The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanE View Post
I first got interested in royalty about 27 years ago when I read "Jennie," the biography of Winston Churchill's mother. In that book I met Edward VII and his family. Shortly thereafter, I started figuring just which royals were related to each other. Needless to say, they are all related. I thought a thread about Queen Victoria's descendants would fit in nicely here.

I'm looking forward to questions, answers, and discussions on this topic. :)

You can also check out the Richard Sotnick's book "The Coburg Conspiracy" due to be released this month. It's very informative for those not yet familiar with the rise of the Coburg family and how they acquired thrones, which clearly helped their social standing at the beginning of the 19th century.

If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush View Post
So there are still monarchs out there who are not related to Queen Victoria? It really amazes me that most of the European monarchies are descendants of Queen Victoria and marrying each other.
Probably. But, the british royal family is tangled with intermarriages. A lot of the royal couples nowadays share some parts of their family heritage.

If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 PM

But, the question also is, how sure are we that Queen Victoria and her husband are related? Weren't there rumors of their paternities?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalflush View Post
But, the question also is, how sure are we that Queen Victoria and her husband are related? Weren't there rumors of their paternities?
Rumors surrounding Prince Albert's paternity is one of conspiracies presented in Richard Sotnick's book "The Coburg Conspiray". The book presents two possibilities of his paternity, 1) a certain Friedrich Blum, who was servant in the ducal household, and 2) Leopold I of Belgium, his uncle.

The first possibility is based on the "family history of the Blums" and the similarities in physical appearance in Blum's descendants. The second possibility is based on a journal entry of the Louise stating that she and Leopold were inseparable. This supposedly happened during the conception of Albert.

On Queen Victoria's paternity, other sources say a certain John Conroy was her father. He was her mother's private secretary and household comptroller; who was also an Irish soldier.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
And don't forget that Christian IX of Denmark was the Grandfather of Europe. He, like Victoria, has many descendants on the thrones of Europe.
I think Christian IX was known as the "Father-In-Law of Europe," not the Grandfather.

Christian IX (1818–1906) was the father of:
Alexandra of Denmark, who married King Edward VII of the United Kingdom
Frederick VIII of Denmark
His son became King Haakon VII of Norway
George I of Greece
Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark), who married Czar Alexander III of Russia
Thyra of Denmark, who married Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover

Christian IX is also the grandfather of Nicholas II of Russia, Haakon VII of Norway & Queen Maud of Norway (they married as first cousins), Christian X of Denmark, George V of Great Britain, and Constantine I of Greece.

I think it's through Christian IX that the Greek Royal Family can call themselves "of Denmark." At first I thought it was because the current generation are children of Queen Anne-Marie, but then I read more about it and discovered Christian IX.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Serene Highness

Haakon VII was his grandson, not his son.

I would say he was not only the father/father-in-law of Europe for one generation, but also the grandfather of Europe for the next.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Christian had 6 children

- Frederik VIII
- Queen Alexandra of UK
- George I of Greece
- Marie Feodorovna, Empress of Russia
- Thyra, Duchess of Cumberland and Teviotdale.
- Prince Valdemar

He had 39 grandchildren.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:12 AM

The Victorian lineage.

I'm interested into QV's children, her grandchildren with their family and the great-grandchildren with their family.
I've been reading and studying it for years.
My pref ones are Queen Alexandra, Princess Toria of Wales and the last Empress of Russia, Alix.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Victoria sure had some interesting grandchildren and great grandchildren because some grandchildren included
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Tsarina Alexandra of Russia
Queen Marie of Romania
King george v of England
Queen maud of Norway
Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
Victoria Melita
They all led interesting lives that may have included scandal and affairs and her great grandchildren were the parents if the present monarchs of Europe who are just as interesting as their parents.

If you are a decencent of queen Victoria docent that make you in line to the throne of England ?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Royal Family Connections

I am new here, and hope that someone will be able to help me. Please forgive me if what i have to say has been said already.

I was wondering does anyone know of a website that would allow a person to check out any connections there is between the British Royal families, and the other Royal families around europe.

My knowledge of the Royal Family in the UK is rather small, and am only learning since the queen visited Ireland. I know for example, through her husband there is a connection between the UK and is it Greece or Denmark. Are the families connected to other nations.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

As long as you aren't Catholic and/or married to a Catholic and as long as your parents were married when you were born and you aren't adopted, yes.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Gentry

They're pretty much all related. A good place to start is the family tree going back to Victoria, which shows the relations to several other royal families.

British monarchs' family tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So long and goodnight...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Serene Highness

My dear cmkrcwi,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you cannot marry a Catholic without renouncing your right to the succession. If you marry, and your spouse later becomes a Catholic, then I think you still maintain the right to succeed to the throne.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Majesty

You don't have to renounce anything. The ban on RC only applies to the monarch so it has no affect on anyone until they are to be the monarch e.g. if Charles is a closet RC then there is nothing affecting him at the moment but the instant he would become King he would then be excluded.

No letters or notices have to be given on marrying a RC or on converting to RC.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Nobility

Many European royals today are tall to very tall - think Infanta Cristina of Spain, and her brother, the Prince of Asterias. HM Queen Victoria was said to be under 5 feet tall. Was she an exception to 'the rule?'
As Cristina and her bro are descendants of HM Queen Victoria, as are many other royals in Europe, did tallness began with HM's offspring? Were HM's, who is known as the mother of royalty in Europe, children of varying heights? Was HM Christian IX of Denmark, who is considered the grandfather of European royalty, a tall man? Are is tallness in royals basically a given? IK HM QEII is only 5' 4", but her mother, the late Queen Mum, was shorter than her elder daughter. Any answers?
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Majesty

I don't know about other royal houses but from seeing all the wedding gowns of Victoria, Alexandra, Mary, The Queen Mum and The Queen in the same room in 2002 it is obvious just how short Victoria was but it also seems that Alexandra was somewhat taller.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Serene Highness

Aren't also people generally taller these days than they were in the 19th century? That might have been true about royals as well.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM

Unknown person - picture ID

who can help me to identify the person on the picture?
Presumably a descendant of the Queen Victoria!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown person.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	283281  
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky2010
Could it possibly be Queen Victoria's cousin victorie?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky2010 View Post
It could be Marie,Duchess of Coburg,Victoria's daughter in law...

Any version of the whole painting to be sure?