Wedding Mistakes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniaCasaraghi

Heir Apparent
City
Texas
Country
United States
I can't believe I am about to ask this because I feel even thinking it is a jinx...but have there ever been any royal wedding mishaps? There have been so many that I can't help but wonder if someone tripped or fell if a bouquet was dropped, especially considering how long some of those aisles are.

I know that both Diana and Chris O'Neil repeated the names of their spouses incorrectly, and there was a page missing in the book used by the priest at Claire and Felix's wedding. Can't think of anyone tripping or dropped flowers recently.

The wedding bouquet of Princess Nathalie von S.W.B. arrived when she entered the Church !

Chris said Madeleine's name wrong? Aside from perhaps Anglicized pronunciation, I don't recall him saying anything wrong.

Madeleine's name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Chris said Madeleine Amelie Thérèse Josephine.

Madeleine's name is Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Chris said Madeleine Amelie Thérèse Josephine.
I had to rewind the video several times just to make sure. My husband thought I lost my mind. He kept saying, "didn't he just say that", then I had to tell him what was up.

I know that both Diana and Chris O'Neil repeated the names of their spouses incorrectly ...

Sarah Ferguson guarded against making the same mistake by remembering "Andrew ACE" which stood for his full name Andrew Albert Christian Edward. Poor Diana actually said "I take thee, Philip Charles Arthur George." After the wedding when they watched the video, Prince Andrew said, "She just married my father!" haha!

When Andrew and Sarah walk back down the aisle together and reached the West Door, Sarah turned round and asked an official to adjust and straighten her train. This must surely have been a mistake as her bridesmaids should have done that!

... there was a page missing in the book used by the priest at Claire and Felix's wedding.

Overall, Princes Gabriel and Noah did beautifully at Claire and Felix' wedding. A little mix-up occurred when the newlyweds turned to leave from the altar. Prince Gabriel and Prince Noah didn't realize that when the recessional music began, the married couple would be the first to leave the church. It took awhile before the children understood that they were to walk BEHIND the newly married couple, as they had walked in FRONT of them entering the church.

(And I must say that another faux pas in my book was that the man adjusting the train - I assume an employee of Eli Saab - had his necktie loosened. Good grief! And why was one of the groomsmen wearing light gray tails when all the rest wore darker gray?? Oh well, it was a beautiful wedding!)

If I remember correctly Charles as well made a mistake during his wedding ceremony with Diana, during the giving of the ring when he was supposed to say "and all my worldly goods with thee I share". I remind it sounded wrong when I first watched it on YT, but I can't remember what he said exaclty

If I remember correctly Charles as well made a mistake during his wedding ceremony with Diana, during the giving of the ring when he was supposed to say "and all my worldly goods with thee I share". I remind it sounded wrong when I first watched it on YT, but I can't remember what he said exaclty

I think you are right. I think he made the mistake to either overshadow the mistake Diana made with his names, or to make her feel better about her mistake. Either way, I believe he did it on purpose for her, how sweet is that!

If I recall correctly, he said "All THY worldly goods with thee I share" and sounded as if he knew he'd confused the words but it was too late to retrace his steps and get it right :)

Ok thank GAWD there haven't been any trips mentioned, especially considering how long those aisles are.

When Andrew and Sarah walk back down the aisle together and reached the West Door, Sarah turned round and asked an official to adjust and straighten her train. This must surely have been a mistake as her bridesmaids should have done that!
I didn't see anybody adjusting Sarah's train at the West door after her wedding. I thought her bridesmaids did that after she curtsied to the Queen.

What about a last-minute wedding slipup? Queen Elizabeth on her wedding day decided to wear a pearl necklace given to her by her parents, but it was still on display along with the other wedding gifts at St. James Palace. She sent her private secretary to get the pearls shortly before she had to leave for Westminster Abbey. After fighting through tremendous crowds, he managed to convince the officials guarding the wedding gifts that he was indeed sent by the Princess for the pearls and got them back to her just before her departure.

