British Royal Family Genealogy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I'm currently working on how many European families are descendant of Johan Willem Friso of Nassau-Dietz.
The front endpapers of "Burke's Royal Families of the World, Volume I: Europe and Latin America" show the lines of descent from Jan Willem Friso of the following Houses:

Austria
Bavaria
Belgium
Denmark
Great Britain
Greece
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Monaco
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden

Thank you Warren. But it is so much more fun figuring it out by myself. I think that I have got most of them though. :) And more.

Last edited:
There's also (allegedly) a line that links William to Catherine Carey, the daughter of Mary Boleyn (and alleged daughter of Henry VIII), but I've never found the actual lineage there.

There is a line:

King Henry VIII 1491-1547
I
Catherine Cary,Lady Knollys of Rotherfield 1524-1569
I
Countess Lettice of Essex 1543-1634
I
Countess Penelope of Warwick 1561-1607
I
Essex,Lady Cheke of Pirgo died in 1659
I
Countess Anna of Warwick 1620-1659
I
Robert Rich,3rd Earl of Warwick 1611-1659
I
Countess Essex of Nottingham and Winchilsea 1652-1684
I
Marchioness Mary of Halifax 1677-1718
I
Countess Dorothy of Cork and Burlington 1699-1758
I
Duchess Charlotte of Devonshire 1731-1754
I
Duchess Dorothy of Portland 1750-1794
I
Lord Charles Cavendish-Bentinck 1788-1826
I
Honorable Charles William Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck 1817-1865
I
Countess Nina Cecilia of Strathmore and Kinghorne 1862-1938
I
Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain,the Queen mother 1900-2002
I
Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain 1926-
I
Charles,the Prince of Wales 1948-
I
Prince William of Wales 1982

Thanks! I've never looked through it closely and been able to find it (Catherine has a lot of descendants).
Of course, Henry VIII's involvement in it is just a theory, as he never claimed Catherine as his child, and Mary Boleyn was married to another man.

Last edited by a moderator:
UK Royal Family and Monaco Royal Family.

Does anyone know is there a connection between the two. I am sure there is as there is with most of the other European houses going back to the time of queen Victoria.

Diana, Princess of Wales

Is there an online site that her family history can be checked out, more genealogy than anything else. I recently discovered that going back in time, her family came from an area not too far from where I live. I have also discovered looking into my own family tree, that she shared a family name with that of my late Grand Father (Roche) and that his family going back in time may have come from around the same area.

The closest blood relationship between all of Europes royal families if Johan Willem Friso of Orange Nassau. They all descend from him.

I believe Albert II descends from George II of GB through the Grand Dukes of Baden connection. There may also be some ancient Scottish bloodline connections since Albert II descends from the Dukes of Hamilton.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a connection between the British royals and Albert himself, but I do know that Caroline's third husband, Ernst August, is a male-line descendant of George III (through George's fifth son, Ernest Augustus I of Hanover), and through his paternal grandmother he's a descendant of Victoria (through Victoria's eldest daughter, Victoria, Princess Royal).

Princess caroline of monaco's husband is related to the British royal family both through king George III and king Christian IX through his daughter Thyra.

SLV, have you thought about expanding your tree? ...
There's also the approach of Philip, who descends from several of the post George III monarchs through a couple different lines, ....

Hi Ish,
I have been searching like crazy but I could not find any post George III connections with prince Philip.
I did find several with George II and George I, however. So, my guess is that you meant 'pre-George III' and not 'post'.

I even found a connection to Johan Willem Friso of Nassau-Dietz, which means that prince Philip a descendant of the same man as the Dutch Royal Family (together with many other Royal Families). :p
And to make things even more complicated:
The Dutch RF descends of Sophia of the Palatinate. Hmmmmm. I wonder if our King Willem Alexander asked Queen Elisabeth for permission to marry Máxima. Not that it matters, as she is catholic and therefore W-A is no longer in line of the British throne. ;)

I put all the prince Philip lines in a sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvDaHlZF2HfQdHhuUnBYbzJDQU5scTlBcmhvN2wzNWc#gid=3

Have fun!
Lisette

PS. Here is the Dutch-tree:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvDaHlZF2HfQdHhuUnBYbzJDQU5scTlBcmhvN2wzNWc#gid=1

Last edited:
^^^^
Well Philip is a descendent of Queen Victoria, who was the grandchild of George III.

...I could not find any post George III connections with prince Philip.
I think I meant Edward III, not George....
It's been a bit since I looked at Philip's ancestry. Perhaps that'll be my next project....

Your Philip line is awesome!
How's your Johann one coming along? That's the project I'm working on now (I think I'm almost done, but every time I think that I seem to find another 1,000 people).

Philip is a great-great grandson of Queen Victoria, through his mother.
Philip - his mother Alice - Alice's mother Victoria of Hesse - Victoria's mother Princess Alice of Great Britain - Alice's mother Queen Victoria

They multiply then they converge and divide and then you get stuck trying to keep track of all the Heinrich Reusses....
Seriously, I think someone in the 12th century went "let's screw with whoever tries to figure out our genealogy in 900 years."

Of course that is how the duke of Edinburgh is related to king George III

King George III > Edward,duke of kent > Queen Victoria > princess Alice,grand duchess of Hesse and by Rhine > princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine > princess Alice of greece and Denmark > prince Phillip,duke of Edinburgh
But through a maternal line

I found recently I am descended from the "foremother' of the House of Stewart, Eschyna de Molle. Eschyna married Walter Fitzallen, the first High Steward of Scotland in the 12th century,and had several children, including the second High Steward, Allan Fitzwalter. But before she married Walter, she married Sir Robert de Croc, one of the knights who accompanied Walter to Scotland and was given land there. With Robert de Croc, she had several children, including my ancestor Isabel de Croc de Pollok. Isabel married my ancestor Robert de Pollok, who also accompanied Walter Fitzallen from England to Scotland. I found this in a book "Normans in Scotland" by Graeme Ritchie, and also in the annals of the town of Crookston (Crocs'town), which is now a part of Glasgow. There is a very old stone castle in Crookston built by the Darnley Stuarts after they inherited Croc's land. Robert Croc's castle was built of wood in the 12th century, but the 12th c. moat is still there, as is the moat around the nearby castle foundation built by my ancestor Robert Pollok. So this may be off the main topic but it's a hoot for me! I hope you enjoyed my hoot. Here's to Eschyna, who had ten children with three husbands and lived to be either 99 years old or 79, depending on variant annals.

Of course that is how the duke of Edinburgh is related to king George III
The point was, the Poster I responded to, said he could find no connection after George III (no distinction made maternal/paternal), to any British monarch after George III. I pointed out the obvious one the poster was missing or choosing to ignore, Victoria. As George had numerous children who had descendents, it is quite possible to be of the line of George III, but not descended from any other monarch.

:previous:
SLV wasn't missing the obvious one, though. The conversation which started the whole line of Philip part originated with her showing us the tree she did showing how Philip and the Queen descend from Victoria and George III, and beyond that Edward III.

I had made a comment saying that there were a few lines through which Philip is descended from George III (which is a mistake, there's just the one line through Victoria; I think I meant Edward III and not George). The comment to which you responded was SLV telling me how she couldn't find any other George III - Philip connections.

Royal baby strange facts

I like this fact: The Islamic Sultan bit is through the Spencers I believe.

They are distantly related, extremely distantly, but not descended.

The Moorish Princess in question is Zaida, mistress and sometimes considered wife, of Alfonse VI of Castile.

Diana and the Spencers are descended from one of the bastards of Charles II. Charles maternal grandmother (mother of Queen Henrietta Marie) was Marie de Medicci. Marie was a direct descendent of Alphonse, through her mother Joanna who was a granddaughter of Joanna the Mad of Castile. But they are descendents of Alphonso through his daughter Urraca, who was mothered not by Zaida, but his second wife Constance of Burgundy.

The Windsors are not, as Henrietta Marie's line died out in England, with Anne. It was her sister in law Elizabeth, who the Hannoverians are descended from.

Queen Mary (Princess Mary of Teck) is a descendant of Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia

The current non-reigning King Michael of Romania is a descendant of Queen Victoria. His grandmother was the granddaughter of the Queen, daughter of Victoria's second son Albert of Saxa-Coburg-Gotha. All roads lead to London, someway. :)))

Last edited:
So, since the newest descendant of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert has been born today, I thought I might post my chart tracing the descendants of the pair of them.

http://sdrv.ms/133pRVZ

Queen Mary (Princess Mary of Teck) is a descendant of Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia

Here is the line from Vlad II Dracul,who was the father of Vlad Dracula,or Vlad the Impaler:

Vlad II Dracul,"Vlad the Dragon",Duke of Wallachia,ruled from 1430-1446
I
Vlad IV ''the Monk",Duke of Wallachia,lived from 1435-1495
I
Radu IV "the Great",Duke of Wallachia,lived from 1467-1508
I
Mircea III "the Shepherd",Duke of Wallachia,died in 1559
I
Princess Stanca Basarab of Wallachia
I
Semphira Logofat de Szaszebes,died in 1602
I
Adam Racz de Galgo
I
Peter Racz de Galgo
I
Christina Racz de Galgo
I
Katalin Kuun de Osdola
I
Agnes Kendeffy de Malomviz,born in 1727
I
Baron Gregor Inczédy de Nagy-Varad,died in 1816
I
Baroness Agnes Inczedy de Nagy Varad,lived from 1788-1856
I
Countess Claudine Rhedey de Kis-Rhede,lived from 1812-1841
I
Duke Franz von Teck,lived from 1837-1900
I
Princess Victoria Mary of Teck,lived from 1867-1953
I
King George VI of Great Britain,lived from 1895-1952
I
Elizabeth II,Queen of Great Britain,born in 1926
I
Charles,Prince of Wales,born in 1948
I
Prince William,the Duke of Cambridge,born in 1982
I
Prince "Name" of Cambridge,born in 2013

Last edited:
In honor of the new King of the Belgians, here's the closest to the British throne of his multiple descents from George II. A bit surprised there's no Victoria or George III link.

1. George II of Great Britain (1683-1760)
2. Frederick, Prince of Wales (1707-1751)
3. Princess Augusta of Great Britain, Duchess of Brunswick (1737-1813)
4. Augusta, Princess of Wurttemberg (1764-1788)
5. Paul, Prince of Wurttemberg (1785-1852)
6. Pauline, Dutchess of Nassau (1810-1856)
7. Sophia, Queen of Sweden (1836-1913)
8. Prince Carl, Duke of Vastergotland (1861-1951)
9. Astrid, Queen of Belgium (1905-1935)
10. Albert II of Belgium (b. 1934)
11. Philippe of Belgium (b. 1960)

He's also in the Jacobite line, as a descendent of King Louis XV of France, who in turn was a great-grandson of Charles I of England's daughter, Henrietta, who married the Duke of Orleans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom