The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Gentry

did my family tree and if scotland was still an independent monarchy i could be queen after the 8,000 people before me died lol

Old 01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

Supposedly I can claim a relation to William the Conqueror but don't think I have anything to any of the earlier groups there so I'd be out. It's all theory, still working on the paperwork to back everything up.
As it is, I'm just a good ol' mutt also.
I can prove I'm a descendant of the Mayflower pilgrims, eligible to join various societies here such as Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Daughters of the Confederacy, and Colonial Dames but I don't have time to do any of their activities as it is. Perhaps when I retire I can spend more time on researching family trees, gathering stories and photographs as I would like. I'm currently scanning all our current family albums to try to preserve what I can for my niece should she show an interest later on. It will have to go to her or one of my other cousins to pass down the line but at least it won't be lost.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

I've traced my father's side back to 1522 in Scotland, but I don't think I have the "Royal" connection!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Well, I doubt it but we did find a direct line to one of the Gonzaga lot which puts me in the Bohemian line, so I suppose I'd have some kind of claim if bird flu takes hold and wipes out everyone but me and a small duck called Colin.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I've traced my father's side back to 1522 in Scotland, but I don't think I have the "Royal" connection!
An American who doesn't claim to be related to the Scots royal family, now you are a rarity! Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claimes decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness

My sister is one of our town's experts on geneology, and she did a lot of research about our ancestors already when she was in High School. Over here in Sweden, the priests were supposed to register all births, weddings and deaths in their "church books". This means that Sweden and Finland (which was our colony until 1809) has unusually good records from centuries back. But you usually only get as far as to the 1700s or the 1800s. But on our mother's father's side, my sister could follow one line back to the middle ages. And someone there was connected to some royal houses of the time. I could probably never claim any thrown though.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

Well does being related to the royal family of Spain count? Im still trying to put it all together but I think it might be kind of remote. Its kind of hard to link the puzzle. Our family never really talked about the history much so Im still trying. Would be interesting though.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claimes decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.
Bobby's wife was locked up by the English for 13 years and that gave him lots of time to beget lots of illegitimate brats!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
My sister is one of our town's experts on geneology, and she did a lot of research about our ancestors already when she was in High School. Over here in Sweden, the priests were supposed to register all births, weddings and deaths in their "church books". This means that Sweden and Finland (which was our colony until 1809) has unusually good records from centuries back. But you usually only get as far as to the 1700s or the 1800s. But on our mother's father's side, my sister could follow one line back to the middle ages. And someone there was connected to some royal houses of the time. I could probably never claim any thrown though.

The same register goes for Denmark. Would be fun though if there was a king amongst the forefathers.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Serene Highness

Then there must be similar records in Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands too, since they belonged to Denmark.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Gentry

Quote:
An American who doesn't claim to be related to the Scots royal family, now you are a rarity! Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claims decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.

My family tree has been traced back to Robert the Bruce.........and that is just the Scottish branch! I'm Scottish, Irish, English, German and French. Mainly Scottish and German. (I even know my clan name!!) I don't think I have any connections on the German side though........my Great-Great Grandparents came directly from Germany.....their names were Otto and Minnie (so cute!) and my Great-Grandma's name was Alfrieda, people never really understood how German my mom's side of the family was until I told them their names! I also always have to correct people on the spelling of my name.........its spelled the German way, not the French way! I'm thankful that we have so much info on our family, it is so interesting! But technically...........I could probably claim a tiny chunk of the throne!

Sadly enough.....well, it isn't really sad, but I have one ancestor named Abel.........and he had 14 kids..........every time we mention him, SOMEONE in the family always says "Well.....he certainly was willing and able!"

Anyhoo..

LOL! A very good friend of mine is part of the family that ruled Wales until the current Royals ousted them.........they get garden party invites every year! I was so mad at her when I first found out.....I was like "TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!"

So, could I possibly claim it? Yeah......possibly......would I want to? HECK NO!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 AM

I happened across this site yesterday while looking into something else, and being very interested in royal lines started to browse around. One of the threads that caught my eye was this. Firstly, I was startled that someone should have been seeking an heir to the House of Wessex when there is a known person who claims representation of it, the Infanta Alicia of Spain, born Princess Alicia of Parma. I have a genealogy showing this which needs a little cleaning up, but I will do that and post it should anyone betray interest.

Secondly, as the Infanta would doubtless acknowledge, this is nothing more than an interesting genealogical curiosity and gives no claim after so many centuries. She is arguably senior of line, but you would struggle to find any royal person in Europe not descending from this House. Probably the entire population of England does, though most of them couldn't trace. It especially gives no claim because the throne was not hereditary but elective in those days (though it is true that if the last King had a son he was virtually a shoo-in).

Thirdly because of the repeated statements about people being descended from Edgar Atheling. As far as is known Edgar Atheling had no children, was never married, and there is no descent from him. Any claim to representation must come from his sister St Margaret, Queen of Scots.

Apart from that it was an interesting thread. :-)
Old 12-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Well, this is fun!!

My maternal history takes me into the Irish and Scotish clans - the Donald clan in Scotland, so I'm not about to claim the Scotish throne as I believe the Donalds clashed with the Bruces & Stewarts.

My paternal history takes me to Normandy in France and descent form Rollo the Viking, who was an ancestor of William the Conqueror.
I am from a 6th son of Rollo, so can't claim to be Duke of Normandy - - "BUMMER!!".....

Also, I am from 2 French princesses - Gisele in the 10th century and Adele in the 14th century.
But because of Salic Law, I cannot claim the French throne - - "Double BUMMER!!"......
These women were descended from Charlemagne, so perhaps I should try for Holy Roman Emperor???
But wait, the Holy Roman Empire was disbanded in 1806, so that's out - - Triple BUMMER!!"

Oh Hell!! - - I give up...
No throne for me....

Larry
Old 12-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

What a shame Larry, you could have had some fun, those darn Salic laws and the way they keep getting rid of Kings and Queens in some countries is really annoying.
Perhaps you could find an old oil rig and set up a little kingdom there and give people passports for fantastic fees. Hold on I am giving myself an idea, don´t you dare do that, I thought of it first. Bummer (as you said) I think this has already been done.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Aristocracy

I am connected to the indian/pakistani kingdoms (abolished way back in 1800's)

I doubt I have any claim to the english throne unless ofcourse someone from my family during the time britain ruled india married a brit.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

We're a mutt. But then again, you need the mutts to serve the kings and queens . . . .
Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can definitely not claim the English Throne. I am a commoner by 1.000 % and a Catholic.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Of course I can claim the English Throne.......I'm just too lazy.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Under the Act of Settlement made at the time of Queen Anne Stuart's death only the descendants of Sophie, duches in Brunswick, being protestant and having married with the consent of the British sovereign are elligible for inclusion in the line of succession. I guess this would mean your ancestors as well. This century I have only read one order in council refusing a request for marriage, made by Queen Elizabetg II 5 or 6 years ago. No one could find out why the permission was refused. Perhaps a member here can elucidate.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian View Post
Of course I can claim the English Throne.......I'm just too lazy.
That's hilarious Australian. I think as time goes on the Royals are becoming more and more of a joke so I don't think anyone would own up to having claim to any Royal Throne. (JMPO)