The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

What royal wedding gown would you wear?

If you had the chance,what royal wedding gown would you wear?Also wedding tiaras,any tiara you want.

I personally would want to wear Infanta Cristinas Gown.With the Russian Kokoshnik tiara.

Anyone want to follow on?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Grace Kelly's, no doubt about that!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Serene Highness

Amen! Even if she looked so depressed on the day, the dress it's timeless.
Maxima's was my second favorite (I'm a gaga for Valentino)
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Serene Highness

Not one really. I absolutely loathe seeing sleeves on a wedding dress. Strapless or with staps but no sleeves. But if I had to pick, it would be Grace Kelly's. But then I would also like to borrow her face because otherwise it just looks wrong.

Tiara, preferably none. Only very small and no gold.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Princess Martha Louise of Norway's gown
It's quite unusual, but with a fairytale touch I really loved. Plus it was 2 dresses in one, the long coat for the ceremony, and the version underneath for the dinner and the ball !

Old 04-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Royal Highness

i would definately pick Mary's gown. so far it was my favourite wedding gown, ceremony, bouquet, i loved everything.
but instead the tiara i would choose is the Cambridge Lover's Knot, i LOVE that tiara, its one of my favourite British tiaras
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

I'd pick MM from Norways or CP Victoria's-both simple and sleek! (maybe what KM's will be?)

Still thinking about the tiara, ver possibley a Dutch one
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Courtier

Since I'm so short, I would wear Princess Margaret's wedding gown and that wonderful Poltimore tiara. I've always loved that wedding gown and tiara.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 AM
Royal Highness

Maxima's or Victoria's, depending on the time of year. As for a tiara, I'm thinking MM's wedding tiara, the Diamond bandeau tiara Maxima wears, or the GD Vladimir tiara belonging to QE II but I'd replace the pearls with sapphires.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Not one really. I absolutely loathe seeing sleeves on a wedding dress. Strapless or with staps but no sleeves. But if I had to pick, it would be Grace Kelly's. But then I would also like to borrow her face because otherwise it just looks wrong.

I'm the opposite, I'm so sick of strapless dresses!
That's practically all you see any more, and everyone looks like she is wearing a uniform.

They are popular, have been for over a decade now, but I would enjoy seeing some diversity in the design of wedding dresses, not the same old, same old.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I am tired of strapless wedding gowns too and frankly, they don't even look that good on most women.

You have to have a certain type of body not to mention great shoulders to look good in a strapless gown, IMO.

I agree with Empress Merel that on any other woman, Grace Kelly's wedding gown would have been an absolute flop. That gown featured Grace's tiny, tiny waist, long arms and neck, small bosom and taller than average height...not to mention the most exquisite face possible.

It was GRACE KELLY who made that particular dress work, imo.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Courtier

I am with Mirabel and Moonmaiden23, I loathe seeing strapless dresses over and over again.
And, honestly, I can't understand why someone loves that type of dress.

I don't know whose dress I would like to wear, I do have some favourites but the idea of wearing (a lookalike of) them myself is another thing.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

If I were getting married in the 80's it would have been Sarah Ferguson's gown.
If I was getting married now( I am not married, never have been, not planning on it happening any time soon), then either CP. Victoria's or Princess Marie's.
Do not know which tiara!
And anyway, we will have to see what Kate wears... that may alter my dress choice list!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

Since I tend to be attracted to all things shiny, I am intrigued by Princess Charlotte's cloth-of-silver wedding dress.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

I think the problem with so many strapless dresses is that it's too tight at the breast area, making the upper-body look bulky. Which makes the fat above that area and the arms look even bigger. When done properly, it's really beautiful. And well, bigger women shouldn't wear strapless anyway.

If anybody is interested, UK Vogue has all the significant BRF wedding dresses in their issue. With pics and sketches.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

I agree that most people should not wear strapless and don't look as good in them as they might look, dressed otherwise. It would be quite a departure from Kate's style to suddenly appear strapless in public (I know she did a campy college fashion show - this is rather different).

She has a somewhat buttoned down style, often very tailored, and I for one have not seen a single picture of her in anything remotely approaching strapless (camisole tank, tank top).

Strapless usually minimizes big breasts and either creates too much cleavage or squishes everything around to the side, in either case, the figure is very much shaped by the dress, rather than the dress following the person's body. And one has to have just the right sort of shoulders and neck to pull it off (both Kate and her mother often wear scarves; I hope she doesn't choose something that makes her feel not herself on her wedding day - we all know brides who have done it - I don't think Kate will, though).
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post

how about tessy anthony's(louis of luxembourg's wife) wedding dress? that dress was strapless...

if i had to pick it would be victoria's. it's classy, and simple...

tiaras? mary of denmark's tiara was romantic and delicated...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Claire of Belgium's dress with Princess Margaret of Connaught's Khedive of Egypt Cartier tiara and Archduchess Marie-Christine' lace veil.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Serene Highness

For me, it's a toss up between CP Mathilde's or CP Letizia's Wedding Gowns. Both were of somewhat similar design w/the coat/jacket turning into the train w/an "underdress" also a part of it. I adore the lace on Letizia's though.

The reason being is out of all the Royal Wedding Dresses of the last 30 years, those would be the most flattering on me.

As for a Tiara...I really adore the Tiara that makes up the Ruby Parure of Denmark Suite and we see Mary wearing so often. It's so unique and pretty w/those enameled ivy leaves IMO. I think it would be a lovely Tiara for a Royal Wedding.

That's just me though.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I think princess soraya and tessy are the only royal brides that wore strapless dresses.I dont like strapless dresses.I am a traditional person and I perfer sleeves.