The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Courtier

Music for royal weddings

I'm in the process of planning my wedding (set for a little more then a year from now! Lots of time to plan!) At the moment I'm trying to find music to play during the ceremony and it made me think...I wonder what the Royals played?

Does anyone know what music pieces were played,
A) While the guests were seated in the church
B) When the Bride makes her way down the aisle
C) Through out the ceremony
D) When Bride and Groom leave the church (the walk back up the aisle)

Old 10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Courtier

A song to leave church which is used very often by royals is the tocata of Widor. Sophie /Märtha used it.

Also Mary had it when i rembember right.

Laurentien and Constantijn had when they entered: the bringer of joviality ( Gustav Holst)

Old 10-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

I still love the music Charles and Diana had arranged for their wedding. To Trumpet Voluntary at the beginning of the wedding still gives me the shivers. It really enhanced that this was THE royal wedding of the 20th century. Amazing how certain music really sets the tone for the wedding.

The piece written for Sophie was a little dark as she walked down the aisle, and fast in it's tempo and beat she practically sprinted with her father. :)
Old 10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

Have anyone videos of MM or Mathile walking down the aisle and leaving the church?

Märtha Louise walk down the aisle to "Eg er glad"(I are happy) of Svein Mųller, a video: Inngang - bryllupsmarsj

Here is a video of when Märtha and Ari leave the church to Toccata of Charles-Marie Widor: Utgang - bryllupsmarsj
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Do you need to have a special program for the link you posted to work? Nothing loads when I select it.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters
Do you need to have a special program for the link you posted to work? Nothing loads when I select it.
I fond the videos on http://www.nrk.no. Sorry, but I have no idea how you post a video.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The 'best' music was at Phillipe and Mathilde's wedding, when the bride entered Bach's Magnificat, from the Magnificat. When the couple left: Gloria from Bach's Hohe Messe and somewhere in the middle the Sanctus, also from the hohe messe. It was simply divine.

Letizia entered on the Andante of (organ) Concerto no9 of Handel, they were leaving on Handels Hallelujah, from the Messiah and somewhere in the middle was Mozarts 'Tantum Ergo Sacramentum', a wonderfull piece of music.

Claire and Laurent entered on Tocatta e Fuga of Bach, a bit sinister it seems, but on the moment I though it ery nice. His uncle Baudouin and Fabiola left the church with this music.

Willm-Alexander and Maxima entered the church on a piece of music from a dutch composer, witten for the inhauguration of Queen Beatrix, very regal. And they left the church on the Hallelujah from Handels Messiah. In the middle there was a classical adaption of Piazolla's tango 'Adios Nonino', Handels 'a toi la gloire' and the Ave Maria.

Constantijn and Laurentien left the church on Vivaldi's Gloria.

Inaki and Cristina left the catherdral on the Hallelujah from Handels Messiah as well.

Mary entered the church on Handels 'Zadok the Priest', traditionally used at the coronation of british monarchs.

Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus entered the church with Handels adaption of the song 'A toi la gloire' (thou art the glory), a traditional song used in almost all dutch weddings/funerals etc since they became patrons of the Walloon church in The Hague, in the 18th of 17th century.

Maurits and Marilene left the church on 'the arrival of the prince of Denmark', the same piece of music was used by the late Princess of Wales when she entered the church.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Music and composers whose works were interpreted in the wedding of Felipe and Letizia of Spain:
http://www.casareal.es/boda/info/compo.html

At the Cathedral of Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena

1. During the arrival of the guests, the organist of the Cathedral, Roberto Fresco, interpreted works of the most remarkable composers of the reigns of Carlos V, Felipe II and Felipe V (XVI to XVIII centuries): Antonio de Cabezón, Sebastiįn Aguilera de Heredia, Francisco Correa de Arauxo, Pablo Bruna and Joan Bautista Cabanilles.

2. While His Majesty the King was entering the temple, the organ interpreted the National anthem.

3. While Dońa Letizia was walking up the aisle, it was played Allegro for organ, Opus 7 nr 3 si bemol, of Häendel.

4. Music played during the mass service:
  • Gloria: Misa Pro Victoria (of Tomįs Luis de Victoria);
  • Aleluia: Aleluya (of Cristóbal de Morales);
  • Oblatio: Sancta Maria KV 273 (of W. A. Mozart);
  • Sanctus et Benedictus: Misa Pro Victoria (of Tomįs Luis de Victoria);
  • Agnus Dei: Misa Pro Victoria (of Tomįs Luis de Victoria);
  • Communio: Tantum ergo KV 197 (of W. A. Mozart); O salutatis (of Juan Crisóstomo de Arriaga); Pan Divino (of Francisco Guerrero).
5. During the rites of Goodbye and Blessings:
Regina Coeli (of Tomįs Luis de Victoria).

6. During the witnesses' signatures:
Cantata nr 69 "Lobe den Herrn, Meine Seele" (of J. S. Bach).

7. While TRH the Princes of Asturias were leaving the Cathedral:
Hallelujah from the Messiah (of Häendel).

8. While the guests were leaving la Almudena: Prelude pro Organ Pleno, Coral Meine Seele erhebet den Herrn BWV 648, Coral Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ BWV 649 (of J. S. Bach).
Old 10-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mary of Denmark had Handel's 'Zodak the Priest' played while walking up the aisle. It gives me shivers. But it is an absolutely brilliant song. Its so royal lol
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMinka
Have anyone videos of MM or Mathile walking down the aisle and leaving the church?

Märtha Louise walk down the aisle to "Eg er glad"(I are happy) of Svein Mųller, a video: Inngang - bryllupsmarsj

Here is a video of when Märtha and Ari leave the church to Toccata of Charles-Marie Widor: Utgang - bryllupsmarsj
Didn't Edward and Sophie have the same music as they left St. George's Chapel?

Thank you for the video posts!! :) They worked on my pc just fine!

The exit music Charles and Diana had...or Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring for your prosessional or the bridesmaids....that is what I am having, the Josh Groban version. I love his voice and the music on that version.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMinka

I hadn't seen a video of Märtha Louise and Ari's wedding before. Thanks for the links. I really liked the music as well. The first part was a little 'dark', but when it changed it was nice. I didn't realise how long the aisle was until I timed how long it took her to walk from one end to where Ari was standing, and how long it took both of them to leave. It must be the longest walk of your life. The music as they left was excellent. Really loved that. This is a great thread, Britters. :)

Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Royal Highness

Märtha and Ari

Do anyone know the music played during the mass service to Märtha Louise and Ari?

I just know two: (with videos)
Edward Grieg: "The Las Spring"
Sissel Kyrkjebų: "Lęr Meg Å Kjenne Dine Veier"

When the last royal guest arrived it was played a song, but i have not the name:
http://www.nrk.no/dynasx?p_lenke_id=...4&mswmext=.asx (Opps... the music is not in the church, but inside the church:o )
Old 10-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Its a march called "Gammel Jegermarsj" It was played outside but I guess you could hear it inside as the door was open, or the TV did some tricks
Old 10-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Queen Elizabeth II entered with "Praise my soul the King of Heaven", sung by the choir.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
Queen Elizabeth II entered with "Praise my soul the King of Heaven", sung by the choir.
that must have been absolutely fantastic! that hymn gave me goosebumps as part of Charles and Camilla's wedding. i'm sure its even more spectacular for an entrance.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Nobility

I've heard a few say they thought Mary's choice of music was innappropiate....was the music written specifically for British coronations?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mary's song choice "Zadok the Priest" is meant for British coronations and it is a mystery as to why she used it. But didnt she look so regal while walking down the aisle to that song? :)
Old 10-11-2005, 09:12 AM

Re:

'Zadok the Priest' was a really welcome change to the usual strained wedding march.

I love the thundering organ pieces - 'Praise God from All Whom Blessings Flow' is a brilliant piece. The British Royal Family love their traditional hymns. At Sir Angus Ogilvy's Memorial Service we sang;

Holy Holy Holy
I Vow to Thee My Country
Praise my Soul the King of Heaven

To hear the organ and choir sounds flowing through the Abbey really gave me that goosebump feeling!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Mary's song choice "Zadok the Priest" is meant for British coronations and it is a mystery as to why she used it. But didnt she look so regal while walking down the aisle to that song? :)
I agree I thought it was a bit weird. It wasnt really well suited to a wedding I thought.

I agree that the usual organ wedding march can be stiff. I think it would have been nicer if she'd had "Sicut Cervus" by Palestrina while she walked up the aisle (it was sung later in the service) the way Frederick's parents did.

Its beautiful and very reflective and doesnt make your flesh creep like "zadok" does.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Re;

I think the appeal of 'Zadok' is that it builds up and erupts into this great shout of 'God Save the King/Queen' - which is lovely! I agree though, it's more of a Coronation anthem than a Wedding walk.

Tags
music, royal weddings