The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
"Chick" is a derogatory term.
I'm going to have to disagree with you. "Chick" is nowhere near being derogatory in any shape, form or fashion. Chick is just like the word dudette -- it's slang and totally harmless. You may not want to be called a chick or you may not think it's appropriate to call a princess a chick, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. My sister calls me on the phone every day and when I answer she says "hey chick, what's up". Do you think I'd let my sister get away with calling me a derogatory word? Not likely.

But if you think that word is derogatory, I shudder to think what you'd say about REAL derogatory words used toward women. Words I know you know, but we can't say here. I think you're overreacting here just a tad.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I fully agree as I thought that a few days ago when looking again at Mabel. If she could have had a silk skirt and some flowing silk pants, with a short jacket, it could have been very pretty, instead of the awful dark men's tailored pants.
Hmmmm, maybe we should go into the designing business together

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Here's thumbnail of Elena's gown from a Corbis link

http://media1.corbisimages.com/Corbi...2-25449048.jpg
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you. "Chick" is nowhere near being derogatory in any shape, form or fashion. Chick is just like the word dudette -- it's slang and totally harmless. You may not want to be called a chick or you may not think it's appropriate to call a princess a chick, and that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. My sister calls me on the phone every day and when I answer she says "hey chick, what's up". Do you think I'd let my sister get away with calling me a derogatory word? Not likely.

But if you think that word is derogatory, I shudder to think what you'd say about REAL derogatory words used toward women. Words I know you know, but we can't say here. I think you're overreacting here just a tad.
Ditto
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
I saw a picture of Elena from Corbis. The bolero jacket is a tad busy but the gown itself I find to be rather pretty....Laurentien looked a lot worse!!!

totally agree, I believe Elena wasn't one of the worst dressed, I believe that she looked pretty except for the bolero. But Mabel took all the glory of worst dressed
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Maybe we need to put this to a vote. Quite a few people have brought up Mabel at Victoria's wedding and Laurentien at Mary's wedding, so let's have at it. Of the two, who was dressed worst:

Laurentien 2004 aka "torpedo boobs"

Mabel 2010 aka "ballerina tutu in a blender with tuxedo pants"

OH FOR GOD SAKE! I could ever choose! what's wrong with them? If I were CP Maxima, or HM the Queen, or just a good friend, I will have a really serious talk to them about it
Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by abril View Post
totally agree, I believe Elena wasn't one of the worst dressed, I believe that she looked pretty except for the bolero. But Mabel took all the glory of worst dressed
Actually I too found Princess Elena's dress quite beautiful. The bolero wasn't my taste either but I think she just wanted to pay tribute to her country which I found a very nice gesture.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Majesty

mabel, mabel and mabel
did she brake a dress code? was it actully a dress?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Mable, without a doubt!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone know who the designer was of Mabel's outfit? It looks like something from Comme des Garcons.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Does anyone know who the designer was of Mabel's outfit? It looks like something from Comme des Garcons.
I've read that the designers are Viktor & Rolf, the same that her wedding dress
Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Courtier

Have Victor & Rolf created this ensemble? Sorry to say but than she should change the designer. At least she should stop wearing their creations on the royal parkett.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
First, I didn´t like Mabel´s dress but I would like to say she has a beautiful figure and a lovely face and I can´t understand the headline "Dutch Fury" I would have been far more furious if I were Dutch at some of the getups that Laurentien wears, It was lucky in my opinion, that it was a Dutch designer that thought up that half and half dress.
Hi, Wisteria. I actually came back on this thread to post a comment and it looked to go with (although a different opinion ) your post, so I quoted it here.

Regarding Mabel's dress - biggest problem is it was the wrong place. Totally unsuitable for a church wedding, especially a LOW-cut strapless dress with no cover-up, shawl, or wrap.

