The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
There are, imho, worse things one can do than wearing a not appropriate outfit at a wedding. It is not the polite thing to do but not the worst either.
Remember the fist fight between the Italian cousins at Prince Felipe's wedding? I am sure they were both decked in their finery and wore all their medals and honours.
Mable always proves herself to be "out of the box" and I am sure all those around her have figured that one by now.
Very true there are worse things, no argument there.

I'm all for creativity! Although, in her case, I'm curious that she would marry into such restrictive and rigid tradition.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
Very true there are worse things, no argument there.

I'm all for creativity! Although, in her case, I'm curious that she would marry into such restrictive and rigid tradition.
I am not too sure the Court of the House of Orange is very restrictive. All of the newcomers have unique personalities and are outgoing and seem to act more or less as they please.
Each one seems to have been allowed to develop their own interests and style. Each of them has been criticised for outfits worn at formal outings. (some more than ohers...LOL)

Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Some outfits here are just ugly, but Mabel was ugly and very not appropriate, especially for such an important wedding.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Courtier

The worst outfit? That's a no-brainer ... Mabel!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
There are, imho, worse things one can do than wearing a not appropriate outfit at a wedding. It is not the polite thing to do but not the worst either.
Remember the fist fight between the Italian cousins at Prince Felipe's wedding? I am sure they were both decked in their finery and wore all their medals and honours.
Mable always proves herself to be "out of the box" and I am sure all those around her have figured that one by now.
Hi, Odette. Thanks for the response. I agree there are worse things than the wrong outfit. I actually kind of like the outfit itself, and on her, just not for this occasion. And your comment here is exactly my point. Mabel's behavior is the issue. She selectively chooses when to be avant garde and out of the box. It was not physical, but this outfit is the equivalent to a slap in the face. If this was at the concert the night before, I would have still criticised it, of course, but I would have thought it was appropriate in an "avant-garde, out-of-the-box, Mabel" kind of way. Mabel is not a stupid woman. She has both common sense, professional sense, and has been exposed to a number of royal events of different degrees of formality. She should know better and I think that Beatrix is not the mother-in-law or monarch I have previously given her credit for by not addressing the issue. Sure, Beatrix looks like a clown half the time and the other half looks like she took drapes or a shower curtain and made a dress, but even those ugly dresses are appropriate to the occasion.
So, again, IMO Mabel did get into a "fashion or lack of" fist-fight. Her choice was deliberate. Even though I like the outfit for another occasion, Mabel lacks class.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I am not too sure the Court of the House of Orange is very restrictive. All of the newcomers have unique personalities and are outgoing and seem to act more or less as they please.
Each one seems to have been allowed to develop their own interests and style. Each of them has been criticised for outfits worn at formal outings. (some more than ohers...LOL)
It's true they are not like the Imperial House of Japan, but they are still an old traditional institution. You can be a bit bohemian, but you still have do so within the perimeter of the rules of the institution. I think Queen Margrethe and Martha-Louise are good examples of that.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
It's true they are not like the Imperial House of Japan, but they are still an old traditional institution. You can be a bit bohemian, but you still have do so within the perimeter of the rules of the institution. I think Queen Margrethe and Martha-Louise are good examples of that.
Thanks, Chimene, for the examples. Martha-Louise actually showed a LOT of restraint this week. But I had forgotten that Margrethe II, while always very regal and appropriate, is actually more bohemian in personality. She knows when to express that and when not to amp up the regalness.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:50 PM
Courtier

I definitely think there are worse things to do than wear an inappropriate outfit at a wedding...and I don't judge people for their fashion faux pas the way some people seem to...but this may be one of the only times I come out and say that an outfit reflects badly on someone's character: Princess Mabel's outfit. It's not like it fit badly or was the wrong colour, because not everyone has an eye for fashion...but I find it actually inappropriate, more so than a mistake someone could make without having fashion sense. It's like she was trying to make a statement and draw attention to herself rather than the bride.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Talking

Hands down the worst outfits ever were worn by Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel. The Prince didn't look too hot either, bless his heart.

I got this shot of them at the reception from Getty Pictures..
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/102...0D15081278D25D
Old 06-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
A poll! We need a worst dress poll! Quick, somebody start one!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
Holy Maccaroni, I just couldn't picture these two together!!! Many congrats to the photographer - such a courageous act!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Courtier

^LOL, I can't stop laughing. What's with the giant red bow... holy macaroni (with lots of cheese) is right.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I know, inconceivable and unpicturable (if that could be a word)... The night of the living dead.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
Holy Maccaroni, I just couldn't picture these two together!!! Many congrats to the photographer - such a courageous act!!!
Photographers are brave people, dear Noor - remember that some of them say as long as they're looking through the lenses they are able to bear the worst situations.

I can't decide between Mabel and Laurentien really, but as I watched them sauntering over the carpet, my eyes hurt a tad more when I saw Laurentien. The red bow, together with a orange sash, that pattern and those red shoes...
Old 06-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant View Post
Hands down the worst outfits ever were worn by Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel. The Prince didn't look too hot either, bless his heart.

Talk about a "what not to wear" study in contrast.

I mean this sincerely; what is wrong with them? Are they physically incapable of going anywhere without wearing something embarrassing? It's like the two of them discuss beforehand who is wearing what, and place bets on who gets on the Worst Dressed lists more.

It's sad.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why is this a thread??
We all know who the worst dressed was.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Talk about a "what not to wear" study in contrast.

I mean this sincerely; what is wrong with them? Are they physically incapable of going anywhere without wearing something embarrassing? It's like the two of them discuss beforehand who is wearing what, and place bets on who gets on the Worst Dressed lists more.

It's sad.
Will someone please get Princess Laurentien a personal dresser?
Everytime I see a photo of her, her outfits defy definition, description, and most of all, fashion sense. She's a royal for heaven's sakes! Shouldn't somebody be dressing her? She obviously does not have fashion sense on her own and she needs help real bad!!!!! She's very attractive and there's no need for her to consistently look this way!

By the way, never allow Laurentien and Mabel to be photographed together...
Old 06-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Perhaps you can recall Mabel's wedding gown with approximately 248 (count em') bows. I christened her on that day as Our Lady of the Bows. I couldn't decide it the gown was unique or just plain unattractive. I'll say this much, it was different!

Here's the photo from Getty Pictures.....
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/346...B92627FF734EA1
Old 06-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Ahem...IMO, Her Majesty Queen Beatrix made me fall off my chair. That needs to be filed in the what the *&#$ was I thinking section of her closet.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe we need to put this to a vote. Quite a few people have brought up Mabel at Victoria's wedding and Laurentien at Mary's wedding, so let's have at it. Of the two, who was dressed worst:

Laurentien 2004 aka "torpedo boobs"

Mabel 2010 aka "ballerina tutu in a blender with tuxedo pants"

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "

Tags
fashion, pre-wedding events, royal weddings