The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natibird View Post
Well sure somewhere along the line I would have a claim. I can trace my family tree from my dad, through his mother (Lorna) and then through plenty of princes, princesses, lords etc, until we get to William De Meschines, Richard I of Normandy, and then Charlamagne (Charles the Great) Holy Roman Emperor. So im a direct descendant of Charlamagne and also the First King of England. My tree is pretty interesting to read and "freaked" my dad out when i finalised it after 2 years research. The only reason why we have no entitlement now is due to "law or Peerage". But if they were desperate, guess that would be the case. A direct relative descendant was also on the first Order of the Garter aswell as signing of the Magna carter.

I think we are related! Somewhere down the line. My husband was a little jealous to see my line!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Commoner

In my experience internet genealogies showing that you are descended from Royalty centuries ago are highly suspect. I found one which showed one of my Victorian ancestors, and therefore myself, was descended from Charlemagne. When I looked into it there was a huge margin for doubt when descent was claimed from a supposed illegitimate son of an English Prince, the best authorities on the subject say no more than he was a possible son and it could not be proven. That for me is not enough to claim Royal descent.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM

I created an account here just so I could reply to this post.

While doing my own genealogy work, I discovered there was an ancestor who was supposedly descended, twice out of wedlock, to King Charles II Stuart. Now, since he didn't have any legitimate heirs, even if this claim turns out to be true, I wouldn't be in line for the throne. But it is a fun bit of family trivia. If it is true, it would make him my 11th Great-Grandfather.

I also discovered a Bodwell in my ancestry that claims to be from a line of ancient Celtic Kings. Again, this can not be proven either, as we are talking 100-500AD times, but it is interesting to speculate on having "Royal Blood" running through my veins. :)

Of course, since I'm from America, I couldn't claim any European crown anyway! But maybe I should make my own Kingdom instead! But no, I'm not in line for the British Throne.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

In reply to the original question " Are you in line for the British Throne?"

No thank goodness! I couldn't bear either the intrusion or the scrutiny. :)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow View Post
... Royals Stuarts , the second clan were unmistakable. Often had brilliantly red hair, long noses complimented by soft featured faces with cats eyes ( almond shaped eyes from earlier marriage with Fraser Clan). Men were usually around 6'0, women around 5'6-5'11 in height...
Looks in mirror. Reads again. Looks in mirror again. Damn freaky...
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

If you were, say, 3,459th in the Line of Succession, there wouldn't be any intrusion but definitely something to boast about.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

3,460th and you might b right

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Obviously there would not be a claim to Succession from me since my family's claim is of being descendant from King Charles II Stuart, Electress Sophia of Hanover's first cousin. That + his children all being out of wedlock + another out-of-wedlock claim that can not be verified + being from America makes me pretty much not eligible at all. But even possibly being a little related is fun bragging rights. lol
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Lineal Descendant of Edward III

Well, this ought to count for something...

My 19th great grandfather was Edward III. That means that nearly every king of England prior to 21 Jun 1377 was my grandfather.

So, where do I go to sign up for the job?

- Roy
Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness

Doesn't a person have to be descended from the Electress Sophia of Hanover, to be in line for the British throne? If that's the case, then its a big fat NO for me!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Doesn't a person have to be descended from the Electress Sophia of Hanover, to be in line for the British throne?
Indeed you do. I've always found the title Electress so much more interesting than Queen.

I'm in line for the british throne, in my head. Does that count?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Aristocracy

On the paternal side, my family is one that came with William the Conqueror from Normandy and is subsequently listed in the Domesday book. It is an anglicized French/Norman name and the original ancestor was given land and title in Ireland. In the early 1600s, by this time impoverished and titleless, the last male ancestor from that side of the family came here and settled in Nova Scotia on the very first boat that left England for the New World. Several locations, including a well known body of water, bear the family name.

On my mother's distaff, we wear the Stuart tartans and can trace ancestors back to the Scottish Stuarts, Mary and James (this is no great claim, at this late date, many, many people are related to nobility). That part of the family came here in the late 1700s and has been here since, marrying willy nilly with, apparently, any Irishman that came along :)

So, yeah, sort of.

My daughter has the interesting fate of having two family crests, coats of arms and mottos, one of which is roughly "war" and one of which is "peace" (I am being deliberately ambiguous in the translation but this is correct in spirit).
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy D Pope Jr View Post
Well, this ought to count for something...
My 19th great grandfather was Edward III. That means that nearly every king of England prior to 21 Jun 1377 was my grandfather.

So, where do I go to sign up for the job?
- Roy
I believe over 30% of British people of English descent can claim descent from Edward III, so you'll have quite a competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astartiel View Post
Obviously there would not be a claim to Succession from me since my family's claim is of being descendant from King Charles II Stuart, Electress Sophia of Hanover's first cousin. That + his children all being out of wedlock + another out-of-wedlock claim that can not be verified + being from America makes me pretty much not eligible at all. But even possibly being a little related is fun bragging rights. lol
The out of wedlock aspect notwithstanding, being American wouldn't have harmed your succession rights in any way. As long as you are not a Catholic, not married to one and can claim ancestry from the Electress through a legitimate (and non-Catholic) line, you'd be eligible.

Quote:
Doesn't a person have to be descended from the Electress Sophia of Hanover, to be in line for the British throne? If that's the case, then its a big fat NO for me!
That's indeed the case. In order to be in the (very, very long) Line of Succession to the British Throne, you have to be a legitimate descendant of Sophia, Electress of Hanover through a Protestant line. And of course, you can't be a Catholic or married to a Catholic yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Indeed you do. I've always found the title Electress so much more interesting than Queen.

I'm in line for the British throne, in my head. Does that count?
The only place and way it counts, Lumutqueen.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Oh well... it was worth a try. Maybe I'll just start my own kingdom. Now all I need is a vast tract of land, peers, subjects, a chest of gold and jewels, a... uh, forget the vast tract of land, peers and subjects. I'd be happy just getting my hands on a chest of gold and jewels.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Serene Highness

Just having Edward III as an ancestor does not at all make one a lineal descendant of every other King. There was the whole Tudor thing, for example.

And Edward III had several children who were not Kings. That's why there was, later, the War of the Roses. Are you also a descendant of Richard II? I would warrant not.

Like others, you are probably a descendant of a non-reigning line. I am a descendant of John of Gaunt (whose son, Henry IV, IIRC, eventually was crowned). Both men (John of Gaunt and Henry IV) had non-reigning descendants.

Just because you have an ancestor who reigned doesn't mean the entire line since then was reigning. That's the whole problem (sigh). Otherwise, yes, indeed, I'd be Queen.

Oh, and someone should make an edict that this whole Sophie thing is just a ruse. Restore the Plantagenets!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Courtier

I have one question about this line:

What if a person who is in line is an atheist and is not baptized in any faith?

Will that kind of person be excluded?Also,when a child to a line parents is born,is that child included in line from his birth automatically under the premise that his parents are of for example,protestant faith,or it is waited until the child id legally baptized...
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

The only exclusion is for Roman Catholics or those who marry a Roman Catholic. You are automatically in the line of succession until you either become Roman Catholic or marry one.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

I think the Sovereign must be in communion with the Church of England. Does this mean a public belief and confession?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think the Sovereign must be in communion with the Church of England. Does this mean a public belief and confession?
Guess that depends on what you mean by public belief and confession. The Coronation is a Christian ceremony conducted by Anglican clergy and organized by a Roman Catholic peer. Also the monarch will over the course of their reign attend numerous Anglican church services.
I suppose if one were an athiest it would depend on how much of a compromise in your beliefs you are willing to take in order to assume the throne. Henry IV felt "Paris is worth a mass" so might St Edwards Crown not also be worth a few church services, even if you were not a true believer?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Henry IV felt "Paris is worth a mass" so might St Edwards Crown not also be worth a few church services, even if you were not a true believer?
Excellent!

You're very good at getting to the point of the matter.

In the context of the original question regarding atheism, this is as succinct and perfect a summary as is possible.

So, yeah, what she said :)