Worst Guest Outfit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Chick" is a derogatory term.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. "Chick" is nowhere near being derogatory in any shape, form or fashion. Chick is just like the word dudette -- it's slang and totally harmless. You may not want to be called a chick or you may not think it's appropriate to call a princess a chick, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. My sister calls me on the phone every day and when I answer she says "hey chick, what's up". Do you think I'd let my sister get away with calling me a derogatory word? Not likely.

But if you think that word is derogatory, I shudder to think what you'd say about REAL derogatory words used toward women. Words I know you know, but we can't say here. I think you're overreacting here just a tad.

I fully agree as I thought that a few days ago when looking again at Mabel. If she could have had a silk skirt and some flowing silk pants, with a short jacket, it could have been very pretty, instead of the awful dark men's tailored pants.

Hmmmm, maybe we should go into the designing business together:lol:

I'm going to have to disagree with you. "Chick" is nowhere near being derogatory in any shape, form or fashion. Chick is just like the word dudette -- it's slang and totally harmless. You may not want to be called a chick or you may not think it's appropriate to call a princess a chick, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. My sister calls me on the phone every day and when I answer she says "hey chick, what's up". Do you think I'd let my sister get away with calling me a derogatory word? Not likely.

But if you think that word is derogatory, I shudder to think what you'd say about REAL derogatory words used toward women. Words I know you know, but we can't say here. I think you're overreacting here just a tad.

Ditto:flowers:

I saw a picture of Elena from Corbis. The bolero jacket is a tad busy but the gown itself I find to be rather pretty....Laurentien looked a lot worse!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

totally agree, I believe Elena wasn't one of the worst dressed, I believe that she looked pretty except for the bolero. But Mabel took all the glory of worst dressed :bang:

Maybe we need to put this to a vote. Quite a few people have brought up Mabel at Victoria's wedding and Laurentien at Mary's wedding, so let's have at it. Of the two, who was dressed worst:

Laurentien 2004 aka "torpedo boobs"

Mabel 2010 aka "ballerina tutu in a blender with tuxedo pants"

:bang: OH FOR GOD SAKE! I could ever choose! what's wrong with them? If I were CP Maxima, or HM the Queen, or just a good friend, I will have a really serious talk to them about it:lol::ROFLMAO:

totally agree, I believe Elena wasn't one of the worst dressed, I believe that she looked pretty except for the bolero. But Mabel took all the glory of worst dressed :bang:

Actually I too found Princess Elena's dress quite beautiful. The bolero wasn't my taste either but I think she just wanted to pay tribute to her country which I found a very nice gesture.

mabel, mabel and mabel
did she brake a dress code? was it actully a dress?

Does anyone know who the designer was of Mabel's outfit? It looks like something from Comme des Garcons.

Does anyone know who the designer was of Mabel's outfit? It looks like something from Comme des Garcons.

I've read that the designers are Viktor & Rolf, the same that her wedding dress

Have Victor & Rolf created this ensemble? Sorry to say but than she should change the designer. At least she should stop wearing their creations on the royal parkett.

First, I didn´t like Mabel´s dress but I would like to say she has a beautiful figure and a lovely face and I can´t understand the headline "Dutch Fury" I would have been far more furious if I were Dutch at some of the getups that Laurentien wears, It was lucky in my opinion, that it was a Dutch designer that thought up that half and half dress.

Hi, Wisteria. I actually came back on this thread to post a comment and it looked to go with (although a different opinion :)) your post, so I quoted it here.

Regarding Mabel's dress - biggest problem is it was the wrong place. Totally unsuitable for a church wedding, especially a LOW-cut strapless dress with no cover-up, shawl, or wrap.

Which leads me to why I came to post here in the first place. Is it just me or has Mabel had some MAJOR breast augmentation? Looking at the pictures again, the really low-cut dress and gravity-defying boobs that are each bigger than her head lead me to believe she must have had some surgery.

As far as her face, I have never really thought she was very attractive, not ugly but less than average, especially with some of her makeup choices.

