Descendants of Royals of the British Isles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one question about this line:

What if a person who is in line is an atheist and is not baptized in any faith?

Will that kind of person be excluded?Also,when a child to a line parents is born,is that child included in line from his birth automatically under the premise that his parents are of for example,protestant faith,or it is waited until the child id legally baptized...

As NGalitzine said, you can be of any faith bar the Roman Catholic one, or no faith at all, and still retain your place in the Line of Succession.

The Act of Settlement does, however, require the Monarch to belong to the Church of England, so if an atheist is next in the Line of Succession and there is a very good chance of him/her ascending to the Throne, he'll most probably have to join the Anglican Church, at least officially. The Monarch is still Head of the Church of England, so it would have been quite hypocritical if he/she didn't belong to the said Church.

Thank you! I wanted to know this exactly!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested to know how anyone can be a DIRECT descendant of Eadgar AEtheling. First there is no record of his marriage. Secondly there is a tantalising mention in 1158 and 1167 in the Pipe Roll of Northumberland of an Eadgar AEtheling, probably but not necessarily a bastard son, of whom there is no further mention and who then disappears from history.
It is possible to trace a direct link to Margaret, Edgar's sister, but not to Eadgar himself (unless some new document has emerged which shows his lineage, and it hasn't).
Eadgar's other sister Christina became a nun and remained childless.

:previous:
You're correct, Eadgar AEtheling left no known descendants.
The post you are referring to was made in 2007 and the member most likely just misread a genealogical table.

IF my 15th great grandfather was James IV, King of Scotland and Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, 12th great grandfather, what would our relationship be?

Thank You for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Cousin Calculator, Relationship Chart & Relationship Terms. Calculate the relationship between 2 people who share a common ancestor.

"You and your relative are 13th cousins 3 times removed"

Somehow I don't think I will be ascending to the British throne this life time, but I am more than excited to find I am related to her Majesty, no matter how distantly. :)

I too lay claim to the throne but first most of the world must first die off, but then it's mine I say! lol I lay claim via Ethelred I King of Wessex later King of England, b837. Tenure 865–871

I just found a new connection: James I Stuart, King of Britain b. 19 JUN 1566 in Edinburgh Castle , Scotland. Who was the son of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots. Wow that makes me related to King Henry the VIII via his sister. Now that is cool. O Well dreaming is fun.

Last edited:
I too lay claim to the throne but first most of the world must first die off, but then it's mine I say! lol I lay claim via Ethelred I King of Wessex later King of England, b837. Tenure 865–871
I'm afraid not only most of the world would have to die first, but the law should be changed as well. ;)
As it is, only legitimate protestant descendants of Sophie, Electress of Hanover can ascend to the British Throne.

This is a very interesting thread, seems like nearly everyone is in line for the throne :D

In my particular case, no I am not for one reason: I'm Roman Catholic ;)

I also am descended from a few royal families of Europe and also Britain but alas--not from Electress Sophia so I will not start choosing tiaras yet...

I'm a descendent from Henri Capet. That's the only thing I know :p
And I'm roman Catholic too, so no chance I'll be queen one day ;)

The only "throne" I'd be in line for at Buckingham Palace would be the public restroom on a tour. :D

There very well could be "blood" or connections in my genetic tree but as I was adopted at 3 weeks old, I don't see them coming to light any time soon.

I am not in line fore the British Throne hahaha

The only thing I know of my family is that we were in the court of Charlemagne, not sure anything besides that though. I have heard a bit that I might be related to Diana though who descends from Margaret Tudor and the Scottish Royal Family

The only thing I know of my family is that we were in the court of Charlemagne, not sure anything besides that though. I have heard a bit that I might be related to Diana though who descends from Margaret Tudor and the Scottish Royal Family
If you are related to Diana through the Tudor line, then you are also related to the Queen and Prince Philip, and indeed most European Royal Houses.