Which leads me to why I came to post here in the first place. Is it just me or has Mabel had some MAJOR breast augmentation? Looking at the pictures again, the really low-cut dress and gravity-defying boobs that are each bigger than her head lead me to believe she must have had some surgery.

As far as her face, I have never really thought she was very attractive, not ugly but less than average, especially with some of her makeup choices.

One area I do agree with you, Wisteria, is that Laurentien wears some really out-there outfits sometimes. But I have to say, SOOO many people were criticizing her for Victoria's wedding, lots of people repeating about "the big red bow thing" and overall just really trashing her. Looking back at her outfit, I realize that the red sash wasn't even tied in a bow (so I don't get what people complain about there), the red sash was coordinated to her red shoes and the red jewel in the tiara - which at least shows that was some thought put into her accesories, and the red was to break up the all black & white print of her outfit. In fact the only strange thing was the orange order - but even that was something that Constantijn did himself with an orange pocket square which did not match his light blue Swedish order, but no one said anything about that. For me Laurentien looked good and certainly wasn't among the worst there. I think the criticisms of her were more for her fashion track record than for her presentation at this wedding. But what do I know?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Its typical Mabel style. Im not suprised of her fashion choice to the wedding.
I thik she dresses that way to make fashion statements but arent working well IMO.
I think there is a general consensus that Mabel's dress was probably not appropriate for the occassion.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfc149 View Post
I do too! Or at least, I don't think it's the worst. The cut of the dress is nice, just maybe not for this royal wedding. I think the color tribute is a nice idea. The hat is the worst part to me, and even that is forgivable. As much as I love Laurentien, the dress at Mary's wedding is just not working for her and that is my number 1. Mabel is giving her a run for her money. I also very much disliked Infanta Elena's dress at Victoria's wedding.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
Mabel's outfit on Saturday was far worse than her sister-in-law at Mary's wedding. The biggest problem with Mabel's get up: what is it? a dress, a suit or a ball gown? She doesn't even know. The other sister was tacky in an ugly dress, but at least it's a dress.

One thing is for certain though, they BOTH have terrible taste and dress themselves in the dark, there is no other explanation for it. You can be creative in your dress sense without looking like a clown.
I think that the way Laurentien dresses is rather endearing! Even Maxima, to some extent, has a personal style that is a little out there for my taste. There are some exceptions for Laurentien (namely, her dress at Mary's wedding and the neon blue/yellow combo), but generally I think she has a very fun style and that is refreshing! I haven't seen too many pictures of Mabel, but what I see, I do not like -- but nothing I've seen her in just screams unacceptable to me. Even her wedding dress....
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Sister Morphine;1100522]The fabric of Laurentien's dress was not that great, which merely made the fact she went to the wedding sans-brassiere all the more appalling. A woman of her age who has had children should NEVER go anywhere without some kind of foundation garment on. Gravity and nature will take its course, making what might otherwise be not that big of a deal into a very big deal. It just look offensive, to be honest.
QUOTE]

Agreed, the problem was not the dress of Laurentien, it was just the lack of a bra.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think there is a general consensus that Mabel's dress was probably not appropriate for the occassion.
I read somewhere (perhaps on this thread or another one), that the reason why Mabel wore the outfit that she did was because the skirt which was to be worn with it ripped. Not that I am justifying what Mabel was wearing, but this does seem like a highly plausable explanation although I wouldn't put it past Mabel to have come up with this creation (if you can call it that) herself.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Regarding Mabel's dress - biggest problem is it was the wrong place. Totally unsuitable for a church wedding, especially a LOW-cut strapless dress with no cover-up, shawl, or wrap.
Okay, now I have to totally bag on myself ! After looking back at pictures from inside the cathedral, Mabel did have some sort of grey shawl/cover-up during the ceremony.

So, Mabel, I apologize to you and your big fake breasts.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post

So, Mabel, I apologize to you and your big fake breasts.
Very droll!

Tags
fashion, pre-wedding events, royal weddings