Last edited:
What about a last-minute wedding slipup? Queen Elizabeth on her wedding day decided to wear a pearl necklace given to her by her parents, but it was still on display along with the other wedding gifts at St. James Palace. She sent her private secretary to get the pearls shortly before she had to leave for Westminster Abbey. After fighting through tremendous crowds, he managed to convince the officials guarding the wedding gifts that he was indeed sent by the Princess for the pearls and got them back to her just before her departure.

Don't forget the tiara broke *and* they couldn't find the bouquets. It was pretty close to leaving for the Abbey when it was remembered they were in a fridge/freezer to keep them fresh.

Ah, yes, the case of the broken tiara; I recall that. How fortuitous that a jeweler was on hand to do a quick repair!:D And I guess the logical place would be the fridge for the flowers, but who'd think to look there? ;) Several snafus that day that could have tripped up a beautiful occasion, but obviously it all worked out well.

Last edited:
I didn't see anybody adjusting Sarah's train at the West door after her wedding. I thought her bridesmaids did that after she curtsied to the Queen.

Yes, Peter Phillips and one of the bridesmaids adjusted the train after the curtsey, but later on just past the tomb of the unknown warrior, the newlyweds stopped for Andrew to retrieve his gloves etc and Sarah asked an official in red uniform to sort out the train, which was at an angle. The official then went back and had a word with one of the clergy who then straightened it.
I'm not sure this link will work, but if you go on youtube and search for
ROYAL WEDDING 1986 - Andrew & Sarah (8 of 9) at 8mins 15secs you'll see it all happening!

ROYAL WEDDING 1986 - Andrew & Sarah (8 of 9) - YouTube

I think little "mis steps" bring humanity back to a wedding ceremony. In the end it is about that young man and that young lady wanting to engage in marriage, no more, no less.

I am happy no any of these royal brides are one of those monster brideszillas who terrorise all and everyone, the groom included, to have the "perfect" wedding. My impression is that all royal weddings are -of course- well organized but no one flips or freaks out when something is not entirely according the blueprint. We are all human.

When Princess Margaret Rose married Antony Armstrong-Jones in May of 1960, did Margaret say part of her vows incorrectly?

Oh dear lord, really Sarah?! But that little faux pas set the tone for future gaucheries to come, I'm afraid....:sad:

:previous: Oh you have got to be kidding! :ROFLMAO:

Going on that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were doomed beyond redemption with no hope of a divorce for sixty years and still counting:

• the bride forgot to get her pearls
  • the bride forgot to have her tiara checked for it's big day
  • the bride forgot where they put the bridal bouquets

Last edited:
why would this be todo with the bride? Surely its up to the staff to keep an eye on the bouquet etc? I know that Q Elizabeth's tiara was found to have a crack in it but I can't remember what happened then, did she wear another one.

Sarah Ferguson guarded against making the same mistake by remembering "Andrew ACE" which stood for his full name Andrew Albert Christian Edward. Poor Diana actually said "I !
I seem to remember, maybe I'm wrong, Sara stumbling and saying "Andrew Albert Christian Christian Edward!"?

why would this be todo with the bride? Surely its up to the staff to keep an eye on the bouquet etc? I know that Q Elizabeth's tiara was found to have a crack in it but I can't remember what happened then, did she wear another one.

The tiara snapped when being put on. But fortunately Gurrards, the jewellers who made it for Mary, sent a jeweller over. He made a hasty repair. You can see the gap in the wedding portraits.

Royal Jewel Rewind: Queen Elizabeth II's Wedding Jewelry | The Court Jeweller

sorry, thank you for this. I saw older posts later (bout of insomnia due to ill health) and saw that the tiara had been hasitily repaired! I would have gottene a different one, myself, but it all worked out fine. They have had a long happy marriage.

Back
Top Bottom