One area I do agree with you, Wisteria, is that Laurentien wears some really out-there outfits sometimes. But I have to say, SOOO many people were criticizing her for Victoria's wedding, lots of people repeating about "the big red bow thing" and overall just really trashing her. Looking back at her outfit, I realize that the red sash wasn't even tied in a bow (so I don't get what people complain about there), the red sash was coordinated to her red shoes and the red jewel in the tiara - which at least shows that was some thought put into her accesories, and the red was to break up the all black & white print of her outfit. In fact the only strange thing was the orange order - but even that was something that Constantijn did himself with an orange pocket square which did not match his light blue Swedish order, but no one said anything about that. For me Laurentien looked good and certainly wasn't among the worst there. I think the criticisms of her were more for her fashion track record than for her presentation at this wedding. But what do I know?

Its typical Mabel style. Im not suprised of her fashion choice to the wedding.
I thik she dresses that way to make fashion statements but arent working well IMO.

I think there is a general consensus that Mabel's dress was probably not appropriate for the occassion.

I do too! Or at least, I don't think it's the worst. The cut of the dress is nice, just maybe not for this royal wedding. I think the color tribute is a nice idea. The hat is the worst part to me, and even that is forgivable. As much as I love Laurentien, the dress at Mary's wedding is just not working for her and that is my number 1. Mabel is giving her a run for her money. I also very much disliked Infanta Elena's dress at Victoria's wedding.

Mabel's outfit on Saturday was far worse than her sister-in-law at Mary's wedding. The biggest problem with Mabel's get up: what is it? a dress, a suit or a ball gown? She doesn't even know. The other sister was tacky in an ugly dress, but at least it's a dress.

One thing is for certain though, they BOTH have terrible taste and dress themselves in the dark, there is no other explanation for it. You can be creative in your dress sense without looking like a clown.:eek::eek::eek:

I think that the way Laurentien dresses is rather endearing! Even Maxima, to some extent, has a personal style that is a little out there for my taste. There are some exceptions for Laurentien (namely, her dress at Mary's wedding and the neon blue/yellow combo), but generally I think she has a very fun style and that is refreshing! I haven't seen too many pictures of Mabel, but what I see, I do not like -- but nothing I've seen her in just screams unacceptable to me. Even her wedding dress....

The fabric of Laurentien's dress was not that great, which merely made the fact she went to the wedding sans-brassiere all the more appalling. A woman of her age who has had children should NEVER go anywhere without some kind of foundation garment on. Gravity and nature will take its course, making what might otherwise be not that big of a deal into a very big deal. It just look offensive, to be honest.
QUOTE]

Agreed, the problem was not the dress of Laurentien, it was just the lack of a bra.

I think there is a general consensus that Mabel's dress was probably not appropriate for the occassion.

I read somewhere (perhaps on this thread or another one), that the reason why Mabel wore the outfit that she did was because the skirt which was to be worn with it ripped. Not that I am justifying what Mabel was wearing, but this does seem like a highly plausable explanation although I wouldn't put it past Mabel to have come up with this creation (if you can call it that) herself.

Regarding Mabel's dress - biggest problem is it was the wrong place. Totally unsuitable for a church wedding, especially a LOW-cut strapless dress with no cover-up, shawl, or wrap.

Okay, now I have to totally bag on myself :lol:! After looking back at pictures from inside the cathedral, Mabel did have some sort of grey shawl/cover-up during the ceremony.

So, Mabel, I apologize to you and your big fake breasts.

So, Mabel, I apologize to you and your big fake breasts.

I don't know what you have against Mabel and I really doubt she has
"fake breasts" as your implying.

She was not the only bad dressed, Infanta Elena and Princess Astrid were looking terrible too.

I don't know what you have against Mabel and I really doubt she has
"fake breasts" as your implying.

She was not the only bad dressed, Infanta Elena and Princess Astrid were looking terrible too.

Hi, Mapleleaf134. I agree that Mabel was not the only poorly dressed guest. In addition to the two you named I believe there were even more.

