Descendants of Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.

And of course other Battenberg/Mountbatten descendants of Queen Victoria were Louise's brother, Prince Louis, later known as Earl Mountbatten of Burma; their sister Princess Alice, later Princess Andrew of Greece; and her son, Prince Philip, now Duke of Edinburgh.

Ah yes. There have been a few famous Mountbattens.

But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.

yes, as marsel has mentioned adove, louise was a descendant of the old queen !!.
moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.
btw charles edward, duke of albany had succeeded his uncle alfred, duke of saxe coburg gotha in 1900 !!......the next duke should have been the very same prince arthur, duke of connaught (father of the adove named margartha), but he had renounced his and his descendants rights of succession to the german duchy !!............:flowers:

It amazes me how many descendants this woman had.
She was the true Grandmother of Europe. :flowers:

:previous:
yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !! :flowers:

moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.
Interesting... I knew Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla were second cousins, but I didn't know (or rather, I had forgotten), that it was through Queen Victoria. Thank you for reminding me.

yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !! :flowers:
Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.

Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.

Two of QVs children have no living descendants. Princess Louise had no children and Princess Helena had only the one grandchild who never had any children.
Considering this and that sevarl branches were 'heavily pruned' (The Romanoffs and the Hess-Darmsdarts) it is still quite an achievement to have so many descendants.

I'm actually surprised that there are so few descendants, when compared to other families. My father, for instance, has over 100 first cousins, and if you go back to an ancestor who died ca. 1900, I'm pretty sure you'd find more than 450 descendants.

Wow, over 100 first cousins? And I thought my mother had many first cousins... Well, that just shows how many descendants a person can have after a few generations.

i would also like to add that the queen had a total of 820 recorded descendants in all !!

820 wow! Are the Hapsburgs related too

yes the old queen has some habsburg descendants....her great grandaughter princess ileana of rumania had married archduke anton of austria / prince of tuscany in 1931, they had several children !! :flowers:

two other links with the habsburgs....
prince max, margrave of baden had married archduchess valerie of austra / princess of tuscany in 1966, whilst his brother prince ludwig of baden had married princess mariannne of auersburg breunner in 1967. her mother was a member of a morganatic branch of the habsburg family.....the counts / countesses von meran.......

Last edited:
thanks buddy for the update......as i had mentioned my set of two figures were as of 1997 some years ago now !! ;)

links with the house of savoy

there has been marriages between the queens descendants and the house of savoy......

prince philipp, landgrave of hesse had married princess mafalda of italy in 1925.....and
princess irene of greece had married prince aimone, 4th duke of aosta in 1939..... :D

Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.

Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.

wasnt prince phillpp, considered the head of the whole house of hesse, besides that of hesse kassel.

i think this came abt with the death of his cousin prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine in 1968.....he died without issue !!. however some years before prince ludwig had adopted as his son, prince moritz of hesse kassel, the eldest son of prince philipp and princess mafala of italy!!

btw prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine is another descendant of queen victoria, through her daughter princess alice, grand duchess of hesse , whilst prince philipp is descended from another of the queens daughters victoria empress of germany......:)

You're right in your considerations;
Prince Philipp of Hessen-Kassel became Landgrave of Hessen in 1940, at the death of his father Friedrich Karl. He married in 1925 Princess Mafalda of Savoy, with whom he had 4 children.
In 1968 he became the head of ass the House of Hesse, on the death of Grand Duke Ludwig, a son of Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig (brother of Empress Alexandra of Russia, Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia and the Marchioness of Milford Heaven) and Grand Duchess Eleonore.
Philipp died in 1980, and he was succeded in all his titles by his firstborn son Mauritz, who has been adopted in the 60s by Grand Duke Ludwig.
Mauritz is also the claimants to the throne of Finland, claims inherited by his younger brother Heinrich, who had inherited them by their uncle Wolfgang, twin brother of Philipp.

Mauritz is also the claimants to the throne of Finland, claims inherited by his younger brother Heinrich, who had inherited them by their uncle Wolfgang, twin brother of Philipp.

yes......the landgrave friedrich karl (father of philipp) was elected king of finland sometime in oct 1918, but he withdrew acceptance the following month !!(the british and french would not accept a brother in law of the kaiser as the king of finland) so i can not see as to why any of his decendants should be considered as cliamants to the throne of finland !!. true prince wolfgang was envisoned to be the crown prince of finland, but nothing more !!.

another unlikely scenario is......would the princes von hessen be considered to be claimants to the throne of rumania today !!. for in july 1941, the germans wished to depose king michael (yet another descendant of queen victoria) and place instead his cousin prince friedrich of hohenzollern sigmaringen as king. but the italians perferred and regarded prince philipp, landgrave of hesse as king...............:whistling:

But this last thing was only an idea of the Germans...nothing happened...so...
Moreover there are strict family relationships between King Michael of Romania and Landgrave Moritz of Hessen, since they are second cousins, it would not be a nice thing to claim to hsi cousin's (ex) throne...

well mafan.......it is just as absurd for the princes von hessen to be regarded to have a claim to the throne of finland than that of rumania !!.

why.....being elected a king is not the same as being a king......the landgrave of hesse was never inaugurated as the king of finland !!

it would be like the descendants of prince alfred (son of queen victoria), being regarded as claimants to the throne of greece, because it so happened that he was once elected king of greece before that of prince william of denmark !!. some years later prince williams brother, prince waldemar of denmark was elected (or at least was offered) the throne of bulgaria.....does this mean that his descendants are regarded as claimants to that throne ? well no.....

thus imo the princes von hessen should not be regarded as claimants to the throne of finland !! .......:flowers:

Last edited:
Let's not get too far off topic. The term "claimant" does not necessarily mean the person is claiming or has ever claimed anything.

my apologies

sorry warren !!
well you know how it is.....one thing leads to another.....;)

ties of marriage between queen victoria's descendant's

it may be of interest that there has been 21 marriages between the descendants of the queen !! (as of 1997)
in no particular order.....
1, prince louis ferdinand of prussia / grand duchess kira of russia 1938
2, prince franz wilhelm of prussia / grand duchess maria of russia 1976
3, prince andreas of leinigen / princess alexandra of hanover 1981
4, prinnce georg wilhelm of hanover / princess sophie of greece* 1946
5, king paul I of greece / princess friederike of hanover 1938
6, prince hienrich of prussia / princess irene of hesse 1888
7, prince andrej of yugoslavia* / princess chrisitna of hesse 1956
8, king george II of greece / princess elizabeth of rumania 1921
9, king peter II of yugoslavia / princess alexandra of greece 1944
10, king carol II of rumania / princess helen of greece 1921
11, king juan carlos of spain / princess of sophie of greece 1962
12, king constantine of greece / princess anne marie of denmark 1964
13, prince christoph of hesse / princess sophie of greece* 1930
14, prince philip of greece / queen elizabeth II of great britain 1947
15, prince arthur of connaught / princess (lady) alexandra (duff) 1913
16, prince gottfried of hohenlohe langenburg / princess margartia of greece 1931
17, prince tomislav of yugoslvia / princess margarita of baden 1957
18, grand duke georg of hesse / princess cecilia of greece 1931
19, grand duke ernst of hesse / princess victoria melita of saxe coburg gotha 1894
20, prince andrej of yuogoslavia* / princess kira melita of leiningen 1963
21, prince gustaf adolf of sweden / princess sibylla of saxe coburg gotha 1932
*denotes the same person

another habsburg link

i had forgotten to mention, that the mother in law of queen victoria eugenie "ena" of spain (granddaughter of queen victoria) was born a habsburg.....
queen maria christina of spain was born into the teschen branch of the habsburg family. her mother had married twice and by her first husband (an archduke of austria este) she had a daughter maria theresa, who went on to be queen of bavaria.
btw this queen of bavaria, upon the death of queen victoria in 1901 was proclaimed queen mary IV / III of great britain, as she was the rep and heir gen of king charles I of england !!! :)

And as QV had a sister and a brother, how many of their descendants have married QV descendants.
One important one.
Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (grandson of QV) married Princess Augusta Victoria of Schleswig Holstein Augustenburg (granddaughter of QVs sister, Princess Feodara of Leingen.
Another
Prince Ernst of Hohenlohe Langenburg (grandson of Princess Feodara of Leinginen) married Prinxess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Grandaughter of QV)

Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (grandson of QV) married Princess Augusta Victoria of Schleswig Holstein Augustenburg

btw.... the uncle of empress augusta, prince christian of schleswig holstein sonderburg augustenburg had married princess helena, the 3rd daughter of queen victoria.....:D

Back
Top Bottom