Exposing Imposters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
That was back then. The titles actually denoted where the person lived or how close he was to the King and usually meant he was a person of note, position or importance.

Buying a title today is easy. Do an internet search for "buy a title" and there you have it. As Beatirx Fan stated, the titles of the peerage cannot be bought and from what I've seen, its a waste of money. Sure you can call yourself "Lord" or "Lady" or whatever and flash a piece of paper to impress your friends but in actuality, the title is an empty one. Why anyone would do this is beyond me and makes me think some folks have more money than brains. Its like BF said, a name. Look at Queen Latifah or Prince or Burger King. The names try and make you think of something that's the top of the heap but in the end, its just a name.

There was a reality type program years back on TV where 12 girls competed in Britain and the winner won a "title" and a certain cash award. It had nothing to do with the British nobility, peerage or aristocracy but just dangling something "impressive".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I have little time for imposters or people claiming this and that - I know who the Queen is and doubt very much indeed whether the British public could be bothered with dealing with other claimants.
Remember when that chap in Australia was found to be the last living decedent of someone or other who would have been our monarch had the rules not changed vis-a-vis Electress Sophia - never heard about him again. Then there was a chap claiming to be Princess Margaret's illegitimate son - never heard from him again either.
My great grandmother apparently sewed dresses for Queen Victoria (more likely sewing fishing nets down at the docks) but I doubt I will start clambering the gates of Buckingham Palace demanding her sewing kit back!

With regard to buying titles, I am happy to say that people who seek a title and go as far as to buy one are very common indeed and would not be the sort of people one would think should hold such things.

:previous:
The Australian claimant was the senior most descendant of George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence, the brother between Edward IV and Richard III. His claim is actually a valid one in that it is verified he is who he is, and 500 years ago his ancestors were very much still fighting the Tudors for the throne. To me, his claim is interesting in much the same sense that Franz of Bavaria's claim is interesting, but not actually one that's ever going to change the monarchy.

I would never attempt to denigrate or belittle anyone that has done the research and has a sense of pride in who their ancestors were, where they lived and what they accomplished (or didn't) in their lifetime. It gives one a sense of continuity from our past as much as a birth of a child, grandchild or great grandchild in one's lifetime gives us the sense of continuity that will stretch on into the future long after we are gone. Being adopted, my family tree starts with me as I have never put any effort into finding my ancestral tree but I can claim to be a great grandmother though.

It is using one's real or imagined blood ties to try and make oneself to be something different from who they already are in the here and now that I think is delusional.

Anyone know of the Earl of Harwood? Not Harewood, but Harwood?

One thing for sure, the guy has a bit of moxie to be able to dream this up.

This takes " indulging your children " to a whole new level. And US citizens can't hold Royal titles, can they?

This takes " indulging your children " to a whole new level. And US citizens can't hold Royal titles, can they?

As a naturalized US citizen I don't like the idea of citizens holding titles but Princess Madeleine's daughter evidently does(I'm assuming it will not be used in the US).

But your point is a good one.

This man is evidently trying to get official recognition from the surrounding countries. Crazy story.

This is ridiculous! Smacks of colonialism and the worst type of self-aggrandizement.

It must be quite a wasteland if no other country has bothered to claim it, even for the sake of extending a border.:D Presumably no-one lives there. :ermm:

Anyone know of the Earl of Harwood? Not Harewood, but Harwood?

There is no peerage connected with the surname Harwood. It must be Harewood. The name however is pronounced as "Harwood" and that probably has caused a misunderstanding.

:flowers:

There is no peerage connected with the surname Harwood. It must be Harewood. The name however is pronounced as "Harwood" and that probably has caused a misunderstanding.

There was a peerage connected with the name of Harwood (not Harewood) in Roxburgh County...

Baroness Katherine Elliot of Harwood (1903-1994), born in beautiful Glen House, estate of the Tennant family... She was politician, member of the House of Lords and daughter of Sir Charles Tennant, Baronet and Lady Tennant (nee Marquerite Agaranthe Miles), cousin of politician Sir Philip Miles,2nd Baronet...

Her siblings and half-siblings included Edward, Lord Glenconner of The Glen (ancestor of the famous model Stella Tennant), Harold Tennant of Great Maytham Hall, Margot,Countess of Oxford and Asquith(wife of Prime Minister), Nancy,Baroness of Crathorne and Margaret de Vere Loder, Baroness Wakehurst...

Hope this helps a bit ;)

Last edited:
a fake princess selling titles in palm springs

a women named karen cantrell has changed her name to princess legally. she claims to a a great granddaughter of one of the kings of england and of benjamin franklin. she also claims to do a lot of charity work and collects donations, as well as sell titles of false nobility to people and claims that the money goes to these charities. Has anyone ever heard of this con artist? she has been written up in several california local publications.

a women named karen cantrell has changed her name to princess legally. she claims to a a great granddaughter of one of the kings of england and of benjamin franklin. she also claims to do a lot of charity work and collects donations, as well as sell titles of false nobility to people and claims that the money goes to these charities. Has anyone ever heard of this con artist? she has been written up in several california local publications.

She also could have slathered herself with butter and called herself a roll but she'll never be chosen for someone's dinner plate.

There's a whole lot of folks out there that are nothing but frauds and should be prosecuted as such IMO. Big thing here in WV is there's been warning put out to folks to be on guard for solicitations to aid and support the people of Nepal as this is a prime opportunity for cons and scams. They say there's a sucker born every minute and there's plenty of people out there that go looking for them.

The Earl of Harewood (pr. Harwood) is a grandson of Mary, Princess Royal. A sister of King George VI. He is in line to the throne. Mary married Viscount Lascelles (pr. Lassels) as he was known then. Heir to the Earldom and grandfather of the present Earl.

Gerard

Probably of the order of the "Ritterschaft Herzogtum Anhalt e.V." which he invented himself and sold it for 6.000 EUR to people who wanted to have such an order....
Now wasn't ZsaZsa's husband adopted by a Princess of Anhalt? I seem to recall reading that some place. Also as a side note, there is a small community off of Texas Hwy 46 in Comal County north of San Antonio called Anhalt.Not much really there.:whistling:

TThis woman's remark about George V being Hitler's father is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. Everyone knows that Adolf's father was Alois Hitler, born Alois Schikelgruber,son of Maria Schikelgruber. Later on she married a fellow by the last name of Heidler(Hitler). He never adopted Alois. It was from what I have read that many years later Alois went to have his name changed and that Johann Nepomic Heidler agreed with witnesses that his late brother was Alois's father.Heck Supposedly Alois's mother worked in Vienna for some relatives of the Rothchilds.This theory had been put forth.Truth is we don't know who fathered Alois Hitler. His father could have been a hungarian or czech or whatever ethnic group was floating around the Austro Hungarian Empire at the time.

Story goes my boyfriend's ex-wife's maternal family say they are descendants of the Earl of Harwood, who came to America somtime in the 1700's. Because of their descent from this Earl, they are in line for the British throne. They have in their possession a painting, handed down for many generations, that they say is painting of this Earl. First of all, they would to be descended from Sophia, Electress of Hanover, to be in line for the British throne; is my understanding of this correct? Secondly, I have never found any information on any _________ of Harwood in the English aristocracy or royalty. So to me, the entire story falls apart from the onset. Maybe this generation of her family did not make it up, it just may be a made-up story from a long time ago. The person in the painting could be anybody and the painting may have been found in someone's roadside trash many years ago. I am only asking because all of the boys in his ex-wife's immediate family (their son, and her nephews) were all given the middle name, "Harwood." My boyfriend hated the name, but she insisted because it represented her heritage. His son also dislikes the name, but it is what it is. A bogus story meant to impress, there is fool born every minute. I would have done research before believing such garbage. What are your thoughts on the subject Duc_et_pair?

^ Edward Lascelles, first Baron Harewood, had a large sugar fortune in the West Indies, and many plantations. He did business with the American colonies as they were then, though debts were left due to the American Revolution. He died without legitimate issue. (That doesn't mean there weren't illegitimate descendants. Many West Indian plantation owners had mistresses and led irregular lives.) His estates were inherited by his cousin Edward who became the First Earl.

That certainly doesn't mean of course that this family was descended from the Electress Sophia or has royal blood at all, but there might have been a connection with the Harewood family (the Lascelles) that became twisted and misremembered over the centuries.