As to her breasts, I have no defiinitive proof, I was not there when the surgery was performed, and I don't know Mabel...but those breasts were NOT the ones she brought into the marriage. Check the engagement and wedding pics of Mabel versus those from Victoria's wedding. Her breasts are significantly larger and sitting much higher on her chest in the inappropriate gown.

As to having anything against Mabel, I don't know her. I criticize behaviors and choices, not people. I'm sure she has some admirable qualities and has done some important work for others. But she also involved herself with a drug dealer/mafioso-type person in her past. She was not forthcoming about that when seeking parliament's permission to marry. There has been no response from her regarding the electronic trail which revealed that she had altered her bio on Wikipedia, ommiting the aforementioned incidents. She has progressively worn more outrageous outfits (like her sis-in-law), but where Laurentien comes off quirky or ill-advised, Mabel's choices show a desparate need for attention and an intentional effort to try and upstage others. This event is just one example. Other women have worn slacks at other royal weddings, but the dress code allowed for that and the occasion was either non-reigning royals, a casual day event, or specifically allowed for. At a formal white-tie state event, her choice rather than being bold, shows how insecure she is.

I don't have anything against her, I pity her. And I feel sorry for the family which has to deal with her.

That being said, I actually liked Infanta Elena's gown...sort of. And yes, Princess Astrid could have looked great with a longer dress, better posture (as always) and better placement of her tiara. Crown Princess Katharine of the former Yugoslavia and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg both looked ridiculous. And the absolute worst was the bride's aunt Princess Birgitta...walking roadkill.

Hi, Mapleleaf134. I agree that Mabel was not the only poorly dressed guest. In addition to the two you named I believe there were even more.

As to her breasts, I have no defiinitive proof, I was not there when the surgery was performed, and I don't know Mabel...but those breasts were NOT the ones she brought into the marriage. Check the engagement and wedding pics of Mabel versus those from Victoria's wedding. Her breasts are significantly larger and sitting much higher on her chest in the inappropriate gown.

As to having anything against Mabel, I don't know her. I criticize behaviors and choices, not people. I'm sure she has some admirable qualities and has done some important work for others. But she also involved herself with a drug dealer/mafioso-type person in her past. She was not forthcoming about that when seeking parliament's permission to marry. There has been no response from her regarding the electronic trail which revealed that she had altered her bio on Wikipedia, ommiting the aforementioned incidents. She has progressively worn more outrageous outfits (like her sis-in-law), but where Laurentien comes off quirky or ill-advised, Mabel's choices show a desparate need for attention and an intentional effort to try and upstage others. This event is just one example. Other women have worn slacks at other royal weddings, but the dress code allowed for that and the occasion was either non-reigning royals, a casual day event, or specifically allowed for. At a formal white-tie state event, her choice rather than being bold, shows how insecure she is.

I don't have anything against her, I pity her. And I feel sorry for the family which has to deal with her.

That being said, I actually liked Infanta Elena's gown...sort of. And yes, Princess Astrid could have looked great with a longer dress, better posture (as always) and better placement of her tiara. Crown Princess Katharine of the former Yugoslavia and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg both looked ridiculous. And the absolute worst was the bride's aunt Princess Birgitta...walking roadkill.

HRH Princess Mabel of the Netherlands has no fake breasts,she has the ones she has all her life.
And I thoroughly detest seeing Royals discussed as if they were Hollywood trash and will say
so when I see fit.A little more respect would do.You imply that,and again,and that can easily be
delt with as libel.You do not know HRH,nor any other Royal for that matter,at all,so it is best to
stay off of bashing.Wikipedia,indeed...that's for ,well,let's say the less informed if not worse...

Last edited:
In one of your posts I quoted below you referred to the "St. Di diehards". You are obviously a very big fan of the royal family from the Netherlands, as I am of the Swedes. But I usually recognize that other people have their own opinion and even if I disagree and sometimes choose to express my disagreement, it is only that...my opinion. I appreciate your posts and information but sometimes some people can become obsessive with their opinions, like the St. Di diehards, people who I have seen referred to as the COM's or Church of Mary, and in your case there is no name but you post about Mabel as if she is your sister or best friend. My concern is how you address others who criticize (i.e. have a different opinion/experience of these people) than you.

Your posts can range from hypercritical....:

Henri can say what he likes but unfortunately he often does so on Boards and Forums as a shove it in your face fact.That,however is only very seldom the case.He is missing out on this one again too,regardless of all explanations.
...to accusatory and libelous...:
What that oesi says,is an absolute lie.No need to ask her for proof or anything else,there isn´t any,at all,other then my word for the contrary...oesi just blurred herself into this forum with her first post.

...to threatening and pontentially violent:
It is a pure smear campaign by a paper and three fools,if anything had happened here in the same context,I would have gone
after them myself and not just dragged them to Court only.You bet.

On Sixtus....
If I was to meet him,I would still slap him in the face or rearrange his clockwork.That man is evil to the core.
I will never forgive him!!

Let he who is without sin:
And I thoroughly detest seeing Royals discussed as if they were Hollywood trash and will say
so when I see fit.A little more respect would do.You imply that,and again,and that can easily be
delt with as libel.

On Diana, Princess of Wales:
On Diana.She never was my next best thing instead of a pet she seems to be to many others.
Remembering the day of their engagement,I recall I thought;
"What is this suppose to be?" A "lightweight",unfit for her future role.

With the years,one saw her change,elevate from a schoolkid to a young woman,into a hysterical belated adolescent,a state
of mind she never got away from.A loose canon and flimsy superficial girl who acted while camera's buzzed,but other then that,
wasn't halve as special as the St.Di diehards would like you to believe.

I never lost that feel of "fake" watching her.

Those of you who were old enough at the time,will understand when I say "it chooked me up to watch the funeral".
And all that for a girl I never thought was fit for her role at all.She made an impact,even on me.

On Ari Behn:
Good riddens Ari.People like him really demand the limit in attention and energy,then to leave one wasted,and
more then anything else,M-L looks that,a prisoner of love for a nutcase.Nada mas.Poor woman.

On Prince Laurent of Belgium:
The Coburg's have one "of them" in every generation,but none comes close to Laurent when it's about annoying streaks.
The kid definitely has a mental issue,heaven knows how poor Clair puts up with that adult adolescent.I pitty her.

On David & Victoria Beckham:

Oh,OK,that's one diva less then...good riddens...He 's only pre-occupied with his next hairdo or plastic event as is she...

Vicky?She's a classless and senseless act,a total waste of life.She's lovely if broomsticks do it for you....If so,please fly away...

In dutch,she's a eng ding.

On Sixtus of Bourbon-Parma and the B-P family:
Sixtus is a frustrated two-legged creature,a closeted queen every inch,and lack of it.An affront to mankind and a gay fascist one at that indeed,yes...That man is evil to the core.

The B-P family,Xavier and Madeleine were impossible people,pretentious poor rats,nada mas.Old Xavier was trouble,Ok,he had been in a nazi concentration camp during the war,but his character was his and never changed...

On the people of Japan & also on Akishino & Kiko of Japan:
Meanwhile,the Japanese can say what they like,I say they behave like lame cattle by letting this situation continue and not rise against it.

Akeshino and that wife of his are the Kunaicho's darlings,no doubt,they even had the sex of their latest offspring planned by the Kunaicho,
and now are the proud parents of the Heir Presumptive after Naruhito,and they let that be known,always thought that couple to be arrogant/backward,and I am not blind in that department.

For someone who makes judgements about who I may or may not have encountered in my life, you provide no reason to believe the statements you make regarding royals and their character, personalities, likes and dislikes. Do you socialize with them? Vacation with them? Are you their doctor? Their best friend? I don't ask to question your truth. I think it is totally possible that you know these people and may be privy to the information you pass on. I also know that most people who are very good friends with the royals are unlikely to discuss them with others, let alone be a member of and participate in a forum such as this.

