Descendants of Royals of the British Isles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An American who doesn't claim to be related to the Scots royal family, now you are a rarity! Every American who goes to the National Archives of Scotland to trace their family tree claims decent from either Mary Stuart or Robert Bruce.

My family tree has been traced back to Robert the Bruce.........and that is just the Scottish branch! I'm Scottish, Irish, English, German and French. Mainly Scottish and German. (I even know my clan name!!) I don't think I have any connections on the German side though........my Great-Great Grandparents came directly from Germany.....their names were Otto and Minnie (so cute!) and my Great-Grandma's name was Alfrieda, people never really understood how German my mom's side of the family was until I told them their names! I also always have to correct people on the spelling of my name.........its spelled the German way, not the French way! I'm thankful that we have so much info on our family, it is so interesting! But technically...........I could probably claim a tiny chunk of the throne!

Sadly enough.....well, it isn't really sad, but I have one ancestor named Abel.........and he had 14 kids..........every time we mention him, SOMEONE in the family always says "Well.....he certainly was willing and able!":D

Anyhoo..

LOL! A very good friend of mine is part of the family that ruled Wales until the current Royals ousted them.........they get garden party invites every year! I was so mad at her when I first found out.....I was like "TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!!"

So, could I possibly claim it? Yeah......possibly......would I want to? HECK NO!

I happened across this site yesterday while looking into something else, and being very interested in royal lines started to browse around. One of the threads that caught my eye was this. Firstly, I was startled that someone should have been seeking an heir to the House of Wessex when there is a known person who claims representation of it, the Infanta Alicia of Spain, born Princess Alicia of Parma. I have a genealogy showing this which needs a little cleaning up, but I will do that and post it should anyone betray interest.

Secondly, as the Infanta would doubtless acknowledge, this is nothing more than an interesting genealogical curiosity and gives no claim after so many centuries. She is arguably senior of line, but you would struggle to find any royal person in Europe not descending from this House. Probably the entire population of England does, though most of them couldn't trace. It especially gives no claim because the throne was not hereditary but elective in those days (though it is true that if the last King had a son he was virtually a shoo-in).

Thirdly because of the repeated statements about people being descended from Edgar Atheling. As far as is known Edgar Atheling had no children, was never married, and there is no descent from him. Any claim to representation must come from his sister St Margaret, Queen of Scots.

Apart from that it was an interesting thread. :)

Hi,

Well, this is fun!!

My maternal history takes me into the Irish and Scotish clans - the Donald clan in Scotland, so I'm not about to claim the Scotish throne as I believe the Donalds clashed with the Bruces & Stewarts.

My paternal history takes me to Normandy in France and descent form Rollo the Viking, who was an ancestor of William the Conqueror.
I am from a 6th son of Rollo, so can't claim to be Duke of Normandy - - "BUMMER!!".....

Also, I am from 2 French princesses - Gisele in the 10th century and Adele in the 14th century.
But because of Salic Law, I cannot claim the French throne - - "Double BUMMER!!"......
These women were descended from Charlemagne, so perhaps I should try for Holy Roman Emperor???
But wait, the Holy Roman Empire was disbanded in 1806, so that's out - - Triple BUMMER!!"

Oh Hell!! - - I give up...
No throne for me....

Larry

What a shame Larry, you could have had some fun, those darn Salic laws and the way they keep getting rid of Kings and Queens in some countries is really annoying.
Perhaps you could find an old oil rig and set up a little kingdom there and give people passports for fantastic fees. Hold on I am giving myself an idea, don´t you dare do that, I thought of it first. Bummer (as you said) I think this has already been done.

I am connected to the indian/pakistani kingdoms (abolished way back in 1800's)

I doubt I have any claim to the english throne unless ofcourse someone from my family during the time britain ruled india married a brit.

We're a mutt. But then again, you need the mutts to serve the kings and queens . . . .:whistling:

I can definitely not claim the English Throne. I am a commoner by 1.000 % and a Catholic.

Of course I can claim the English Throne.......I'm just too lazy.

