Descendants of Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
who can help me to identify the person on the picture? Presumably a descendant of the Queen Victoria!

Not a descendant - a daughter-in-law.
As Marc23 correctly guessed, it is Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia - the wife of Prince Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Duke of Edinburgh. The work is by the famous miniature artist David Mossman; it was painted around 1874 and is currently part of the Royal Collection. You can see the details of the miniature at the royal collection website.

Last edited:
In an article I once read, that the tallness of today´s youth is due to the increased consumption of sugar

Four Generations

I am new on this forum, and basically joined it to ask a question that's been bothering me for a while. It is about this picture- a Victorian commerative 'die cut' scrap depicting Queen Victoria, the Prince of Wales, a young man who I can only assume is Bertie's eldest son, the young Duke of Clarence (elder son of the future George V) and.. who? I am very puzzled about the identity of the boy. The Duke of Clarence died before he had any children, his brother George was 18 months years younger than the Duke of Clarence so the boy is clearly not George - and anyway it says four generations.
The boy can't be the future Edward VIII- as then his father George would be in the picture- and he isn't. So- who is he???
6775476823_152af44c05.jpg

I think it is George V, Edward VII and the boy is Edward VIII.

Hello Lumutqueen!

I thought of that - but here is a photo taken of the future Edward VIII as a baby- his christening. You can see his father, and the young man in my scrap is clearly too young and not beardy enough to be him. :)

360945.jpg

The scrap seems to be from the 1880s?

There were lots of photos and souvenirs of "the four generations" produced in the 1890s and the all show a group with the young Edward VIII- like the above photo. Except for my souvenir scrap.

Last edited:
Then it may be Albert Victor and the boy is still Edward VIII.

I don't know if it's him, but the young man resembles the Duke of Albany a lot.

Ah, but if it's Albert Victor, it would have to be him as a very young man, a teenager from the early 1880s. He died in 1892 (and had a dashing pointy moustache as an adult) . Edward VIII was born in 1894, so I don't think it can be him...

Last edited:
It is a very curious item. The young man does look more like the Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence than his younger brother Prince George, who wore a beard from his time in the navy in the 1880s. But it can only be Prince George for the reasons you gave in your first post. Assuming the boy is the future King Edward VIII, and he must be to apply the title "Four Generations", it was produced around the late 1890s years after Albert Victor had died. It's almost as if whoever made it used the wrong image for Prince George.

It is a very curious item. The young man does look more like the Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence than his younger brother Prince George, who wore a beard from his time in the navy in the 1880s. But it can only be Prince George for the reasons you gave in your first post. Assuming the boy is the future King Edward VIII, and he must be to apply the title "Four Generations", it was produced around the late 1890s years after Albert Victor had died. It's almost as if whoever made it used the wrong image for Prince George.

I'm inclined to agree. The young man really should be the future George V- but he clearly isn't. I think the future Edward VIII was Victoria's first Great-Grandson?

I'm inclined to agree. The young man really should be the future George V- but he clearly isn't. I think the future Edward VIII was Victoria's first Great-Grandson?

Think that was Prince Waldemar of Prussia, grandson to Victoria, The Princess Royal. He was born 1889 when Edward was born 1894.

:previous:
Queen Victoria's first great-grandchild was Princess Feodora of Saxe-Meiningen (daughter of Princess Charlotte, daughter of the Princess Royal) born in 1879.
Victoria's first great-grandson was Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia (son of Wilhelm II, himself son of the Princess Royal): he was born in 1882.

It's almost as if whoever made it used the wrong image for Prince George.

IMO it's not a very good picture at all, the figures are sort of 'awkward' and seem like something people nowadays would do with photoshop; stick together a couple of separate images to make one new image.. more directed at sentimental value than historic accuracy, so they may well have used the wrong images :)

:previous:
Queen Victoria's first great-grandchild was Princess Feodora of Saxe-Meiningen (daughter of Princess Charlotte, daughter of the Princess Royal) born in 1879.
Victoria's first great-grandson was Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia (son of Wilhelm II, himself son of the Princess Royal): he was born in 1882.

Yes, I think you may be right- it could be him. That would make this a Golden Jubilee souvenir- 1887

Here he is in 1887:
325px-Die_Gartenlaube_%281887%29_b_565.jpg

It could be him- the first Great grandson, and the young man a youthful Albert Victor. That seems like the most likely suggestion so far.

i love these family pictures :) might this 4 generations picture http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/ObjView/II-80726.0.1.jpg be with the first granddaughter?
That's not Feodora, I'm afraid. The baby is Princess Alice - Prince Philip's mother. :)
Little Alice sits on the lap of her mother, Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (Princess Louis of Battenberg), the daughter of Princess Alice of Great Britain (Queen Victoria's third child). The elder Alice had died before her granddaughter was born, so the lady behind them is her sister, Princess Beatrice of Great Britain (Queen Victoria's youngest daughter). Here is a larger version of the great picture.

It's quite interesting how the link from Queen Victoria to Prince Philip is preserved in that one single picture of baby Alice and her great-grandmother.

Image copyright expired, courtesy of Royal Collection.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:
another thought on seriykotik1970 's original post... do you think they intended the 4 generations to be: british royal family, oldest son, oldest grandson, oldest great-grand-son?

another thought on seriykotik1970 's original post... do you think they intended the 4 generations to be: british royal family, oldest son, oldest grandson, oldest great-grand-son?
Usually, such generation pictures depict direct descendants of each generation (like the famous pictures of Queen Victoria, George V, Edward VII and Edward VIII). However, sometimes another relative may make an appearance for whatever reason. For instance, in the picture of little Princess Alice, Princess Beatrice takes the place of her late sister. It is possible that the scrap posted by seriykotik1970 had a similar "guest".

