The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Commoner

Juan Carlos of Spain looked a bit under the weather on his wedding day. He had broken his collarbone a few weeks before and had to remove his sling a bit earlier than planned due to the wedding. The poor guy was in a good amount of pain the whole time.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

I liked Daniel because he did not wear a uniform. I suppose most grooms are members of their own armed forces, but I prefer to think of them in their non-military role. For instance, Guillaume looks better in normal clothes than in that uniform he wore at his wedding, especially the sword he seems to have added to it outside the cathedral afterwards...possibly someone handed it to him there...at least he did not wear the sword into the cathedral. I like the way Guillaume looks almost all other times.
I didn't think William's red uniform was especially bad. I would have preferred him, too, in non-military dress, however.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Royal Highness

Hmm, now I do like this question alot, but I think it should be answered based on the groom's outfit, rather than whether the groom himself is attactive/dashing etc lol!

Accordingly, I think that Prince Albert of Monaco did not look good in the uniform he wore for his wedding. He has quite a...shall we say...robust physique, and white and cream is not such a flattering colour to wear - Prince Harry looks great in his white uniform because he is very tall and slim.

I was not keen on Prince Joachim of Denmark's uniform nor Prince Philippe's uniform on their wedding days.

The problem for the men on their wedding day is that, even with a uniform, you look like you would on any other day of the year, except you have a bride on one arm! A button-hole would help but they're not normally worn with uniform.

BTW, I think that Prince Philip looked the most dashing on his wedding day, followed by all the rest who look remarkably similar.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
With William, I wasn't too impressed with his red uniform until the day of the wedding. Then I realize that the red really stood out and in the midst of everything in Westminster Abbey, your eyes were instantly drawn to William.

I thought Daniel made quite a handsome figure in his tuxedo. I think he was really quite nervous too. We have to remember he wasn't born into all the pomp and pageantry that surrounds the royals. The touching moments were when they showed Victoria gently finger massaging Daniel's hand as if to reassure him that all is well.

I think, along with quite a few here, that Albert could have done much better wardrobe wise. First thing I thought of when I saw him was "Geesh.. this guy looks like an ice cream man". I think a darker color would also have made him look thinner.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

^ Albert should have gone on a diet or bought himself a corset!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I hated William's Irish Guard uniform...he looked like a cheesy Disney prince. Albert's summer white Love Boat captain outfit was very unimpressive as well, especially considering how stunningly gorgeous his bride was.

CP Pavlos's suit looked rather baggy. It was wearing him, same way his bride's gown was wearing her imo.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I hated William's Irish Guard uniform...he looked like a cheesy Disney prince. Albert's summer white Love Boat captain outfit was very unimpressive as well, especially considering how stunningly gorgeous his bride was.

CP Pavlos's suit looked rather baggy. It was wearing him, same way his bride's gown was wearing her imo.
I'm disappointed that you think the formal uniform of a member of HMQ's Guards regiment is "cheesy". At home we thin of them as reminders of those who have served this country for many years and have given their lives.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I'm disappointed that you think the formal uniform of a member of HMQ's Guards regiment is "cheesy". At home we thin of them as reminders of those who have served this country for many years and have given their lives.
While I wouldn't say his uniform was cheesy, I do agree it had a certain Disney Prince quality to it in that context.

I think William looked good, but I would have preferred that he wear his RAF uniform. I think he probably would have preferred that too- more him, and representing the branch he served in.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
You are right, it's a poor choice of words.And I meant no disrespect to HMQ's Guards or indeed to anyone who serves his/her country in uniform.

But sorry...I dislike the uniform, and I did not find it at all flattering to William.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
You are right, it's a poor choice of words.And I meant no disrespect to HMQ's Guards or indeed to anyone who serves his/her country in uniform.

But sorry...I dislike the uniform, and I did not find it at all flattering to William.
thank you.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

To me, I just felt like William's uniform didn't come across as authentic. I can't explain WHY or justify it as anything other than my own opinion, but I would have just much preferred to see him represent a branch of the military he'd worked for, rather than just his honorary appointment. I can understand wearing your honorary uniform if you're not active duty in another branch, but as he was serving in the RAF, I just think that would have been so much nicer, even if the uniform itself is a bit duller.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. In all fairness the Irish Guards uniform wasn't his first choice to wear, reportedly the Queen herself wanted him to wear it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
To me, I just felt like William's uniform didn't come across as authentic. I can't explain WHY or justify it as anything other than my own opinion, but I would have just much preferred to see him represent a branch of the military he'd worked for, rather than just his honorary appointment. I can understand wearing your honorary uniform if you're not active duty in another branch, but as he was serving in the RAF, I just think that would have been so much nicer, even if the uniform itself is a bit duller.
I understand what you are saying but the uniform he wore represented the highest rank he holds as honorary colonel of the Irish Guards. He was an actual member of the Blues and Royals but Harry was going to wear that as that is the only regiment he serves in. An RAF uniform - mm? don't really know cos he was only on secondment to the RAF at the time.

It is the ceremonial dress uniform worn by the Guards regiment and is worn by William at Trooping the Colour. It may look "story book" but that is because toy soldiers etc copied the real deal.

genuine uniforms - however "Story book" they may appear, deserve our respect, including Albert's white uniform and the Greek national dress as worn by soldiers on parade.

Google Image Result for http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6177/800pxevzonesmarchingaw4.jpg

Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

Harry and William could have both worn the same uniform (the Blues and Royals I believe you call it, Cepe). No one could have mixed them up, with Harry's red hair. It would have looked good to see them in the same colors, I think. But it's true that William stood out in that red uniform. I didn't react negatively to it. As I said, I prefer non-uniform dress for weddings, but I think that William looked relatively fine at his wedding. It was overall a beautiful event except for the hats and miniskirts of some of the clownish guests.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry looked better than William that day. He looked like a true military hero stepped out of a book or film.
Did William look cheesy? IDK perhaps that is the word to describe it.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Commoner

I don't think anyone could match Prince Philip on his wedding day. He was definitely very good looking in his younger days and became handsome as he aged. The only other one is Harry, imho.

Tags
bridegroom, royal weddings