Under the Act of Settlement made at the time of Queen Anne Stuart's death only the descendants of Sophie, duches in Brunswick, being protestant and having married with the consent of the British sovereign are elligible for inclusion in the line of succession. I guess this would mean your ancestors as well. This century I have only read one order in council refusing a request for marriage, made by Queen Elizabetg II 5 or 6 years ago. No one could find out why the permission was refused. Perhaps a member here can elucidate.

Last edited:
Of course I can claim the English Throne.......I'm just too lazy.

That's hilarious Australian. I think as time goes on the Royals are becoming more and more of a joke so I don't think anyone would own up to having claim to any Royal Throne. :flowers: (JMPO)

I could possibly claim the english throne. Because on my Father's side of the family their is a Canute/Cornett Connection. My direct ancestor is King Canute The Great.:flowers:

Canute

I could possibly claim the english throne. Because on my Father's side of the family their is a Canute/Cornett Connection. My direct ancestor is King Canute The Great.:flowers:
Canute the great didnt leave any descendants.

I traced my family tree back beyond Alfred the Great...also to the ancient thrones of Denmark...and also to Henry Capet first king of France...

My family is German/Scottish I am guessing that there's a .9999999999999999999999999 chance that I can claim the English throne but to much work involved in trying to figure that out so I will leave myself out of it.

I do wish people would show how they can claim royal roots.

Sadly in my case I hit the wall of 'illegitimacy' in my paternal line and thus disqualify myself from a German-Austrian title, as well as an English royal line of descent

I most certainly can't claim the English/British thrones as I am not the senior descendent, in accordance to the various acts of parliament, of the Electress Sophia of Hannover. That position is held by Elizabeth II.

I do have some noble ancestry but not in that league.

Hello, old thread new member,

Anyhow, I can trace my ancestors back to St Margret Queen of Scotland and further in other branches but I'm not sure that qualifies for more than some good bed time stories:)

Anyone could claim it. My royal ancestry goes back to 17th century England but I can't tell you which British royal ancestor I'm related to (except he's an Earl or Lord). He's in the lower rungs of royalty. The birth of this child was out of wedlock. I was born out of wedlock, so both of these disqualify me. My birthparents both have British royality in their bloodlines, but that would hardly matter.

I would like to introduce myself...I am Ancient Princess and I have some information

MacFhingon Direct Ancestor of the Royal House of Ard Righ King Flann Sinna of Meath and the Royal House of Alpin

My name for now is Ancient Princess, I was born in the Pacific Northwest and have information about the MacKinnon family that is trying to get their line recognized as a Royal line of not only Scotland but of Ireland.I do have friends here. I want to thank you for accepting me on your site.

There is a genealogy that has come to light that traces directly back to the Ard Righ King Flann Sinna of Meath's daughter Princess Spontana of Crimthann that married into the line of the Royal House of Alpin down through King Alpins second son Donald I of Alpin and continued down through his direct descendents of MacFhingon's. There is a site on ancestry.com called Family Legacy Copyrighted & Registered 2008-2021 All Rights Reserved and a site on myspace called UNITE THE CLANS Deborahs Destiny that was put together by the direct heir of these lines. The detailed genealogy is on both of these sites. The genealogy will be presented to the Lord Lyon Courts in Edinburgh and the Chief Herald in Ireland for examination and approvel. Much attention was paid to finding out if there were other Clan lines that could claim this and from the research of their own proven genealogy's verified by each Chief of the differant Clans (both Irish & Scottish) no one came close to the current heir of MacFhingon. The MacFhingon name would be known today as MacKinnon. The Current Chief of MacKinnon is Madame Anne Gunheild of Antigua Mackinnons and is of a younger indirect line. The elder line however, is the Kilmorie/Mishnish line of MacKinnons and the heir is the owner of the above sites on ancestry and myspace. It will be interesting to see what will happen. Other royal lines came into the Royal House of Alpin, Alpins wife was the direct descendent of King Locene MacFhingon of Picts 645 A.D., Mary Haakonsdatter of Norway (Daughter of King Haakon IV of Norway) married Findanus MacFhingon/MacKinnon Great Elder Grandson of King Donald I of Alpin, MacFhingon's date back to Conn of One Hundred Battles and have a connection to St Columbas father and mother. The genealogy will posted here later for you to examine for yourself. It is backed up by Historic Documentation as well as Legal Proofs, Y-DNA Study Markers, Verified by Genealogist and Attorney of the family to be correct and true. It is a very clean line of descent and the heir is the eldest in line left. That is what prompted the journey to have this line examined. It is a line that was around in the time of the Pictish Kings and it continued to King Alpin second son King Donald I of Alpin. It stayed within direct biological elder males till the current heir. Kenneth I of Alpins line stopped at Lulach that was not of original Alpin blood. MacKinnons , however continued silently through the years and I am surprised that MacKinnon was not one of the 14 Claimants back in King Bruces time when they were trying to find a King for Scotland.
progress.gif

