Worst Guest Outfit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are, imho, worse things one can do than wearing a not appropriate outfit at a wedding. It is not the polite thing to do but not the worst either.
Remember the fist fight between the Italian cousins at Prince Felipe's wedding? I am sure they were both decked in their finery and wore all their medals and honours.
Mable always proves herself to be "out of the box" and I am sure all those around her have figured that one by now.
Very true there are worse things, no argument there.:flowers:

I'm all for creativity! Although, in her case, I'm curious that she would marry into such restrictive and rigid tradition.

Very true there are worse things, no argument there.:flowers:

I'm all for creativity! Although, in her case, I'm curious that she would marry into such restrictive and rigid tradition.

I am not too sure the Court of the House of Orange is very restrictive. All of the newcomers have unique personalities and are outgoing and seem to act more or less as they please.
Each one seems to have been allowed to develop their own interests and style. Each of them has been criticised for outfits worn at formal outings. (some more than ohers...LOL)

Some outfits here are just ugly, but Mabel was ugly and very not appropriate, especially for such an important wedding.

There are, imho, worse things one can do than wearing a not appropriate outfit at a wedding. It is not the polite thing to do but not the worst either.
Remember the fist fight between the Italian cousins at Prince Felipe's wedding? I am sure they were both decked in their finery and wore all their medals and honours.
Mable always proves herself to be "out of the box" and I am sure all those around her have figured that one by now.

Hi, Odette. Thanks for the response. I agree there are worse things than the wrong outfit. I actually kind of like the outfit itself, and on her, just not for this occasion. And your comment here is exactly my point. Mabel's behavior is the issue. She selectively chooses when to be avant garde and out of the box. It was not physical, but this outfit is the equivalent to a slap in the face. If this was at the concert the night before, I would have still criticised it, of course, but I would have thought it was appropriate in an "avant-garde, out-of-the-box, Mabel" kind of way. Mabel is not a stupid woman. She has both common sense, professional sense, and has been exposed to a number of royal events of different degrees of formality. She should know better and I think that Beatrix is not the mother-in-law or monarch I have previously given her credit for by not addressing the issue. Sure, Beatrix looks like a clown half the time and the other half looks like she took drapes or a shower curtain and made a dress, but even those ugly dresses are appropriate to the occasion.
So, again, IMO Mabel did get into a "fashion or lack of" fist-fight. Her choice was deliberate. Even though I like the outfit for another occasion, Mabel lacks class.

I am not too sure the Court of the House of Orange is very restrictive. All of the newcomers have unique personalities and are outgoing and seem to act more or less as they please.
Each one seems to have been allowed to develop their own interests and style. Each of them has been criticised for outfits worn at formal outings. (some more than ohers...LOL)
It's true they are not like the Imperial House of Japan, but they are still an old traditional institution. You can be a bit bohemian, but you still have do so within the perimeter of the rules of the institution. I think Queen Margrethe and Martha-Louise are good examples of that.

It's true they are not like the Imperial House of Japan, but they are still an old traditional institution. You can be a bit bohemian, but you still have do so within the perimeter of the rules of the institution. I think Queen Margrethe and Martha-Louise are good examples of that.

Thanks, Chimene, for the examples. Martha-Louise actually showed a LOT of restraint this week. But I had forgotten that Margrethe II, while always very regal and appropriate, is actually more bohemian in personality. She knows when to express that and when not to amp up the regalness.

I definitely think there are worse things to do than wear an inappropriate outfit at a wedding...and I don't judge people for their fashion faux pas the way some people seem to...but this may be one of the only times I come out and say that an outfit reflects badly on someone's character: Princess Mabel's outfit. It's not like it fit badly or was the wrong colour, because not everyone has an eye for fashion...but I find it actually inappropriate, more so than a mistake someone could make without having fashion sense. It's like she was trying to make a statement and draw attention to herself rather than the bride.

^LOL, I can't stop laughing. What's with the giant red bow... holy macaroni (with lots of cheese) is right.:ROFLMAO:

I know, inconceivable and unpicturable (if that could be a word)... The night of the living dead. :vampire:

Holy Maccaroni, I just couldn't picture these two together!!! :eek: Many congrats to the photographer - such a courageous act!!! :lol:

Photographers are brave people, dear Noor - remember that some of them say as long as they're looking through the lenses they are able to bear the worst situations. ;)

I can't decide between Mabel and Laurentien really, but as I watched them sauntering over the carpet, my eyes hurt a tad more when I saw Laurentien. The red bow, together with a orange sash, that pattern and those red shoes... :nonono:

Hands down the worst outfits ever were worn by Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel. The Prince didn't look too hot either, bless his heart. :ROFLMAO:

I got this shot of them at the reception from Getty Pictures..
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/10...E57723CC88E0A6B7AD844B011C7DF1F0D15081278D25D

Talk about a "what not to wear" study in contrast.

