Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
I have one question about this line:

What if a person who is in line is an atheist and is not baptized in any faith?

Will that kind of person be excluded?Also,when a child to a line parents is born,is that child included in line from his birth automatically under the premise that his parents are of for example,protestant faith,or it is waited until the child id legally baptized...
As NGalitzine said, you can be of any faith bar the Roman Catholic one, or no faith at all, and still retain your place in the Line of Succession.

The Act of Settlement does, however, require the Monarch to belong to the Church of England, so if an atheist is next in the Line of Succession and there is a very good chance of him/her ascending to the Throne, he'll most probably have to join the Anglican Church, at least officially. The Monarch is still Head of the Church of England, so it would have been quite hypocritical if he/she didn't belong to the said Church.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Thank you! I wanted to know this exactly!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 AM

I'd be interested to know how anyone can be a DIRECT descendant of Eadgar AEtheling. First there is no record of his marriage. Secondly there is a tantalising mention in 1158 and 1167 in the Pipe Roll of Northumberland of an Eadgar AEtheling, probably but not necessarily a bastard son, of whom there is no further mention and who then disappears from history.
It is possible to trace a direct link to Margaret, Edgar's sister, but not to Eadgar himself (unless some new document has emerged which shows his lineage, and it hasn't).
Eadgar's other sister Christina became a nun and remained childless.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Administrator

You're correct, Eadgar AEtheling left no known descendants.
The post you are referring to was made in 2007 and the member most likely just misread a genealogical table.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Commoner

IF my 15th great grandfather was James IV, King of Scotland and Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, 12th great grandfather, what would our relationship be?

Thank You for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Cousin Calculator, Relationship Chart & Relationship Terms. Calculate the relationship between 2 people who share a common ancestor.

"You and your relative are 13th cousins 3 times removed"

Somehow I don't think I will be ascending to the British throne this life time, but I am more than excited to find I am related to her Majesty, no matter how distantly.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 AM
Commoner

I too lay claim to the throne but first most of the world must first die off, but then it's mine I say! lol I lay claim via Ethelred I King of Wessex later King of England, b837. Tenure 865–871

I just found a new connection: James I Stuart, King of Britain b. 19 JUN 1566 in Edinburgh Castle , Scotland. Who was the son of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots. Wow that makes me related to King Henry the VIII via his sister. Now that is cool. O Well dreaming is fun.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Shirley View Post
I too lay claim to the throne but first most of the world must first die off, but then it's mine I say! lol I lay claim via Ethelred I King of Wessex later King of England, b837. Tenure 865–871
I'm afraid not only most of the world would have to die first, but the law should be changed as well.
As it is, only legitimate protestant descendants of Sophie, Electress of Hanover can ascend to the British Throne.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Nobility

This is a very interesting thread, seems like nearly everyone is in line for the throne

In my particular case, no I am not for one reason: I'm Roman Catholic
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 AM

Same here, leidi
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Nobility

I also am descended from a few royal families of Europe and also Britain but alas--not from Electress Sophia so I will not start choosing tiaras yet...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Nobility

I'm a descendent from Henri Capet. That's the only thing I know :p
And I'm roman Catholic too, so no chance I'll be queen one day

Queen Mathilde
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The only "throne" I'd be in line for at Buckingham Palace would be the public restroom on a tour.

There very well could be "blood" or connections in my genetic tree but as I was adopted at 3 weeks old, I don't see them coming to light any time soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

I am not in line fore the British Throne hahaha
Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Commoner

The only thing I know of my family is that we were in the court of Charlemagne, not sure anything besides that though. I have heard a bit that I might be related to Diana though who descends from Margaret Tudor and the Scottish Royal Family
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialPrincess View Post
The only thing I know of my family is that we were in the court of Charlemagne, not sure anything besides that though. I have heard a bit that I might be related to Diana though who descends from Margaret Tudor and the Scottish Royal Family
If you are related to Diana through the Tudor line, then you are also related to the Queen and Prince Philip, and indeed most European Royal Houses.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
If you are related to Diana through the Tudor line, then you are also related to the Queen and Prince Philip, and indeed most European Royal Houses.
But still not in the line of succession to the British throne, sorry.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
But still not in the line of succession to the British throne, sorry.
I agree,this should be the thread about people who are in the line for the Britsih throne,not about someone who thinks that he/she has descended from the Charlemagne...

There should be another thread for such genealogical talks as I think that it could also be interesting,but nit here as it can spam the subject
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Courtier

Very interesting thread :)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialPrincess View Post

As do the entire current BRF - Margaret - James V - Mary Queen of Scots - James VI (and I) - Elizabeth - Sophie - George I - George II - Frederick - George III - Edward - Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth - Charles - William - new baby

Philip comes from Victoria thus - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Philip - Charles - William - new baby etc

Being related to Diana through her descent from Margaret Tudor is common for most member of European royalty and British nobility including such people as The Duchess of Cornwall and Sarah, Duchess of York
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^ previous, aren't most modern royals descended from Victoria?