The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Commoner

What Do Royal Brides Give Up before they Marry ?

Did royal Brides have to Give up/ change things before the got married if so what?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Courtier

I think almost all - if not all - princesses not born royal - had to give up their jobs at first place. Letizia was a journalist, Maxima a banker, I think Mary was working for Microsoft I remember reading somewhere. Mette-Marit a waitress.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Privacy would one thing and perhaps the freedom really to go out of the house. At least for the Duchess of Cambridge, I don't know if it is exactly true of the others. Did they have the paparazzi stalking them?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Also,Mary gave up her australian nationality and also her religion changing to lutheran.
Alexandra Manley gave up the custody of any children from her marriage to Joaquim in case of divorce upon their marriage.
In older generation,Anne Marie of Denmark gave up her right for the danish throne and also her children rights when she married king Kostantine of Greece.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Serene Highness

Some give up a career or job. Others change their religion or citizenship as stated above. Privacy probably is the number one thing that they give up. Some give up their children's rights to the throne, depending on the circumstances. I imagine there are other things that they also give up, which haven't been thought of.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

In some cases, perhaps close contact with their own families. I think they'd be expected to spend major holidays with whichever royal family they married into, at least the occasion when the family goes to their place of worship on the holiday.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Courtier

Autumn Phillips gave up her faith so her husband didnt have to give up his right to the throne.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Courtier

Princess Sophia of Greece gave up her Greek Orthodox Faith and converted into the Roman Catholic Faith when she married Prince Juan Carlos of Spain in 1962, in order to become Spain's Queen. Her name spelling was also changed from the Greek "Sophia" to the Spanish "Sofia".
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent

They give up smoking sometimes. I think that Sarah Ferguson gave up smoking before she married Prince Andrew but then took up the habit again later on. Prince Philip also gave up smoking when he married the then Princess Elizabeth.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would guess all the crown princesses gave up the right to custody of their children if they were to get divorced.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma View Post
Also,Mary gave up her australian nationality and also her religion changing to lutheran.
Alexandra Manley gave up the custody of any children from her marriage to Joaquim in case of divorce upon their marriage.
In older generation,Anne Marie of Denmark gave up her right for the danish throne and also her children rights when she married king Kostantine of Greece.
Alexandra have the main physical custody of the boys.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Alexandra have the main physical custody of the boys.
Can you give me more explaination,please? As far as I know,the boys live with their father.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the most important thing they give up before they marry is themselves! From the moment their engagements are announced they become the Royal Fiancé, the Crown Princess in waiting, and are rigorously scrutinised, not least by the household of the family they are marrying into.

"Princess School" is tailor made for each fiancé and may involve learning a new "first" language, changing the style of deportment, dress and hair. History lessons, protocol lessons, a change of religious Denomination or even conversion to another is also a possibility because she ceases to be just Mary, Maxima, Mette-Marit, Marie, Letizia, Sarah, Sophie, Catherine . . . .

She is now, for all intents and purposes, the property of the State!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
No, she didn´t change her religion. Countess Alexandra did change her religion.
Quote:
This is partly correct. Prince Joachim and Countess Alexandra has shared custody of their children.
Alexandra will only have to give up custody IF she moves abroad. This goes for CPss Mary as well.

Quote:
Can you give me more explaination,please? As far as I know,the boys live with their father.
The two boys, Nikolai and Felix, lives with their mother Countess Alexandra and her husband Martin Jørgensen.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
No, she didn´t change her religion. Countess Alexandra did change her religion.
Wasn't Mary Presbyterian before she married Frederik and converted to the Lutheran Danish National Church?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saschana

Wasn't Mary Presbyterian before she married Frederik and converted to the Lutheran Danish National Church?
Yes, she was. Although IIRC she was not officially "required" to convert, but chose to do so.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I think they give up to their past, and to their previous way of life. Sometimes also to their family, in official appearances.
Maxima was asked NOT to invite her father at the wedding, because of his political past.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2Eden View Post
Yes, she was. Although IIRC she was not officially "required" to convert, but chose to do so.
I´ve asked one, who must know the answer to the question and that person said that CPss Mary was given lectures in the evangelic-Lutheran faith before the wedding and that CPss Mary didn´t convert, so... I guess I´ll stick to this answer
Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2Eden View Post
I think there is a little confusion about "conversion" so here's hoping this will help clarify the issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Religious conversion is the adoption of a new religion that differs from the converts previous religion. Changing from one denomination to another within the same religion (e.g., Christian Baptist to Methodist, Muslim Shia to Sunni, etc) is usually described as re affiliation rather than conversion.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that those who change from Protestant to Roman Catholic or vice versa do, in fact, convert. Mary merely changed affiliation.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that those who change from Protestant to Roman Catholic or vice versa do, in fact, convert. Mary merely changed affiliation.
Exactly Countess Alexandra did convert and was confirmed prior to her wedding with Prince Joachim.
CPss Mary didn´t convert and didn´t get confirmed prior to her wedding as she was already a protestant