Descendance from Charlemagne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HollyDolly

Commoner
City
Schertz
Country
United States
Well I'm curious how many children Charlemagne really had and the names of these children.I might have to go to Wikipedia or Google to try to search for their names out of curiosity. As you state the royal blood would be pretty well diluted by now whether from Charlemagne or someone else.My late father's family in Nuremberg has the family history book and found out by accident when searching for information that there is also a book on his family in the state archives in Hamburg. Whether we have any connection to Charlemange don't know.Certainly wouldn't make me Queen of France even if we were kin. Same goes if by some chance it turned out we we related in some ways to the Wittelsbach who ruled Bavaria or related to the Ducal family of Baden or even the Hapsburgs. Would be interesting ,but absolutely meaningless.

Well I'm curious how many children Charlemagne really had and the names of these children.I might have to go to Wikipedia or Google to try to search for their names out of curiosity. As you state the royal blood would be pretty well diluted by now whether from Charlemagne or someone else..

There are royals who can genuinely claim though that they descend from Charlemagne. For example, King Felipe Vi of Spain.

There are royals who can genuinely claim though that they descend from Charlemagne. For example, King Felipe Vi of Spain.

Any modern royal who is descended from Queen Victoria, can claim descent from Charlemagne. Victoria is a direct descendent of William the conqueror who himself was a nine time great grandson of Charlemagne through his son Pepin.

-Elizabeth: not only through Victoria, she is descended through her grandmother Mary. The Techs are descended from Henry II's daughter Matilda where the Windsors are of course from his son John.
-Felipe- is descended through Victoria's daughter Beatrice
-Harald- is descended of course from Edward VII's daughter Maude
-Margrethe and Carl Gustaf are descended through Arthur of Connaught (his daughter Margrat was a grandmother to them both)
-the Greek royals are descended from Victoria's eldest daughter, making Felipe a two time descendent of Victoria through both his parents

The Dutch royals are also descended from Charlemagne, along the same family line as the Techs, through Henry II's daughter Matilda. They diverge some generations later.

As Charlemagne was an ancestor of Johan Willem Friso, who (with his wife) is the most recent common ancestor of every currently ruling European monarch, then every currently ruling European monarch can trace their ancestry to Charlemagne.

One line from Charlemagne to JWF is:
1. Charlemagne
2. Pepin, King of Italy
3. Bernard, King of Italy
4. Herbert I, Count of Vermandois
5. Herbert II, Count of Vermandois
6. Robert de Vermandois, Count of Meaux
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert II, Duke of Brittany
11. William the Conqueror
12. Henry I of Normandy
13. Matilda of England
14. Henry II of England
15. Matilda of England
16. William Longsword
17. Otto the Child
18. Ludwig the Junker
19. Herman the Learned
20. Louis the Peaceful
21. Henry the Rich
22. Elisabeth von Hessen
23. William the Rich
24. Johann VI Von Nassau-Dillenburg
25. Ernst Casimir van Nassau-Dietz
26. Willem Frederik van Nassau-Dietz
27. Hendrix Casimir van Nassau-Dietz
28. Johan Willem Friso

All of them can, but not only royals. Most people of fully or partially noble/aristocratic descent can claim it, including myself.

Last edited:
As Charlemagne was an ancestor of Johan Willem Friso, who (with his wife) is the most recent common ancestor of every currently ruling European monarch, then every currently ruling European monarch can trace their ancestry to Charlemagne.

1. Charlemagne
2. Pepin, King of Italy
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
12. Henry I of Normandy
13. Matilda of England
14. Henry II of England
15. Matilda of England
16. William Longsword
17. Otto the Child
18. Ludwig the Junker
19. Herman the Learned
20. Louis the Peaceful
21. Henry the Rich
22. Elisabeth von Hessen
23. William the Rich
28. Johan Willem Friso

Good point, but I was actually thinking of a different line for the King of Spain. He is a direct descendant of Hugh Capet, who in turn descends from Charlemagne.

Last edited:
That's another one too. There's sooo many different lines - I just went for the one that grabbed everyone in one go.

