The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Genealogy

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

When you say that they're your grandparents, I assume you mean that they're your however many times removed great-grandparents (that or you're among the legions of the undead). What's the line that you descend from?

Also, I don't know anything on the Esteps, but Google seems to have a lot of results. You might also want to check out ancestry.com.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 PM

I'm not the expert in my family. I do know that I'm directly descended from king john Who is my grandfather. And Eleanor of Aquitaine who by direct descent is my grandmother. And I'm not exactly sure but my aunt said were related to the Plantagenets. I don't have all the facts however.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well, a little background knowledge to help clarify some of your royal ancestry.

Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry II of England. Henry was the first king belonging to the royal house known now as the Plantagenets. They had a slew of children, but eventually their youngest son, John, came to the throne. The 800th anniversary of John's death is in a couple of years.

John had 5 legitimate children, of whom 4 had children themselves, from whom you could possibly descend. He also had at least 13 illegitimate children.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewCrew71 View Post
I'm not the expert in my family. I do know that I'm directly descended from king john Who is my grandfather. And Eleanor of Aquitaine who by direct descent is my grandmother. And I'm not exactly sure but my aunt said were related to the Plantagenets. I don't have all the facts however.
Yes you would be related to the Plantagenet's if you are a descendant of King John as he himself was a Plantagenet. His mother was Eleanor of Aquitaine and his father Henry II. John was the great-great-grandson of William the Conqueror - William to Henry I to Matilda to Henry II to John. That is the same degree of difference between Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II.

We know that there are a few million who claim descent from one of the early Edward's (III I think but it might be I) and John was an ancestor of both of them so there are probably even another million or so who can claim descent from John given his legitimate and illegitimate children and the numbers of legitimate and illegitimate children in future generations.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:20 AM
Nobility

Claim what? The Crown Jewels?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM

Not at all. I would just like to claim relations to the queen because I love British history and I think it would be an Honor just to say you're a part of that history by being related to the royal family.

I do appreciate all of the help. You all have been so kind! I love talking about this kind of subject and you all have helped clarify a lot!

So my other question is, assuming I'm a legitimate child and a direct descendant of king john. Would that make me a close relation to the queen or is there no point in claiming?
Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So my other question is, assuming I'm a legitimate child and a direct descendant of king john. Would that make me a close relation to the queen or is there no point in claiming?

John died almost 800 years ago. The Queen is his 25x-great-granddaughter (through one of her many lines of descent from him; she descends from 5 of his 18 children).

Mathematically speaking, they've shown that there are likely more living descendants of Edward III than the entire population of Britain. Edward was John's 2x-great-grandson. Furthering that line; mathematically speaking all people in Europe (except those who have recently immigrated to the continent) have a common ancestor living just 600 years ago. Further, every person of European ancestry is descended from 80% of Europeans living just 1000 years ago, while none of the other 20% of Europeans living 1000 years ago have any currently living descendants.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
You would be an extremely distant relative of The Queen's - nice to say but not worth contacting her and claiming any sort of relationship.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Thanks guys. If I get anymore information I will let you know more details
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 AM

I have been told my great grandmother sophia was a queen. I guess my great grandfathers name was fredrik, other great grandmother is anna, great great grandmother pauline. What is the best way for me to research this and prove it to be ? Ive never done something like this. Can someone help ?

Sent from my N800 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would start by tracing the line from your great grandmother to you, filling in the names, birth and death dates, and where they lived. Gathering that will help you determine what monarchies and what time period you should be looking at.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:03 AM
Serene Highness

Don't you know in which country they lived?
Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 AM

I'm a direct descendant of several UK and European Royal and Noble lines. The only problem is, is that I descend from an illegitimate child; Jane Beaufort, daughter of Cardinal Henry Beaufort.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Commoner

You know Skydragon, you say most of the claimants are from the US; you forget Canada, particularly Nova Scotia, Canada. I am an legitimate Cousin to Queen Elizabeth 2nd; that I can prove it is also what her ancestors did to my family during their time in power. I perhaps am the only claimant that could legally make a bid for Queen Elizabeth 2nd's throne and probably win in a legal bid, but the problem is She That Sits On The Throne Now Is The Person That Waves Away Claimants.

What can Queen Elizabeth say especially to me and my family???! "Sorry that my ancestors forced your ancestors to flee, we only gave you one choice, flee or be hung." William Brewster 3rd was Second Bailiff Of The Tower Of London and was asked to sign Mary Queen Of Scotts Death Warrent Of Execution as was the First Bailiff Of The Tower Of London. Many more of my ancestors had to make tough choices because of their loyality and duty to the Royal Family, I ask if I make a claim to the Current Throne Of Britain, would it be heard Fairly by the Queen Elizabeth 2nd? I seriously have to doubt that such a claim would be taken seriously....whom is going to Abdicate Queen Elizabeth and I would not even get a chance to rule because there are atleast 4 people in Seccession to The Throne Of England and the UK, while my ancestors blazed a trail helping the Royals, Commoner Cousins Of Royality count for nothing towards the Throne Of The UK....don't they?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Commoner

Illegitimate Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ110166 View Post
I'm a direct descendant of several UK and European Royal and Noble lines. The only problem is, is that I descend from an illegitimate child; Jane Beaufort, daughter of Cardinal Henry Beaufort.
TLJ110166, yes that is the problem most claimants face. In my case I have genealogy to back me up however at the present time there will be none cousins added to the Royal Family that I can foresee simply because the 4 Heirs to the current Throne Of Britain are directly related to Queen Elizabeth 2nd from previous marriages and I do not see any chance for anyone else no matter how directly they are related ever getting to sit on the throne.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Commoner

Hi Ish, I wonder if I would have a stronger claim than most people replying here? I can trace my family roots of Genealogy right though The MacFergusson Clan of 4 Step Clans, the O'Donellys, MacDarmaids, of course MacFergussons and MacBreheny's.

I can also trace my roots (I was a member of Ancestry.com untill I could not get anymore information on that website) through King William 1st The Great, you see some of my ancestors were Knights that he asked to come with him on his Conquest of Britain, there is a plaque on the wall of a specific church in France that records the names of the Norman Knights that went with King William The Great, 2 of my ancestors though they were from Britain at the time went and helped King William The Great, their names are recorded on that plaque and mentioned in British records in certain archives as well as the Domesday Books. Does this qualifly me to make a claim to Queen Elizabeth 2nds Throne? I also suspect Queen Elizabeth 2nd is also very much aware of my connections as being one of her legal cousins.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirericbreheny View Post
You know Skydragon, you say most of the claimants are from the US; you forget Canada, particularly Nova Scotia, Canada. I am an legitimate Cousin to Queen Elizabeth 2nd; that I can prove it is also what her ancestors did to my family during their time in power. I perhaps am the only claimant that could legally make a bid for Queen Elizabeth 2nd's throne and probably win in a legal bid, but the problem is She That Sits On The Throne Now Is The Person That Waves Away Claimants.

What can Queen Elizabeth say especially to me and my family???! "Sorry that my ancestors forced your ancestors to flee, we only gave you one choice, flee or be hung." William Brewster 3rd was Second Bailiff Of The Tower Of London and was asked to sign Mary Queen Of Scotts Death Warrent Of Execution as was the First Bailiff Of The Tower Of London. Many more of my ancestors had to make tough choices because of their loyality and duty to the Royal Family, I ask if I make a claim to the Current Throne Of Britain, would it be heard Fairly by the Queen Elizabeth 2nd? I seriously have to doubt that such a claim would be taken seriously....whom is going to Abdicate Queen Elizabeth and I would not even get a chance to rule because there are atleast 4 people in Seccession to The Throne Of England and the UK, while my ancestors blazed a trail helping the Royals, Commoner Cousins Of Royality count for nothing towards the Throne Of The UK....don't they?
While you have a very fascinating genealogy that reaches far back into the mists of time which I find quite interesting, it may help to remember also that it would not be up to HM to just say "ok.. you win. You're right and the throne is yours".

One thing that serves the line of succession is the Act of Settlement of 1701. It bestowed succession on the Electress Sophia of Hanover and her descendants. It is this alone that determines who is in line for the throne and where they stand in it. Unless you can prove that you are a direct descendant of the Electress Sophia, I think your chances of convincing the monarch and her parliament of your right to reign are rather slim.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Commoner

More Information

Quote:
Thanks guys. If I get anymore information I will let you know more details
Hi DrewCrew71. one of my ancestors was Humphrey With The Beard; that was the nickname he had and his last name was Bohun. It was he that went with King William The Great on his conquest of England way back when. Humphrey With The Beard had a couple of sons and my bloodlines follow along those lines. Even so I doubt strongly that those bloodlines can be taken seriously by Queen Elizabeth 2nd, as much as I could expect I might get an invitation to Buckingham Palace or Edenburgh Castle but that would be a limit to the invitations....if even that....which is very doubtful.

I would have to have our Canadian Government declare that my claim was legal, next with the information and a wad of cash I would have to have our own embassador go to the Royal Family and Queen Elizabeth 2nd and present her with the petition....of course after all Canadians had said they wanted me to sit on the throne instead of Queen Elizabeth 2nd; her own proffessional Historians would have to declare that my claim was legally official. Lastly Queen Elizabeth 2nd would have to willingly abdicate the Throne Of Britain and I seriously do not see that happening any time soon, Canada Royal Watchers love their QE2.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Commoner

I stand corrected Osipi, Skydragon knows what it would take and the 1701 Statute is in play even today. Unless that Statute were overturned there is no one, me or anyone else could make a legalized claim to the Throne Of Queen Elizabeth 2nd, yessss My genealogy does go into the mists of time as some see it as very interesting. I could claim The TriKingship Of Scotland perhaps but sadly it is part of the UK as is Ireland so my claim would be moot and mud. The TriKingship of Scotland Dalraida is long ago dead and buried as were the ambitions of the Scotish Peoples. I would add that King Robert The Bruce seen to that as King Of Scotland, historically if you have ever seen the movie "Braveheart" King Robert The Bruce made sure that while Scotland would be ruled by a king for a time, the Royal Family Ancestors made sure that Scotland and Ireland would remain a part of the UK for a very long time afterward when they conquested both Ireland and Scotland, "The Sad Tale ken to those that see tis The Royals with might and main leashed Scotland and Ireland to the Lions of Britain for woe and time cannot erase that conquest."
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Administrator

As has already been stated, succession to the Crown of Great Britain is determined by the Parliament, not by the Sovereign. Thus the Act of Settlement of 1701 states that the Crown will pass to the Electress Sophia of Hanover and the [Protestant] "heirs of her body". Elizabeth II is the undisputed senior heir of the Electress and is thus the rightful, lawful and constitutional Monarch of Great Britain and of those Commonwealth countries where she remains Head of State.

England may have "conquered" Scotland but it was Scotland's royal dynasty which took the English throne on the death of Elizabeth I.

By "King William the Great" I asume you are referring to William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and King of England. There has only been one "the Great" in English/British history, and that is Alfred, King of Wessex then King of All England, who reigned from 871 to 899.

« Exposing Imposters | - »