The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder if she really said that.If she did,why could'nt Henry say that!

Haha.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
How about the Romanovs
In the Orthodox Church there are no spoken vows. The priest does all the blessings and prayers and then the bride and the groom are crowned, and led around the altar three times (don't know if that's before or after the ring exchange).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness

Kate Middleton's wedding vows: what's in a word? | Samhita Mukhopadhyay | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Thatīs an article on Kate and her wedding vow without obey ;-)
I really like traditional weddings and keeping the ceremony as it has been for so many years,however I always disliked the "obey" part so itīs good to see that Catherine Middleton was able to change that-it was still a wonderful traditional wedding ceremony and I hope her example will be followed and set an end to this archaic word :-)

excerpt from the wedding program with William and Catherines words:
http://weddings.about.com/od/william...dding-Vows.htm
Old 09-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Kate Middleton's wedding vows: what's in a word? | Samhita Mukhopadhyay | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Thatīs an article on Kate and her wedding vow without obdenience ;-)
I really like traditional weddings and keeping the ceremony as it has been for so many years,however I always disliked the "obey" part so itīs good to see that Catherine Middleton was able to change that-it was still a wonderful traditional wedding ceremony and I hope her example will be followed and set an end to this archaic word :-)

excerpt from the wedding program with William and Catherines words:
The Royal Wedding Vows - What William and Kate Promised Each Other at the Altar
I read on this forum that Diana, Princess of Wales omitted the word 'obey' from her wedding vows too.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Royal Highness

You are right

During the vows Diana accidentally reversed the order of Charles's names, saying Philip Charles Arthur George instead. She did not promise to "obey" him; that traditional vow was left out at the couple's request, which caused a sensation at the time.
Wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see anything wrong with adding "obey" to the vows, although it is very old fashioned. When Sophie chose to include it in her vow to Edward the media, and the world, were in uproar. I am not sure I see what the big deal was; they were her vows, her choice, her words - she could say what she wished. I honestly do not see Sophie obeying Edward though, at all. I imagine it's the other way around!

I remember reading about Diana mixing up Charles' names. Quite amusing and difficult for the women marrying into the family as the princes all have 4 names. What an unnecessary thing to do! No doubt Diana rehearsed the names several times but nerves came into the situation and she got confused. I know I would definitely have to pause before saying their names to get them right!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Didn't someone ask for the Swedish King and Queen's wedding vows? Was that ever provided? If a woman wants to keep the obey part of the vows who the he11 cares, it is her decision. It's not like any woman today takes it literally. Most people ignore the "til death do us part" and "remaining faithful" parts of the vows as well.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
In the Orthodox Church there are no spoken vows. The priest does all the blessings and prayers and then the bride and the groom are crowned, and led around the alter three times (don't know if that's before or after the ring exchange).
It's a breathtakingly beautiful almost mystical ceremony(Orthodox wedding liturgy)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Didn't someone ask for the Swedish King and Queen's wedding vows? Was that ever provided?
Here are the three options for Swedish wedding vows, I think that both the king and queen as well as Victoria and Daniel used the first ones. Swedish Wedding Vows
Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
It's a breathtakingly beautiful almost mystical ceremony(Orthodox wedding liturgy)
From what I've seen of it, yes it is. Though the universal complaint is that it's too long .

Old 09-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Here are the three options for Swedish wedding vows, I think that both the king and queen as well as Victoria and Daniel used the first ones. Swedish Wedding Vows
These are very beautiful words
I prefer devotion to obdenience,it seems more romantic and modern-but every bride should chose her own way and style!If she likes to say "obey" because she wants to preserve traditions and celebrate her wedding just as it has been for many centuries before her, I donīt object.I am happy that nowadays women have a choice on what they want to say and how they want it to be and the church is much more open-minded and gives more creative freedom to change certain parts of the ceremony if you wish to do so.So both traditionalists and reformers can have it their way & I respect that other people have different views on this topic.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
These are very beautiful words
I prefer devotion to obdenience,it seems more romantic and modern-but every bride should chose her own way and style!If she likes to say "obey" because she wants to preserve traditions and celebrate her wedding just as it has been for many centuries before her
The word "trogen" that has been translated as "devoted" into English really means "true" or "faithful".

As for Sweden, the word "obey" dissapeared a long time ago, and if a bride would want to promise to obey her husband, I think that many of the priests in the Church of Sweden would ask her to reconsider that, as a marriage is seen as a union of two equeals. There was a lot of objection from Swedish priests that crown princess Victoria wanted her father to walk her up the aile, as it's not a Swedish tradition and gives the impression that the bride is someone her father can give away as he likes, and not a person able to make her own choice whom she marries.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are some videos of royal wedding vows:

King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia
Guillaume and Stephanie
William and Catherine
Victoria and Daniel
Felipe and Letizia
Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks IloveCP!

Even though I could only understand William/Kate's in English, all of them seemed so intimate, emotional and intense that I felt like an intruder on each couple. Very, very beautiful!
Old 11-08-2014, 01:51 AM
Commoner

What does this mean here in the wedding service?

For be ye well assured, that so many as be coupled together otherwise than God's Word doth allow are not joined together by God; neither is their Matrimony lawful.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's pretty clear what it means.

Not every couple who recites marriage vows is actually married in the sight of God and not every union carries God's blessing, according to the marriage rite of the Church of England.

Not politically correct, but there you have it.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Some religious traditions-the Catholic and Orthodox for example, offer little to no leeway in the personalizing of marriage vows.

In other words you do it their way or get married outside of the Church.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Some religious traditions-the Catholic and Orthodox for example, offer little to no leeway in the personalizing of marriage vows.

In other words you do it their way or get married outside of the Church.
I got married in the Catholic tradition and wouldn't have wanted to have messed with the vows, I love tradition.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

As a Roman Catholic I quite agree, angela. The marital vows of the Nuptial Mass are beautiful, spiritual and profound. I would never wish to tamper with them and I applaud the Church for not permitting it.

Tags
royal weddings, wedding vows