The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Hey someone tell me..does Queen EII have the bloodline of William The Conqueror? Or from where was it interrupted? Who was the earliest English monarch she could be traced directly to? I know the line wasnt straight..(nephews, cousins, distant relatives etc..)..But still..could her ancestry be traced to William I? Or just to Henry VII?
Yes you can trace it back to William the Conqueror. I started with the Tudors as it get kind of Complicated between William the Conqueror and the start of the Tudors. He is Elizabeth 22 Great Grandfather.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
I made a British Royal Family Tree Tracing Queen Elizabeth Ancestry Line back to the Tudors. Please Tell me what you think and if Made any mistakes, error, etc.

14th Great Grandparent King Henry VII 1457-1509 Elizabeth of York 1466-1503

13th Great Grandparents Margaret Tudor 1489-1541 James IV of Scotland 1473-1513- Margret Tudor Daughter of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York

12th Great Grandparent Margaret Douglas 1515-1578 Matthew Stewart, 4th Earl 1516- 1571- Margaret Douglas Daughter of Margaret Tudor and James VI

11th Great Grandparents Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley 1545-1567 Mary, Queen of Scots 1489-1541- Henry Stuart Son of Margaret Douglas and James VI
This isn't entirely right. You've got most of the right people, but the wrong connections.

Margaret Tudor and James IV of Scotland had a son, James V. James V married Mary of Guise and had a daughter, Mary of Scots.

Margaret Tudor then married Archibald Douglas and had a daughter, Margaret Douglas. Margaret Douglas married Matthew Stewart and had a son, Henry Stuart.

Henry Stuart and Mary of Scots married and had a son. James VI, who became James I of England, and from whom Elizabeth II descends.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Hey someone tell me..does Queen EII have the bloodline of William The Conqueror? Or from where was it interrupted? Who was the earliest English monarch she could be traced directly to? I know the line wasnt straight..(nephews, cousins, distant relatives etc..)..But still..could her ancestry be traced to William I? Or just to Henry VII?
The Queen is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror through multiply lines: she is his 22nd great-granddaughter.

Elizabeth II is also a direct descendant of many Anglo-Saxon Kings, Kings of Scotland native Princes of Wales, and (High) Kings of Ireland, including Egbert of Wessex (generally accepted to have been the first King of England), Alfred the Great, Harold Godwinson, Rhys ap Gruffydd, Llywelyn the Great, Brian Boru, and many others.

One of the lines of descent from William the Conqueror:
- William the Conqueror
- Henry I
- Empress Matilda
- Henry II
- King John
- Henry III
- Edward I
- Edward II
- Edward III
- Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence
- Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster
- Roger, 4th Earl of March
- Anne de Mortimer
- Richard, 3rd Duke of York
- Edward IV
- Elizabeth of York
- Margaret Tudor
- James V of Scotland
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- James VI and I of Scotland and England
- Elizabeth of Bohemia
- Sophia, Electress of Hanover
- George I of Great Britian
- George II
- Frederick, Prince of Wales
- George III
- Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
- Queen Victoria
- Edward VII
- George V
- George VI
- Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

She's also descended from the pre-conquest Wessex kings.

- Alfred the Great
- Edward the Elder
- Edmund I
- Edgar the Peaceful
- Æthelred the Unready
- Edmund Ironside
- Edward the Exile
- Saint Margaret of Scotland
- Matilda of Scotland
- Empress Matilda
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Indeed, the Queen can trace her ancestry all the way back to Cedric, King of Wessex - the original Anglo-Saxon conqueror who founded and became the first King of Wessex from 519 to 534. All subsequent English Monarchs were descended from him.

- Cedric, King of Wessex
- Creoda
- Cynric of Wessex
- Ceawlin of Wessex
- Cuthwine of Wessex
- Cutha Cathwulf
- Ceolwald of Wessex
- Coenred of Wessex
- Ingild of Wessex
- Eoppa of Wessex (nephew of King Ine of Wessex)
- Eafa of Wessex
- Ealhmund, King of Kent
- Egbert, King of England
- Aethelwulf
- Alfred the Great
- Edward the Elder
- Edmund I
- King Edgar
- Ethelred II the Unready
- Edmund II Ironside
- Edward the Exile
- Margaret of Scotland
- Edith of Scotland
- Empress Matilda
- Henry II of England- King John
- Henry III
- Edward I
- Edward II
- Edward III
- Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence
- Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster
- Roger, 4th Earl of March
- Anne de Mortimer
- Richard, 3rd Duke of York
- Edward IV
- Elizabeth of York
- Margaret Tudor
- James V of Scotland
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- James VI and I of Scotland and England
- Elizabeth of Bohemia
- Sophia, Electress of Hanover
- George I of Great Britian
- George II
- Frederick, Prince of Wales
- George III
- Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn
- Queen Victoria
- Edward VII
- George V
- George VI
- Queen Elizabeth II

