Questions About Royal British Weddings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShoeGal

City
New York
Country
United States
New to the forum...I joined the forum because I had some specific questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to, and was hoping someone could shed some light on it...

Okay, let's say a British Prince wanted to marry an average person, of average lifestyle, who was divorced and had children..where they did not have a previous marriage or children...what do they have to do to make that legal and possible, other than the obvious get permission from the Queen.

Also, what if that said Prince and the girl he wanted to get married to didn't want a big stately wedding in front of tens of thousands of people watching and wanted something private...would they have the right to have it like that and request it?

And last, what if they wanted to get married somewhere outside of the country he is Prince to? Like a destination wedding in another country? Is that considered poor taste to assume they could have a private wedding, amongst family and close friends, wherever they want to have it?

1. Only the first six in the line of succession now need permission to marry - so anyone lower than Andrew can marry whomever, wherever and whenever they like and tell people when they want to do so e.g. if Eugenie wanted to marry and not tell anyone until it was well and truly over she could do so and remain in the line of succession as she is 8th in line.

2. Divorce is no bar e.g. The Prince of Wales has married a divorced woman with two children.

3. The further they are from the throne the less likely the British public would be to support a big wedding e.g. will Harry get the full Westminster Abbey wedding? Not sure but could easily see him a Windsor - particularly if he doesn't marry for another 10 or so years

4. The closer they are to the throne the less acceptable it would be for them to marry outside the UK and outside the church. Eugenie might be able to get away with it but Harry couldn't do so.

I'm pretty sure the various elements of the questions have been discussed in other threads, but in the meantime I agree with what Iluvbertie says.

In terms of the legalities, doesn't English common law come into it - provided both parties are legally free to marry there would be no impediment to the marriage.

In my world, the larger and more public the wedding the better, but it is up to the couple to decide - plenty of royal couples have had quiet weddings.

I'm not sure a destination wedding is something royals would necessarily do - I can't imagine a beach wedding in Tenerife for one of the York princesses let alone the Queen turning up to something of that nature. I guess the destination would have to have meaning to the couple - say if the bride was from Italy, it wouldn't seem off for the wedding to be held there. Other than that, I can't see the point of marrying in a random place.

Queen Elizabeth II has loaned tiaras to brides to use on their wedding day. When George IV was the sovereign, suppose the bride marrying into the Royal Family did not have a tiara of her own. First, would a tiara have been able to be loaned to her? Secondly, who would have the task of loaning the tiara to her: The King or the Queen Consort?

Queen Elizabeth II has loaned tiaras to brides to use on their wedding day. When George IV was the sovereign, suppose the bride marrying into the Royal Family did not have a tiara of her own. First, would a tiara have been able to be loaned to her? Secondly, who would have the task of loaning the tiara to her: The King or the Queen Consort?

When George IV was King, none of his sons could have officially married a woman whose family did not own a tiara.

George IV only had one child - Princess Charlotte . No sons

In addition to what's already been stated, more often than not, royal brides did not wear tiaras on their wedding days.

Also royal brides often got lots of jewels as wedding presents and my conjecture is that the hypothetical daughter-in-law would have been gifted tiaras and other jewels and not be lent jewels.

Back
Top Bottom