I would assume that every non-reigning European royal house could also trace their ancestry to Charlemagne fairly easily. The fact is that if they're a descendant of Queen Victoria, Christian IX, or Johan William Friso they'll be descended from Charlemagne, and most of the European royal houses descend from at least one of those 3.

1. Charlemagne
2. Pepin, King of Italy
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
12. Henry I of Normandy
13. Matilda of England
14. Henry II of England
15. Matilda of England
16. William Longsword
17. Otto the Child
18. Ludwig the Junker
19. Herman the Learned
20. Louis the Peaceful
21. Henry the Rich
22. Elisabeth von Hessen
23. William the Rich
28. Johan Willem Friso

Oh, that's a nice one Ish! I just may add that to my JWF-diagram.

I would assume that every non-reigning European royal house could also trace their ancestry to Charlemagne fairly easily.

Except Montenegro...

Let's do the math!!!!!

1. Charlemagne
2. Pepin, King of Italy
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
12. Henry I of Normandy
13. Matilda of England
14. Henry II of England
15. Matilda of England
16. William Longsword
17. Otto the Child
18. Ludwig the Junker
19. Herman the Learned
20. Louis the Peaceful
21. Henry the Rich
22. Elisabeth von Hessen
23. William the Rich
28. Johan Willem Friso

How many others would be your ancestor in the 28th generation besides Charlemagne and Hildegarde.
1. 1 Prince George
2. 2 Prince William
3. 4 Prince Charles
4. 8 Prince Philip
5. 16 Prince Andrew
6. 32 King George I of Greece
7. 64 King Christian IX of Denmark
8. 128 etc (I could list it all the way out to Charlemagne, but none of us have all night!!)
9. 256
10. 512
11. 1024
12. 2048
13. 4096
14. 8192
15. 16384
16. 32768
17. 65536
18. 131072
19. 262144
20. 524288
21. 1,048,576
22. 2,097,152
23. 4,194,304
24. 8,388,608
25. 16,777,216
26. 33,554,432
27. 67,108,864
28. 134,217,728
generation 40 or 41 = Charlemagne & Hildagarde The number of progenitors in this generation is in the billions.
Since the whole of the world does not claim that many, you are arguably a descendant of anyone who was alive at that time who blood line continues today.
Thus the argument that anyone with European ancestery can rightly claim kinship to anyone they please.
I state these convoluted thoughts for a couple of reasons.
I was curious as to how far I could trace Prince George's ancestory using only Wikipedia. So far, I have him descending for Charlemagne at least 10 times, Alfred the Great at least 5, Peter the Great once, all of the Scottish kings through the Spencers, but the most surprising to me was Harold II Godwinson. I didn't think he had any traceable descendants, but apparently two of his children fled to Denmark and from there married into the Kiev aristoracy. This line comes through Prince Philip's Russian Grandmother. The most interesting people have been in Philip's lines so far. I have only scratched the surface so far.
I knew there was a lot of intermarriage, but my word, I am surprised they haven't all sprouted two heads by now. The further back you go, the more often the same people appear.
I also use these generational ancestral numbers to show, that if you go far enough back, no one is pure anything. If we could trace every ancestor, we will find every race, creed, religion, etc.

Happy New Year All!!!!

Ana

PS Did I mention that Prince George is also a descendant of a sister of Ana Von Cleves?????

PS Did I mention that Prince George is also a descendant of a sister of Ana Von Cleves?????

Well,that's not strange :)

Sybille married a Wettin,Elector of Saxony and was a male-line great-great-grandmother of the first Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld...

And agnatically,Queen Elizabeth II is a member of the Wettin dynasty descended from the Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld line...

Except Montenegro...

Touche. I mean, yes the family can likely trace their ancestry back to Charlemagne as well (statistically speaking, everyone of European descent is descended from him), but it would be somewhat harder to trace it.

There are a few of those odd-ball European royal families that didn't really marry into other families or emerged in the 19th/20th centuries, whose ancestry is harder to trace, but the bulk of them should fairly easily be traced back to Charlemagne.

Touche. I mean, yes the family can likely trace their ancestry back to Charlemagne as well (statistically speaking, everyone of European descent is descended from him), but it would be somewhat harder to trace it.

There are a few of those odd-ball European royal families that didn't really marry into other families or emerged in the 19th/20th centuries, whose ancestry is harder to trace, but the bulk of them should fairly easily be traced back to Charlemagne.

If only Crown Prince Danilo of Montenegro had children,his issue would also be descendants of the Charlemagne as his wife was Duchess Auguste Charlotte von Mecklenburg-Strelitz,granddaughter of Princess Augusta of Great Britain,but...

Oh, that's a nice one Ish! I just may add that to my JWF-diagram.

I agree!

I don't have any projects going on right now and suddenly find myself tempted to try tracing some of Charlemagne's royal descendants...

How many others would be your ancestor in the 28th generation besides Charlemagne and Hildegarde.
1. 1 Prince George
2. 2 Prince William
3. 4 Prince Charles
4. 8 Prince Philip
5. 16 Prince Andrew
6. 32 King George I of Greece
7. 64 King Christian IX of Denmark
8. 128 etc (I could list it all the way out to Charlemagne, but none of us have all night!!)
9. 256
10. 512
11. 1024
12. 2048
13. 4096
14. 8192
15. 16384
16. 32768
17. 65536
18. 131072
19. 262144
20. 524288
21. 1,048,576
22. 2,097,152
23. 4,194,304
24. 8,388,608
25. 16,777,216
26. 33,554,432
27. 67,108,864
28. 134,217,728
generation 40 or 41 = Charlemagne & Hildagarde The number of progenitors in this generation is in the billions.
Since the whole of the world does not claim that many, you are arguably a descendant of anyone who was alive at that time who blood line continues today.
Thus the argument that anyone with European ancestery can rightly claim kinship to anyone they please.
I state these convoluted thoughts for a couple of reasons.
I was curious as to how far I could trace Prince George's ancestory using only Wikipedia. So far, I have him descending for Charlemagne at least 10 times, Alfred the Great at least 5, Peter the Great once, all of the Scottish kings through the Spencers, but the most surprising to me was Harold II Godwinson. I didn't think he had any traceable descendants, but apparently two of his children fled to Denmark and from there married into the Kiev aristoracy. This line comes through Prince Philip's Russian Grandmother. The most interesting people have been in Philip's lines so far. I have only scratched the surface so far.
I knew there was a lot of intermarriage, but my word, I am surprised they haven't all sprouted two heads by now. The further back you go, the more often the same people appear.
I also use these generational ancestral numbers to show, that if you go far enough back, no one is pure anything. If we could trace every ancestor, we will find every race, creed, religion, etc.

Happy New Year All!!!!

Ana

A few years ago I did a similar project (primarily utilizing thepeerage.com and Wikipedia, but I grabbed a couple extra sources to find Kate's (alleged) royal lines).

After a point, most of the DoE's ancestors are also the Queen's - they're closely related through two lines (Victoria/Albert and Christian IX/Louise), and all but 2 of his great-grandparents are descendants of Sophia of the Palatinate.

If you're interested, I can PM you the data regarding which monarchs George is descended from.

Thanks!

A few years ago I did a similar project (primarily utilizing thepeerage.com and Wikipedia, but I grabbed a couple extra sources to find Kate's (alleged) royal lines).

After a point, most of the DoE's ancestors are also the Queen's - they're closely related through two lines (Victoria/Albert and Christian IX/Louise), and all but 2 of his great-grandparents are descendants of Sophia of the Palatinate.

If you're interested, I can PM you the data regarding which monarchs George is descended from.

My project is really just for fun, nothing scholarly at all.
I would like the list of Monarchs very much!!!

It is a lesson in institutional misogyny to see how much further back good information on the men goes than the women.

I would also like to see your information on Kate's antecedents. I can't get anywhere on her at all!!!