progress.gif

Last edited:
Alpin to MacFhingon genealogy put down with permission from owner.

King Locene MacFhingone of Cruithne of Picts b. d.645 AD
Princess Nim of Picts married Ard Righ King Eochaidh II of Lorn
King Eochaidh III of Lorn of Picts b 665 Pictavia, Alba d 721 buried at Reilig Oghran
King Aodh Hugh Fionn of Lorn of Picts b 695 Pictavia, Alba d 778 buried Reilig Odhran
married Ugaria Fergussa of Picts
King Eochaid b 735 d buried at Reilig Odhran Iona
King Alpin of Kintrye b. 784 Kintrye, Alba d. 20 July 841 buried at Reilig Odhran Iona
married to Princess Unuistic of n'Gabran
King Donald of Alpin b 811 Iona d 13 April 863 buried at Reilig Odhran Iona
married to Princess Malvina of Picts
Prince Girig b 835 Skye d 933 buried at Reilig Odhran Iona (not Giric)
married to Princess Dorgvigellia
Prince Doungallus b 900 Skye d buried at Reilig Odhran Iona
married to Princess Spontana of Crimthann of Ireland of Ard Righ King Flann Sinna of Meath Ireland
Prince & Chief Findanus MacFhingone b 930 Skye d 976 buried at Reilig Odhran Iona
married Princess Mary Haakonsdatter of Norway and daughter of King Haakon IV of
Norway.
Prince MacFindanus MacFingon/MacKinnon b 947 Dunnakin Castle d 1020 buried Reilig
Odhran Iona
Donald MacFingon/MacKinnon b Mull 964 d 1033
Cormac MacFingon/MacKinnon b 983 Mull d 1066
Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1031 Mull d 1096
Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1052 Mull d 1126
Kenneth MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1082 Mull d 1156 Strathardill, Skye
Donald MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1099 Strathardill, Skye d 1186
Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1126 Strathardill, Skye d 1216
Eowin MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1149 Strathardill, Skye d 1246
Alpin MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1166 Mull d 1252
Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1198 Mull d 1294
Donald MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1224 Mull d 1315
Eobhan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1261 Mulld 1351 Hanged
Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1328 Mull d 1392 buried Reilig
Odhran Iona
Lachlan Na Thiomlaidh MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1345 Mull d 1442 buried
Reilig Odhran Iona
Nial Budh MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1365 Mull d 1460
Lachlan Bhan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1402 Mull d 1501 Strathardill, Skye
Nial Bhan MacFingon/MacKinnon b. 1500 Strathardill, Skye d 1572
Ewen Rudh nan Cath MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1517 Strathardill, Skye d 1565 (Aug 5 1545 at Castle Fergus Carta Eugeni MacFhingone)
Lachlan Dubh Blackhaired MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1545 Mull d 1634 buried at Cill
Chriosod Iona.
Sir Lachlan MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1562 Mull d 1634 buried at Cill Chriosod Iona. He was Knighted by King Charles I Jan 15 1628.
Ian Balbhan of Kilmorie MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1579 Mull d 1642 Kilmorie Estate Strathardill, Skye buried at Dunara Castle. Married Catherine of Coll McLean
Sir Lachlan Mor MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1631 Kilmorie Estate Strathardill, Skye d Strathardill, Skye buried at Cill Chrisod. First marriage Mary McLean second marriage Moir of Uilnish McLeod.
Ian Na Mishnish MacFingon/MacKinnon b 1657 Erray House Mishnish Estate Mull d 1750 buried at Cill Chrisod. First wife Anne McDonald second wife Margaret McKenzie.
Lt. John MacKinnon b 1735 Erray House Mishnish Estate Mull d 7 Jan 1771 Tusket Island Sluice. buried at Townpoint Cemetery Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Canada.
Major John MacKinnon b 1752 Erray House Mishnish Estate Mull d 1841 buried Cill Chriosod. Married Dame Margaret Burgess Smithies Affleck. Marriage date Aug 15 1792 at Marylebone Church officiated by Rev John Harley.
Hugh I of Mishnish MacKinnon b Apr 5 1803 Glasgow, Scotland d 25 July 1885 lot 33 Prince Edward Island and buried Highfield Cemetery. Married Anna Elizabeth McDonald of lot 33.
William Alexander MacKinnon b 1822 Glasgow, Scotland d 1912 lot 23 Buried Highfield Cemetery. Married Mary McLean.
William Edwin MacKinnon b 8 July 1864 lot 23 Prince Edward Island Canada d 19 Sept 1951 Bellingham, Washington United States. Married Maude Iva Richards. Maude a descendent of King Richard I of England. Buried at Bayview Cemetery in Bellingham Washington.
William Clarence MacKinnon b 9 May 1889 Bellingham, Washington United States d 18 Oct 1959 Bellingham, Washington United States. Married Esther Hamilton of Hamiltons of New York. Esther's mother was Marjorie Matilda Burdick direct descendnet of Robert Burdick of Rhode Island that was a direct descendent of Plantaganet ancestry.
Ardra Raye McKinnon b 6 Apr 1937 Bellingham, Washington United States. Married Jack Edward Kabela of Austrian descent.

The main sources used:The family (MacFhingon/MacKinnon) bible, Annuls of Ulster, Annuls of the Four Masters, Pictish King History,Poppleton Manuscripts,Book of Deer,Genealogy of St Columba, Memoirs of Clan Fhingon,Book of Durrough,History of Skye, History of Canada, History of Bellingham, History of Midi Kings of Ireland,Annuals of Albania. Castles of the MacKinnons that dated back to the Royal house of Alpin, Dun Ringill, Dunnakin

Let the Clan of Gray Fingon, whose offspring has given such hero's to earth, and such martyres to heaven, Unite with the race of renowned Rori Mor, To Launch the long galley, and the stretch to the oar.
The Gatherings of the Clans, at Glenfinnan 1745 AD

*Note Giric that killed Aed was a stepson to Malvina of Kenneths line and is not of Alpin blood, Giric should not be confused with Girig son of King Donald. BBC History of Scotland Last of the Free with Historian and Archialogist verified this.

* King Kenneth of Alpin (King Donald of Alpins brother) moved his seat of power from Skye ( Western Highlands) to Scone in Perthshire, then later moved again to Dunfermline and lastly Edinburgh. King Fergus Mor ( son of King Erc) established a earlier Kingdom of Dalraiida before King Alpin of Kintyres sons in Skye and Mull. You will find the Isles of Skye and Mull are of original Pictish Stock. The MacKinnon lands consisted of Mull, Skye, Arran, Tiree, Perth, Ross.

* The First of the Grandsons and Great Grandsons (MacFhingon/MacFingon/MacKinnon) were given these grants of lands because they were of Royal Stock. Close enough to gain the throne back in that time.

Cuimhnich bas Alpin

Read more: MySpace

Last edited:
Instead of King Haakon IV it should read King Harald I Fairhair of Norway

Please make a note on Ancient Princess it should read (made a mistake putting down wrong King) King Harald I of Norway Fairhair and Asa as the mother of Princess Mary Haraldsdatter of Norway wife of Findanus MacFhingon/MacKinnon. I do apologize for the mistake. I will try to fix it on the particular sites. I am aware of the problem and was not thinking when I put this down. I am doing research on Princess Marys brother Haakon I so I put that down not thinking till I was alerted today. Thank You.

I am sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but....
I am afraid I am going to disappoint all you "want to be´s" with a piece of news that seems to have missed you.

THE BRITISH THRONE IS ALREADY OCCUPIED!

