British Royal Family Genealogy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8) George Mikhailovich of Russia

Her Majesty The Queen is a third cousin once removed of His Imperial Highness Grand Duke Gerge Mikhailovich of Russia, who is the son of Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirova, who is the Head of the Imperial House and Empress de jure of Russia.

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (1819-1901) - King Edward VII of the United Kingdom (1841-1910) - KIng George V of the United Kingdom (1865-1936) - King George VI of the United Kingdom (1895-1952) - Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (b. 1926).

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom (1819-1901) - Prince Alfred, Duque of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1844-1900) - Princess Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (1876-1936) - Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich of Russia (1917-1992) - Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia (b. 1953).

Boy, you put it A LOT better than I did!!! Cheers:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also know (according to a new biography of Prince Philip) that said the Duke of Edinburgh's aunt Marie Bonaparte was a direct descendant of Napoleon's younger brother Louis. Would this make Philip a grandnephew of Napoleon?

No it wouldn't. Marie Bonaparte was only Philips aunt by marriage.

-
QEII and Empress Maria Theresa both descend from a daughter of Duke Louis Rudolph of Brunswick Wolfenbüttel and Christine Louise of Oettingen-Oettingen.

Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick Wolfenbüttel -> Marie Theresa, Empress of Austria, Queen of Hungary.

Antoinette of Brunswick-Wolfensbüttel -> Sophie Antoinette of Brunswick W. -> Ernst Friedrich of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld -> Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld -> Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha -> Albert of SCG -> Edward VII -> George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II

or

Antoinette of Brunswick-Wolfensbüttel -> Sophie Antoinette of Brunswick W. -> Ernst Friedrich of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld -> Franz of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld -> Viktoria of Saxe Coburg (Dss of Kent) -> Victoria I -> Edward VII -> George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II

or

Antoinette of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel -> Juliana of Brunswick Wolfenbüttel -> Frederick of Denmark -> Charlotte of Denmark -> Louise of Hesse-Kassel -> Alexandra of Denmark-> George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II

or

Antoinette of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel -> Juliana of Brunswick Wolfenbüttel -> Louise of Denmark -> Louise Caroline of Hesse-Kassel -> Christian VIII of Denmark -> Alexandra of Denmark-> George V -> George VI -> Elizabeth II

Last edited:
I forgot that important fact...
But even if its by marriage, then why doesn't it count?

I know a woman who lives in California, who is descended from one of Napoleon's cousins. It was the cousin who went to Lucca, Italy and farmed olive groves, but I didn't ask the name. My California friend has Variegate Porphyria and discovered that this family had it. Napoleon always held his side because of the Porphyria pain. This is what I was told by various writings, don't know if it's true. Probably is true, but people try to hide this so it gets obscure.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth is related to most of the current Europe Royal Houses and most Former Royal Houses (but they are now distant cousin with Harald v bring the closet relation who is her second cousin) Through Queen Victoria And King Christian IX.

A good question would be who she not related too?

Elizabeth II and Leka:

Johan Georg II of Anhalt-Dessau -> Henriètte Amalia of Anhalt-Dessau -> Johan Willem Friso of Orange-Nassau -> William IV of Orange-Nassau -> Carolina of Orange-Nassau -> Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg -> Louis of Wurttemberg -> Alexander of Wurttemberg -> Francis of Teck-> Mary of Teck -> George VI -> Elizabeth II

Johan Georg II of Anhalt-Dessau -> Leopold I of Anhalt-Dessau -> Leopold II of Anhalt-Dessau -> Agnes of Anhalt-Dessau -> Agnes von Loën -> Hermann von Seherr-Thoss -> Marguerite von Seherr-Thoss -> Gyula Apponyi de Nagy-Appony -> Geraldine Apponyi de Nagy-Appony -> Leka Crown Prince of Albania

Last edited:
By marriage yes. By blood I don't think so.

Princess Caroline married Prince Ernst of Hannover who is a descendent of George III and so Ernst and Elizabeth and Ernst and Philip are related through a number of different lines.

Another one I forgot to add is if HM is related to Princess Caroline of Hanover, Grace Kelly's daughter.

They are all descendants of Prince John William Friso, Prince of Orange, the most recent common ancestor of all the current European Monarchs.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Friso,_Prince_of_Orange

Ah. Even the other royals I listed?
If you can, show me their lines of descent as proof. I've heard a lot about some royal lineages (without the source listing the lines).