^ Edward Lascelles, first Baron Harewood, had a large sugar fortune in the West Indies, and many plantations. He did business with the American colonies as they were then, though debts were left due to the American Revolution. He died without legitimate issue. (That doesn't mean there weren't illegitimate descendants. Many West Indian plantation owners had mistresses and led irregular lives.) His estates were inherited by his cousin Edward who became the First Earl.

That certainly doesn't mean of course that this family was descended from the Electress Sophia or has royal blood at all, but there might have been a connection with the Harewood family (the Lascelles) that became twisted and misremembered over the centuries.

Thanks for the info!

NotHRH, Princes Mary, daughter of George V married Viscount Lascelles (heir to the Earldom of Harewood) in the 1920's. Some of their descendants have emigrated to the USA and are in line to the throne. The year 1700 must somehow be a mistake.....

NotHRH, Princes Mary, daughter of George V married Viscount Lascelles (heir to the Earldom of Harewood) in the 1920's. Some of their descendants have emigrated to the USA and are in line to the throne. The year 1700 must somehow be a mistake.....

No, there is no mistake. That's my point my bf's ex-wife's family:1) are just liars (not surprising), or 2) the lie was from a past generation of her family. The painting in their possession could be of anybody - bought from an estate sale, flea market, or somebody's trash on the side of the road. Some people believe (and trust) what's told to them without a second thought, I am not one of those people. The info I have given in this forum has only lead me back to my original assumption - it is all just BS. Thank all of you for the insight to figure this crap out.

I have never found any information on any _________ of Harwood in the English aristocracy or royalty.

There was a peerage connected with the name of Harwood (not Harewood) in Roxburgh County...

Baroness Katherine Elliot of Harwood (1903-1994), born in beautiful Glen House, estate of the Tennant family... She was politician, member of the House of Lords and daughter of Sir Charles Tennant, Baronet and Lady Tennant (nee Marquerite Agaranthe Miles), cousin of politician Sir Philip Miles,2nd Baronet...

Her siblings and half-siblings included Edward, Lord Glenconner of The Glen (ancestor of the famous model Stella Tennant), Harold Tennant of Great Maytham Hall, Margot,Countess of Oxford and Asquith(wife of Prime Minister), Nancy,Baroness of Crathorne and Margaret de Vere Loder, Baroness Wakehurst...

Hope this helps a bit,although it doesn't have any real connection with your story except the name of Harwood,not Harewood...

But,this story sounds more reasonable...

Hope this helps a bit,although it doesn't have any real connection with your story except the name of Harwood,not Harewood...

This was a life peerage, one of the first. Not an hereditary one. She wasn't in line to the throne either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rami_Jaber

This man, Rami Al-Husseini, claims to be "Palestenian prince" and "Prince of Jerusalem". His notable ancestor was Amin al-Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem (religious leader), but I don't see how that would make him a prince. Grand Mufti of Jerusalem is not neither a royal or noble title and could not be inherited.

Does "Prince of Jerusalem" title even exist or did he just make it up?

I know of the title 'king of Jerusalem', which was used by the crusader kings. Claims could be made bu the king of Spain, the two heads of the house of the Two Sicilies, the two claimants of the house of Savoy/Italy, Archduke Karl and by the prince de Ligne de la Tremoille. But those are the only ones.

There was also a Lusignan line that moved from through the Middle East and later to Russia. Louis de Lusignan ha-Aluf Hen was ennobled by Tsar Nicholas I and received among others the title Prince of Jerusalem. He had a son Michael but he did not have any descendants. I doubt that Mr. Jaber descends from him though.

An interesting article about the Lusignan descendants:
Alternative GenHist: Jewish Princes Lusignan

As you say, a mufti is not a noble / hereditary title so the claim is bogus indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rami_Jaber

This man, Rami Al-Husseini, claims to be "Palestenian prince" and "Prince of Jerusalem". His notable ancestor was Amin al-Husseini, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem (religious leader), but I don't see how that would make him a prince. Grand Mufti of Jerusalem is not neither a royal or noble title and could not be inherited.

Does "Prince of Jerusalem" title even exist or did he just make it up?

Looks like he wrote his own wikipedia page. All references to him online as a race car driver never mention him being a prince. Because he is not. The top of the wiki article points out that there are not enough citations for it. I'm not sure how to report it to wiki but I'm trying to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom