Royal Wedding Music

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only know for sure about Charles and Diana, but I hope that helps. They should be in order
- "Fanfare Royale" by Major W. Jackson
- "The Trumpet Voluntary (The Prince of Denmark's March- my personal favorite) by Jeremiah Clarke
Hymns:
- "Christ is made the sure foundation: by Henry Purcell
- "I vow to thee my country" by Gustav Holt/ lyrics by Sir Cecil Spring-Rice
- "I was glad" by Sir Hubert Parry
- "Let the people praise thee" by William Mathias
Register
- "March from the Overture to the Occasional Oratorio" by Handel
- "Let the Bright Seraphim"
- "Let their celestial concerts all unite"
Recessional
-"Fanfare, Rejoicing" by Major A Richards
- "Pomp and Circumstance" by Edward Elgar

The music played for CP Mary's entrance does not necessarly mean that she was the one who selected it. Didnt the Queen have a great deal to do with the organisation of the wedding?:)

Scott

I love the song "The Prayer" sung by Celine Dion and Pavorotti. (or is it Boccelli?) That song would make me sob as Maxima did.

Claire and Laurent entered on Tocatta e Fuga of Bach, a bit sinister it seems, but on the moment I though it ery nice.

Bach was a master of the fuge, or "fuga" depending on your language. Selecting that piece shows a fine taste in music. That's very heady stuff.:)

LaMinka said:
Have anyone videos of MM or Mathile walking down the aisle and leaving the church?

Märtha Louise walk down the aisle to "Eg er glad"(I are happy) of Svein Møller, a video: Inngang - bryllupsmarsj

Here is a video of when Märtha and Ari leave the church to Toccata of Charles-Marie Widor: Utgang - bryllupsmarsj

Wow! Thanks so much for these. It must have been a beautiful wedding, wish I had been inside the church.

Queen Beatrix and Claus entered on A toi la Gloire of Handel (Thou art the Glory) and they left under Purcells music ´Arrival of the Prince of Denmark´.

I just listened to Laer Meg A Kjenne Dine Veier and it's such a beautiful song. I would love to have it sung at my wedding.
could someone tell the the engish words for this song or where I could find it. Thanks

The song Lær meg å kjenne dine veier is written by Jakob Paulli, at least that's what google told me. The title translates directly to: Teach me to learn/know your roads.

When Crown Prince Haakon married Mette-Marit, I know that Mari Boine sang Mitt hjerte alltid vanker, in Sami for the couple. It is a psam written by Hans Adolph Brorson, and means My Heart always is with/goes with you. The choir sang, among other songs, For kjærligheten er sterk som dødsriket, which begins like this, I think, in English, Set me as a seal upon thy heart for love is strong as death.
And I'm not sure, but I believe their wedding march was specially composed for the wedding by a Norwegian composer.

Music played at the wedding of Prince Alexander zu Schaumburg-Lippe and Nadja Anna Zsoeks (June 30th, 2007):
MySpace.com - Music from our wedding - DE - Classical - www.myspace.com/musicfromourwedding

Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy

Symphonie No. 5 d-minor op. 107

IV. Choral "Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott":
Andante con moto - Allegro vivace – Allegro maestoso

Antonio Vivaldi

Concerto for Cello and Orchestra e-minor, RV 409

III. Lento Espressivo (alla Siciliana)

Richard Wagner

Wesendonck-Lieder

V. Träume

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Vesperae solennes de confessore, KV 339

Laudate Dominum Omnes Gentes

Chorale: Grosser Gott, wir loben dich

Orchestral Arrangement by Hermann Breuer

Johann Sebastian Bach

Orchestral Suite No. 3 D-Major BWV 1068

Ouverture

I love the song Frederik and Joachim entered the church on and I have not been able to find the song. I know the name of it (it escapes me at the moment) but I can't download the song anywhere.

I love the the music for Ps F and L wedding, it took my breath away.

could someone tell the the engish words for this song or where I could find it. Thanks

Lær meg å kjenne english translation:
Teach me to know your ways
and to walk them trustingly step by step
I know that what I own,
are borrowed goods, and everything is yours.
But if your strong hand guides me,
I will never see the wrong goal,
and for every hope that dies down here,
I will receive a greater hope in heaven.

Royal wedding music

I know Princess Diana came into St Paul's to The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke on her wedding Day, the Duchess of York walked to the altar of Westminster Abbey to Elgar's Imperial March but what did Princess Alexandra come in to when she got married back in April 1964, and what other music was played at the various royal wedding services?

I know Princess Diana came into St Paul's to The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke on her wedding Day, the Duchess of York walked to the altar of Westminster Abbey to Elgar's Imperial March but what did Princess Alexandra come in to when she got married back in April 1964, and what other music was played at the various royal wedding services?

I'm not sure but I think Princess Alexandra walked up the aisle to the hymn/anthem "Holy Holy Holy". I'm certain that piece of music was played at some point during the wedding and if you go on Youtube and look for "Holy Holy Holy hymn" you'll be able to see/hear it there.

The Halleluah (sic) Chorus from Handel's Massiah seems to be popular amongst European royalty for weddings as it was played at Willem-Alexanda;s and Maxima's wedding as well as Felipe's and Letizias.

Princess Anne walked up the aisle (for her first marriage) to a Hymn, but I cannot remember it's name - the music for it was the same as the German national anthem! She used the ever popular Widor's Toccata from Symphony No.5 for the recessional.

