Collective History of the Royal Families of Denmark, Norway and Sweden

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only done a cursory glance of this so far, but I love what I see. I really love how you seem to have traced all (or at least most of) the monarchs, not just the ones that are direct ancestors to the current crop of monarchs.

If you wanted to, it would be easy to add the Greek monarchs, as with the exception of Otto they all descend from Christian IX.

Also, I'm not sure if you added Cnut the Great and his sons, but if you do you might want to flag that for a time at least they were also monarchs of England.

I think I have the Cnut-line in my English-chart. I will see if I can add them.

Okay, so I've looked at it a bit closer now. A few nitpick-y notes:

• Christian VII, Olaf II (in his line form Canute IV), Magnus the Good (in relation to Eric III), Sigurd I, and Philip of Sweden aren't highlighted
  • You missed Eric Christofferson (who co-ruled with his father, Christopher II), Valdemar III, who was descended from Abel of Denmark (Abel - Eric I of Schleswig - Valdemar IV of Schleswig - Eric II of Schelswig - Valdemar III), Canut VI (elder son of Valdemar I)
  • I'm not sure if you've gone past Estrid Svensdatter and my phone's not showing it to me, or if you haven't (and if you haven't if it's because that's the limit of the spreadsheet), but if you are able to add more from Estrid it's only 3 generations more to have all the non-legendary Danish monarchs (she's the great-granddaughter of Gorm the Old)
  • You have Urika Eleanor and Charles XII right beside each other, likewise with Haakon VI and Eric XII, and Inge the Younger and Philip of Sweden
  • You have a link in Magnus IV's reign dates
  • I'm not sure if you've intentionally not gone earlier than Magnus III for the Norwegians, but that's as far back as I can see
But, again, that's just my nitpicking. I do overall love what you've done here

I like your nitpicking, Ish.
I will look into it. :)

I thought you might.

If you're able to go back to Gorm the Old for the Danes, then I think you're also able to go further back with the Norwegians, as the line seems to intermingle there as well.

The Kalmar Union of 1397 (I've just been on a tour of Norway and always spend ages revising the history of any countries I'm going to - I'm sad like that!!) lasted until 1523, when Sweden had enough of it and broke away, with Gustav Vasa starting a new line of kings there. It was the same sort of thing that happened with Austria, Spain and the Netherlands in the 16th century - royal marriages and people dying meant that one person inherited a lot of thrones! Magnus Eriksson became King of Sweden through his father and King of Norway through his mother. His son Haakon married Margaret of Denmark. Haakon and his only child both died young, and Margaret created the union of all three countries, which then shared a monarchy for 126 years.

Back
Top Bottom