I mean this sincerely; what is wrong with them? Are they physically incapable of going anywhere without wearing something embarrassing? It's like the two of them discuss beforehand who is wearing what, and place bets on who gets on the Worst Dressed lists more.

It's sad.

Why is this a thread??
We all know who the worst dressed was.

Talk about a "what not to wear" study in contrast.

I mean this sincerely; what is wrong with them? Are they physically incapable of going anywhere without wearing something embarrassing? It's like the two of them discuss beforehand who is wearing what, and place bets on who gets on the Worst Dressed lists more.

It's sad.

Will someone please get Princess Laurentien a personal dresser?:lol:
Everytime I see a photo of her, her outfits defy definition, description, and most of all, fashion sense.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: She's a royal for heaven's sakes! Shouldn't somebody be dressing her? She obviously does not have fashion sense on her own and she needs help real bad!!!!!:lol: She's very attractive and there's no need for her to consistently look this way!

By the way, never allow Laurentien and Mabel to be photographed together...

Last edited:
Ahem...IMO, Her Majesty Queen Beatrix made me fall off my chair. That needs to be filed in the what the *&#$ was I thinking section of her closet. :confused:

Laurentien is the worst-dressed here. Saggy boobs are just wrong! Mabel is just showing bad taste: pants, low cut, bare shoulders for a white-tie church wedding. It's a nice outfit, just inappropriate for the event.What is it about these Dutch royal daughters-in-law?! Did Maxima get the only decent stylist in the country? Or do they enjoy flaunting their bad taste or upsetting the establishment?

Laurentien is the worst-dressed here. Saggy boobs are just wrong! Mabel is just showing bad taste: pants, low cut, bare shoulders for a white-tie church wedding. It's a nice outfit, just inappropriate for the event.What is it about these Dutch royal daughters-in-law?! Did Maxima get the only decent stylist in the country? Or do they enjoy flaunting their bad taste or upsetting the establishment?
AUGGHHHH!!!!! Did she forget a bra or what?!?!:bang:

I beg to differ...saggy boobs can easily be fixed. A crappy attitude tends to linger...and fester. I have feeling Mabel's lack of class is only going to get worse as she progressively chooses more provocative and less appropriate presentations.

Mabel was the worst dressed at any wedding so far. Laurentien needed a bra but the gown was o.k. Mabel could have chosen to be different by wearing a gown or heck if she wanted pants a tuxedo.

Mabel looked like she ran away from the latest Sex and the City movie.

Mabel looked like she ran out of her hotel only half dressed, maybe she forgot the bottom of her outfit?? :eek:
Maybe her dresser forgot to pack it?:ROFLMAO:
This was one of the most important Royal wedding in quite some time, what was she thinking????? :bang::bang: She looked awful, IMHO

Mabel's outfit on Saturday was far worse than her sister-in-law at Mary's wedding. The biggest problem with Mabel's get up: what is it? a dress, a suit or a ball gown? She doesn't even know. The other sister was tacky in an ugly dress, but at least it's a dress.

One thing is for certain though, they BOTH have terrible taste and dress themselves in the dark, there is no other explanation for it. You can be creative in your dress sense without looking like a clown.:eek::eek::eek:

Besides the boob thing Laurentien didn't look all that bad.
Mabel is by far still the worst dressed at a royal wedding. Hands down.

Crown Princess, you are a dear, but Laurentien did look that bad. I'll say this, she made a poor choice in apparel. She last time she really look well dressed was on her wedding day. It's been downhill ever since...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Besides the boob thing Laurentien didn't look all that bad.
Mabel is by far still the worst dressed at a royal wedding. Hands down.

The fabric of Laurentien's dress was not that great, which merely made the fact she went to the wedding sans-brassiere all the more appalling. A woman of her age who has had children should NEVER go anywhere without some kind of foundation garment on. Gravity and nature will take its course, making what might otherwise be not that big of a deal into a very big deal. It just look offensive, to be honest.

Mabel just doesn't care, I don't think. She probably figures she's got it made, and that she can show up wearing whatever and people will talk about her.

Back
Top Bottom