Descendants of Royals of the British Isles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skydragon

Imperial Majesty
City
London and Highlands
Country
United Kingdom
I am descended from Alfred the Great but my line of descent branches out before it reaches Edgar. Can I still make my claim? Oops. I must run. I'm late for my tiara fitting.

:lol: that's so funny I have a friend that says "If 14 million people die in the UK, I can claim the throne"

Yeahh right ..

I read in the article about ´legions of French, Italian, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish and Canadian´ who are hopeful to claim the throne.
But where are the GERMANS? Today i will start to root through my family tree!:lol:

milla Ca said:
I read in the article about ´legions of French, Italian, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish and Canadian´ who are hopeful to claim the throne.
But where are the GERMANS? Today i will start to root through my family tree!:lol:

My paternal grandmother once showed me a postcard of the Crown Regalia of GB and said "We're related to this.", but she also never liked to talk about geneology and family history. My paternal grandfather and my mother would talk about it quite a bit and my grandmother would always get up and leave the room when they started. My grandfather would then say something like "Be careful - You might find out something you didn't want to know.".

Deep down I know I meant to wear a tiara! :king:

milla Ca said:

Although I live in the U.S., my family is from Germany. I'm a direct descendant of Edgar. I know several other fellow posters who are direct descendants as well.

Last edited:
I think it was reported that 25% of the legitimate claimants are from the US!

There must be something wrong with that article milla Ca, I don't see any of TRF's claimants on the list! :lol:

Skydragon said:
There must be something wrong with that article milla Ca, I don't see any of TRF's claimants on the list! :lol:

I know Skydragon, i also read it twice to find my own name...but nothing...:sad:

Australian said:
Of course I can claim the British throne, but I don't think I will, I'm much too busy at the moment :)

What a relief that will be for Her Majesty! :lol:

Skydragon said:
English throne is mine, mine, mine -hopefuls claim
LONDON (Reuters) - Hundreds of hopefuls have stepped forward to claim the throne of England after a worldwide quest by genealogists to find a rightful heir.
English throne is mine, mine, mine -hopefuls claim
Hundreds of hopefuls claim English throne Hundreds of hopefuls have stepped forward to claim the throne of England after a worldwide quest by genealogists to find a rightful heir.
Hundreds of hopefuls claim English throne - Sify.com

Can I claim the English Throne? Let me think...
I'll pass, even though I would love that Tower of London to put some of the people in my office for time-outs :rolleyes:
Kidding aside, the current family wins the throne hands down just on longevity and royal DNA. Queen Elizabeth can trace her ancestry almost to the Big Bang and she and her Royal Cousins have more crowned heads in their past than any of those neo-claimants.

Last edited:
Well, allegedly I'm a descendant of William I through my father and then bad King John through my mother. There have to be some later Plantagenet and Stuart, not to mention Hanoverian, descendants around here. (Both parents have some roots in old New England -- I'm a distant cousin of Crown Princess Pavlos as a result of that. And Camilla and I have shared French roots in Quebec.)

I can trace my ancestry back to the Glücksburgs (more exactly to Elisabeth Friederike Sophie Amelie Charlotte of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck ) so I guess I could claim the English Throne:lol: in some weird way

crisiñaki said:
I can trace my ancestry back to the Glücksburgs (more exactly to Elisabeth Friederike Sophie Amelie Charlotte of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck ) so I guess I could claim the English Throne:lol: in some weird way

If your ancestor is Elisabeth von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (1780-1862), you're a direct descendant of Edgar Aetheling because Elizabeth is a 22nd generation descendant of Edgar.:flowers:

kirstengrafin said:
If your ancestor is Elisabeth von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck (1780-1862), you're a direct descendant of Edgar Aetheling because Elizabeth is a 22nd generation descendant of Edgar.:flowers:

Thank you so much for the Info!:flowers::flowers::flowers:
And people say you never learn anything on forums:lol:

crisiñaki said:
Thank you so much for the Info!:flowers::flowers::flowers:
And people say you never learn anything on forums:lol:

If you want to see how your line descends from Edgar, I'll be happy to PM the info to you.