A bit off-topic but I just have to mention she is also descended from Armenian Kings (both those of the Kingdom of Armenia and the Cilician Kingdom of Armenia).
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a "family tree" that says she can trace her ancestry back to Woden!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have a "family tree" that says she can trace her ancestry back to Woden!
Kind of. According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (composed during the reign of Alfred theGreat), Woden was the father of Wecta, Beldeg, wihtgils and Wihtlaeg. Those four were the ancestors of the Kings of Wessex, Northumbria, Mercia and East Anglia - and Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of each one of them (and Woden, by default).

There is also the Ecclesiastical History of te English People (completed in early 8th century), which states that the first two commanders of the Anglo-Saxon settlers of Britain were Hengist and Horsa. They were "the sons o Civtgilsus, whose father was Vecta, son of Woden; from whose stock the royal race of many provinces deduce their original".

Quite an illustrious ancestry Elizabeth II has! She is also supposed to be a direct descendant of Prophet Mohammed (although I haven't been able to find a reliable genealogical chart of that), Roman Emperors (that I can easily provide, if necessary; however, it must be remembered that quite a few of the Roman Emperors were adopted and not biological children of their predecessors although they all came from just a handful of most notable Roman families), Genghis Khan (again, a chart can be provided although there are some debatable points), and so on.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Okay I have made some corrections thanks to Ish.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Courtier

interesting fact:
The queen's Great(x6)-grandfather Patrick Lyon, 3rd Earl of Strathmore married Helen Middleton, daughter of John Middleton, 1st Earl of Middleton.
So, Catherine is not the first Middleton in the family
Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Was Helen Middleton part of the royal family or part of the Lyon family?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Courtier

in this case "family" is equal to "ancestors"
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Kate Middleton: New study reveals Duchess's links to earls, countesses and a former Prime Minister | Mail Online

The Duchess of Cambridge was the first commoner to marry the heir to the throne in 350 years and is descended from coal miners, a road sweeper and even a prisoner. But new research into her family has revealed that the middle class princess has noble blood after all. A previously unknown branch of the Middleton's family tree shows Kate can count earls, countesses and even a Prime Minister among her ancestors.

Pupils in Melbourne, Australia, stumbled across the link during a genealogy project set by their teacher. The children were asked to research either the family tree of the Duchess, David Beckham or rapper 50 Cent using an online programme.

It was soon discovered that the Duchess was related to William Petty FitzMaurice, the 1st Marquess of Lansdowne, whose ancestral seat Bowood House in Wiltshire is considered one of Britain's best stately homes. He served as Prime Minister between July 1782 and April 1783 during the reign of George III and is remembered for negotiating the peace settlement that ended the American War of Independence. Kate is the second cousin three times removed of Barbara Lupton, who became Lady Bullock when she married Sir Christopher Bullock. Sir Christopher, a descendent of William Petty FitzMaurice, worked as principal private secretary to Winston Churchill and later became permanent under-secretary at the British Air Ministry.

The Duchess's family line was traced back five generations to the Marquess of Lansdowne and his brother Thomas FitzMaurice who lived at the Buckinghamshire stately home Cliveden with his wife Mary, 4th Countess of Orkney in the late 18th century. The teacher contacted Edward, the surviving son of Sir Christopher and Lady Bullock who confirmed the connection. He also sent his findings to the Duchess, who thanked him for the research.

William Bortrick, the chairman of Burke's Peerage, said it will make an 'interesting inclusion' in the next edition of the guide, which will be published after the Duchess gives birth.

Just how does her second cousin 3 times removed marrying someone who descended from the FitzMaurices make any of these people her ancestors? Someone has a fairly liberal, and very inaccurate, understanding of the term ancestor I would say.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't see the reason why anyone will try to put Charles's ancestry down. Both Charles & Diana came from blue blooded families.
Interestingly, Diana, Princess of Wales, is descended from 2 of Charles II's illegitimate sons - Henry Fitzroy, 1st Duke of Grafton, and Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond.
So, for what it's worth, Prince William will become the first descendent of Charles II to occupy the British throne, if he succeeds as expected!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Courtier

I was bored this evening so I decided to find out what was the family connection between the Queen and prince Philip.
- Then I found this interesting double family connection of Mary of Teck
- Then I got curious why the Hanoverians got the Throne
- And what was the link between Mary and Anne Stuart and the Hanoverians and the Dutch Orange stadhouders?
- We end up in Scotland.... hmmm how were Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I related?
- Ah, the Tudors. Never understood how Henry VII was involved in it all, let's find out
- I ended up dissecting the War of the Roses.

The result, of more than 4 hours of reading Wiki-pages (), I put into an Excell-sheet.
So for those who , like me, were wondering.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...vN2wzNWc#gid=0

Do you like it? Did I miss anything/make mistakes?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Nobility

Andrew for Sarah.

Somewhat confused. Why the different colors? What do the X's represent. I understand blue connects to William.

Are the numbers for the spouses? I understand for the Queen's children the numbers represent the 1st & 2nd spouse is this the case through out then why is Harry #2?
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness

The 1 and 2 refer firstly to spouses (thus Diana is (1) and Camilla is (2)) and secondly to birth order (in the case of William (1) and Harry (2)). The Xs denote marriages.

A couple early mistakes (I haven't looked through it all yet) - the Queen's third child is Andrew, not Edmund, and Edward's wife spells her name Sophie, not Sophy.

A few other things that I noticed on a closer look; you've got all the British monarchs as being blue (with the inclusion of Charles, William, and Baby Cambridge as being future monarchs), except for William III who is orange. While he was Prince of Orange he was also King of England - you might want to make him blue as well (comparable to how you did James IV and I).

While not a mistake in itself, Henry VII's wife, Elizabeth of York, was the daughter of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville, which you might want to include (similar to how you showed that Catherine of Valois married both Owen Tudor and Henry V).

Edward's daughter's name is Louise, not Louisa, and she's older than her brother - it looks like you've got the Queen's children done in order of birth, with the youngest at the top and the eldest at the bottom, but you've done the opposite (for the most part) for their children, with the eldest at the top and the youngest at the bottom, except for the case of Edward's. If you were trying to go for the succession order, then Anne and her descendants should be after Edward.

Finally, just because of the effort you've made in fleshing out the Queen's descendants, you might also want to include the marriages and children of Anne's children; Peter married Autumn Kelly and has two daughters, Savannah and Isla, while Zara has married Mike Tindall.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Royal Highness

This thread made me interested in the ancestry of the queen from her mother's side.

There are so many Plantagenet ancestors! Including Edward III - so she is descended from Eleanor of Aquitaine in more than one line. And several lines from John of Gaunt, including one via the Steward/Stuart kings of Scotland pre Mary queen of Scots...

And Woodvilles. Three Woodville-sisters, daughters of Jaquetta of Luxemburg, including queen Elizabeth (née Woodville) herself from her first marriage...

And there is Bess of Hardwick, the queen is descended from her marriage to Sir William Cavendish, though she is better known as Countess of Shrewsbury. The queen BTW is descended as well from Bess' Earl of Shrewsbury through another line.

Very interesting ancestry. Especially if you see how often her male ancestors married daughters of newly created earls and dukes- thus daughters of men who made their own fortune through service for their king.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Courtier

Thank you Ish, for your comments.
I have changed/added them.
As for the order of the persons. I have positioned them in order to get the clearest tree. Eg. George IV and his brothers are not in any chronological or other order, but putting Adolphus at the bottom would make it very difficult to add the link of Mary of Teck/Queen Mary.
I am glad that I didn't make any big mistakes, it was one in the morning when I finished and posted it. Especially the War of the Roses part was difficult to follow.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Nobility

It would be lovely if someone, or team of people, could put this information in a regular genealogy program. The PAF program can be down loaded from the LDS site for nothing. It works really well and does a wonderful job of making the connections. Just an idea.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Nobility

Having done an extensive genealogy myself, great job. There is always tweaking. Share it and say it is work in progress. Ask for criticism, is insane. You will be told everything that wrong it based on others opinions.

Tags
ancestry, british royal family, china, countess of errol, crusades, descent, duke of edinburgh, edward iii, elizabeth ii, genealogy, marie bonaparte, napoleon, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth (the queen mother), queen elizabeth the queen mother, royal monarch line of succession heirs, tang dynasty