The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

I love the song Frederik and Joachim entered the church on and I have not been able to find the song. I know the name of it (it escapes me at the moment) but I can't download the song anywhere.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Courtier

I love the the music for Ps F and L wedding, it took my breath away.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by msleiman View Post
could someone tell the the engish words for this song or where I could find it. Thanks
Lr meg kjenne english translation:
Teach me to know your ways
and to walk them trustingly step by step
I know that what I own,
are borrowed goods, and everything is yours.
But if your strong hand guides me,
I will never see the wrong goal,
and for every hope that dies down here,
I will receive a greater hope in heaven.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Nobility

Royal wedding music

I know Princess Diana came into St Paul's to The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke on her wedding Day, the Duchess of York walked to the altar of Westminster Abbey to Elgar's Imperial March but what did Princess Alexandra come in to when she got married back in April 1964, and what other music was played at the various royal wedding services?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
I know Princess Diana came into St Paul's to The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke on her wedding Day, the Duchess of York walked to the altar of Westminster Abbey to Elgar's Imperial March but what did Princess Alexandra come in to when she got married back in April 1964, and what other music was played at the various royal wedding services?
I'm not sure but I think Princess Alexandra walked up the aisle to the hymn/anthem "Holy Holy Holy". I'm certain that piece of music was played at some point during the wedding and if you go on Youtube and look for "Holy Holy Holy hymn" you'll be able to see/hear it there.

The Halleluah (sic) Chorus from Handel's Massiah seems to be popular amongst European royalty for weddings as it was played at Willem-Alexanda;s and Maxima's wedding as well as Felipe's and Letizias.

Princess Anne walked up the aisle (for her first marriage) to a Hymn, but I cannot remember it's name - the music for it was the same as the German national anthem! She used the ever popular Widor's Toccata from Symphony No.5 for the recessional.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Royal Highness

What an interesting idea for a new thread. I have just taken a look at a souvenir programme I have for the wedding of Princess Alexandra & can confirm the hymn "Holy, Holy, Holy" was sung for the bridal procession. Princess Margaret also had a hymn sung for her procession - "Christ is made the sure Foundation". ) She processed out of the Abbey to the music of Purcell's "Trumpet Tune & Airs".) For the wedding of Charles & Diana, Diana processed to the "Trumpet Voluntary" by Jeremy Clarke (this was immediately followed by the same hymn as sung at Princess Margaret's wedding.) Charles & Diana processed out of the Cathedral to Elgar's wonderful "Pomp & Circumstance", followed by Walton's "Crown Imperial".
I have been looking to see the music played for Princess Grace & have come across a reference to Bach's "Uxor Tua" & Purcell's "Alleluia", but I would be pleased if someone could confirm this.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Nobility

The Queen Mum (then Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) came in to 'Lead us, Heavenly Father, Lead us' on her wedding day. Princess Anne walked up the aisle to 'Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken (to the tune Austria, the tune of the German National Anthem). Lady Sarah Chatto had 'Ye Holy Angels Bright' as her bridal entrance piece.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Mary Donaldson's processional music was Handel's "Zadok the Priest."
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
No it isnt, but it resembles the piece a bit. Anyway, I would like to think that the piece was used for coronations and weddings before soccer even excisted.
I know that this piece was composed specially for the coronation of King George II and has been in use at every British coronation ever since then.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

I loved the music chosen for Mary's and Frederik's wedding.

My favourite song was the trumpet and organ version of the Emperor's Fanfare (by Sntonio Soler) that was played when Queen Margrethe II entered the church.
I also love Zadock the Priest and Widor's "Toccata" that was played when the couple left the church.

Imo it's one of the most impressive organ compositions I've ever heard.

I loved the music that was played when Sonja Haralsen entered the church: Henry Purcell's "Trumpet, tunes and air".
I would chose this composition for my own wedding as well .

I am really curious what kind of music will be chosen for Victoria's wedding.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Queen Margrethe and her sister Princess Benedikte both used Sicut Cervus for their processionals in 1967 and 68. I think it's very pretty:

I think this song must have some special meaning to the Danish Royal Family, because it was also played at Queen Ingrid's funeral.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love Charles-Marie Widor's Toccata. It's such a dramatic piece of music and perfect for a recessional. I hope Victoria uses it. As for a processional, I would love to hear the Imperial March by Elgar, which Sarah Ferguson used for her wedding to Prince Andrew.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Sonja's processional music is really beautiful. I love Diana and Mary's processional songs as well. They were perfect. Like everyone I'm curious to hear what victoria will walk to.

Anyone know what Queen Elizabeth walked to?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I'm not sure but I think Princess Alexandra walked up the aisle to the hymn/anthem "Holy Holy Holy". I'm certain that piece of music was played at some point during the wedding and if you go on Youtube and look for "Holy Holy Holy hymn" you'll be able to see/hear it there.

The Halleluah (sic) Chorus from Handel's Massiah seems to be popular amongst European royalty for weddings as it was played at Willem-Alexanda;s and Maxima's wedding as well as Felipe's and Letizias.

Princess Anne walked up the aisle (for her first marriage) to a Hymn, but I cannot remember it's name - the music for it was the same as the German national anthem! She used the ever popular Widor's Toccata from Symphony No.5 for the recessional.
Oops, sorry, I got the year wrong for Princess Alexandra's wedding. She got married on 24 April 1963. Princess Anne also had Strauss's Radetzky March as her exit piece.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

The music played at Charles and Diana's wedding were the following fanfares, hymns and anthems:

The first piece of music was 'Fanfare Royale', by Major W. Jackson (played by the State Trumpeters) FABULOUS!!!

During the bridal processional: 'Trumpet Voluntary (The Prince of Denmark's March)', by Jeremiah Clarke USED TO LOVE IT, NOT SO MUCH ANY MORE.

During the ceremony: 'Christ is made the sure Foundation', by Henry Purcell; 'I vow to thee my country', words by Sir Cecil Spring-Rice, music by Gustav Holst; 'I was glad', by Sir Hubert Parry; and 'Let the people praise thee', by William Mathias (specially composed for Diana and Charles's wedding)

During the signing of the register: 'March from the Overture to the Occasional Oratorio', by Handel as well as 'Let the Bright Seraphim', sung by Dame Kiri te Kanawa and 'Let their celestial concerts all unite', performed by the Bach Choir

During the recessional: 'Fanfare, Rejoicing', by Major A. Richards and 'Pomp and Circumstance, March No. 4 in G', by Edward Elgar A LESSER KNOWN "POMP"
Old 08-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Nobility

The recessional fanfare at Charles and Diana's wedding was fabulous.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Nobility

Princess Marina came into Westminster Abbey on 29 November 1934 to Stainer's hymn 'Gracious Spirit, Holy Ghost' and she came out to the Bridal Chorus from Wagner's opera 'Lohengrin' (better known as 'Here Comes the Bride')
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM

The processional for Diana - The Prince of Denmark's March by Jeremiah Clarke is quite elegant in my opinion; written around the turn of the 18th century in 1700 or so. Interesting that Chumbawamba included a portion of it in their hit "TubThumping", and the Beatles included it in the fade-out of their song "It's All Too Much."
Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Regarding Mary and Frederick's wedding - I completely agree with a previous poster that is quite grand and an impressive pipe organ number - very befitting a wedding.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hey there, Music Producer. Our organist at St. John's College Park plays the Widor after our Easter services every year. It is a GRAND piece!!!

Tags
music, royal weddings