Johan Willem Friso and his wife, Marie Louise, are the most common ancestors for every currently reigning European house, and a good number of the non-reigning ones as well. I've compiled a list of all of their descendants, but I don't have my computer on me right now so I can't give you the chronicle right now but I will later.

By marriage yes. By blood I don't think so.

Princess Caroline married Prince Ernst of Hannover who is a descendent of George III and so Ernst and Elizabeth and Ernst and Philip are related through a number of different lines.

Mutual descent from Electress Sophie of Hanover.

If you can, show me their lines of descent as proof. I've heard a lot about some royal lineages (without the source listing the lines).

Okay, so I'll try to keep this as short as I can, and in doing so I'll just go to the point at which the line of Johan Willem Friso entered into the various currently reigning European royal houses.

Liechtenstein:

1. Johan Willem Friso and Marie Louise of Hesse-Kassel
  2. Princess Amalia of Nassau-Dietz
  3. Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Baden
  4. Charles Louis, Hereditary Prince of Baden
  5. Princess Caroline of Baden
  6. Princess Sophie of Bavaria
  7. Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria
  8. Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie of Austria, who married Prince Aloys of Liechtenstein; they were paternal grandparents to Hans-Adam II
Luxembourg

5. Princess Caroline of Baden
  6. Princess Ludovika of Bavaria
  7. Karl Theodor, Duke in Bavaria
  8. Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria
  9. Leopold III of Belgium
  10. Princess Josephine Charlotte of Belgium, who married Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
Belgium

The Belgium line is actually the same as the Luxembourg line; Duchess Elisabeth in Bavaria married Albert I of Belgium, and their grandsons were Baudouin and Albert II.

Sweden

5. Princess Friederike Dorothea Wilhelmina of Baden
  6. Princess Sophie of Sweden
  7. Frederick I, Grand Duke of Baden
  8. Princess Victoria of Baden, who married Gustaf V of Sweden. They were great-grand parents to Carl XVI Gustaf
Denmark

This line is also the same as the Swedish line; Victoria and Gustaf's elder son was father to Carl Gustaf, while their elder daughter, Princess Ingred of Sweden, married Frederick IX of Denmark. They were Margrethe II's parents.

Monaco

5. Charles, Grand Duke of Baden
  6. Princess Marie Amelie of Baden
  7. Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton, married Albert I of Monaco. They were great-grandparents to Ranier III
Spain

5. Princess Wilhelmine of Baden
  6. Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine
  7. Colonel Prince Henry of Battenburg
  8. Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, who married Alfonso XIII of Spain. They were grandparents to Juan Carlos I of Spain
Norway

2. William IV, Prince of Orange
  3. Princess Caroline of Orange-Nassau
  4. Frederick William, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg
  5. William, Duke of Nassau
  6. Princess Sophie of Nassau
  7. Prince Carl, Duke of Vastergotland
  8. Princess Martha of Sweden, who married Olav V of Norway. Their son is Harald V of Norway
United Kingdom

3. Princess Caroline of Orange-Nassau
  4. Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg
  5. Duke Alexander of Wurttemburg
  6. Francis, Duke of Teck
  7. Princess Mary of Teck, who married George V of the United Kingdom. They were parents to Edward VIII and George VI and grandparents to Elizabeth II
The Netherlands

Of course, Johan Willem is a male-line ancestor of the first monarchs of the Netherlands.

1. Johan Willem Friso
  3. William V, Prince of Orange
  4. William I of the Netherlands
  5. William II of the Netherlands
  6. William III of the Netherlands
  7. Wilhelmina of the Netherlands
  8. Julian of the Netherlands
  9. Beatrix of the Netherlands
  10. Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands

Last edited:
Hi Ish,
Do you have a line for France and Albania as well? To Louis Alphonse & Prince Leka II?

If any of you could answer this: Is HM related to the other royals I listed?

Are these royals related to HM Elizabeth II (of the UK of course)

1) Louis Philippe, Duke of Anjou
2) Infanta Alicia, Duchess of Calabria
3) Duchess Marie Therese of Wurttemberg
4) Louise Marie Therese d'Artois
5) Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen

Leka isn't a descendant of Johan Willem Friso, he's one of the few heads of a royal house to not be.

Louis Alphonse's line is the same as Juan Carlos' line, up to a point. He too is descended from Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battenburg and Alfonso XIII of Spain, their second son was Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia who was Louis Alphonse's grandfather.

Infante Alicia, born Princess Alicia of Bourbon-Parma, is a descendant through both of her parents (her husband is also a descendant), as is Duchess Marie Therese of Wurttemberg, ex-wife of Prince Henri of Orleans.

Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen, born 1771 and died 1847 (if that's the one you mean) is not a descendant, however his wife, Princess Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg, and their descendants are. I can't find a link to Louise Marie Therese d'Artois.

Johan Willem Friso and his wife, Marie Louise, are the most common ancestors for every currently reigning European house, and a good number of the non-reigning ones as well. I've compiled a list of all of their descendants, but I don't have my computer on me right now so I can't give you the chronicle right now but I will later.

Ish, as you have the list of descendants of Prince John William Friso, do you know if Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, descends from him? Thank you.

Ish, as you have the list of descendants of Prince John William Friso, do you know if Prince Luiz, the Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, descends from him? Thank you.

Prince Luiz is a descendant through both of his parents. On his father's side the line is through his grandmother, and on his mother's side it's through his grandfather.

1) Here's a link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Marie_Thérèse_d%27Artois 2) About Archduke Charles, he isn't? Would his and Henriette's children be?

Sorry, I meant that I couldn't find a link to Louise Marie Therese on my chart, not in general.

Looking at her children, I see that her sons, Robert I, Duke of Parma and Henry, Count of Bardi, married descendants (sisters Princess Maria Pia of the Two Sicilies and Princess Maria Louise of Bourbon-Two Sicilies).

The children of Charles and Robert would have all been descendants. Henry didn't have any children.

Prince Luiz is a descendant through both of his parents. On his father's side the line is through his grandmother, and on his mother's side it's through his grandfather.

Thank you, Ish.

So, if he descends from Prince John William Friso through Princess Pia Maria of the Two Sicilies, I suppose the Portuguese and French (Orleans) Royal Families are related to Prince John William Friso.

Am I right?

...Robert I, Duke of Parma and Henry, Count of Bardi, married descendants (sisters Princess Maria Pia of the Two Sicilies and Princess Maria Louise of Bourbon-Two Sicilies).
They married descendants of who?

Johan Willem Friso.

Thank you, Ish. So, if he descends from Prince John William Friso through Princess Pia Maria of the Two Sicilies, I suppose the Portuguese and French (Orleans) Royal Families are related to Prince John William Friso. Am I right?
The Bourbon, Orleans, and Napoleon claims to the throne of France are all descendants. The Portuguese claimant is also a descendant.

The Bourbon, Orleans, and Napoleon claims to the throne of France are all descendants. The Portuguese claimant is also a descendant.

Okay.

You know, Prince Luiz has a lot of Royal ancestors (I was unable to find a commoner ancestor going back five generations of his family tree).

It's difficult to find some European Royal His Imperial and Royal Highness is not a related to.

Thank you, Ish.

Oh, okay... *Facepalms* Should've known that before.

Ish, I also know that Prince William and the 16th Duke of Hamilton are related, through the Earls of Northumberland.

Here's the line (from the 16th Duke):

16th Duke of Hamilton->15th Duke of Hamilton->8th Duke of North..->7th Duke of North..->6th Duke of North..->Lord Lovaine->1st Earl Beverley->(Earl Beverley's first cousin) 4th Duke of North..->Hugh Percy, 2nd Duke of North..->Hugh Percy, 1st Duke of Northumberland

What would Prince William's line be? I know for a fact that he is related to "Hotspur" Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland. Plus, wouldn't Wills and the 16th Duke be related through the 1st Duke of North's wife Elizabeth Seymour? Her ally held the Earldom of Percy (aka Northumberland?)?

My other question is is Elizabeth II related to the 11th Duke of Hamilton? He (if I'm correct) is Prince Rainier's paternal great-great grandfather.

Don't how correct it is, but this is a pretty extensive database you can search and look for relations between two people:
Généalogie - Roglo
It shows these relations between HM Queen Elizabeth II and said Duke of Hamilton: *click*
It also has Prince Rainier III as 2x-great-grandson of the 11th Duke Hamilton through his mother Charlotte, her father Louis II and his mother Mary Douglas-Hamilton. Wikipedia confirms this (although I take Wikipedia with a grain of salt).
Hope this helps.
Only downside this database has is, that you have to try several spellings of a name until you have a hit (e.g. Amalia of Orange-Nassau can't be found, so you have to type in Catharina-Amalia van Oranje-Nassau). And it's not complete.

best wishes Michiru

PS: Long-time lurker finally posting. *blushes* Hello, everyone!

Michiru, thanks for the link. I found many, many, many lines where EII and the 11th Duke are relations of each other. So thanks for that.
But how do I enter in Prince William and the 16th Duke?
Perhaps you could prove my earlier statement, which was:
What would Prince William's line be? I know for a fact that he is related to "Hotspur" Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland. Plus, wouldn't Wills and the 16th Duke be related through the 1st Duke of North's wife Elizabeth Seymour? Her ally held the Earldom of Percy (aka Northumberland?)?
Michiru, I put in the Duke's full name (Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton) in Roglo, but the database couldn't find his name.
Do you know if William & the 16th Duke are related?

Michiru, I put in the Duke's full name (Alexander Douglas Douglas-Hamilton) in Roglo, but the database couldn't find his name. Do you know if William & the 16th Duke are related?

If you look at the line from George Villiers on the site that Michiru linked, the 4th person in the Douglas-Hamilton side is James Douglas Hamilton, the 4th Duke. That's where the 16th Duke's ancestry branches:

- The 4th Duke
- Lord Anne Hamilton
- Admiral Charles Hamilton
- Augustus Douglas-Hamilton
- The 13th Duke
- The 14th Duke
- The 15th Duke
- The 16th Duke

William's ancestry in that relationship would be the same as the Queen's, just with him and his father added to her afterwards.

Here is the line between the Duke of Cambridge and the 16th Duke of Hamilton: Relationship
Apparently they are closer related through the late Diana.

best wishes Michiru

Here is the line between the Duke of Cambridge and the 16th Duke of Hamilton: Relationship Apparently they are closer related through the late Diana. best wishes Michiru

I knew there was a Hamilton connection for Diana, but I couldn't remember it. My brain is on overload tracing Philip's various Spanish ancestors.

Here is the line between the Duke of Cambridge and the 16th Duke of Hamilton: Relationship
Apparently they are closer related through the late Diana.

best wishes Michiru

I saw your link. The name that kept coming up was Alfred Hamilton (1862-). I didn't see any mention of the 16th Duke at all...

I saw your link. The name that kept coming up was Alfred Hamilton (1862-). I didn't see any mention of the 16th Duke at all...

They all end in XX, which I think is the 16th Duke.

Okay. You know, Prince Luiz has a lot of Royal ancestors (I was unable to find a commoner ancestor going back five generations of his family tree). It's difficult to find some European Royal His Imperial and Royal Highness is not a related to. Thank you, Ish.
It would be impossible to find a currently ruling European Royal Family that the current Imperial House of Brazil isn't related to, as they all descend from Johan Willem Friso.

As the majority of the non-reigning European Houses also descend from him, it furthers the connection. I'm not sure who the most common ancestor is for all European royal houses, ruling and non-ruling, is, but I have a hard time believing that there isn't someone in recorded history who connects them all.

Oh, okay... *Facepalms* Should've known that before. Ish, I also know that Prince William and the 16th Duke of Hamilton are related, through the Earls of Northumberland. Here's the line (from the 16th Duke): 16th Duke of Hamilton->15th Duke of Hamilton->8th Duke of North..->7th Duke of North..->6th Duke of North..->Lord Lovaine->1st Earl Beverley->(Earl Beverley's first cousin) 4th Duke of North..->Hugh Percy, 2nd Duke of North..->Hugh Percy, 1st Duke of Northumberland What would Prince William's line be? I know for a fact that he is related to "Hotspur" Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland. Plus, wouldn't Wills and the 16th Duke be related through the 1st Duke of North's wife Elizabeth Seymour? Her ally held the Earldom of Percy (aka Northumberland?)?

I didn't read this post thoroughly earlier, and I'm computer-less again for the evening but I'll try to pull up this specific line for you later on tonight (if no one else finds it before then).

Back
Top Bottom