The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 7,092
Where are royal dresses stored and kept?

I would like to know where the royal wedding dresses get “stored” after royal weddings. Who keeps them? Logic tells me that they are guarded by the royal brides themselves, but they also become “historic pieces”, and not just private memorabilia, so I wonder where they get stored most of the time. Aside from any exhibitions they may get lent to every now and again, who keeps them? The brides? A museum? Or are they kept in royal archives? Maybe they are just in their homes' closets and are kept in good condition by the royal aides and the royals' personal assistants and senior dressers?
__________________

__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,370
The British Royal Household has a large number of experts that specializes in managing and caring for the Royal collection. There are probably people that take care of the historical wardrobe including the wedding gowns. I can't image that Kate's gown is hanging in the back of closet at KP. Clothing wore by royals is a popular display at the Summer BP opening. They had the coronation outfits on display in 2013 for the 60th anniversary. I imagine they are somewhere in Windsor Castle.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The British Royal Household has a large number of experts that specializes in managing and caring for the Royal collection. There are probably people that take care of the historical wardrobe including the wedding gowns. I can't image that Kate's gown is hanging in the back of closet at KP. Clothing wore by royals is a popular display at the Summer BP opening. They had the coronation outfits on display in 2013 for the 60th anniversary. I imagine they are somewhere in Windsor Castle.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I would expect other royal houses have the same kind of solution to their wardrobes. Queen Silvia's Nobel dresses were recently on display and must have been carefully curated, as well as Princess Lilian's current exhibit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
There was a special on this subject years ago {I believe in the 1990s} on Queen Elizabeth II's vast rooms located in Buckingham Palace which are cooled to certain temperature 24/7. All her outfits are stored divided into formal, day, evening, etc. She has women who make sure the proper outfits that she has approved for the occasion be sent up the day before ready for her. She even knows what jewelry she will be wearing. They has since computerized all outfits with pictures so it makes it quite easy for her to decide. I am sure most of the current queens and CPs have the same type of arrangement. I will try to locate this special program and maybe someone who is really computer savvy will be able to tell us how to watch again.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,370
Does the vast room have the outfits that the Queen doesn't wear any more? There is 60 years of outfits, most aren't going to be worn by the Queen now. She isn't going to pull a Princess Anne and bust out a dress from 1983 for a current engagement. It would be a hassle enough to deal with the current outfits and an accessories.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Does the vast room have the outfits that the Queen doesn't wear any more? There is 60 years of outfits, most aren't going to be worn by the Queen now. She isn't going to pull a Princess Anne and bust out a dress from 1983 for a current engagement. It would be a hassle enough to deal with the current outfits and an accessories.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Actually that was mentioned on the special. Quite a lot of her outfits [never official royal clothes like wedding, etc.] have been reworked to modernize and new hats made to match. Apparently the queen is quite frugal and insists that if material still in good shape, it will be reused. Anything that can't will be taken apart or if a personal favorite, saved for a future exhibition. Complete outfit are never taken to "charity" shops. I certainly can understand this.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Actually that was mentioned on the special. Quite a lot of her outfits [never official royal clothes like wedding, etc.] have been reworked to modernize and new hats made to match. Apparently the queen is quite frugal and insists that if material still in good shape, it will be reused. Anything that can't will be taken apart or if a personal favorite, saved for a future exhibition. Complete outfit are never taken to "charity" shops. I certainly can understand this.
H.M grew up during the war. Make do and mend is etched indeliblely on some members of that generations mind. Personally I applaud herself and Princess Anne for this trait.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,370
In 2009, for the BP summer opening which celebrated the 60th anniversary of the commonwealth, they picked 26 dresses out of the wardrobe archive that the Queen wore to visits to Commonwealth countries including millinery and jewelry

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...zabeth-II.html

So there is a room somewhere with the old outfits.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,948
In the Netherlands almost everything which is worth to be stored is in depôt in the Royal House Archives. It is a private archive in a corner of the back garden of Noordeinde Palace and in principle only accessible for the royal family. (See picture). Not so long ago two large floors were added down under the basement making it a gigantic private archive. The bulk of the House Archive contains valuables owned by the royal family. So now and then there are exhibitions, so that the royal family and friends can enjoy ever changing pieces of their large collection. See one of the exhibition rooms in this picture. You can see some dresses displayed in a glass vitrine at the left.

So now an then there are expositions, and then surprisingly beautiful ancient dresses pop up, like on this exhibition on dresses worn at the Court in The Hague (picture) and picture.

Royal dresses are also re-worn. This dress was created by the Swiss couturier Erwin Dolder for Queen Juliana who wore it in 1948. Her daughter Princess Margriet wore the same dress in 1984((picture)). A few years ago there was an exhibition on 10 years Queen Máxima and in Het Loo Palace there was an exhibition with eyechatching dresses she has worn dring that decade

Sometimes thick books are published and then you see so many dresses, for an example worn by Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962) in splendid colour, so must be a depôt somewhere with dresses, coats, robes, hats, riding-costumes, baby-clothes, whatever once worn by this Queen. For an example the book In Royal Array, Queen Wilhelmina (picture).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 645
Thanks for sharing Skippydoo...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: illinois, United States
Posts: 109
What happened to all the Queen Mother's dresses?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,223
^^ Most of the QM's outfits would be still in storage, I guess, and ready for exhibition.

