The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The thing is its not as easy as saying Alexandra was German period. The House of Schleswig-Holstein had for centuries ruled over Schleswig, a part of the Danish dominion since the early Middle-ages and with a Danish speaking majority up until the early 19th century. Both her parents were raised in Copenhagen & the generations before them had married as much among themselves, into the BRF as with German families. Most of them were German by descent yes but nationality is as much about self-perception as about fact.
Oldenburg dynasty was/is German dynasty which ruled and still rules in many countries.

In genealogy terms it doesn't matter where they rule as genealogically they are still German dynasty that married almost only Germans for centuries, either from Germany or from German dynasties that ruled in other countries.

In genealogy terms, will I be Chinese if I am born and raised there and don't have a drop of Chinese blood? Maybe I would have citizenship which will for sure determine me as a person and shape my feelings, but in genealogy terms I stay who I am and who my ancestors were, because genealogy is not subjective thing, but exact as we are already born with it and can't change it, just like we can always easily change cities, countries or our passports based on our circumstances.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If one really had to nitpick about ancestry, all of these people above whether from most areas of Western Europe, descend from the Gallic people of antiquity.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Gentry

Speaking of BRF genealogy, have any genealogists been able to prove that Queen Charlotte had African ancestry?
And has it been proven that Mary Boleyn is Henry Carey's mother? Wikipedia believes it's supposed.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
Speaking of BRF genealogy, have any genealogists been able to prove that Queen Charlotte had African ancestry?
And has it been proven that Mary Boleyn is Henry Carey's mother? Wikipedia believes it's supposed.
Regarding Charlotte: the idea that Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz had African ancestry is based on the research of one person (Mario Valdes) who makes several errors in his research, and ignores the fact that Charlotte's alleged African ancestor lived 500 years before her, is something like 15 generations removed, and was actually of unknown ethnicity; she may have been North African, she may not have been. Suggestions that the ancestor was North African didn't come up until 400 year after she'd died, and suggestions that Charlotte was somehow African as a result of it are hugely unsubstantiated.

Regarding Henry Carey: I've never seen any suggestion that anyone other than Mary Boleyn was his mother. There is a rumour that Henry VIII may have fathered one or both of Mary's elder children (Catherine and Henry Carey), but that can't really be proven. While we know when Mary's children were born, we don't know for sure when Mary was Henry VIII's mistress, and even if we did we don't know exactly when she was having sex with Henry VIII and when she was having sex with her husband, and we're not likely to ever know that. So, really the only way to ever prove that anyone other than William Carey (the acknowledged father of both Catherine and Henry Carey) fathered the children would be to do DNA testing. Which would require exhuming 400 year old corpses.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Majesty

I do remember seeing a picture of Catherine Carey and thinking she looked an awful lot like Henry VIII ....

LaRae
Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I do remember seeing a picture of Catherine Carey and thinking she looked an awful lot like Henry VIII ....

LaRae
Catherine was certainly said to resemble Henry as she got older. And was given some deference at court. Unlike her brother, her conception and birth do match up with dates Mary was involved with Henry.

https://tudorblogger.files.wordpress...der-meulen.jpg
Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

True, but by that count Prince Harry is believed by some to look like James Hewitt. Doesn’t make Hewitt his biological father.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Gentry

I have questions about the BRF's descent from three distinct lanes: the Prophet Muhammad, the Tang Emperors of China, and Genghis Khan. When it comes to their descent from M, I know there have to be many lines of descent left up for debate.
Has any of this been proven?
I don't remember where I heard this, but someone said they're related to his grandson, Kublai Khan.
Is this true?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
I have questions about the BRF's descent from three distinct lanes: the Prophet Muhammad, the Tang Emperors of China, and Genghis Khan. When it comes to their descent from M, I know there have to be many lines of descent left up for debate.
Has any of this been proven?
I don't remember where I heard this, but someone said they're related to his grandson, Kublai Khan.
Is this true?
This is the line from Chinese Emperors:

Emperor Su Tsung (Tang)
Ning-Kuo (daughter) m. Moyenhur (Uighur)
Bayanue (daughter) m. Surkhab II (Tabaristan)
Sharwin I
Karim
Shahriyar I
Qarin
Abul Melik
Surkhab
Abul-Hamza
Michke m. Katchik-Gagik (Vaspurakin)
Abu Sahl Hamazasp III
Derenik
Katchik I
Hasan
Abul Gharib
daughter m. Auschin I (Lampron)
Hetum II
Alix m. Balian d'Ibelin

Guy d'Ibelin

Alix d'Ibelin m. Hugh de Lusignan
Jacques I 

James I de Lusignan m. Charlotte Bourbon

Anne de Lusignan m. Louis (Savoy)

Margaret m. Peter (Luxemburg) 1390-1433

Louis

Peter

Marie m. Francis Bourbon

Antoinette m. Claude, Duke of Guise

Mary m. James V of Scotland

James VI

Elizabeth m. Frederick V of Bavaria

Sophia m. Ernst Augustus, Elector of Hanover

George I

George II

Frederick

George III

Edward

Victoria

Edward VII

George V

George VI

Elizabeth II
Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Gentry

It should be noted that this line of descent is unproven. See the discussion at soc.genealogy.medieval:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc....c/ZE9fujQiJjIJ

It has been claimed that Queen Mary (wife of George V) was a descendant of Genghis Khan through her Hungarian grandmother but that claim hasn't been proven either. Again, see the discussion at soc.genealogy.medieval:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc....A/3A30V2BpEncJ

Ditto for a descent from the prophet Muhammed. Lots of speculation and proposed lines but no proof.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

as the original poster of the china link, I since discovered that a correction needs to be made. namely that Abul Melik was Qarim's name after he converted to islam

Tags
ancestry, british royal family, china, countess of errol, crusades, descent, duke of edinburgh, edward iii, elizabeth ii, genealogy, marie bonaparte, napoleon, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth (the queen mother), queen elizabeth the queen mother, royal monarch line of succession heirs, tang dynasty