Last edited:
Well I'm curious how many children Charlemagne really had and the names of these children.I might have to go to Wikipedia or Google to try to search for their names out of curiosity. As you state the royal blood would be pretty well diluted by now whether from Charlemagne or someone else.My late father's family in Nuremberg has the family history book and found out by accident when searching for information that there is also a book on his family in the state archives in Hamburg. Whether we have any connection to Charlemange don't know.Certainly wouldn't make me Queen of France even if we were kin. Same goes if by some chance it turned out we we related in some ways to the Wittelsbach who ruled Bavaria or related to the Ducal family of Baden or even the Hapsburgs. Would be interesting ,but absolutely meaningless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne ?

Goodness!! No wonder there has been so much crazy over the centuries in these royal families. Hopefully, no one will find anything about the Duchess of Cambridge being related to any royals. She's the last hope to clean up the British bloodlines.

Goodness!! No wonder there has been so much crazy over the centuries in these royal families. Hopefully, no one will find anything about the Duchess of Cambridge being related to any royals. She's the last hope to clean up the British bloodlines.
The Duchess of Cambridge is descended from King Edward IV through her mother, Carole Middleton, and from King Edward III through her father, Michael Middleton.

There are so many children of this line it is difficult to include them all. Perhaps the best way to look is to the House Bourbon. Most members of this house are of the line. And then look at the Coat of Arms of the house you are in. Charlemagne's Coat of Arms has variations of the trinity on it, in clovers, elephants, heads, crowns and so on. Also I happen to know that those out of Sir Thomas Chapman, 10 generation from Robert 1 of France are all of this line through the Chapman side. The Rowlett family is also of this line. Also a large portion of the Mont Sartre are also of this lineage. Perhaps the great warriors' greatest accomplishment is that he left generations to remember him.

I seriously doubt any arms ascribed to charlemagne is contemporary with him

Hello, I am new to the forum. I became very interested in the Royal lines after researching my family. I found out that my mother and father are actually 15th cousins through the Wallaces of Scotland. After looking at their lines, I found that they are different levels of cousin through many different pathways because of their royal ancestors. My line of the royals ended up poor commoners in the US after fleeing religious persecution and siding with the colonies in the American Revolution. Our line goes directly back to Charlemagne. After finding that information, i googled and found information that almost everyone can claim to be a direct descendant of Charlemagne.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I became very interested in the Royal lines after researching my family. I found out that my mother and father are actually 15th cousins through the Wallaces of Scotland. After looking at their lines, I found that they are different levels of cousin through many different pathways because of their royal ancestors. My line of the royals ended up poor commoners in the US after fleeing religious persecution and siding with the colonies in the American Revolution. Our line goes directly back to Charlemagne. After finding that information, i googled and found information that almost everyone can claim to be a direct descendant of Charlemagne.

Hello Anna,
I am a new member of the forum and I have recently had DNA tests done to align with my family genealogy. On the results from NatGeo it listed a series of "famous" people that I have DNA matches to. A few are Queen Victoria and Marie Antoinette on my maternal line and King Richard III on both maternal and paternal lines. I have documented family tree data to early 1600s on some ancestors in England and some to mid 1500s. Is there a process to try to find the links from my records to these historical figures ? are there pedigrees from these people to recent times that can be studied ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kenny

there are many monarchs who can claim descendance from Charlemagne through many ways. For example, Queen Elizabeth Windsor of Great Britain claims descendance 3 ways from Charlemagne. 2 from her father, and one from her mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. The lineage from her mother is:
1. Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor
2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
4. Herbert I of Vermandois
5. Herbert II of Vermandois
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
12. Matilda, Empress of Germany
13. Henry II of England
14.Sir William Longespee
15. William Longespee
16. Ella Longespee
17. Sir Hugh I de Audley
18. Alice de Audley
19. Sir William de Greystoke
20. Sir Ralph de Greystoke
21. Joan de Greystoke
22. Sir William Bowes
23. Sir Ralph Bowes
24. Richard Bowes
25. Sir George Bowes
26. Thomas Bowes
27. Thomas Bowes
28. Sir William Bowes
29. Sir George Bowes
30. Mary Eleanor Bowes
31. Thomas Lyon-Bowes
32. Thomas George Lyon-Bowes
33. Claude Bowes-Lyon
34. Claude George Bowes-Lyon
35. Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Consort
36. Queen Elizabeth II of England

This is the least royal line. The most royal line is beneath:

2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
13. Henry II of England
14. John of England
15. Henry III of England
16. Edward I of England
17. Edward II of England
18. Edward III of England
20. Lionel of Antwerp
21. Phillipa Plantagenet
22. Roger Mortimer
23. Anne Mortimer
24. Richard Plantagenet
25. Edward IV of England
26. Elizabeth of York (Henry VII's wife)
27. Margaret Tudor
28. James V of Scotland
29. Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland
30. James VI and I of Scotland and England
31. Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia
32. Sophia of Hanover
33. George I of Britain
34. George II of Britain
35. Frederick, Prince of Wales
36. George III of Britain
37. Prince Edward Augustus
38. Queen Victoria of Britain
39. Edward VIII of Britain
40. George V of Britain
41. George VI of Britain
42. Elizabeth II of Britain

the final one is a lineage from her grandmother, Mary of Teck.

2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
13. Henry II of England
14. Matilda of Saxony
15. Wilhelm of Braunschweig- Luneberg
16. Otto of Braunschweig-Luneberg
17. Adelheid of Braunschweig-Luneberg
18. Otto of the Hesse
19. Ludwig of the Hesse
20. Hermann of the Hesse
21. Heinrich of the Hesse
22. Elizabeth of the Hesse
23. Johann of Nassau-Dillenburg
24. William of Nassau-Dillenburg
25. Ernest Casimir of Nassau Dietz
26. William Frederick of Nassau-Dietz
27. Hendrik Casimir II of Nassau-Dietz
28. Johann Willem Friso of Nassau-Dietz
29. William IV of Nassau-orange
30. Caroline of Nassau-Orange
31. Henrietta of Nassau-Weilburg
32. Alexander of Wurttemberg
33. Franz of Teck
34. Mary of Teck
35. George VI of Britain
36. Elizabeth II of Britain

(Note: Elizabeth II has 3 other lines that would take to long to name so let me tell you them. The first line is from Mary of Teck's mother, a princess of Britain. The other line is the agnatic ancestor of Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, father of George I of Britain. His agnatic ancestor was William of Winchester or William longsword, also an ancestor of Johann Willem Friso. William of Winchester was the grandson of Henry II of England. The third line is from Henry VII of England, the husband of Elizabeth of York, and father of Margaret Tudor. I am extremely sure she has others but this is what I found)

TELL ME IF YOU FIND MORE!!! AND ALSO IS ANNE OF BOHEMIA AND HUNGARY A DESCENDANT OF CHARLEMAGNE?

I always like to throw this link into any discussion about having Charlemagne for an ancestor. I most likely do and so does everyone if they're of European descent. This really is an interesting link for me. Perhaps to find a real anomaly, we'd have to find a royal that's of European descent and *not* related to Charlemagne. :D

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

what do you mean???

there are many monarchs who can claim descendance from Charlemagne through many ways. For example, Queen Elizabeth Windsor of Great Britain claims descendance 3 ways from Charlemagne. 2 from her father, and one from her mother, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. The lineage from her mother is:
2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
13. Henry II of England
14.Sir William Longespee
15. William Longespee
16. Ella Longespee
17. Sir Hugh I de Audley
18. Alice de Audley
19. Sir William de Greystoke
20. Sir Ralph de Greystoke
21. Joan de Greystoke
22. Sir William Bowes
23. Sir Ralph Bowes
24. Richard Bowes
25. Sir George Bowes
26. Thomas Bowes
27. Thomas Bowes
28. Sir William Bowes
29. Sir George Bowes
30. Mary Eleanor Bowes
31. Thomas Lyon-Bowes
32. Thomas George Lyon-Bowes
33. Claude Bowes-Lyon
34. Claude George Bowes-Lyon
35. Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Queen Consort
36. Queen Elizabeth II of England

This is the least royal line. The most royal line is beneath:

2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
13. Henry II of England
14. John of England
15. Henry III of England
16. Edward I of England
17. Edward II of England
18. Edward III of England
20. Lionel of Antwerp
21. Phillipa Plantagenet
22. Roger Mortimer
23. Anne Mortimer
24. Richard Plantagenet
25. Edward IV of England
26. Elizabeth of York (Henry VII's wife)
27. Margaret Tudor
28. James V of Scotland
29. Mary Stuart, Queen of Scotland
30. James VI and I of Scotland and England
31. Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia
32. Sophia of Hanover
33. George I of Britain
34. George II of Britain
35. Frederick, Prince of Wales
36. George III of Britain
37. Prince Edward Augustus
38. Queen Victoria of Britain
39. Edward VIII of Britain
40. George V of Britain
41. George VI of Britain
42. Elizabeth II of Britain

the final one is a lineage from her grandmother, Mary of Teck.

2. Pepin, King of Italy
3.Bernard of Italy
6. Robert of Vermandois
7. Adele of Meaux
8. Ermengarde of Anjou
9. Judith of Brittany
10. Robert I of Normandy
11. William I of England
13. Henry II of England
14. Matilda of Saxony
15. Wilhelm of Braunschweig- Luneberg
16. Otto of Braunschweig-Luneberg
17. Adelheid of Braunschweig-Luneberg
18. Otto of the Hesse
19. Ludwig of the Hesse
20. Hermann of the Hesse
21. Heinrich of the Hesse
22. Elizabeth of the Hesse
23. Johann of Nassau-Dillenburg
24. William of Nassau-Dillenburg
25. Ernest Casimir of Nassau Dietz
26. William Frederick of Nassau-Dietz
27. Hendrik Casimir II of Nassau-Dietz
28. Johann Willem Friso of Nassau-Dietz
29. William IV of Nassau-orange
30. Caroline of Nassau-Orange
31. Henrietta of Nassau-Weilburg
32. Alexander of Wurttemberg
33. Franz of Teck
34. Mary of Teck
35. George VI of Britain
36. Elizabeth II of Britain

(Note: Elizabeth II has 3 other lines that would take to long to name so let me tell you them. The first line is from Mary of Teck's mother, a princess of Britain. The other line is the agnatic ancestor of Ernest Augustus, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, father of George I of Britain. His agnatic ancestor was William of Winchester or William longsword, also an ancestor of Johann Willem Friso. William of Winchester was the grandson of Henry II of England. The third line is from Henry VII of England, the husband of Elizabeth of York, and father of Margaret Tudor. I am extremely sure she has others but this is what I found)

TELL ME IF YOU FIND MORE!!! AND ALSO IS ANNE OF BOHEMIA AND HUNGARY A DESCENDANT OF CHARLEMAGNE?

This is wrong. She has a ton of lines of descent

This is wrong. She has a ton of lines of descent

Halve of Europe and a bit abroad descends from Charlemagne,like more then halve of present Egypt descends from Ramses II...Oh well,they didn't have FB nor TRF at the time so that was their FB and TRF...

Halve of Europe and a bit abroad descends from Charlemagne,like more then halve of present Egypt descends from Ramses II...Oh well,they didn't have FB nor TRF at the time so that was their FB and TRF...
A lot more than half of Europe descends from Charlemagne. It is closer to the reality to say that literally all people living today who are of modern European extraction (inclusive of people of European descent living in the parts of Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Oceania that were colonized by European powers or by the United States) are descended from Charlemagne. Three factors influence this: First, Charlemagne fathered 18 children. Second, 1,205 years have elapsed since Charlemagne died, which, if we aproximate a new generation for every 20 years, means that 60 generations have since been born. Third, the Black Death killed somewhere between 30% and 60% of the population of Europe in the span of four years during the mid-14th Century, which created a major population bottleneck among Europeans that homogenized the European gene pool to a nigh incomprehenisble degree. All of these three factors combined make it essentially impossible for anyone of European extraction today to not be a descendant of Charlemagne; in fact, the latter two factors make it unlikely that anyone of European descent living today is not a descendant of, basically, every person who lived in Europe in the 9th Century and has descendants who are living today.

Back
Top Bottom