Strange Customs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm writing a magazine feature about Royal Weddings Around the world. The idea is that I write about the unusual or distinctive customs that occur at Royal Weddings in countries outside of the UK. This part is serious, and I want it to be really eye-opening and educational for readers.

A small part of the feature, and this is more light hearted and fun, looks at those international customs and speculates on what might happen if Prince William and Kate were to adopt them. For example- After speaking about how the cost of a royal wedding is Lethoso in 2001 was 1/500 of the nation's GDP, I calculate how much a British Royal Wedding would cost if William and Kate were to spend 1/500 of the UK's GDP. Or, after writing about how the Moroccan royals pardon thousands of prisoners before a royal wedding, I would joke about which prisoners the UK would release to celebrate William and Kate's love.

If anybody has any tips or advice for this article, or examples I could investigate further, or in fact any help at all on the matter, then I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for your time!

Okay, let me begin then.

In Denmark. Not only at royal weddings, but also ordinary people and indeed at copper, silver and gold anniversaries as well.

When the bridal waltz is danced just before midnight, the family and guests form a wide circle around the bridal couple. And while they dance, the family slowly close the circle around the couple, while clapping to the music. Until in the end, the bridal couple no longer have room to dance at which part they are expected to kiss. And people cheer.

Here is clip from You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS5_84MAKlc&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!
It is not only the kissing. The grom will be holed, and his friends will take his shoes off, and this sock will be cut as well

I don't know why and how but at the Spanish crown princly wedding in 2004 I remember very well that after the church ceremony the bridal couple drove to another church where Letizia had to leave her wedding bouquet on the altar. I remember that it was said that this is a tradition but I can't recall anymore why. You can see it here on this video in which they are already in the second church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11uMTknzVM&feature=related

When the bridal waltz is danced just before midnight, the family and guests form a wide circle around the bridal couple. And while they dance, the family slowly close the circle around the couple, while clapping to the music. Until in the end, the bridal couple no longer have room to dance at which part they are expected to kiss. And people cheer.
Hey!
It is not only the kissing. The grom will be holed, and his friends will take his shoes off, and this sock will be cut as well
And family and friends will clip pieces of the bride´s veil :flowers:

I don't know why and how but at the Spanish crown princly wedding in 2004 I remember very well that after the church ceremony the bridal couple drove to another church where Letizia had to leave her wedding bouquet on the altar. I remember that it was said that this is a tradition but I can't recall anymore why. You can see it here on this video in which they are already in the second church:
The tradition is something a lot of catholic brides do, they offer their bridal bouquet to a virgin saint of some sort. Since she's royal they just decided to do it in another church.

They didn't choose another church because she's royal, they chose the Basilica of Atocha because the Virgin of Atocha was declared patroness of the Spanish monarchy and the Spanish Royal Family in 1643 by Felipe IV and since 1852 every royal infant is presented to the Virgin of Atocha after their births. Alfonso XII got married in this church in 1878. Besides, the bombings that took place in Madrid two months before their wedding were in Atocha too.
Because all of this, she left her bouquet to the Virgin of Atocha.

Thanks for the explanation I remember watching the clip on youtube and the commentator explaining something amongst those lines...:)

Thanks for the explanation I remember watching the clip on youtube and the commentator explaining something amongst those lines...:)

Thank you for explaining. I didn't know this as well.

They didn't choose another church because she's royal, they chose the Basilica of Atocha because the Virgin of Atocha was declared patroness of the Spanish monarchy and the Spanish Royal Family in 1643 by Felipe IV and since 1852 every royal infant is presented to the Virgin of Atocha after their births. Alfonso XII got married in this church in 1878. Besides, the bombings that took place in Madrid two months before their wedding were in Atocha too.
Because all of this, she left her bouquet to the Virgin of Atocha.

It's traditional to leave your bridal bouquet to the Mary, our Blessed Mother; I have a photo of my mother leaving her bouquet to Our Lady of the Snows in the church where my parents were married. It's not a Royal tradition per se, but a Catholic one. The choice of which is up to the bride, of course, and it appears that the Spanish Royal family's Mother is the Virgin of Atocha.

Back
Top Bottom