Which Royal Wedding Have You Watched on TV?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I read:
Felipe's and Letizia's wedding was the most watched one!
2 100 000 000 people saw it in TV.

Charles and Diana's Wedding was was watched by 750 000 000 people.

Wow, 2.100 000 000 people? :ohmy:
That's an impressive reasult! I guess it was broadcasted in all Spanish/Portuguese-speaking countries, and some internetional channels too (I remember a life, albeit brief, broadcast by Euronews). :rolleyes:
All I can say is, I was one of those 2.100.000.000 people. :D

Wow, 2.100 000 000 people? :ohmy:
That's an impressive reasult! I guess it was broadcasted in all Spanish/Portuguese-speaking countries, and some internetional channels too (I remember a life, albeit brief, broadcast by Euronews). :rolleyes:
All I can say is, I was one of those 2.100.000.000 people. :D

I watched it, too, with my family. Germany broadcasts all royal weddings. :D

probably the next wedding that would draw in huge viewing figures across the world will be William (and Kate)

I think Crown Princess Victoria's! (It will probably be huge)
I think William will wait a few more years.

Spanish and British royal weddings would draw the most TV audiences because of the number of former colonies each had worldwide. A royal wedding of any Scandinivian country would not be comparable because their small population and few audiences outside of their own country. Victoria will have to marry an American movie star to get an audience of any size. Fred's wedding was probably watched by 25 millions even if everyone in Denmark and Australia tuned in.

Well, no, i agree it will probably not be send in the US, they are mostly only interested in the British royalty.
But it will be send in Scandinavia, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, France and a bunch of other European countries.
So it will draw more visitors then, let's say Marie and Joachim's wedding.
Royal weddings are something even people watch that normally don't care for royalty.

Technology and Culture and Royal Wedding Viewership

Grace Kelly married in the 50s. In the early 60s, the old American Telephone and Telegraph Company hired the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to put a spherical object into orbit that was girdled with antennae. It was called Telstar and it flew in a highly elliptical orbit.

Telstar was rapidly joined by the first modern communications satellite, Syncom, that orbited once a day just like most communications satellites do today. Diana's wedding was watched in real time by a huge number of people linked by geosynchronous satellites.

But culture is also a factor. Letizia's wedding was broadcast in the USA on Univision, a Hispanic network. The Anglo media paid no attention. But there are many millions from the Rio Bravo to Cape Horn who are Hispanic, plus Europeans. Television sets probably made more inroads everywhere too between Diana's wedding and Letizia's. The difference between Diana's and Letizia's audiences can be accounted for by there being more Hispanics than Anglos and more television sets everywhere.

I don't think the Swedish Crown Princess' wedding will get much attention outside of Europe, satellites or no. Sweden did not establish a far flung Swedish-speaking commonwealth. The UK wedding will be followed, with help from satellites, in Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand as well as the USA.

Most Americans do not know who Mary Donaldson Glucksberg or Letizia Ortiz Borbon are, so it is hard for an American to guess at audiences for a royal wedding. But I predict that if Victoria marries at the time of some unpleasantness like OJ Simpson's or Scott Peterson's trials, her wedding will hardly be noted in the USA. The US media spent minutes on Peterson's trial and just thirty seconds on North Korea the day North Korea announced they had nuclear weapons.

I think it is the Charles and Diana wedding. Grace was popular but not many people had a tv at that time.
I think The spanish wedding and the danish are also popular. Maybe they are second and third.

Wow! 2.1 billion people watched Letizia's wedding?! That is huge. I always thought that it was Charles and Diana's wedding that attracted the most viewers, but I was wrong. I wonder how many people will watch William's wedding when he marries? I wonder if the number will be more than the number for his parents?

Yeah, I totally believe that Letizia's wedding was the most watched royal wedding. All South America was interested and here in Europe, all the Portuguese people I know didn't lost a piece of it :D

Well, It has to be C&D beyond all doubt. But I will add here that I have never seen a royal wedding (although I did see Charles and Camilla's blessing) as there really isnt anywhere near enough demand here in NZ. Which has frustrated me no end.

Most "Watched" "Wedding"

The marital perturbations of Charles and Di and Di's later antics made their marriage the most "watched" "marriage" in history even if more people watched the wedding of Letizia and Felipe!;)

Last edited:
I remember watching the weddings of Felipe & Letizia, Fred & Mary, and of course Charles and Diana. However, I'm certain I didn't see W-A and Maxima's.

