Descendance from Charlemagne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'm curious how many children Charlemagne really had and the names of these children.I might have to go to Wikipedia or Google to try to search for their names out of curiosity. As you state the royal blood would be pretty well diluted by now whether from Charlemagne or someone else.My late father's family in Nuremberg has the family history book and found out by accident when searching for information that there is also a book on his family in the state archives in Hamburg. Whether we have any connection to Charlemange don't know.Certainly wouldn't make me Queen of France even if we were kin. Same goes if by some chance it turned out we we related in some ways to the Wittelsbach who ruled Bavaria or related to the Ducal family of Baden or even the Hapsburgs. Would be interesting ,but absolutely meaningless.

It cannot be said that you won’t be Queen of France, so long as you are a descendant, you are eligible to become a successor in case no one apart from you seeks to succeed

Hello Anna,
I am a new member of the forum and I have recently had DNA tests done to align with my family genealogy. On the results from NatGeo it listed a series of "famous" people that I have DNA matches to. A few are Queen Victoria and Marie Antoinette on my maternal line and King Richard III on both maternal and paternal lines. I have documented family tree data to early 1600s on some ancestors in England and some to mid 1500s. Is there a process to try to find the links from my records to these historical figures ? are there pedigrees from these people to recent times that can be studied ?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kenny

I wouldn’t have suggested DNA test because Royals usually dislike that , it’s just not suited, since you have a family tree data which is normally the case with us ,what you must and could do is research church records, burial records, land ownership records, school records, court records etc

There is a possibility that people don’t have family tree records but are descendants of Royal personalities.

A lot more than half of Europe descends from Charlemagne. It is closer to the reality to say that literally all people living today who are of modern European extraction (inclusive of people of European descent living in the parts of Africa, the Americas, Asia, Australia, and Oceania that were colonized by European powers or by the United States) are descended from Charlemagne. Three factors influence this: First, Charlemagne fathered 18 children. Second, 1,205 years have elapsed since Charlemagne died, which, if we aproximate a new generation for every 20 years, means that 60 generations have since been born. Third, the Black Death killed somewhere between 30% and 60% of the population of Europe in the span of four years during the mid-14th Century, which created a major population bottleneck among Europeans that homogenized the European gene pool to a nigh incomprehenisble degree. All of these three factors combined make it essentially impossible for anyone of European extraction today to not be a descendant of Charlemagne; in fact, the latter two factors make it unlikely that anyone of European descent living today is not a descendant of, basically, every person who lived in Europe in the 9th Century and has descendants who are living today.

A well known actor in the UK Danny Dyer was the subject of an ancestry programme called who do you think you are. It is a regular series on British tv. He is from the traditionally working class east end of London & found that he was descended from Edward III of England.

He was lucky because the programme discovered a gateway ancestor. Probably most if not all (at least western) European origin peoples are descended from Charlemagne. It's just a matter of finding proof.

I will remind you that both Queen Victoria and Prince Albert descend by non-main lines (not reigning royal families) of Elizabeth and Ferdinand, Catholic Kings through the German houses to which they belong.
Fernando I, Emperor of the Holy Roman Germanic Empire, had 15 children whose blood was mixed with the children of his brother, Carlos V, Emperor of SIRG, and with the other German families.
So the common ancestry in principle would be the Catholic kings.

Halve of Europe and a bit abroad descends from Charlemagne,like more then halve of present Egypt descends from Ramses II...Oh well,they didn't have FB nor TRF at the time so that was their FB and TRF...

Most people in Europe descends from Royalty, especially Grandpa Charlemagne, the most famous celebrity descendant I believe is Brooke Shields.

And count me in for the Horus Herds! Per my last check on 23andme, that keeps constantly changing my dad's medieval roots, they added in more Mummy percentage on my last DNA recount. I already said in another post that I'll be buried with a toothbrush and croc sandals for the afterlife. :lol:

I have managed to trace my ancestors back to Charlemagne (via my Dutch side) and also I have worked out that QEII and I are 27th cousins once removed. HOWEVER I do believe there are millions and millions of people that can do the same thing so I'm special in no way whatsoever – but it does make a nice conversational device at parties :lol:

I have managed to trace my ancestors back to Charlemagne (via my Dutch side) and also I have worked out that QEII and I are 27th cousins once removed. HOWEVER I do believe there are millions and millions of people that can do the same thing so I'm special in no way whatsoever – but it does make a nice conversational device at parties :lol:

Does it.As long as you don´t claim the Throne....:whistling:

Awesome EllieCat! it's true that most Europeans probably descend from Charlemagne, but as you know, most can't show that descent. So it really IS interesting to be able to. I've found 4 main lines for myself as well. 2 are rather dubious, but 2 look good! You just need to find a gateway ancestor and then the rest is taken care of. :flowers:

The most recent mention of your common ancestor, Charlemagne, by Matt from the Useful Charts channel in YouTube a few months ago. On this one he charts who, of current Royals/personalities, is the lead family tree on the family and the variations if this was applied in terms of gender, primogeniture etc.
I would be fun if you apply the findings to your current family tree and see the variations you get:

Who is the Most Senior Heir of Charlemagne Today? Part 2: Alternative Answers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom