The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wedding mistakes

I can't believe I am about to ask this because I feel even thinking it is a jinx...but have there ever been any royal wedding mishaps? There have been so many that I can't help but wonder if someone tripped or fell if a bouquet was dropped, especially considering how long some of those aisles are.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know that both Diana and Chris O'Neil repeated the names of their spouses incorrectly, and there was a page missing in the book used by the priest at Claire and Felix's wedding. Can't think of anyone tripping or dropped flowers recently.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Marie of Denmark had some trouble with her veil before entering the church. However, in her defence, I believe the wind was rather hefty that day and she handled the situation well.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

The wedding bouquet of Princess Nathalie von S.W.B. arrived when she entered the Church !
Old 10-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
I know that both Diana and Chris O'Neil repeated the names of their spouses incorrectly
Chris said Madeleine's name wrong? Aside from perhaps Anglicized pronunciation, I don't recall him saying anything wrong.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFilesFreak3 View Post
Chris said Madeleine's name wrong? Aside from perhaps Anglicized pronunciation, I don't recall him saying anything wrong.
Madeleine's name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Chris said Madeleine Amelie Thérèse Josephine.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Madeleine's name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Chris said Madeleine Amelie Thérèse Josephine.
I had to rewind the video several times just to make sure. My husband thought I lost my mind. He kept saying, "didn't he just say that", then I had to tell him what was up.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I know that both Diana and Chris O'Neil repeated the names of their spouses incorrectly ...
Sarah Ferguson guarded against making the same mistake by remembering "Andrew ACE" which stood for his full name Andrew Albert Christian Edward. Poor Diana actually said "I take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George." After the wedding when they watched the video, Prince Andrew said, "She just married my father!" haha!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

When Andrew and Sarah walk back down the aisle together and reached the West Door, Sarah turned round and asked an official to adjust and straighten her train. This must surely have been a mistake as her bridesmaids should have done that!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Quote:
... there was a page missing in the book used by the priest at Claire and Felix's wedding.
Overall, Princes Gabriel and Noah did beautifully at Claire and Felix' wedding. A little mix-up occurred when the newlyweds turned to leave from the altar. Prince Gabriel and Prince Noah didn't realize that when the recessional music began, the married couple would be the first to leave the church. It took awhile before the children understood that they were to walk BEHIND the newly married couple, as they had walked in FRONT of them entering the church.

(And I must say that another faux pas in my book was that the man adjusting the train - I assume an employee of Eli Saab - had his necktie loosened. Good grief! And why was one of the groomsmen wearing light gray tails when all the rest wore darker gray?? Oh well, it was a beautiful wedding!)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post

Did Daniel say Victoria's name right? Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Did Daniel say Victoria's name right? Victoria Ingrid Alice Desiree.
Yes, Daniel said Victoria's name right, as you can see from this video, from 1.30.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Nobility

If I remember correctly Charles as well made a mistake during his wedding ceremony with Diana, during the giving of the ring when he was supposed to say "and all my worldly goods with thee I share". I remind it sounded wrong when I first watched it on YT, but I can't remember what he said exaclty
Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
If I remember correctly Charles as well made a mistake during his wedding ceremony with Diana, during the giving of the ring when he was supposed to say "and all my worldly goods with thee I share". I remind it sounded wrong when I first watched it on YT, but I can't remember what he said exaclty
I think you are right. I think he made the mistake to either overshadow the mistake Diana made with his names, or to make her feel better about her mistake. Either way, I believe he did it on purpose for her, how sweet is that!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Nobility

If I recall correctly, he said "All THY worldly goods with thee I share" and sounded as if he knew he'd confused the words but it was too late to retrace his steps and get it right :)
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Ok thank GAWD there haven't been any trips mentioned, especially considering how long those aisles are.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
When Andrew and Sarah walk back down the aisle together and reached the West Door, Sarah turned round and asked an official to adjust and straighten her train. This must surely have been a mistake as her bridesmaids should have done that!
I didn't see anybody adjusting Sarah's train at the West door after her wedding. I thought her bridesmaids did that after she curtsied to the Queen.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

What about a last-minute wedding slipup? Queen Elizabeth on her wedding day decided to wear a pearl necklace given to her by her parents, but it was still on display along with the other wedding gifts at St. James Palace. She sent her private secretary to get the pearls shortly before she had to leave for Westminster Abbey. After fighting through tremendous crowds, he managed to convince the officials guarding the wedding gifts that he was indeed sent by the Princess for the pearls and got them back to her just before her departure.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
What about a last-minute wedding slipup? Queen Elizabeth on her wedding day decided to wear a pearl necklace given to her by her parents, but it was still on display along with the other wedding gifts at St. James Palace. She sent her private secretary to get the pearls shortly before she had to leave for Westminster Abbey. After fighting through tremendous crowds, he managed to convince the officials guarding the wedding gifts that he was indeed sent by the Princess for the pearls and got them back to her just before her departure.
Don't forget the tiara broke *and* they couldn't find the bouquets. It was pretty close to leaving for the Abbey when it was remembered they were in a fridge/freezer to keep them fresh.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah, yes, the case of the broken tiara; I recall that. How fortuitous that a jeweler was on hand to do a quick repair! And I guess the logical place would be the fridge for the flowers, but who'd think to look there? Several snafus that day that could have tripped up a beautiful occasion, but obviously it all worked out well.