Which Royals Make The Best In-Laws?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cinquefoil

Commoner
City
palos hills
Country
United States
Which royals do you think are the "best" in-laws, or should I say the less-meddlesome, have the best personality, would be easy to get along with? In-laws are in a class of their own anyway~ the good ones are great but the bad ones:bang:, but can you imagine having royalty as an inlaw?

Both the King & Queen of Spain seem like they would be good in-laws to have, so does Queen Silvia seem to be fairly easy going. Queen Margrethe...maybe, but I get a twinge that she may be a bit bossy at times...what do you think?:D

I think there's a thread covering this topic. But it seems Queen Beatrix is a gracious in-law. Giving all her sons and their wives privacy while opening the family vaults to all of princesses especially Maxima.

Queen Sofia seems supportive of all her children's spouses and seems to dote on all of her grandchildren.

Queen Sonja also appears to accept her children's spouses and dote on her grandchildren.

The kings and queen of Belgium, Sweden, England & Denmark are question marks for me. I don't get the impression that Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik are that involved or interested in the lives of their children, spouses or grandchildren. They have their own love affair

Also whether someone is a "good" in-law in completely subject to what the person marrying into the family perceives. Some people want that "family" feeling of closeness while others prefer a hands-off approach. Princess Charlotte of Monaco apparently really disliked Princess Grace and never warmed to her at all.

Last edited:
Ooops, I didn't know there was a thread of this already.:flowers:
So much good info on here that it takes a while to navigate.
But yes, I agree too that some people want that "family" feeling while others like (and need) a hands-off approach. I guess it just depends on what your own comfort level is.:cool:

IMO --> best- in-laws (mothers-in-law) :
1. Queen Beatrix (Netherlands)
2. Queen Sofia (Spain)
3. Queen Sonja (Norway)
4. Queen Margaret (Denmark)
5. Queen Elizabeth II (UK) and Queen Paola (Belgium)

Also whether someone is a "good" in-law in completely subject to what the person marrying into the family perceives. Some people want that "family" feeling of closeness while others prefer a hands-off approach.

Agreed. None of the royals appear to be the in-laws from hell, but I think whether they're in-laws you would want depends on your own personality. For example, I want a mother-in-law who's like a 2nd mom and whom I can have a close relationship with, so I would pick maybe Sofia or Beatrix. However, other women prefer hands-off in-laws who are cordial but otherwise leave them alone. For this sort of person, a mother-in-law like Sofia is a nightmare, and they would be much happier with the distant-seeming Elizabeth.

Yes, I agree again, it all depends on your own comfort level.....unfortunately my hubby's mom is deceased, so I'll never have that experience. but I'm sure if I HAD to choose, I'd definitely go with a MIL who gave me a bit of space....:whistling:

Queens Sofia,Sonja and Beatrix seem to be warm in-laws.

1. Queen Beatrix (Netherlands)
2. Queen Sonja (Norway)
4. Queen Margarethe (Denmark)
5. Queen Paola (Belgium)

Hereditary Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duchess Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg

I don't think there are any in-laws from hell between the royals. I think that Beatrix of Netherlands and Harald & Sonja of Norway might be the best among the royals.

I recall seeing the Queen helping Mette-Marit with her train and veil on her wedding day. It really warmed my heart that she would do that, especially considering that MM couldn't have been the ideal fantasy daughter in law. Not MM personally, but the problems with her past and such; it was nice to see the queen doing something so small as helping her with her dress.

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark (Mary Donaldson). She fits to be the daughter-in-law of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik. She is a loving wife and plus, she is very charitable and kind-hearted, especially to children! :D

Best Father-in-law
King Harald V of Norway
King Juan Carlos I of Sapain

I'm going to go with my best instinct of a reply to this question. Which royals make the best in-laws? Dead ones of course. :whistling:

How would we know? Most royals never show personal feelings (except between married couple, occasionally).

I find this is animpossible question. I know this is a discussion forum but hopefully others have more imagination that me! :flowers:

I think Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands always appears friendly and close to her daughters in law. Ditto the Scandi royals. The Swedes share their jewellery/tiaras, the Danes gather in their country home together, Queen Sonja seems close to Mette Marit.

I think the Danes they seemed to really look out for Mary when she came along. But who knows what people are like really.

I vote for Queen Sonja and King Harald. The way they accepted an outcast like Mette Marit, in any of their interactions or photos you couldn’t tell Marius wasn’t their grandchild.
Hands down the Norwegians

I'm going to go with my best instinct of a reply to this question. Which royals make the best in-laws? Dead ones of course. :whistling:

Perhaps a little harsh but problaby true. Being an in law is never an easy relationship and in a lot of families it is fraugtht with tension. but Royal families can't just "keep a polite distance" from their daughters In law who annoy them or sons in law who they disapprove of.

Back
Top Bottom