Descendants of Royals of the British Isles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can trace my ancestry back to the Glücksburgs (more exactly to Elisabeth Friederike Sophie Amelie Charlotte of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Beck ) so I guess I could claim the English Throne:lol: in some weird way

Than you are related in some way to every royal ;) she married Count von Richthofen...

Her descendants nowadays also include Princes von Hessen(Kassel line),Princes Reuss zu Köstritz,Counts von Schönburg-Glauchau etc.

I am of course the next Heir to the throne.

I am a direct descendant of Robert The Bruce of Scotland. Who's descendants have been usurped by the existing Stewart's of England. I am also a direct descendant of King Carl of Sweden from the 1600's. I can trace my ancestry back to the time of the battle of Hastings in 1066.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize there were descendants of William the Conqueror at Plymouth. I knew there were quite a few at Jamestown, one of which was Captain Francis Taylor's wife, Martha Thompson (through a direct but certainly not Salic line). Those are my ancestors (who, via several routes, are descendants of Charlemagne, Pepin of Italy, William the Conqueror, Jean of Acre (Plantagenet), and so on, until the number of illegitimate kin and daughters and younger sons adds up to an awful lot of us being very far from the throne.

At any rate, Queen Elizabeth II is also a descendant of William the Conqueror, so it's not as if the British have entire rejected the family.

I don't have reason to believe that i'm descended from any families with claim to any thrones particulary now. Most of my ancestors seemed to be commoners with the occasional noble mixed into branches according to last names.

Though I am also descended through the McKinnon family tree.

I am somehow related to Elizabeth II through George Washington, whose line goes back to the ancient Kingdom of Northumberland and King Conan. George Washington had no issue, so we step over to his sister, Betty and her husband Fielding Lewis, from whom my American family descends. This is on my mother's side. On my father's side, it is said that they are descendants of the Mongol Hoardes who who settled in Hungary. This line is said to go back to Ghengas Khan. My father was born in the U.S. after his parents landed here from Hungary in 1924. I look just like my father, but my "mongol" characteristics are somewhat diluted by mother's bloodline.

I'm probably in line, but I like the life I have now!

Last edited:
i can claim... number 2279 on the list hahahaha.... a lot of good that does me. i'm still broke. but i can prove it.... simply,
Sophia → George I → Sophia Dorothea of Hanover → Sophie of Prussia → Dorothea of Brandenburg-Schwedt → Duke Wilhelm of WürttembergWilhelm, Duke of Urach → Princess Auguste Eugenie of Urach → Count Rudolf von Enzenberg... Euginie Von Enzenberg, Maris Caroline von Blanckenstein.... then to my mother and to myself

In that case you have descended from Bourbons,Habsburgs as well as from Ruffo(family of Queen Paola of Belgium),Lucchesi-Palli,Pignatelli and also from Baronets of Thornton ;)

yes as well as many others including josephine tascher (boneparte).
i am still some broke commoner though. i dont have a title or a claim to a thing... i dont think... would be nice though

Well, allegedly I'm a descendant of William I through my father and then bad King John through my mother. There have to be some later Plantagenet and Stuart, not to mention Hanoverian, descendants around here. (Both parents have some roots in old New England -- I'm a distant cousin of Crown Princess Pavlos as a result of that. And Camilla and I have shared French roots in Quebec.)
King Edward I (Longshanks/Plantagenet) was my 23rd great grandfather (if my genealogical records are correct.

hi,I'm new here so please forgive me if if this is out of place,but I was wondering if you can test your dna against royal dna to see if your related.
and if you are and it is a sensitive case do you think they would deny the results out of national security or some kind of secrecy act or something. thanks jim.

Unless it was an extraordinary case, eg identification of the remains of the family of Tsar Nicholas II, the answer would be a firm and unequivocal NO.

do you mean you can't get tested or do you mean they can't deny you if it's proven,and its a pretty extraordinary case if it's true,but its a long story and I think if it is true not many people alive would know about it,and some would prefer it not be known.

Last edited:
You can get tested as often as you like but there's buckley's of any royal person making their genetic code or DNA samples available to all and sundry.

So it hasn't been done before,also could you point me in the right direction of any historians or anyone who could shed some light on any questions I might have,someone who knows about the royals from about 1920's-1950's any help would be much appreciated.

Get a bit more specific ;) about whom do you want to know ...

You seem to implay that you have (illegitimate) royal roots (one of the cases, that a mother told: " your father was prince amonge men" ;) ) ..

I can't see where there would arrise a problem for "national security" or anything like that... illegitimate children are common - and never a problem, as long their are legetmate heirs :)

I was just wondering if there's anywhere you can find out that kind of stuff,I don't want to just out with it in public,but if anyone can genuinely help me out then cheers.

Start with a biography, and take it from there ;) .. that time is very well documented.

Well my family name descends from a medieval Scottish warlord, don't think I have any connection to the British Throne though.

I am distantly related to most royal houses in Europe, including the British Throne. But I am not in line for any throne :)

You can get a swab DNA test from at least one major genealogy site that I know of and go from there. I can't see members of royal families putting their genetic material into a database, but you could possibly find some matches with people who have some sort of royal connection further back than the time period you're interested in.

hi,I'm new here so please forgive me if if this is out of place,but I was wondering if you can test your dna against royal dna to see if your related.

Maybe?

Well sure somewhere along the line I would have a claim. I can trace my family tree from my dad, through his mother (Lorna) and then through plenty of princes, princesses, lords etc, until we get to William De Meschines, Richard I of Normandy, and then Charlamagne (Charles the Great) Holy Roman Emperor. So im a direct descendant of Charlamagne and also the First King of England. My tree is pretty interesting to read and "freaked" my dad out when i finalised it after 2 years research. The only reason why we have no entitlement now is due to "law or Peerage". But if they were desperate, guess that would be the case. A direct relative descendant was also on the first Order of the Garter aswell as signing of the Magna carter.

I am distantly related to most royal houses in Europe, including the British Throne. But I am not in line for any throne :)
Then you must be distantly related indeed, as there are hundreds of possible claimants to the British throne. If you're not one of those, either your relation to the British royal family must go further back than Sophia of Hannover, who lived three hundred years ago, or your ancestor became a Catholic, married a Catholic or was born out of wedlock.

Yes, I read somewhere that in order to be in line for the throne, you must be a direct descendant of Sophia of Hanover, which I am not.

Prince Phillip participated in a DNA study so as to ascertain the identity of the two bodies found near the Romanoff killing site (there was a match). So some of his royal DNA is known (and in the medical and anthropological journals, particularly in Russian, there's quite a bit of information). He is mtDNA H, for example. And the subtype of his H has been published. Some ancient kings of Denmark have been typed, too - and there will probably be more and more of that kind of thing...

I miss out on being anywhere in line for the Hanoverian throne of England. But, I am still on board for an overthrow of the Hanoverians for a Plantagenet - that man in Australia who is the proper eldest male lineal relative of...was it Edward Plantagenet-York?

Direct Descendent?

I did my research and it appears this is my direct blood line. I haven't gone any futher back yet.. Am I correct or are my resources wrong?

My 25th Great Grandfather: Geoffrey V Plantagenet who had a son,

my 24th Great Grandfather- Henry II King of England Plantagenet who had a son,
My 23rd Great Grandfather, John Lackland Plantagenet King of England, who had a son,

My 22nd Great Grandfather, Henry III Plantagenet King of England, who had a son,

My 21st Great Grandfather, Edmund Crouchback 1st Earl Lancaster Plantagenet, who had a son
My 20th Great Grandfather, Henry 3rd Earl of Lancaster PLANTAGENET, who had a daughter,

My 19th Great Grandmother, Lady Joan of Lancaster ,Baroness DeMowbray Princess of England Plantagenet, who had a son,

My 18th Great Grandfather, Lord John Thomas DeMowbray Lord Norfolk, who had a son,
My 17th Great Grandfather, Thomas DeMobray,Duke of Norfolk,1st Earl of Nottingham, who had a daugther,

My 16th Great Grandmother, Margaret de Mowbray, who had a son,

My 15th Great Grandfather, John Howard Duke of Norfolk, who had a son,
My 14th Great Grandfather, Thomas I Howard Earl of Surrey, who had a son,

My 13th Great Grandfather, Thomas Lord Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, who had a son,

My 12th Great Grandfather, Sir Robert Howard of Syon House, who had a son,

My 11th Great Grandfather, Sir John Howard, who had a son,

My 10th Great Grandfather, Matthew Howard, who had a daughter,

My 9th Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Howard (Ridgely), who had a daughter,

My 8th Great Grandmother, Sarah Ridgely (O'Dell), who had a son,

My 7th Great Grandfather, Thomas O'Dell, who had a son,

My 6th Great Grandfather, James O'Dell, who had a son,

My 5th Great Grandfather, Thomas O'Dell, who had a son,

My 4th Great Grandfather, James O'Dell, who had a son,

My 3rd Great Grandfather, William O'Dell, who had a son,

My Great Great Grandfather, William Henry O'Dell, who had a son,

My Great Grandfather, William Baxter O'Dell, who had a son,
My Grandfather, David Chester O'Dell, who had a daughter,

My Mother, Marlene Sue O'Dell, who had ME!

Any feedback would be great!!

Thanks!

Question, if the current queen is my 53rd cousin, do you have any idea what my place is in the line of succession?

...I am still on board for an overthrow of the Hanoverians for a Plantagenet - that man in Australia who is the proper eldest male lineal relative of...was it Edward Plantagenet-York?

That would be George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence, Edward IV's brother. Theirs was the house of York. The line today descended from his daughter, Margaret Pole. And good luck with your claim!;)

Last edited:
Question, if the current queen is my 53rd cousin, do you have any idea what my place is in the line of succession?

If you are not a direct descendent of the Electress Sophia of Hannover from a legitimate child then you have no place in the line of succession. The Queen has first cousins (through her mother) who have no place in the line of succession, while Philip has first cousins through his mother that are in the line of succession.

There are many descendents of the Electress who aren't in the line of succession because they come from an illegitimate child e.g. all the descendents of William IV (who haven't subsequently made a marriage to a legitimate descendent).

The Act of Settlement restricted claimants to those who are descendents of Sophia so that is the first criteria. If you are such a descendent, but not a descendent of Queen Victoria - it would be past 4000 as there are about 4000 direct descendents of QV.

that man in Australia who is the proper eldest male lineal relative of...was it Edward Plantagenet-York?

Not eligible - Parliament is supreme in the UK and Parliament passed a very specific piece of legislation that restricted the line of succession to the descendents of the Electress Sophia of Hannover.

As for the man in Australia - he has no claim anyway as his claim is based on a fallacy - that Edward IV's father wasn't his father. Doesn't matter - in law if the father recognises the child as his the child is his and so Edward IV was legitimate and so his position was legitimate.

Back
Top Bottom