By the way, some of your ancestors have ties to every royal house in Europe.:flowers:

kirstengrafin said:
If you want to see how your line descends from Edgar, I'll be happy to PM the info to you.

By the way, some of your ancestors have ties to every royal house in Europe.:flowers:
I know, you should see some of the things I got from my grandmother
And now I know why my first name is Dagmar:flowers:

Last edited:
I'm closest related to the Princes of Kohary-Koburg and thus the royal families of Bulgaria, Portugal, Belgium, and Brazil. I think any claim I make to Britain would be somewhat remote...although my great-great-grandfather shared his surname with Edward VII...

Prince of Chota said:
I'm closest related to the Princes of Kohary-Koburg and thus the royal families of Bulgaria, Portugal, Belgium, and Brazil. I think any claim I make to Britain would be somewhat remote...although my great-great-grandfather shared his surname with Edward VII...

Antonia Koháry, Princesse de Koháry (1797-1862), who married Ferdinand, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1785-1851), is a direct descendant of Edgar Aetheling many times over. :flowers:

did my family tree and if scotland was still an independent monarchy i could be queen after the 8,000 people before me died lol

Supposedly I can claim a relation to William the Conqueror but don't think I have anything to any of the earlier groups there so I'd be out. It's all theory, still working on the paperwork to back everything up.
As it is, I'm just a good ol' mutt also.
I can prove I'm a descendant of the Mayflower pilgrims, eligible to join various societies here such as Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Daughters of the Confederacy, and Colonial Dames but I don't have time to do any of their activities as it is. Perhaps when I retire I can spend more time on researching family trees, gathering stories and photographs as I would like. I'm currently scanning all our current family albums to try to preserve what I can for my niece should she show an interest later on. It will have to go to her or one of my other cousins to pass down the line but at least it won't be lost.

I've traced my father's side back to 1522 in Scotland, but I don't think I have the "Royal" connection!

Well, I doubt it but we did find a direct line to one of the Gonzaga lot which puts me in the Bohemian line, so I suppose I'd have some kind of claim if bird flu takes hold and wipes out everyone but me and a small duck called Colin.

I've traced my father's side back to 1522 in Scotland, but I don't think I have the "Royal" connection!

An American who doesn't claim to be related to the Scots royal family, now you are a rarity! Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claimes decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.

My sister is one of our town's experts on geneology, and she did a lot of research about our ancestors already when she was in High School. Over here in Sweden, the priests were supposed to register all births, weddings and deaths in their "church books". This means that Sweden and Finland (which was our colony until 1809) has unusually good records from centuries back. But you usually only get as far as to the 1700s or the 1800s. But on our mother's father's side, my sister could follow one line back to the middle ages. And someone there was connected to some royal houses of the time. I could probably never claim any thrown though.

Last edited:
Well does being related to the royal family of Spain count? Im still trying to put it all together but I think it might be kind of remote. Its kind of hard to link the puzzle. Our family never really talked about the history much so Im still trying. Would be interesting though.:flowers:

Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claimes decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.

Bobby's wife was locked up by the English for 13 years and that gave him lots of time to beget lots of illegitimate brats!:lol:

My sister is one of our town's experts on geneology, and she did a lot of research about our ancestors already when she was in High School. Over here in Sweden, the priests were supposed to register all births, weddings and deaths in their "church books". This means that Sweden and Finland (which was our colony until 1809) has unusually good records from centuries back. But you usually only get as far as to the 1700s or the 1800s. But on our mother's father's side, my sister could follow one line back to the middle ages. And someone there was connected to some royal houses of the time. I could probably never claim any thrown though.

The same register goes for Denmark. Would be fun though if there was a king amongst the forefathers.

Then there must be similar records in Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands too, since they belonged to Denmark.

Back
Top Bottom