The Netherlands royal family seems to be especially thrifty and I am not surprised that there are large storerooms/exhibition rooms for their clothing. I've seen photos of Beatrix wearing in a green patterned dress for the photo-op with Prince Klaus, her new fiancé, which appeared on her daughter in law Mabel decades later when Mabel attended a wedding. There was also a long sleeved soft green evening gown of Beatrix's which reppeared, dyed in a new zingy green gown worn by Maxima. It had a be-feathered hem.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
In 2009, for the BP summer opening which celebrated the 60th anniversary of the commonwealth, they picked 26 dresses out of the wardrobe archive that the Queen wore to visits to Commonwealth countries including millinery and jewelry

The Royal Wardrobe: Fashion fit for Queen Elizabeth II - Telegraph

So there is a room somewhere with the old outfits.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
If my old memory serves correct, over 20 rooms are devoted to royal clothes. These are not small walk-in closets, but large rooms filled with clothes. Mainly the queens but also P. Philip. Queen mother's wardrobe was not mentioned.
__________________
Forgiveness is the fragrance the violet shed on the heel that crushed it - Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2015, 05:29 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 7,092
Thanks to everyone for the information, really interesting to find out about the storage rooms!

from my research online, i came across a blog that said that mary's wedding gown for example is stored somewhere on Amalienborg Castle in a special silk cover. i tried checking for other dresses, but found nothing unfortunately.

on the other hand, i can recognise in this picture posted before amalia's crib, which we saw in her official birth pictures :)
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-21-2015, 11:59 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,677
Wonder what software they use for the wardrobe, if they really use one to choose from the computer what they will use for certain event? it is a really cool concept!
I know Mary has a huge room in Amalienborg palace where her lady prepeare everything there. but I never saw photos. About Queen Margrethe it was one photo about her dressing room, just a huge room with some hungers, nothing special. But would be nice to see. Also I would love to see Queen Maxima when she goes to the vaults and choose which tiara to use! she is the one with moretiaras! must be a seen to see all them together!
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-21-2015, 12:06 PM
eya eya is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Wonder what software they use for the wardrobe, if they really use one to choose from the computer what they will use for certain event? it is a really cool concept!
I know Mary has a huge room in Amalienborg palace where her lady prepeare everything there. but I never saw photos. About Queen Margrethe it was one photo about her dressing room, just a huge room with some hungers, nothing special. But would be nice to see. Also I would love to see Queen Maxima when she goes to the vaults and choose which tiara to use! she is the one with moretiaras! must be a seen to see all them together!
Oh my God. If I go in the vaults and see all the tiaras and jewelry especially maxima's would not stop screaming.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
Wonder what software they use for the wardrobe, if they really use one to choose from the computer what they will use for certain event? it is a really cool concept!
I know Mary has a huge room in Amalienborg palace where her lady prepeare everything there. but I never saw photos. About Queen Margrethe it was one photo about her dressing room, just a huge room with some hungers, nothing special. But would be nice to see. Also I would love to see Queen Maxima when she goes to the vaults and choose which tiara to use! she is the one with moretiaras! must be a seen to see all them together!
In most palaces there are so called Silver Chambers where all gold-, silver- and crystalware but also porcelain and other valuables are carefully stored in protected surroundings. On this picture you see an example of such a Silver Chamber, this one is in Lange Voorhout Palace in The Hague, which now houses a museum. When I have to think about diadems and jewels, then I assume that these are stored in cassettes placed in safes in one of these Silver Chambers.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 195
This is an interesting discussion. I don't think I've ever really thought about where the clothes are kept. I do remember reading that Queen Elizabeth re-works her gowns and day clothes, and that's a great thing. She always looks amazing and her clothes look new. The Princess Royal, on the other hand, just seems to wear her old things just the way they were without making any changes to update them which makes her look dowdy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-23-2015, 07:41 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslewis View Post
This is an interesting discussion. I don't think I've ever really thought about where the clothes are kept. I do remember reading that Queen Elizabeth re-works her gowns and day clothes, and that's a great thing. She always looks amazing and her clothes look new. The Princess Royal, on the other hand, just seems to wear her old things just the way they were without making any changes to update them which makes her look dowdy.
Careful, now. Anne is a fashion patron saint for many of us who are making do. Trust me, Anne's taste is such that she could completely scrap her wardrobe, buy all new and not look less dowdy. It's who she is. A female version of the POW. And less money spent on clothes means more money spent on horses. Always a good thing.
__________________
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...bob_dylan.html
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Careful, now. Anne is a fashion patron saint for many of us who are making do. Trust me, Anne's taste is such that she could completely scrap her wardrobe, buy all new and not look less dowdy. It's who she is. A female version of the POW. And less money spent on clothes means more money spent on horses. Always a good thing.
I agree that Anne's interests are mostly in horses and not clothes. So, yeah, I guess she would balk at spending a few thousands on a gown when that money could be better spent as a down payment on a new horse.

However, the Prince of Wales is a great dresser. His Savile Row suits never go out of style. I think Charles is the best dressed member of the Royal family.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Royal brides and wedding dresses didem Royal Weddings General Discussion 1155 10-18-2016 02:38 PM
Back Views of Royal Ladies Suits and Dresses: March 2005 - November 2008 micas Archives 89 11-10-2008 12:08 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 belgian state visit to japan best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style christening of prince alexander coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll fashion suggestions grand duke jean greece jubilee kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises