The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

What is the form of a Swedish royal wedding

since it has been quite a while since we had a major royal wedding in sweden i wanted to know what a royal wedding would be like (say if victoria, carl or madeleine got married)
would it be an afternoon wedding ie evening dress
would it be a morning wedding ie hats
are there any special swedish custom that happen

Old 12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
since it has been quite a while since we had a major royal wedding in sweden i wanted to know what a royal wedding would be like (say if victoria, carl or madeleine got married)
would it be an afternoon wedding ie evening dress
would it be a morning wedding ie hats
are there any special swedish custom that happen
difficult to say as there Princes Chrstina had an afternoon Wedding with tiaras and evening gowns in 1974 and King Carl XVI. Gustaf was at noon and there it was long dresses with hats for the ladies and the men in Uniform with Orders and decorations. I think certain is that a Wedding of Victoria will take place at the Storkyrkan at Stockholm.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Courtier

Just my opinion but I think Victoria's wedding will be a state occasion so for the men it will be uniforms and orders, for the women, hats/tiaras. For Carl and Madeleine it may be gala for the women and balck and white for the men as in tux and bowties.

Stellad
Old 02-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

with Victoria and Daniels' wedding now planned for 2010 i was wondering would Madeleine be one of the bridesmaids

has anybody else any ideas on who else might be a possiblity

Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Any Bestman Ideas for Daniel?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

what is the diference between black tie and white tie?
Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
what is the diference between black tie and white tie?
Black tie is a semi-formal form of dress for a variety of functions such as a dinners, parties, cocktail parties etc. The man wears a black/dark blue dinner jacket/tuxedo, white dress shirt and black bow tie (or possibly another colour of his choice). Women wear either a cocktail dress or long evening gown - trouser suits in my opinion are better kept for lunches!

White tie is the most formal form of evening dress worn for functions taking after 6pm (such as balls, opera, formal dinner) so not approproate for day time (morning suits in grey, black, dark blue worn with top hats appropriate for functions ending by 6pm). For men, white tie consists of a black dress coat, white bow tie, starched shirt with stiff collar and a waistcoat. For women, a ball-gown or long floor length dress would be appropriate - preferably with something covering the shoulders and upper arms - and of course a tiara!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's no Best Man at a Swedish wedding, and no tradition of the father walking the bride down the aisle either.
At her wedding, Queen Silvia had one 'adult' bridesmaid and five pages & flowergirls.
The big question is indeed whether this will be a white tie/afternoon wedding or a black tie/morning wedding.
Dress code wise, I just hope that there will be a clear decision; the 1976 wedding of King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia was black tie, but full length day dresses, the result being that ladies fell into the fashion pit of the Dutch 'Prinsjedag'. A very awkward look that rarely can be pulled off in an elegant fashion, IMO.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Dress code wise, I just hope that there will be a clear decision; the 1976 wedding of King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia was black tie, but full length day dresses, the result being that ladies fell into the fashion pit of the Dutch 'Prinsjedag'. A very awkward look that rarely can be pulled off in an elegant fashion, IMO.
Well, if it was clear that it didnt work then, they'll probably change it.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Black tie is a semi-formal form of dress for a variety of functions such as a dinners, parties, cocktail parties etc. The man wears a black/dark blue dinner jacket/tuxedo, white dress shirt and black bow tie (or possibly another colour of his choice). Women wear either a cocktail dress or long evening gown - trouser suits in my opinion are better kept for lunches!

White tie is the most formal form of evening dress worn for functions taking after 6pm (such as balls, opera, formal dinner) so not approproate for day time (morning suits in grey, black, dark blue worn with top hats appropriate for functions ending by 6pm). For men, white tie consists of a black dress coat, white bow tie, starched shirt with stiff collar and a waistcoat. For women, a ball-gown or long floor length dress would be appropriate - preferably with something covering the shoulders and upper arms - and of course a tiara!
In Sweden the white tie is also used at funerals by men closely related to the dead person (family members) and black tie is used by other men visiting the funeral (friends and others)
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Gentry

In Spain there is a protocol rule that says the presence of the King or the people in his family always accompanied the national anthem, the Marcha Real. It is for this reason that Infantas did not go to church the day of their marriage under the notes of the traditional wedding march, but with those of the Spanish national anthem.
Is there a similar tradition in Sweden?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Courtier

I am having a little difficulty in picturing the different options.
Has anyone got any pictures to visualise it for me?

Tags
royal weddings, sweden