You do not know HRH,nor any other Royal for that matter,at all,so it is best to
stay off of bashing.

It´s not much of an effort for HM Queen Sofia,she actually does like HRH Princess Letizia.A lot.

The Princess is nor authoritive in the way you put it nor insists on being addressed as HRH.Absolute nonsense,Laurentien isn't like that at all,she's approacheble and friendly to all...proof or anything else,there isn´t any,at all,other then my word for the contrary,she is one of the most pleasant members of the RF as is her Husband Prince Constantijn.

HRH Princess Mabel of the Netherlands has no fake breasts,she has the ones she has all her life.

Wikipedia,indeed...that's for ,well,let's say the less informed if not worse...

I agree. Wikipedia, although widely used and cited, is an unreliable source. Part of this is because anyone can edit it, as Mabel was proven to have done when she removed the information about her past from the profile on her. And if the Wikipedia site is for the "less informed if not worse", what does that say about Mabel reading and "contributing" to it?

Old Xavier was trouble,Ok,he had been in a nazi concentration camp during the war,but his character was his and never changed...

Perhaps "her character is hers and never changed".

In one of your posts I quoted below you referred to the "St. Di diehards". You are obviously a very big fan of the royal family from the Netherlands, as I am of the Swedes. But I usually recognize that other people have their own opinion and even if I disagree and sometimes choose to express my disagreement, it is only that...my opinion. I appreciate your posts and information but sometimes some people can become obsessive with their opinions, like the St. Di diehards, people who I have seen referred to as the COM's or Church of Mary, and in your case there is no name but you post about Mabel as if she is your sister or best friend. My concern is how you address others who criticize (i.e. have a different opinion/experience of these people) than you.

Your posts can range from hypercritical....:

Henri can say what he likes but unfortunately he often does so on Boards and Forums as a shove it in your face fact.That,however is only very seldom the case.He is missing out on this one again too,regardless of all explanations.
...to accusatory and libelous...:

...to threatening and pontentially violent:

Let he who is without sin:

On Diana, Princess of Wales:

On Ari Behn:

On Prince Laurent of Belgium:

On David & Victoria Beckham:

On Sixtus of Bourbon-Parma and the B-P family:

On the people of Japan & also on Akishino & Kiko of Japan:

For someone who makes judgements about who I may or may not have encountered in my life, you provide no reason to believe the statements you make regarding royals and their character, personalities, likes and dislikes. Do you socialize with them? Vacation with them? Are you their doctor? Their best friend? I don't ask to question your truth. I think it is totally possible that you know these people and may be privy to the information you pass on. I also know that most people who are very good friends with the royals are unlikely to discuss them with others, let alone be a member of and participate in a forum such as this.

I agree. Wikipedia, although widely used and cited, is an unreliable source. Part of this is because anyone can edit it, as Mabel was proven to have done when she removed the information about her past from the profile on her. And if the Wikipedia site is for the "less informed if not worse", what does that say about Mabel reading and "contributing" to it?

Perhaps "her character is hers and never changed".

You really tried to make an effort didn't you?Yet it is a rambling post from A to Z,
if it wasn't for all of my own quotes which are correct from A to Z,you rascal you......COM's?Never heard of the term before,
LOL,suppose that tells all what I think on catwalk cats.But back on Mabel,you're obviously no fan of her yet I don't believe she
will sleep less for it,nor is it relevant in this thread.At all.I might have a penchant for some Royals but what I really have a
penchant for is the truth,whether or not that is favourable to others or not but it has to have the thruth in it.I strongly dislike
false accusations and ditto info,and I make my point on that.

The website 'Sartorial Splendor' made a top 10 of worst outfitts at a royal wedding

1 Laurentien at wedding Frederik & Mary
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1796/62281758.jpg

2 Mabel at wedding Victoria & Daniel
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3209/46286996.jpg

3 Anne at wedding Charles & Diana and Rose & George
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9558/37628398.jpg

4 Eva at wedding Haakon & Mette Marit
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4589/94938084.jpg

5 Märtha Louise at weeding Felipe & Letizia
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2388/74647855.jpg

6 Elena at wedding Victoria & Daniel
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3661/34164818.jpg

7 Mette Marit at wedding Willem-Alexander & Máxima
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6467/37022290.jpg

8 Laurentien at wedding Pieter-Christiaan & Anita
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/5830/80191684.jpg

9 Máxima at wedding Pieter-Christiaan & Anita
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4363/81607080.jpg

10 Beatrice at wedding Peter & Autumn
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/440/97338366.jpg

You really tried to make an effort didn't you?Yet it is a rambling post from A to Z...

Rambling? Guilty as charged. In fact as I was creating this post I myself said this is a bit of overkill and in my own mind used the word "rambling"..LOL. But I actually did so because I consider it a disservice to post any statement of fact or opinion without supporting material such as reference to first hand experience or research, hence the collection of your own postings. What I find most interesting about your post quoted in segments here is that none of it addresses any of the points in the rambling post nor refutes them. Criticizing my rambling style without addressing the points or suggestions makes for an empty post.

But back on Mabel,you're obviously no fan of her yet I don't believe she
will sleep less for it,nor is it relevant in this thread.

As stated previously, I don't know Mabel and have never met her (still waiting to hear what your relationship is with her). Can't judge her as a person. However, I have commented on her actions and how that reflects on her character. Of course she won't lose any sleep over my opinion (something I trust applies also to you) and that is how it should be. But I should suggest that the next time you are offended by postings discussing royals as if they are "Hollywood trash", perhaps you can pass on to Mabel and all of your other close royal friends that some of their behaviors illustrate the characteristics of "Hollywood trash".

I might have a penchant for some Royals but what I really have a
penchant for is the truth,whether or not that is favourable to others or not but it has to have the thruth in it.I strongly dislike
false accusations and ditto info,and I make my point on that.

Truth in the context of this forum requires more than just taking anyone's word for it, as you request all of us to do in regards to your experience of Mabel. Your post(s) demonstrate the same behavior of which you accuse Henri. And in osei's post, you response ignores the fact that osei may have a very different impression, maybe even an actual experience of Laurentien which lead to the criticism. If you actually are a close friend of Laurentien and she cared about how she was perceived, you could engage with osei to find out what created that impression and give feedback to you friend that would be valuable to her, rather than just blindly defending her because you have a favorable impression and worse, calling osei a liar without investigating those claims.

As to truth...each person has their own truth. My truth about Mabel has been stated previously - desperate for attention and recognition. My truth about the Dutch Royal Family is that HM many times looks like a clown in her outfits but never inappropriate - and that she seems to be a wonderful grandmother and mother-in-law in addition to fulfilling her role as monarch in an admirable, professional manner. I have always been a fan of the von Vollenhovens and of all the royals, including the Swedes, this family is the one that, if I could choose, would love to share a meal with. My truth about you, Lucien, is that during my research of your posts I found that we agree, sometimes even in the same threads, on MANY issues and that you have a great wealth of knowledge and experience of history that I appreciate being shared here in this forum. That being said, I hope we both can continue to contribute, whether expressing similar or opposing viewpoints throughout these forums.

The website 'Sartorial Splendor' made a top 10 of worst outfitts at a royal wedding

I strongly disagree for Eva Sannum!!!! She was splendid, divine!

I strongly disagree about Elena, the dress was beautiful!
Also Maxima and Beatrice had interesting (in a positive way) outfits.
Among all those horrors, btw, Mabel's controversial outfit in Sweden looks not so bad.
It's the first time I saw the 2 outfits of Laurentien and they are such disasters. An appropriate 1 place, the other should be 2!
Eva's problem, IMO, are the gloves of that colour..

Elena's dress was alright, but her bolero jacket wasn't. Now Mabel and Laurentien's fashion sense is terrible. They really need fashion advisers or something IMO. And I didn't liked Maria Theresa's of Luxembourg dress and tiara for the wedding.

Back
Top Bottom