The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 PM
This is what I have found. Let me know if I have missed any lines.
Royal descendants of Johan-Willem-Friso of Orange-Nassau:

I like the different ways we approach the search, Ish. Your way is very, very extensive and exact. I think that there isn't a person left out in your lists.
My way is much more focussed on the main-line. I only branch-out when there is a cross-connection. Which leaves out many people.

I extended the Prince-Philip-line:
Apart from Queen Victoria, and Kings George I and II, he is also descendant from Johan-Willem-Friso and of William the Silent.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Hmm... okay, so the two lines won't work together because they're headed towards a different common ancestor. If you extended the common ancestor to be Edward IV or Edward III, you could add Catherine into it, but it would be a good amount of extra work for not a lot of extra information.

For Johan Willem Friso, I don't think you've missed anyone for what you've got on him so far.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
I've updated my previous chart tracing the descendants of Queen Victoria, as well as expanded it.

The first link is for charts regarding British lines - Victoria, George III, and George II (I'm currently working on George I, and will update again once it's done). The second link has charts for Christian IX of Denmark and Johan Willem Friso.

For the Victoria, Christian, and J.W.F. lines I've used both the Peerage and Wikipedia (and for the J.W.F. line I did a lot of googling to try to complete the Mexican lines), but for the Georges I've only used the Peerage. All the lines are somewhat lacking in regards to any births/deaths/marriages/divorces that have happened in the last couple years, especially regarding houses that aren't as well known. I've highlighted the monarchs and heir apparents of all currently existing realms (as well as the previous heirs who died before becoming monarch), the realms that previously existed and branched off of the specific individuals that I've looked at (the Hanovers, Saxe-Coburg and Gothas, and the Greeks), the House of Orange (since that was J.W.F.'s realm), and the Jacobite line of succession (because of future planned projects). I've bolded all of the currently reigning monarchs, and the current pretenders based on the list of pretenders found on Wikipedia (with the exception of Mexico and Brazil, these are all European houses).

I'll update it again when I finish George I's line.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Alright, so I've finished George I and his mother, Sophie of the Palatinate.

In order to keep the size down so that the file doesn't need to be downloaded, I've deleted the list of monarchs/pretenders that I'm referring to on this file, but it's still available on files for the later Georges/Victoria and Christian/J.W.F. that I linked in my last post, and updated so as to show what George I/Sophie add to the mix (Sophie doesn't have any living descendants who are not also descended from her son).

I'm not certain what my next project will be... I'm thinking of highlighting the people passed over by the Act of Succession.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Mary Lynch ‏@princesspleats 4 mins4 minutes ago

HRH Prince George of Cambridge can trace his direct patriline back to Elimar I Count of Oldenburg. He reigned from 1101 to 1108
Old 12-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Princes William and Harry are related to James Bond

Princes William and Harry are almost certainly related, through the Milne family of Aberdeenshire, to the man who was, in large part, the model for the fictional British spy, James Bond.

According to my research, Princes William and Harry share a common descent from the Milne family with a friend of the author of the James Bond novels, Ian Fleming, called Robin Ian Evelyn Milne Stuart de la Lanne-Mirrlees (born Grinnell-Milne) of Inchdrewer, Baron of Inchdrewer, who died in 2012 on his private Hebridean island of Great Bernera. Robin de la Lanne-Mirrlees was a Captain in the Royal Artillery during the Second World War and was later appointed by the Queen as Rouge Dragon Pursuivant and then Richmond Herald at the College of Arms in London. Robin de la Lanne-Mirrlees helped Ian Fleming to develop the James Bond alias, genealogist Sir Hilary Bray, for the 1963 book 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service', which was based on his position as a herald. By Princess Margarethe of Wurttemberg he had an illegitimate son, Patrick Grinnell-Milne de la Lanne-Mirlees, who in 2006 became the mayor of Delmenhorst in Lower Saxony.

Robin de la Lanne-Mirrlees (Grinnell-Milne) was the son of a famous and much-decorated First World War fighter pilot and author of war-time escape diaries, Captain Duncan William Grinnell-Milne MC, DFC (1896–1973), who was descended from a Mylne/Milne family of Banff, north of Aberdeen. In 1713 a member of this family, James Milne, murdered George Ogilvy, 3rd Lord Banff, who had insulted his young wife, and burnt down his castle at Inchdrewer, but he was cleared of a charge of murder. The castle, which is haunted by a lady in the form of a white dog, was later acquired and partly restored by Robin de la Lanne-Mirrlees (Grinnell-Milne), and, in 2014, was bought by the Russian model and fashion designer, 'Princess' Olga Roh, along with the feudal title, Baroness of Inchdrewer.

Princes William and Harry are descended through their mother, Princess Diana, from Alexander Milne of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, which is only 16 miles from Banff.

The Milne family (also spelt Miln, Myln, Mylne) is not a Highland clan but a sept (followers) of the Gordon clan and appears to have accompanied Sir Adam de Gordon, Lord of Gordon, Berwickshire, to Aberdeenshire in the early 14th century when Sir Adam was granted the Lordship of Strathbogie (Huntly, Aberdeenshire) after the battle of Halidon Hill (1333). The Milnes are widespread in Aberdeenshire and, I am glad to say, have been a constant public nuisance in that part of Scotland since the Middle Ages. I believe that all Milnes from North-East Scotland share a common ancestor, who was undoubtedly a trouble-maker. According to the Lyon Clerk and Keeper of the Records at the Office of the Lord Lyon King of Arms in Edinburgh, the first Milnes mentioned in the records were Hugh and Johannes de Molendino (Latin for Milne) who were excommunicated from Fyvie in 1382 by the local bishop for refusing to pay their rent. And, of course, James Milne burnt down Inchdrewer Castle in 1713 when the owner insulted his wife. The roll-calls of the Gordon Highlanders and the Black Watch are stuffed with Milnes and I suspect that the army was the only place they could be kept under some sort of control. They certainly seem to have lived up to the Gordon clan motto 'Bydand', which means 'Steadfast', and translates into English as 'as stubborn as a mule'. A branch of the family were Master Masons to the Kings of Scots for seven generations and Robert Mylne (1663-1710), Master Mason to Charles II, built the Palace of Holyroodhouse based on plans which he prepared with Sir William Bruce, Surveyor of the King's Works. Admiral Sir Archibald Berkeley ('Arky-Barky') Milne, 2nd and last Bt. (1855-1938), son and grandson of Admirals, was Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet at the start of the First World War and is famous for saying 'They don't pay me to think, they pay me to be an Admiral'. Another member of the family, Alexander Mylne (1474-1548/9), Abbot of Cambuskenneth, was first Lord President of the Court of Session (1532-1543), an example of good behaviour which the family tries hard to conceal. The family tartan is a shocking mixture of red and white, which is probably designed to offend the eye from at least 6 miles away. Interestingly, Princes William and Harry have more Milne in their make-up than Stuart, the former Scottish royal house. I am convinced that Prince Harry has inherited his more rowdy tendencies from the Milne family, which is what we like to see; it would be a huge disappointment to see a Milne behaving himself.

Descent of Princess Diana from the Milne family of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire

Alexander Milne of Fyvie, Aberdeenshire
Alexander Ogston of Tarves (1766-1838) = Helen Milne (b 12 May 1776 m 14 Jun 1796 d 20 Jan 1842)
David Gill (1797-1868) = Sarah Ogston (1797-1872)
Alexander Ogston Gill of Fairfield, Aberdeen (1833-1908 = Barbara Smith Marr (b 1843)
Col. William Smith Gill (1865-1957) = Ruth Littlejohn (1879-1964)
Edmund Maurice Burke Roche (1885-1955), 4th Baron Fermoy = Ruth Sylvia Gill (1908-1993)
Edward John Spencer (1924-1992), 8th Earl Spencer = Frances Ruth Burke Roche (b 1936)
Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Descent of Robin Ian Evelyn Milne Stuart de la Lanne-Mirrlees (born Grinnell-Milne) from the Milne family of Aberdeenshire

David Mylne of Banffshire (later Aberdeenshire)
Robert Mylne (b. circa 1540) of Banffshire
Patrick Mylne (b. circa 1580), Burgess of Banff, of Montcoffer, Banffshire
James Mylne (b. 1642), Burgess of Banff = Agnes Hackett
John Milne of Boyndie Milne, Banffshire, Burgess of Banff = Elspeth Stuart of Oxhill
James Milne of Boyndie Milne, Banffshire = Violet Fraser
James Milne of Banff = Isobel Milne (daughter of Alexander Milne of Milne of Alvah, Banffshire)
John Milne (b. 1772) = Jean Milne (daughter of Alexander Milne, 2nd of Chapelton, Forfar)
George Milne (28 December 1815, d. 1897) = Helen Elizabeth Grinnell (daughter of Hon. George Grinnell, a member of the the US Congress)
George Grinnell-Milne (b. 26 May 1853, d. 4 April 1931) = Maria Caroline Mess (d. 1940)
Duncan William Grinnell-Milne (b. 6 August 1896, d. 1973) = (1) Frances Warrington La Lanne of Philadelphia
Robin Ian Evelyn Grinnell-Milne (later Milne Stuart de la Lanne-Mirrlees) of Inchdrewer, Baron of Inchdrewer (b. 13 Jan 1925, d. 23 Jun 2012)

'Dashing' Scottish aristocrat whose bed-hopping ways were inspiration for James Bond dies, aged 87 | Daily Mail Online
Count Robin de la Lanne-Mirrlees - Telegraph
Russian Princess Olga Roh 'can't wait to visit Scottish castle' | Daily Mail Online
The aristocrat who inspired Fleming's James Bond – and a £500,000 row over his islands - Telegraph
- Person Page 48301

The real James Bond - Robin Ian Evelyn Milne Stuart le Comte de la Lanne-Mirrlees with Princess Margarethe of Wurttemberg at the premiere of The Long Memory at the Leicester Square Theatre. 22 January 1953. They had an illegitimate son, Patrick Grinnell-Milne de la Lanne-Mirlees.

Impression of James Bond drawn by the author, Ian Fleming.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, Prince George of Cambridge, The Duke of Cambridge and The Prince of Wales are male-line descendants of Elimar I, Count of Oldenburg.(1040-1112)

Elimar I is also the patrilineal ancestor of Margrethe II of Denmark, Harald V of Norway, and Constantine II of Greece,
Old 09-06-2016, 04:41 AM
Serene Highness
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, Prince George of Cambridge, The Duke of Cambridge and The Prince of Wales are male-line descendants of Elimar I, Count of Oldenburg.(1040-1112)

Elimar I is also the patrilineal ancestor of Margrethe II of Denmark, Harald V of Norway, and Constantine II of Greece,
Of course.

Agnatically they are members of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg dynasty which in turn is one of the lines of the House of Oldenburg.

Just like Queen Elizabeth II is agnatically a member of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha dynasty, which in turn is one of the lines of the House of Saxony (Wettin).

That also goes for all other members of the royal family who are not descendants of Prince Philip, such as Duke of Gloucester, Due of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent and their male line descendants.

ancestry, british royal family, china, countess of errol, crusades, descent, duke of edinburgh, edward iii, elizabeth ii, genealogy, marie bonaparte, napoleon, prince philip, prince william, queen elizabeth (the queen mother), queen elizabeth the queen mother, royal monarch line of succession heirs, tang dynasty