What an interesting idea for a new thread.:) I have just taken a look at a souvenir programme I have for the wedding of Princess Alexandra & can confirm the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy" was sung for the bridal procession. Princess Margaret also had a hymn sung for her procession - "Christ is made the sure Foundation". ) She processed out of the Abbey to the music of Purcell's "Trumpet Tune & Airs".) For the wedding of Charles & Diana, Diana processed to the "Trumpet Voluntary" by Jeremy Clarke (this was immediately followed by the same hymn as sung at Princess Margaret's wedding.) Charles & Diana processed out of the Cathedral to Elgar's wonderful "Pomp & Circumstance", followed by Walton's "Crown Imperial".:flowers:
I have been looking to see the music played for Princess Grace & have come across a reference to Bach's "Uxor Tua" & Purcell's "Alleluia", but I would be pleased if someone could confirm this.

The Queen Mum (then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) came in to 'Lead us, Heavenly Father, Lead us' on her wedding day. Princess Anne walked up the aisle to 'Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken (to the tune Austria, the tune of the German National Anthem). Lady Sarah Chatto had 'Ye Holy Angels Bright' as her bridal entrance piece.

No it isnt, but it resembles the piece a bit. Anyway, I would like to think that the piece was used for coronations and weddings before soccer even excisted.

I know that this piece was composed specially for the coronation of King George II and has been in use at every British coronation ever since then.

I loved the music chosen for Mary's and Frederik's wedding.

My favourite song was the trumpet and organ version of the Emperor's Fanfare (by Sntonio Soler) that was played when Queen Margrethe II entered the church.
I also love Zadock the Priest and Widor's "Toccata" that was played when the couple left the church.

Imo it's one of the most impressive organ compositions I've ever heard.
YouTube - Widor Toccata at Cathedral Basilica in Newark

I loved the music that was played when Sonja Haralsen entered the church: Henry Purcell's "Trumpet, tunes and air".
I would chose this composition for my own wedding as well ;).
YouTube - Henry Purcell :Trumpet Tune and Air

I am really curious what kind of music will be chosen for Victoria's wedding.

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe and her sister Princess Benedikte both used Sicut Cervus for their processionals in 1967 and 68. I think it's very pretty:

YouTube - Sicut Cervus

I think this song must have some special meaning to the Danish Royal Family, because it was also played at Queen Ingrid's funeral.

I love Charles-Marie Widor's Toccata. It's such a dramatic piece of music and perfect for a recessional. I hope Victoria uses it. As for a processional, I would love to hear the Imperial March by Elgar, which Sarah Ferguson used for her wedding to Prince Andrew.

Queen Sonja's processional music is really beautiful. I love Diana and Mary's processional songs as well. They were perfect. Like everyone I'm curious to hear what victoria will walk to.

Anyone know what Queen Elizabeth walked to?

I'm not sure but I think Princess Alexandra walked up the aisle to the hymn/anthem "Holy Holy Holy". I'm certain that piece of music was played at some point during the wedding and if you go on Youtube and look for "Holy Holy Holy hymn" you'll be able to see/hear it there.

The Halleluah (sic) Chorus from Handel's Massiah seems to be popular amongst European royalty for weddings as it was played at Willem-Alexanda;s and Maxima's wedding as well as Felipe's and Letizias.

Princess Anne walked up the aisle (for her first marriage) to a Hymn, but I cannot remember it's name - the music for it was the same as the German national anthem! She used the ever popular Widor's Toccata from Symphony No.5 for the recessional.

Oops, sorry, I got the year wrong for Princess Alexandra's wedding. She got married on 24 April 1963. Princess Anne also had Strauss's Radetzky March as her exit piece.

The music played at Charles and Diana's wedding were the following fanfares, hymns and anthems:

The first piece of music was 'Fanfare Royale', by Major W. Jackson (played by the State Trumpeters) FABULOUS!!!

During the bridal processional: 'Trumpet Voluntary (The Prince of Denmark's March)', by Jeremiah Clarke USED TO LOVE IT, NOT SO MUCH ANY MORE.

During the ceremony: 'Christ is made the sure Foundation', by Henry Purcell; 'I vow to thee my country', words by Sir Cecil Spring-Rice, music by Gustav Holst; 'I was glad', by Sir Hubert Parry; and 'Let the people praise thee', by William Mathias (specially composed for Diana and Charles's wedding)

During the signing of the register: 'March from the Overture to the Occasional Oratorio', by Handel as well as 'Let the Bright Seraphim', sung by Dame Kiri te Kanawa and 'Let their celestial concerts all unite', performed by the Bach Choir

During the recessional: 'Fanfare, Rejoicing', by Major A. Richards and 'Pomp and Circumstance, March No. 4 in G', by Edward Elgar A LESSER KNOWN "POMP"

The recessional fanfare at Charles and Diana's wedding was fabulous.

Princess Marina came into Westminster Abbey on 29 November 1934 to Stainer's hymn 'Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost' and she came out to the Bridal Chorus from Wagner's opera 'Lohengrin' (better known as 'Here Comes the Bride')

The processional for Diana - The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke is quite elegant in my opinion; written around the turn of the 18th century in 1700 or so. Interesting that Chumbawamba included a portion of it in their hit "TubThumping", and the Beatles included it in the fade-out of their song "It's All Too Much."

Regarding Mary and Frederick's wedding - I completely agree with a previous poster that "Toccata" by Widor is quite grand and an impressive pipe organ number - very befitting a wedding.

Hey there, Music Producer. Our organist at St. John's College Park plays the Widor after our Easter services every year. It is a GRAND piece!!!

Back
Top Bottom