Yeah, but in the British succession, you can be on like 700th place to the thrown. Most of the people, who have a place in the British succession, will of course never be able to inherit the thrown (you pretty much have to be the child or the grandchild of a sovreign to have any chance at all), but there still is a very slim theoretical possibility. Many members of other royal houses have a place in the British succession as well.

unlike my avatar i have no claim to the british thone or any link with any of the european royal familys but i did a dna ancstry test for the first makers and it shows i have links dna wise with ashkenazi jewsish people romnys and macedonia pashtuns and a wee bit of han chinise thrown in so possibly i am related some old tribes out there which is nice :)

I do wish people would show how they can claim royal roots.

You'll find that if you have a connection with a titled ancestor, or a member of the landed gentry (especially in the UK), if you go back far enough, you'll eventually hit upon a connection to a royal line. For most people, unfortunately, they won't be able to trace the ancestors back far enough, for all sorts of reasons, but for those of us that are lucky to be able to follow our ancestries back far enough, they maybe fortunate to hit genealogical pay dirt, so to speak.

For example, anyone who can connect with the Tempest Family of Broughton in England (specifically with Roger Tempest and his wife, Ann Carr) will have direct royal connections. Anyone related to Sir Thomas Fairfax and his wife Ann Gascoigne will have royal connections. Anyone related to the Savile Family of Thornhill and Copley will have royal connections, the Verdun Family, the various Families Beaumont, the Percy Family (present Dukes of Northumberland), the Spencers, the Clare Family, the de Vere's, Sinclair, Howard etc etc etc. There are many links, you just have to be lucky to find one. Find more than one, and you're supremely bestowed, so to speak.

You maybe lucky to find one or more...it's just a matter of searching and finding the evidence. One of the things which daunts most people is they don't know where to start or where to look. But like anything else, it comes with time. No genealogy is easy....I know from experience.

Claim to throne maybe, but interesting family tree I have.

Interesting topic. I have been doing my family tree for quite a few years, but does take time getting facts and so forth. One thing I have learnt is that i'm a direct descendant of Holy Roman Emporer Charlamagne (Charles the great), 1st Earl of Chester until the Earldom was taken up as part of the Crown in early 1200's, and also that Egbert, King of Wessex from 802AD is also a distant grandfather. It is good to know the heritage of where you come from as finally helps to better understand you as an individual. Do I have claim to the throne, i'm not sure, nor concerned, but all I know is that the current monarchy are related, and some closer than they realise today, especially Ireland. Is just interesting to learn. There are many more noble title members in my tree, but obviously due to peerage law, ended up on the "other side of the family".

My Mother's side is Scots-Irish (Driven out of Scotland in the late 1500s, then in the late 1600s out of Ireland) and while I don't think there is any claim to thrones I can claim helping find the United States during both the late 1600 and 1700s. My Father's side is a bit more obscure.... I know I'm Russian-Dane but surnames were changed and my Grandmother refuses to talk about anything dealing with both hers and my Grandfather's family ancestry.... so who knows on that side!

Supposedly I can claim a relation to William the Conqueror but don't think I have anything to any of the earlier groups there so I'd be out. It's all theory, still working on the paperwork to back everything up.
As it is, I'm just a good ol' mutt also.
I can prove I'm a descendant of the Mayflower pilgrims, eligible to join various societies here such as Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Daughters of the Confederacy, and Colonial Dames but I don't have time to do any of their activities as it is.

I dont think fans of William the Conqueror do too well in the UK with any of the houses irrespective or the realm or commonwealth which in their view is more detrimental to you. Perhaps you should look at some history as well as paperwork.

descendent

I most certainly can't claim the English/British thrones as I am not the senior descendent, in accordance to the various acts of parliament, of the Electress Sophia of Hannover. That position is held by Elizabeth II.

I do have some noble ancestry but not in that league.

there are houses in every country that had control in realms, the only remaining realm is mainly based in UK though has family in other areas and they are the only houses that decide within their own realm

no more William the Conqueror who had no house trying to take control through war and the age of bellsworth is over for commonplace as opposed to commonwealth

there also an army to protect and serve any nation which the commonwealth is

Back
Top Bottom