Descendants of Catherine The Great

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princeofitaly

Nobility
City
Turin
Country
Italy
Who are the descendants of Catherine The Great?

I read that the royal families of Netherlands and England descend from empress Catherine II.

I read that the royal families of Netherlands and England descend from empress Catherine II.

As the whole Romanov family is descended from Catherine and her husband tsar Peter, any Royal family with a Grand Duchess of Russia married into it is descended from Catherine.

Queen Elizabeth not but her descendants do, through the Duke of Edinburgh. His paternal grandmother Q. Olga Constantinova of Greece was a Russian Grand Duchess and a great granddaughter of Empress Catherine.

The Kents descend from her in three ways through Pss Marina
Marina -> Nicholas -> Queen Olga of Greece -> GD Constantin Nicholaievitch of Russia -> Emperor Nicholas I -> Emperor Paul -> Catherine the Great.
Marina -> GDss Elena Vladimirovna of Russia -> GD Vladimir Alexandrovitch -> Emperor Alexander II -> Emperor Nicholas I -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great
Marina -> GDss Elena Vladimirovna of Russia -> Dss Marie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin -> GD Friedrich-Franz II -> GD Paul Friedrich -> GDss Elena Pavlovna of Russia -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great

Of the reigning royal families the Dutch descend from Catherine twice: through Q. Anna Pavlonva and from her sister Elena Pavlovna, Hereditary GDss of Mecklenburg.

The Danish queen descends from Catherine the Great four times.

Twice through Queen Alexandrine of Denmark, nee Dss of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. She descended from Elena Pavlovna though her father. Through her mother GDss Anastasia Michaelovna of Russia, was a granddaughter of Emperor Nicholas I, who was Catherine's grandson.

Another connection is through Sweden. Here there are also two connections:
Margrethe II -> Ingrid -> Gustaf Adolf -> Victoria of Baden -> Louise of Prussia -> Augusta of Saxe-Weimar -> Maria Pavlovna of Russia -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great.
Margrethe II -> Ingrid -> Margaret of Connaught -> Luise Margareta of Prussia -> Friedrich Karl of Prussia -> Marie of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Maria Pavlovna of Russia -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great.

The Swedish King descends from Catherine twice through his father, who was a brother of Q. Ingrid.

The king of Spain descends from Catherine the Great in several ways:
Felipe VI -> Sofia of Greece -> Paul I of Greece -> Constantine I of Greece -> Olga Constantinova of Russia -> Constantin Nicolaevich of Russia -> Emperor Nicholas I -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great.
Felipe VI -> Sofia of Greece -> Paul I of Greece -> Sofia of Prussia -> Friedrich III -> Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Maria Pavlovna of Russia -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great
Felipe VI -> Sofia of Greece -> Frederika of Hanover -> Victoria of Prussia -> Wilhelm II -> Friedrich III -> Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Maria Pavlovna of Russia -> Emperor Paul I -> Catherine the Great

The monarchs of Norway, Belgium and Luxembourg do not descend from Catherine.

Note that the children of the king and queen of Greece descend from Catherine in seven different ways.

Last edited:
Wow! A great number of descendants of Catherine II!
Thank you very much for the answers!

Did Catherine have known children by any of her lovers?

Did Catherine have known children by any of her lovers?

Yes.

She had one officially recognized son. His name was Aleksy. He was the son of her lover Count Grigory Orlov. Aleksy was named after his Uncle and godfather, Count Aleksy Orlov. Grigory was known for his part in helping to dethrone Peter III, and giving Catherine the famous Orlov Diamond. Aleksy was raised to the ranks of a Count by his half brother Paul. He was given the name Bobrinsky for the estate he was raised on. His descendants continue today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobrinsky

There were also rumors that Elizabeth Temkina was her daughter with Potemkin but that is highly disputed. Aleksy is her only recognized child outside her marriage.

Last edited:
:previous:
Catherine was said to project her turbulent relationships with Count Potemkin on the girl. Furthermore, she did not want children. Yelizaveta was sent away to be raised by her father. I do not remember anyone disputing it in Russia.

Last edited:
:previous:
Catherine was said to project her turbulent relationships with Count Potemkin on the girl. Furthermore, she did not want children. Yelizaveta was sent away to be raised by her father. I do not remember anyone disputing it in Russia.

Thank you for having the opportunity to join this forum.

The question is: Were Catherine the Great and Count Potemkin married?
The second question is: Had they children?
And the last question is if these questions are answered with a "yes": Is it possible that descendants of this family branch live today? What is their position?

If it is not too improper, I would like to make a request: is there a historian for dynasties of the high nobility (Russian, German, English, Jewish) who is prepared to look at a few important documents and answer some questions that I understandably do not want to utter here?

Thank you for taking time to read my request.

Thank you for having the opportunity to join this forum.

The question is: Were Catherine the Great and Count Potemkin married?
The second question is: Had they children?
And the last question is if these questions are answered with a "yes": Is it possible that descendants of this family branch live today? What is their position?

If it is not too improper, I would like to make a request: is there a historian for dynasties of the high nobility (Russian, German, English, Jewish) who is prepared to look at a few important documents and answer some questions that I understandably do not want to utter here?

Thank you for taking time to read my request.

No. There is plenty of speculation they were, but no historical documents backing it. And historians today dispute such claims as family legend.

As was discussed above your post, there is suggestion they had a daughter. That Elizabeth Grigoryevna Temkina was their love child. But she was never acknowledged by Catherine. It is said she appeared in the household of Potemkin, and the court rumors were that she was Catherine's.

https://painting-planet.com/portrait-of-elizabeth-grigoryevna-temkina-by-vladimir-borovikovsky/

If she was indeed their daughter, she did marry and have children.

https://www.geni.com/people/Ivan-Khristoforovich-Kalageorgy/6000000017637918744

Her husband was of Greek origin and was at court for a time as a companion to Catherine's grandson Grand Duke Konstantine.

If someone has the time to go through the geneology website link there may be some living descendants listed.

As Catherine never acknowledged the child, her children had no positions and any descendants of her line are private citizens.

Last edited:
We only care about her lol

I'm fine not knowing or caring about the fathers or if they were married at the time lol.
I just want to know if anyone has kept track of HER descendants, specifically through her daughters, as mitochondrial dna would be the easiest way to do so.

I remember reading an article years ago about the descendants of Alexis Bobrinsky, Catherine's illegitimate son by Grigori Orlov. So it's quite possible that, if there are descendants of Elizabeth Temkina, they know who they are - but, as I understand it, it was all just a rumour and she probably wasn't Catherine's daughter at all.

Back
Top Bottom