It is also possible the little boy is Crown Prince Wilhelm of Prussia (the dating certainly matches): in that case, the boy was included to simply represent an "additional" generation as he was Queen Victoria's first great-grandson.

Four Generations

...The boy can't be the future Edward VIII- as then his father George would be in the picture- and he isn't. So- who is he???
It's nothing more than a particularly poor representation of the Royal Family. No-one looks remotely like they actually did and Queen Victoria is recognisable more because we know who it is and the context, and by her familiar seated position and widow's cap

Here are two depictions of the same scene plus one from a few years earlier

There is no copyright involved with these images.
◘ The first [1897] is another artist's impression; The PoW and VRI are passable, but George bears little resemblance to reality and the representation of David is simply diabolical.

◘ The second [1894] is a photo of sorts but even making allowance for the scratchiness, George looks slightly odd. And that's overlooking the set of faint angular devil's horns he appears to have acquired. The Queen may have moved her head slightly during the long exposure so her face is not quite as sharp.

◘ The third [1897] is a more true to life photo and probably as close as we get to the real deal.
An observation in passing: in this photograph George looks better tailored and more dapper than his father. Who would have thought? :D

Attachments

• Four Generations painting.jpg
    Four Generations painting.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 750
  • Four Generations 1.jpg
    Four Generations 1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 548
  • Four Generations 2.jpg
    Four Generations 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 867
Is it certain that the older man in the picture is Edvard VII, queen Victoria had three other sons and there are a lot of similarities in looks between Edward and Alfred. The younger man looks like he is blond, and Alfred's son Alfred (young Affie) seems to have been blond. If it was those two in the picture, the boy could then be prince Carol of Romania, his mother Marie being the daughter of the older Alfred and sister of the younger one.

The first is it Victoria and the next kings? Edward VII, George V and possibly the future duke of Windsor .

The first is it Victoria and the next kings? Edward VII, George V and possibly the future duke of Windsor .

Picture is in indeed QV, the future Edward VII, the future George V, and the future Edward VIII (after his abdication in Dec 1936, HRH The Duke of Windsor)

If it's Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII with Victoria, it doesn't really resemble George V at all and the crush velvet outfit of the young child seems totally off since the children of George and Mary were wearing sailor outfits in a lot of the photos of them when small.

If it's eldest son, grandson and great grandson, isn't the Kaiser Wilhelm the oldest grandson of Victoria not Eddy?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I've had a thought. It is obviously Victoria, but the man beside her on the right wearing what appears to be a British uniform could be the blonde and bushy-bearded Frederick III of Germany, her beloved son in law who was a great favourite in England. He was gravely ill from cancer and died of course in 1888. (That scrap looks more 1880's than 1890's which would be when David (Edward) was growing up.)

The young man to the left with the moustache looks like the future Kaiser Wilhelm II before he started waxing his moustache into points. He was Queen Victoria's eldest grandson, in his twenties when he married and his eldest son, again Wilhelm, was born in 1882, perfect for the little boy.

Freidrich's illness wasn't really known by the general public and I'm wondering whether the 'Four Generations' title refers not to dynasties but to the close relationship of these future Kaisers to their mother in law, grandmother and great grandmother, with this composition dating from say 1887. What do you think?

Last edited:
Four Generations

Curryong, you could be right. The man in red uniform has only one knighthood badge on- if this was Bertie Prince of Wales wouldn't he have multiple plus he isn't wearing a Garter sash? Also the younger adult is hiding is left arm and doing the Napoleon stuff your hand in your shirt move. The Kaiser had a bum left arm from birth.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/513903007454132076/

^ I have seen photos of Frederick with a full bushy beard, especially when his children were younger. Illustrators who compiled these set scrap pieces often weren't interested in complete accuracy.

It just appears to me that the figure of the younger man resembles Wilhelm II more than it does Albert Victor and, as Skippyboo has pointed out, the placement of his arm is interesting. I've also never seen pictures of David and his brothers dressed in velvet and lace Little Lord Fauntleroy suits, while Dona (Augusta, Wilhem's wife) was very fond of them and there are photos of several of her sons in them.

If I'm correct then that would explain the odd absence of George Duke of York and the difficulties about Albert Victor and David being in the same picture, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
If it's Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII with Victoria, it doesn't really resemble George V at all and the crush velvet outfit of the young child seems totally off since the children of George and Mary were wearing sailor outfits in a lot of the photos of them when small.

If it's eldest son, grandson and great grandson, isn't the Kaiser Wilhelm the oldest grandson of Victoria not Eddy?

I have seen this pic several times with all identified as I have id'd them before. Matter of fact saw it 2 days ago with the same identifications of those in question. It was all about direct in succession to the throne of GB, nothing else.

It might be so. Then Queen Victoria has her son on her right and on her left is Prince Albert Victor (as his brother never had a moustache and no beard.) And the little boy is? Not David as he wasn't born when his uncle was alive....

Or, it is Victoria, Albert Edward, a completely unrecognisable future King George V (who was clean shaven until he grew a beard) and an equally unrecognisable David, who never wore a little Lord Fauntleroy outfit.

I'm questioning this above interpretation as I don't believe it!

Last edited:
I have seen this pic several times with all identified as I have id'd them before. Matter of fact saw it 2 days ago with the same identifications of those in question. It was all about direct in succession to the throne of GB, nothing else.

I would be interested in a link or reference where you saw the pic with the names included, i tried to find something like that but no luck as of yet ;)
thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom