Royal Wedding Music

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mary's music was called Zadok the Priest.It's very beautiful!
G.F.Händel (1685-1759): Zadok the Priest. Coronoation hymn for choir and orchestra.
This work was written for the coronation of King George II in London in 1727 and is one of the most magisterial choral works to be found in the traditional music of the Anglican church.

And the exitmusic was:
Charles-Marie Widor (1845-1937): Toccata 5. Organ symphony.

Since the wedding of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik in 1967, Mendelssohn's famous "Wedding March" has found itself in tough competition with this brilliant and virtuoso French organ piece.

I loved some of the music for William and Catherine, particularly "I Was Glad". My favourite was "This is The Day" composed by Rutter. It was so beautiful and the choir made it so angelic. As they did for "Ubi Caritas", which was also sung at Sophie and Edward's wedding but sounded so much nicer at William and Catherine's.

I was shocked that Mary chose "Zadok The Priest", which as we all know is normally used for British coronations, but it was her wedding day after all!

I loved Anne and Mark's and Edward and Sophie's choice of Widor's Toccata. I think that piece of music is so lovely, and it worked particularly well for Edward and Sophie's wedding set at St. George's Chapel, which is quite gothic.

They were trumpets ;)
I have to say I loved the entrance march, it was very dignified and solemn. Their exit music was great too, perfect for such a big church.

I am aware they are trumpets, I don't like too many horns of any kind trumpets or not.
Ubi Caritas at William and Kate's wedding was really beautiful. That is another musical event at their wedding that I had put on my iPod; it was just so haunting.

I don't see what was wrong with Mary's procession music, it was beautiful and awe inspiring. I don't know what the song was, but I also like the music that Letizia and Felipe left the church in, probably the best I have heard as of now. As to the British music, Fergie's procession music was just really bad. I preferred Kate's walk down the aisle to "I Was Glad" over Diana's music; but Charles and Diana's exit music was definitely much better than Will and Kate's. Victoria's procession music isn't all that great either, but I admit I am not a fan of the sound of too many horns being played.

Handel's Hallelujah
They leave the Cathedral at 6.15:
Boda Real /Spanish Royal Wedding (final) - YouTube

I really liked Victoria's fanfare - it was lovely and very fitting for the wedding of a crown princess. But I was disappointed with the music for the actual processional. I am not sure if it was the tune or simply how it was played, but, for me, it lacked grandeur.

Some one can tell when i can find the song played in entrance of princess Maxima wedding????

King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden walked in to "Sinfonia Di Chiesa" by J.H Roman and exited the church to "Sinfonia to Cantata No.29" by J.S Bach at their wedding in 1976.

Here is a clip from their wedding where a part of "Sinfonia di Chiesa" can be heard during the first 42 seconds http://youtu.be/pogenTOM--k

Here is "their" exit music http://youtu.be/rSFRNi9Nois

Last edited:
I loved Silvia and CG's exit music.It was also used at Fred and Mary's wedding.

This thread has killed my excitement for the "traditional" wedding march; if I ever get married I will not be walking down the aisle to "Here Comes The Bride"

Royal Wedding Music from Maxima Zorreguieta and HRH The Prince of Orange

Hello Everyone,

Would anyone be able to tell me the name and composer for all of the songs played during their wedding ceremony? I loved their wedding and it continues to be my favorite royal wedding.

Thank you so much!

MoniqueLouise

I think the appeal of 'Zadok' is that it builds up and erupts into this great shout of 'God Save the King/Queen' - which is lovely! I agree though, it's more of a Coronation anthem than a Wedding walk.

Zadok The priest is a British coronation anthem, and I think it odd that other of royal house use it. for example Mary and Fred used Zadok the Priest for Mary procession down the aisle. it must be a nod to the supremacy of the British commonwealth.

Zadok the Priest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I loved some of the music for William and Catherine, particularly "I Was Glad". My favourite was "This is The Day" composed by Rutter. It was so beautiful and the choir made it so angelic. As they did for "Ubi Caritas", which was also sung at Sophie and Edward's wedding but sounded so much nicer at William and Catherine's.

I was shocked that Mary chose "Zadok The Priest", which as we all know is normally used for British coronations, but it was her wedding day after all!

I loved Anne and Mark's and Edward and Sophie's choice of Widor's Toccata. I think that piece of music is so lovely, and it worked particularly well for Edward and Sophie's wedding set at St. George's Chapel, which is quite gothic.

I was shocked as well with the choice of Zadok the Priest. It is obviously a majestic piece but for a future King and Queen of Denmark to use such a famous British and Anglican coronation anthem as the centrepiece of their wedding is very out of place.
Does anyone know if the Danish press picked up on this choice of music?

