The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
There's a family tree in the front of Hugo Vicker's book Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece. It shows how he's related through the House of Hesse, and the British Royal Family, and of course Denmark, through his father.
Thank you! I'm also interested in how he is related to the Russian, Swedish, and Spanish royal houses as well. If I can get enough information, I might try to make my own... and then of course share it!

Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Administrator

As a descendant of Queen Victoria Prince Philip is related to the Spanish and Swedish Houses through the Queen's granddaughters Ena of Battenberg (who married King Alfonso XIII) and Margaret of Connaught (who married King Gustav VI Adolf). There are other connections but these are the direct lines. The Russian connection comes via Prince Philip's paternal grandmother Queen Olga of Greece, the daughter of Grand Duke Constantine of Russia and granddaughter of Tsar Nikolai I.

Prince Philip's mother Alice was the sister of Louise of Battenberg (later Mountbatten) who became King Gustav VI Adolf's second wife. Philip's Hesse-Darmstadt grandmother Victoria was also a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the sister of both the ill-fated Grand Duchess Serge and Tsarina Alexandra (Alix) of Russia.

There are probably family trees or lines of descent showing these relationships more clearly in the links in previous posts of this thread.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Warren for answering my question. I guess this also got me thinking about the Battenberg/ Mountbatten blood line too. The first princess of Battenberg (or at least in more modern times??) was HSH Princess Julia of Battenberg. I think it is interesting how a wife of a morganic marriage could be the ancestress to the future kind of England and the current King of Spain.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

The first (modern) Princess of Battenberg may have been Alexander of Hesse's daughter Marie who was born in 1852. Alexander's morganatic wife Julie von Hauke was Countess of Battenberg until 1858 when she was raised to the rank of Princess, with the qualification of Serene Highness.

The other morganatic marriage of note with an impact on the British Royal House was that of Prince Alexander of Württemberg who in 1835 married Countess Claudine Rhédy de Kis-Rhéde. She was created Countess von Hohenstein and the children became Princes and Princess of Teck, Serene Highnesses, in 1863. The eldest son Francis, created Duke of Teck in 1871, was the father of Princess May, who of course went on to become Queen Mary of Great Britain and Ireland, Empress of India.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

An old scandal for the Bowes-Lyons

I was messing around in wikipedia and stumbled over HM Elizabeth II's genealogical chart. I noticed that the Countess of Strathmore's grandmother was a young lady named Anne Wellesley.

It turns out that Anne was the niece of the first Duke of Wellington. Her father was Richard Wellesley, 1st Marquess Wellesley. Anne was born out of wedlock to Richard and his mistress Hyacinthe-Gabrielle Roland. Hyacinthe was an actress at the Palais Royal. Eventually this couple married 6 years after Anne's birth, in 1794.

Anne married but then had an affair with her husband's friend, Lord William Charles Augustus Cavendish-Bentinck. His maternal grandparents were the 3rd Duke of Portland and Lady Dorothy Cavendish, sister to the Duke of Devonshire who was married to Georgianna Spencer.

Anne and William eloped in 1815, she got a divorce in 1816 and married William that year. They went on to have four children.

How's that for a bundle of Regency scandals? I never would have guessed that Cecilia's rather grim facade hid this amount of passion.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dig a little...the inside of the souffle is always the best! ;-P
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Aristocracy

If anyone is interested in The Tudor Reign and the genealogy connected to the royalty of that time, I have found this site very useful!

Tudor Place
Old 06-12-2010, 06:14 PM

Tsar descendant?

I'm new here, so may not be in the right forum. What I'm wanting to know is whether Edward I, king of England, is a descendant of any Russian tsar. If so, where can I find a generation by generation listing of the connection?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

I presume you mean Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor. I do not believe he had any Romanov ancestry, although Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and his children do.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplay42 View Post
I'm new here, so may not be in the right forum. What I'm wanting to know is whether Edward I, king of England, is a descendant of any Russian tsar. If so, where can I find a generation by generation listing of the connection?

The first formally crowned Tsar of Russia was Ivan IV in 1547 altough there were rulers in Russia before that but they didn't use the title Tsar.

The title Tsar was used in Bulgaria from the 900s on and off until the middle of the 20th century.

Edward 1 ruled England from 1239 - 1307.

So if you mean was Edward I a desendent of a Russian tsar the simple answer is 'no' as there were no Russian tsars before him. However, did he have any Russian ancestry - I have no idea.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Gentry

Like the previous posters, I do not believe he is a descendant of any Russian Tsar.

As for the Duke of Windsor, he is a descendant of Yuri Dolgorukiy, Grand Prince of Kiev and founder of Moscow, and Yaroslav II, Grand Prince of Vladimir, for example. But as Iluvbertie said there were no tsars of Russia at that time.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Thane View Post
I presume you mean Edward VIII, later Duke of Windsor. I do not believe he had any Romanov ancestry, although Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and his children do.
Where do they get their Romanov ancestry? I know they are related to the Romanovs through Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece, who was the niece of Empress Alexandra but I do not think they are descended from a Romanov. The Queen is also related to the Romanovs through her great grandmother Queen Alexandra, whose sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna

Correction: Oops, forgot about Queen Olga of Greece, who I believe was a descendant of the Romanov Tsars and thus, Prince Phillip, Olga's grandson, does have Romanov blood
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Queen is also related to the Romanovs through her great grandmother Queen Alexandra, whose sister was Empress Marie Feodorovna
The Queen is not related to the Romanovs' as Queen Alexandra, herself, was not a Romanov. And Maria Fyodorovna was only a Romanov by marriage.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Alexandra (of Kent) are great-great-grandchildren of Tsar Alexander II.
Their maternal grandmother was Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia.
They're the only Windsors I can recall who have a blood relation with a Tsar.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duke of Edinburgh is the great great grandchild of Tsar Nikolai I.

Tsar Nikolai I > Grand Duke Konstantin > Queen Olga > Prince Andrew > Prince Philip

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Tsar Nikolai I > Grand Duke Konstantin > Queen Olga > Prince Andrew > Prince Philip
Prince Philip >>>

> Prince Charles > Prince William & Prince Harry

> Princess Anne, Princess Royal > Peter & Zara Phillips

> Prince Andrew > Princess Beatrice & Princess Eugenie

> Prince Edward > The Lady Louise & Viscount Severn

Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

I was sure that I forgot something as I only focused on Royals who were born as Windsors. Thank you for that, Madame Royale & HM Queen Catherine!
Are there any other relations between the Windsors and Romanovs?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The Queen is not related to the Romanovs' as Queen Alexandra, herself, was not a Romanov. And Maria Fyodorovna was only a Romanov by marriage.
I guess I should have said the Queen was related to the Romanovs who perished. The Queen shares Queen Alexandra's blood and the Tsar Nicholas II and his children had the same blood from their mother and grandmother, Queen Alexandra's sister. I know neither woman was born a Romanov but this is how people become related to one another, through marriages and shared blood lines. If the Tsar and his children had lived, their descendants would be related to the Queen.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

So how is Prince Henry for example related to Tsareavich Alexei
Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
So how is Prince Henry for example related to Tsareavich Alexei

Many ways.

1) Through his father Charles and his grandfather Philip Harry, who I assume you mean by Prince Henry as he never uses that name (the last British royal to use Prince Henry was the late Duke of Gloucester) he is a distant cousin through their shared descent from Nicholas I of Russia.

2) Alexei was a great-grandchild of Queen Victoria through his mother Tsarina Alexandra and Harry is a great great-great-great-great grandson of Queen Victoria - Alice, Victoria, Alice, Philip, Charles, Harry

3) Another line of descent from Queen Victoria is Edward VII, George V, George VI, Elizabeth II, Charles to Harry whereas Alexei is simply Alice, Alexandra, Alexei

4) Then there are the lines from Christian IX of Denmark - George I of the Hellenes, Andrew, Philip, Charles, Harry compared to Alexei going Marie Feodorovna - Nicholas II - Alexei

5) The other line here is Christian IX - Alexandra - George V, George VI, Elizabeth II - Charles - Harry.

I refuse to work out cousinly relationships as that varies from country to country as to how that is counted.

Tags
ancestry, british royal family, china, countess of errol, crusades, descent, duke of edinburgh, edward iii, elizabeth ii, genealogy, marie bonaparte, napoleon, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth (the queen mother), queen elizabeth the queen mother, royal monarch line of succession heirs, tang dynasty