The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.
And of course other Battenberg/Mountbatten descendants of Queen Victoria were Louise's brother, Prince Louis, later known as Earl Mountbatten of Burma; their sister Princess Alice, later Princess Andrew of Greece; and her son, Prince Philip, now Duke of Edinburgh.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

Ah yes. There have been a few famous Mountbattens.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.
yes, as marsel has mentioned adove, louise was a descendant of the old queen !!.
moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.
btw charles edward, duke of albany had succeeded his uncle alfred, duke of saxe coburg gotha in 1900 !!......the next duke should have been the very same prince arthur, duke of connaught (father of the adove named margartha), but he had renounced his and his descendants rights of succession to the german duchy !!............
Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It amazes me how many descendants this woman had.
She was the true Grandmother of Europe.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Nobility

yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydep View Post
moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.
Interesting... I knew Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla were second cousins, but I didn't know (or rather, I had forgotten), that it was through Queen Victoria. Thank you for reminding me.

Quote:

yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !!
Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.
Two of QVs children have no living descendants. Princess Louise had no children and Princess Helena had only the one grandchild who never had any children.
Considering this and that sevarl branches were 'heavily pruned' (The Romanoffs and the Hess-Darmsdarts) it is still quite an achievement to have so many descendants.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I'm actually surprised that there are so few descendants, when compared to other families. My father, for instance, has over 100 first cousins, and if you go back to an ancestor who died ca. 1900, I'm pretty sure you'd find more than 450 descendants.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, over 100 first cousins? And I thought my mother had many first cousins... Well, that just shows how many descendants a person can have after a few generations.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
i would also like to add that the queen had a total of 820 recorded descendants in all !!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

820 wow! Are the Hapsburgs related too
Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Nobility

yes the old queen has some habsburg descendants....her great grandaughter princess ileana of rumania had married archduke anton of austria / prince of tuscany in 1931, they had several children !!

two other links with the habsburgs....
prince max, margrave of baden had married archduchess valerie of austra / princess of tuscany in 1966, whilst his brother prince ludwig of baden had married princess mariannne of auersburg breunner in 1967. her mother was a member of a morganatic branch of the habsburg family.....the counts / countesses von meran.......
Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Descendants of Victoria von Hannover
This website reports 1047 descendants of Queen Victoria...a very big number!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Nobility

thanks buddy for the update......as i had mentioned my set of two figures were as of 1997 some years ago now !!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Descendants of Victoria von Hannover
This website reports 1047 descendants of Queen Victoria...a very big number!
Let me just say WOW!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Nobility

links with the house of savoy

there has been marriages between the queens descendants and the house of savoy......

prince philipp, landgrave of hesse had married princess mafalda of italy in 1925.....and
princess irene of greece had married prince aimone, 4th duke of aosta in 1939.....
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Whats Landgrave mean??
Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.
wasnt prince phillpp, considered the head of the whole house of hesse, besides that of hesse kassel.

i think this came abt with the death of his cousin prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine in 1968.....he died without issue !!. however some years before prince ludwig had adopted as his son, prince moritz of hesse kassel, the eldest son of prince philipp and princess mafala of italy!!

btw prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine is another descendant of queen victoria, through her daughter princess alice, grand duchess of hesse , whilst prince philipp is descended from another of the queens daughters victoria empress of germany......
Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

You're right in your considerations;
Prince Philipp of Hessen-Kassel became Landgrave of Hessen in 1940, at the death of his father Friedrich Karl. He married in 1925 Princess Mafalda of Savoy, with whom he had 4 children.
In 1968 he became the head of ass the House of Hesse, on the death of Grand Duke Ludwig, a son of Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig (brother of Empress Alexandra of Russia, Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia and the Marchioness of Milford Heaven) and Grand Duchess Eleonore.
Philipp died in 1980, and he was succeded in all his titles by his firstborn son Mauritz, who has been adopted in the 60s by Grand Duke Ludwig.
Mauritz is also the claimants to the throne of Finland, claims inherited by his younger brother Heinrich, who had inherited them by their uncle Wolfgang, twin brother of Philipp.