I was shocked as well with the choice of Zadok the Priest. It is obviously a majestic piece but for a future King and Queen of Denmark to use such a famous British and Anglican coronation anthem as the centrepiece of their wedding is very out of place.
Does anyone know if the Danish press picked up on this choice of music?
I don't know how it is in Denmark, but in Sweden Zadok the Priest is not that uncommon as a wedding march, and I doubt anyone here thinks of it as a British coronation anthem, just as one other piece of music suitable for weddings.

I don't know how it is in Denmark, but in Sweden Zadok the Priest is not that uncommon as a wedding march, and I doubt anyone here thinks of it as a British coronation anthem, just as one other piece of music suitable for weddings.

It was written specifically for the coronation of King George II of Britain. It is only known as a coronation anthem. It is a stirring piece I agree but the symbolism could not have been lost on the DRF, that their CP was using one of the most famous pieces of British Royal music ever written.

Last edited:
It was written specifically for the coronation of King George II of Britain. It is only known as a coronation anthem. It is a stirring piece I agree but the symbolism could not have been lost on the DRF, that their CP was using one of the most famous pieces of British Royal music ever written.
Maybe it's only known in Britain and its dependencies as a coronation anthem, but in other countries it's known to be used as a wedding march. And didn't the prince of Wales and lady Diana Spencer use the Prince of Denmark's March during their wedding? As well as Charles can be seen as a descendant of the Danish royal house, Frederik can be seen as a descendant of the British royal house.

I agree that Zadok the Priest was an unexpected choice, however I do think it was enthralling to see her walk the down the isle to that beautiful piece of music. The "God Save the Queen" part in particular. I don't see a problem with them using it, did it hurt the BRF's feelings in any way?

Hey,

Sometimes ago, I went in a wedding nearby my town, there a wedding band performed. When I reached there it was just OK for me but sometime I could feel their music and their words. For me that band was perfect with great presence and great performance. That band was A Few Good Man, and its performing in weddings in Dublin and well known. You can find out them through: http://www.afewgoodmenband.com

I think the Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Madeleine had the most beautiful and moving entrance music.

For overall wedding liturgy music my favorites are-

1)William and Kate
2)Albert and Charlene-MINUS that awful South African "Click Song"! :eek:
3)Guillaume and Stephanie

I thought Madde and Chris' liturgy music was ruined by "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"...incredibly cheesy and bordering on inappropriate. Otherwise it was a lovely service.

Last edited:
I loved HGD Stephanie's entrance, it was both beautiful and sad the way her handsome big brother led her down the aisle to their aged, frail father for his blessing. But I didn't care for the Processional music at all, so just based on music alone I couldn't put Stephanie on my "best" list.

But her entrance was by far the most moving, imo.

Princess Victoria, the Princess Royal, the daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, married Prince Friedrich of Prussia in 1858. Mendelssohn's Wedding March was the recessional used by Victoria Adelaide.

Crown Imperial was the recessional music when Prince William and Catherine walked down the aisle at Westminster Abbey on their April 29, 2011 wedding day.

Royal Wedding Music from Maxima Zorreguieta and HRH The Prince of Orange

Does anyone know where can I find the wedding entrance music from the wedding of WA and Maxima? I know that it's called Jurriaan Andriessen- Entrata Della Regina, but I just can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know where can I find the wedding entrance music from the wedding of WA and Maxima? I know that it's called Jurriaan Andriessen- Entrata Della Regina, but I just can't find it anywhere.

Years ago I bought a CD of the music for the wedding but have lost it and I've been trying to find the music to download ever since.

Incidentally, I wouldn't mind having the music to Willem-Alexander's inauguration too.

Liked Victoria's entrance to the Duke of Glouchester's March. It gave the feel of a royal wedding, especially one of a future queen. Madeleine and Chris's recessional - loved the violins. Carl Phillip and Sofia - when Rihanna's "Umbrella" is played and the recessional is music from the movie "Sister Act", it turned a royal wedding into something common - and not in a good way.

I like the music played when Charlene entered at her wedding and also the african jig! So particular and yet so gleeful! I also liked Victoria's entrance music and Enya as Sofia made her way to the altar. Madeleine entering with thise sweet kids was very emotional as well!

CP Mary's entrance was truly majestic IMO. Best royal bridal entrance that I've seen.

I truly loved Princess Sofia's entrance to Enya. Not so crazy about the exit music. I get that every wedding has a theme and I liked the modern theme of this one.IMO it was beautiful in its simplicity but I would have liked another (very upbeat) exit piece.
WA and Maxima was one of my favourites.

Back
Top Bottom