If you are related to Diana through the Tudor line, then you are also related to the Queen and Prince Philip, and indeed most European Royal Houses.

But still not in the line of succession to the British throne, sorry.

But still not in the line of succession to the British throne, sorry.

I agree,this should be the thread about people who are in the line for the Britsih throne,not about someone who thinks that he/she has descended from the Charlemagne...

There should be another thread for such genealogical talks as I think that it could also be interesting,but nit here as it can spam the subject ;)

Last edited:

As do the entire current BRF - Margaret - James V - Mary Queen of Scots - James VI (and I) - Elizabeth - Sophie - George I - George II - Frederick - George III - Edward - Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth - Charles - William - new baby

Philip comes from Victoria thus - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Philip - Charles - William - new baby etc

Being related to Diana through her descent from Margaret Tudor is common for most member of European royalty and British nobility including such people as The Duchess of Cornwall and Sarah, Duchess of York

^^^ previous, aren't most modern royals descended from Victoria?

Yes - and so they are descended from the Stuart and Tudors as well.

That's what I was thinking you meant. I just had a moment of "wait, are there a lot of modern monarchies descended from the Tudor-Stuarts but not the Hanovers?"

Australian Royal Lineage & my own line

Hi guys!
I'm interested in any other Australians that have been able to trace their roots back to royalty.

It has been a fascinating and extraordinary journey of discovery for me to find that my GG Grandmother had royal connections, (which had been rumoured but never backed up) ,until several years ago and much research.

My GG Grandmother was Louisa Florence Manners, and her line goes way back to Sir Thomas Manners 1st Earl of Rutland, his Father George married Anne St Leger, daughter of Anne of Exeter Plantaganet, daughter of Richard III Duke of York.

I also have an interest in my own family name, Cowley which has been associated with the Duke of Wellington but i've found no connection, All of my Cowley line came from Gloustershire.

This is my lineage to Richard the third duke of York.

Richard III Duke of York Plantagenet (1411 - 1460) is your 17th great grandfather
Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter Plantagenet (1439 - 1475) daughter of Richard III Duke of York Plantagenet
Lady Anne St Leger (1466 - 1526) daughter of Anne of York, Duchess of Exeter Plantagenet
Sir Thomas Manners 1st Earl of Rutland (1488 - 1543) son of Lady Anne St Leger
Sir Thomas (lusty) Manners of Nottingham Castle (1537 - 1591) son of Sir Thomas Manners 1st Earl of Rutland
Sir Charles Manners (1571 - 1627) son of Sir Thomas (lusty) Manners of Nottingham Castle <---found convicted of Recusancy fled to Wiltshire?
Thomas Manners (1600 - 1627) son of Sir Charles Manners
James Manners (1627 - 1725) son of Thomas Manners
Henry Manners (1652 - 1740) son of James Manners
Joseph Manners (1682 - ) son of Henry Manners
David Manners (1709 - 1783) son of Joseph Manners
Mary Manners (1754 - 1790) daughter of David Manners
Joseph Hillier Manners (1777 - 1841) son of Mary Manners <---illegitimate son to Joseph Hillier (married after son was born) kept mothers name.
Henry Manners Senior (1816 - 1867) son of Joseph Hillier Manners
Henry Manners Junior (1836 - 1909) son of Henry Manners Senior
<---moved to Adelaide South Australia with family
Louisa Florence Manners (1868 - 1965) daughter of Henry Manners Junior
Doris Dell Fauser (1899 - 1998) daughter of Louisa Florence Manners
Edith Dell Trowse (1919 - 1990) daughter of Doris Dell Fauser
Terence Maxwell Cowley (1943 - ) son of Edith Dell Trowse
Jason Travis Cowley You are the son of Terence Maxwell Cowley

Amazingly the Manners line continues back to the time of the Norman conquest of England.

I am descended from Edward I

1. Edward I of England (17 June 1239 – 7 July 1307) m. Eleanor of Castile (1241 – 28 November 1290)
  2. Joan of Acre (April 1272-April 23, 1307) m. Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Gloucester (2 September 1243-7 December 1295)
  3. Margaret de Clare (October 1293-April 1342) m. Piers Gaveston, 1st Earl of Cornwall (c. 1284-19 June 1312)
  4. Amy de Gaveston (1311-1340) m. John de Driby (c. 1289-c. 1357)
  5. Alice de Driby (c. 1340-1412) m. Sir Ralph Basset (c. 1329-1378)
  6. Jane Basset (c. 1368-c. 1394) m .Sir John de Stourton (c. 1361-405)
  7. Sir John Stourton (c. 1390-1438)
  8. Alice Stourton (c. 1431-1491) m. Robert Hill (1421-1493)
  9. Johanna Hill (c. 1470-1557) m. Sir Nicholas Wadham (1472-1542)
  10. Mary Wadham (c. 1495-?) m. Sir Richard Chudleigh (d. 1558)
  11. Wilmot Chudleigh (d. 1569) m. Richard Coffin (d. 1555)
  12. James Coffin (c. 1512-1566)
  13. Peter Coffin (c. 1535-1560)
  14. Nicholas Coffin (1555-1613)
  15. Peter Coffin (1580-1627) m. Joanne Kember
  16. Tristram Coffin (1609-1681) m. Dionis Stevens
Tristram Coffin is ancestor to a huge number of Americans; if you have any New England ancestry, there's a good chance it includes him.

I'm a descendant of British royalty but don't have proof of it nor do I have any names. Does anyone know of a British royal who individuals from the American mid-west can trace their ancestry.

Edward I Longshanks, King of England was my 22nd great grandfather.

It goes like this,

Me!

Edgar Melton
my father

show 21 relatives
Luther Melton, Sr
his father

Benjamin Melton
his father

George Melton
his father

Allen Melton
his father

James Melton
his father

James Melton
his father

Mary Preston
his mother

Capt. Luke Smith
her father

Hannah Smith
his mother

Capt. Luke Hitchcock
her father

John Hiscocke
his father

Robert Richard Hitchcock
his father

John Hitchcock
his father

Mary Hitchcock
his mother

Lady Anne Savage (de Brostick)
her mother

Elizabeth Skryven
her mother

Anne Dutton
her mother

Eleanor Tuchet (de Holland), Baroness Audley
her mother

Edmund Holland, 4th Earl of Kent
her father

Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent
his father

Joan of Kent, Countess of Kent
his mother

Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent
her father

Edward I Longshanks, King of England
his father

My last royal ancestor (I think) was John of Gaunt (the 16th richest man in history; unfortunately he did not pass it on to all of his line). I am also descended from Joan of Acre (hello cousins), Gwyneth of Wales (Llewellyn Fawr's elder son), Princess Joan and Llewelyn Fawr, and Black Will de Braose. Naturally, that means descent from a host of others (like most people who can claim any Platagenet descendency, I have lots of ancestors from the Normans; it always surprises me when I find one more set of third or fourth cousins on that side marrying each other; it shouldn't surprise me by now, but it does).

I descend from two of Eleanor of Aquitane's children, for example, as some of her gggrandchildren intermarried.

John of Gaunt's daughter (my gXgrandmother) was Duchess of Exeter, I title I rather fancy. I wouldn't know any of this had my family not had professional genealogists to connect them up (I descend from Taylors, Thorntons and Savages who were at Jamestown). I wouldn't quite be comfortable being more specific, down to the generations (nor would my mother, I think).

I'm afraid not only most of the world would have to die first, but the law should be changed as well. ;)
As it is, only legitimate protestant descendants of Sophie, Electress of Hanover can ascend to the British Throne.

I think if most of the world dies off, we can manage a simple legal change.

Illegitimate and female lines would have to be included for me to be in the succession.

I think if most of the world dies off, we can manage a simple legal change.

Illegitimate and female lines would have to be included for me to be in the succession.

Female lines can already ascend to the throne. It's just illegitimate lines and those who are descended from an earlier ancestor than Sophie of Hanover.

I think the closest I get is descent through James IV of Scotland, through an illegitimate line. I can trace my line to most of the Scottish monarchs before him, and most of the English monarchs before Henry VII.

direct descendant of william 1 ( william the conquerer)

Hi Im Helen Hayden, my fathers line is a direct line from King William the second de peverell through de cardon/de heydon/hayden to this day, william 1 is my 34th gr grandfather :D I live in australia, so suppose id have some title if henry the 1st hadnt stole the throne!! :lol:

William 11 de Peverell king rufus the red ( - 1100)
is your 33rd great grandfather

William (guilame) Heydon DeCardon . Knight (1064 - 1087)
son of William 11 de Peverell king rufus the red

Sir William De Heydon (1080 - 1175)
son of William (guilame) Heydon DeCardon . Knight

sir William DeHeydon (1100 - 1175)
son of Sir William De Heydon

Gilbert DeHeydon (1120 - 1170)
son of sir William DeHeydon

Samuel De Heydon (1160 - 1235)
son of Gilbert DeHeydon

sir Thomas de Haydon (1155 - 1250)
son of Samuel De Heydon

William DeHeydon (1220 - 1272)
son of sir Thomas de Haydon

John DeHeydon (1245 - 1336)
son of William DeHeydon

ROBERT DeHEYDON (1260 - 1291)
son of John DeHeydon

SIR HENRY HAYDON, Knight (1291 - 1382)
son of ROBERT DeHEYDON

Sir William Haydon (1315 - 1406)
son of SIR HENRY HAYDON, Knight

Sir Robert Haydon (1339 - 1407)
son of Sir William Haydon

Sir John Haydon (1383 - 1479)
son of Sir Robert Haydon

SIR HENRY HAYDON 11 Knight (1434 - 1504)
son of Sir John Haydon

WILLIAM HAYDON of Boughwood (1411 - 1471)
son of SIR HENRY HAYDON 11 Knight

Richard I Haydon (1452 - 1533)
son of WILLIAM HAYDON of Boughwood

Richard Haydon 11 (1484 - 1533)
son of Richard I Haydon

Thomas Haydon (1490 - 1556)
son of Richard Haydon 11

John Haydon (1515 - 1560)
son of Thomas Haydon

John Haydon (1545 - 1595)
son of John Haydon

John Haydon (1566 - )
son of John Haydon

Humphrey Haydon (1601 - )
son of John Haydon

John Haydon (1640 - )
son of Humphrey Haydon

William Haydon (1671 - 1710)
son of John Haydon

William Haydon (1698 - 1751)
son of William Haydon

William Haydon (1736 - 1786)
son of William Haydon

Thomas Haydon (1767 - 1832)
son of William Haydon

thomas hayden (1782 - 1834)
son of Thomas Haydon

Thomas Hayden (1816 - 1866)
son of thomas hayden

Henry james hayden (1847 - 1908)
son of Thomas Hayden

Elizabeth Ellen Hayden (1876 - 1949)
daughter of Henry james hayden

Leonard George Hayden (1898 - 1969)
son of Elizabeth Ellen Hayden

Leonard Robert Hayden (1920 - 1989)
son of Leonard George Hayden

Robert Ernest hayden
son of Leonard Robert Hayden

helen hayden
You are the daughter of Robert Ernest hayden - (not you?)

Last edited:
Do you mean to say that you're descended from William II of England? I would check your line there if I was you, as he never married, had no known children, and is now commonly beloved to have been gay.

While Henry I did seize the throne it wasn't from William II. William died and the heir was suppose to be their elder brother, Robert Curthose, Duke of Normandy, but Robert wasn't in England at the time so Henry took advantage and established himself as king.

Back
Top Bottom