The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Nobility

Thank ou for a link IloveCP. I agree with you. Mabel should have been number one. Princess Laurentien looks at her outfits like clown, not like royal family memeber.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hands down, it's Mabel for me! ughh..............

Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Mrs Roberta Cavalli at the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco. Her husband is a noted designer but her pant suit and large floppy hat were absolutely godawful fugly.
She should either divorce him for making the outfit for her or else start spending his money at Armani.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Courtier

Cavalli's wife is apparently his muse and partner so she probably loved that get up. It is a tie between Mabel and Mrs Cavalli.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For me, it is a close tie between Princess Mabel's and Princess Laurentien's gowns (or whatever they are supposed to be).
Eva Sannum's gown wasn't bad as such, just entirely inappropirate for a wedding of the future King of Norway: it was too revealing, too trashy, too out of place.
Princess Maxima's ensemble wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't all the same colour. As for the hat, let's just say Philip Treacy would be proud of it.
I actually like Princess Beatrice's outfit. The dress itself is lovely, the jacket - very nice. As for the hat, I initially hated it, but it sort of works for me now.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Mrs Roberta Cavalli at the wedding of Prince Albert of Monaco. Her husband is a noted designer but her pant suit and large floppy hat were absolutely godawful fugly.
She should either divorce him for making the outfit for her or else start spending his money at Armani.
Coming back to Prince ALbert wedding I think that Ines de la Fressange deserves to be criticizied- she wore sandals, a straw hat and dress more suitable for picnic that for a wedding of reigning prince.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
For me, it is a close tie between Princess Mabel's and Princess Laurentien's gowns (or whatever they are supposed to be).
Eva Sannum's gown wasn't bad as such, just entirely inappropirate for a wedding of the future King of Norway: it was too revealing, too trashy, too out of place.
Princess Maxima's ensemble wouldn't have been that bad if it weren't all the same colour. As for the hat, let's just say Philip Treacy would be proud of it.
I actually like Princess Beatrice's outfit. The dress itself is lovely, the jacket - very nice. As for the hat, I initially hated it, but it sort of works for me now.
Princess Mabel's confuses me. Laurentian needs a bra, badly, otherwise it is fine. Eva's gown is lovely, what is your problem with it? Maxima's hat is atrocious, but at so many weddings there are these monstrosities. Princess Beatrice looks like a cereal box threw her up. She has no taste and it shows, at almost every event she attends.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Eva's gown is lovely, what is your problem with it?
I wouldn't have minded Eva's gown for most occasions, but she wore it for the wedding of Crown Prince Haakon and Mette-Marit.
Too much cleavage is bad enough, but the back view is arguably even worse.

Not a dress to wear for a royal wedding. Especially if you are hoping that next one will be yours.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is, really, nothing special about a "royal wedding". Just people getting married and guests in all sorts of clothing. The myth of "royalty" is gone, they are just people.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
There is, really, nothing special about a "royal wedding". Just people getting married and guests in all sorts of clothing. The myth of "royalty" is gone, they are just people.
OK, to bring it down to the commoner level, if you were going to a boyfriends family wedding and meeting many members of his conservative family for the first time would you think wearing a gown that put the goods on such prominent display the best tactic if you were hoping to get him to marry you and hoping to have his family accept you? Probably not if you had any sense of style and occassion. You might also have taken into consideration that this wedding of "just people" was going to be televised and heavily photographed.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

There are several for me, but the two that come immediately to mind are that horrifying and inexplicable red and yellow outfit worn by Princess Martha Louise at the wedding of Felipe and Letizia.

And then there was that skimpy little blue cocktail dress that Marie-Christine of Austria wore to her cousin Guillaume's wedding in a Cathedral over the weekend...what on Earth was she thinking??
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I just can't wrap my mind about Mabel's outfit and what makes it more laughable is the tiara topping that incongruous hodgepodge of styles. Sorry, no way could a tiara improve on that mess.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
And then there was that skimpy little blue cocktail dress that Marie-Christine of Austria wore to her cousin Guillaume's wedding in a Cathedral over the weekend...what on Earth was she thinking??
Marie-Christine of Austria

Mabel's is still no. 1 for me, but this one is indeed pretty bad; in itself maybe not such a bad dress, but it seems a bit too small (even smaller than intended) and definitely completely out of place at a church wedding :-)

That said, i think Princess Carolines outfit at the Luxembourg churchwedding was pretty bad too...made her look so old...

on the right..
Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Courtier

Marie Christine's dress was totally inappropriate for most weddings, especially one in a Cathedral. Mabel's outfit at Victoria's wedding was just down right ugly.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
There are several for me, but the two that come immediately to mind are that horrifying and inexplicable red and yellow outfit worn by Princess Martha Louise at the wedding of Felipe and Letizia.

Hello, Moonmaiden23. I noticed that "little blue cocktail dress on Marie-Christine. It looked awful. I really thought she was trying to get attention. Just my impression.
I now have four on my list of worst dressed: No. 1 is definitely Mabel's pants/curtain outfit; No. 2 poor Laurentian in need of a bra; No. 3 is Marthe-Louise at Letizia's wedding and now No. 4 is Marie-Christine on Saturday. That cocktail dress didn't look comfortable at all and wouldn't she be a little chilly as well?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
OK, to bring it down to the commoner level, if you were going to a boyfriends family wedding and meeting many members of his conservative family for the first time would you think wearing a gown that put the goods on such prominent display the best tactic if you were hoping to get him to marry you and hoping to have his family accept you? Probably not if you had any sense of style and occassion. You might also have taken into consideration that this wedding of "just people" was going to be televised and heavily photographed.
I agree - I am not a member of the upper class, I come from a family of Italian immigrants, but at a wedding I believe it is respectful to be properly dressed, if only not to steal any attention away from the bride and groom, the 2 most important people at a wedding!!! Dress appropriately no matter what "type" of wedding it is.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I wouldn't have minded Eva's gown for most occasions, but she wore it for the wedding of Crown Prince Haakon and Mette-Marit.
Too much cleavage is bad enough, but the back view is arguably even worse.

Not a dress to wear for a royal wedding. Especially if you are hoping that next one will be yours.
In the words of one of my pre-K students, 'Holy Toledo, Ohio !' That is one awful and trashy dress. Why anyone would wear it to a wedding, never mind a royal one is beyond me.

Quote:
In complete agreement. Weddings shouldn't bee seen as chances to flaunt what you have, but joyous occasions to celebrate the bride and groom, as well as their love for one another. By coming to that type of celebration in a revealing dress is downright disrespectful.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Surely this deserves a top 10 spot too (or at least an 'honorable mention' :-) )
2011 wedding of prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia
Orsini sisters at the church wedding
Old 11-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z
Surely this deserves a top 10 spot too (or at least an 'honorable mention' :-) )
2011 wedding of prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia
Orsini sisters at the church wedding
The shoes are the main problem here IMO. So definitely top 10. :-)
Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
The shoes are the main problem here IMO. So definitely top 10. :-)
Yes, the otfits themselves are not that bad...if it had been a folk-music-festival or something...but not at a traditional church wedding..

Tags
fashion, pre-wedding events, royal weddings