I was not aware that Letizia and Felipe held the distinction of having the most watched wedding. Wow!

According to this blog, Charles and Diana's wedding was the most watched ever : over 17 million viewers.

But if you look at wikipedia's record here, it went to 28.40 million viewers. (as you can see, her funeral attracted more people ...)

In my personal opinion, I believe that the most watched Royal Wedding is Princess Diana´s. Because British Royalty is known in the world. On the other hand, I don´t agree 2.1 billion people watched letizia and felipe wedding, for example in United States don´t know about spanish royals. There, is popular Princess Diana, her sons: William and Harry; maybe Caroline, Albert and Stephanie of Monaco.

MARTHA, I am from the USA and watched the entire wedding of Letizia & Felipe along with almost everyone else that I know here. We, also watched Diana & Charles but since it was rerun on cable the following Saturday, most of us went to work the actual day. Never even saw a blip about Maxima and Alexander's wedding on the news. Since over 13% of the population of America are now Spanish speaking, Felipe's wedding was quite a draw on the TV.

I do not speak the Spanish language, but some of the cable stations did have sub titles.

Winnie, yes I know that in United States have a lot of spanish population. However, 13 percent is about 18 million more less, If you suposse that all people watched letizia and felipe wedding.

Martha, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I meant that since there is a fair sized Spanish speaking population in the USA, the wedding of Letizia & Felipe was shown on TV and it enabled all of the millions in America to watch. It was available to us. There are very few Dutch so I guess that Willem & Maxima's wasn't a priority. I doubt we would ever get to see Victoria (when she marries) either.

I remember watchng 5 minutes of the Letizia's wedding on one of the spanish channels here in New York. I think t was Telemundo.

But Charles and Diana's wedding is one of the most memorable weddings of the late 20th century.

... I doubt we would ever get to see Victoria (when she marries) either.

You're right and what a shame. If you ask most Americans to name a ruling queen, you will of course get Elizabeth II. Ask most of us to name a future ruling queen...no impact, no idea.:bang:

Time Zones

I remember watchng 5 minutes of the Letizia's wedding on one of the spanish channels here in New York. I think t was Telemundo.

But Charles and Diana's wedding is one of the most memorable weddings of the late 20th century.

I saw it on Telemundo around midnight or in the wee hours of the morning. Fatigue set in and I had to stop watching.

Martha, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I meant that since there is a fair sized Spanish speaking population in the USA, the wedding of Letizia & Felipe was shown on TV and it enabled all of the millions in America to watch. It was available to us. There are very few Dutch so I guess that Willem & Maxima's wasn't a priority. I doubt we would ever get to see Victoria (when she marries) either.

The biggest audience for Felipe and Letizia's wedding wasn't in the US, even though it's broadcast in the US. It's in South and Central America where affinity to Spain is still running high. I don't know about the 2.1 billion number though. But considering there are more TV sets in 2004 than 1980, the Spanish wedding could have a bigger audience than Charles and Diana's wedding.

I have important reasons to think Princess´Diana is the most watched wedding in the world. Because British royalty is famous in the world no only in english speaking countries, in everywhere.

I read that audience for letizia and felipe´s wedding was low in Spain. I think internet has changed the life, in the past was difficult to know about the real situation, now is different.

I knew Felipe and Letizia's wedding would be a big draw but I had never realised the figures were so high.

1. Prince Charles and Lady Diana
2. Crown Prince Frederick and Mary Donaldson

What Will Be the most Watched Royal Wedding of Our Time?

Prince William & Kate Middleton
Prince Harry & Chelsy Davy
Peter Phillips & Autumn Kelly
Crown Princess Victoria & Daniel Westling
Prince Carl Philip & Emma Pernald

...and any others you guys can think of.

(Ps. This is JUST FOR FUN so don't take it too seriously!)

Once again I think that will be British - WillKat. (Boring);)

I watched, too, Charles and Diana wedding, and so did everyone I know. And she did not disappoint anyone. She was truly a fairy tale princess. The whole world fell in love. :wub:

for me harry and chelsy, victioria and deniel,and albert when he is ready as for
william and kate i will sleep through it or take a long vacation:lol: i dont think people are that into in fairly tales as before correct me if i am wrong?:nonono::yoda:

Back
Top Bottom