Royal Wedding Music

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is list of music played at Crown Princess Victoria's and Prince Daniel's wedding on June 19, 2010 in Stockholm: Wedding Ceremony - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

The march when bride comes in with the King was The Duke of Gloucester's/Gloster's March, by Jeremiah Clarke. This didn't impress me so much, I expected something more.

Instead I love the march that was played when Victoria and Daniel walk out of the church: Praise the Lord with Drums and Cymbals by Siegfried Karg-Elert. Does someone find that piece from Youtube?

How did you like Victoria's wedding music in general? There was also other interesting pieces.

Wedding Music

Love this thread!

Chas and Diana's wedding was wonderful, beginning with the trumpets in the dome gallery. Lots of brass and orchestras to match the incredible pomp of the ceremony. Also Dame Kiri was fabulous. The hymns, the choirs, the brass. Everything was unbelievably beautiful and perfectly chosen. I practically swooned.

I loved the music for F & M's wedding, especially the "Zadok" (even if it's meant for a coronation, in a sense this was one: commoner to princess), and the "God Save the Queen" section was a magnificent tribute to Q M II! It is a spine tingling and gorgeous piece and in that church it must have been fantastic! There was also an impressive newly composed orchestral/choral piece that was most interesting as well.

The Widor Toccata for the recessional has been used and used and used, but it is so wonderful, "why not?"

I thought that the music for Letitizia's and Victoria's wedding were good as well, especially Letitzia's.

Pr. Chas & Camilla's music was sensational to me (I'm a musician). LOVED the Gretchaninov Creed. And all the music had personal significance to the Prince, who obviously knows and loves good music. Although it was much less spectacular than his first wedding, it made up for it in beauty, impeccable taste and perfection in performance.

PrincessJenni said:
Here is list of music played at Crown Princess Victoria's and Prince Daniel's wedding on June 19, 2010 in Stockholm: Wedding Ceremony - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

The march when bride comes in with the King was The Duke of Gloucester's/Gloster's March, by Jeremiah Clarke. This didn't impress me so much, I expected something more.

Instead I love the march that was played when Victoria and Daniel walk out of the church: Praise the Lord with Drums and Cymbals by Siegfried Karg-Elert. Does someone find that piece from Youtube?

How did you like Victoria's wedding music in general? There was also other interesting pieces.

I actually quite liked the Duke of Gloucester's march as well as the piece when they were leaving the church. I know they played her fanfare at the beginning but I thought it was a bit too long and it looked a bit awkward with everyone standing there. I also liked the hymns though not When You Tell the World You're Mine so much. It seemed a bit out of place and would have been better for the concert the night before. Just my opinion.

Hi Esmeralda: I so agree. The fanfare was over long and I also thought the "When You Tell the World You're Mine" was out of place and would have been better at the concert. I can see they were trying to bring in a youthful touch, but it was jarring to me. And I also liked the Karg-Elert recessional as did PrincessJenni.

Personally, I like a little pomp and "over-the-topness" on my royal weddings... that's why Charles and Diana's wedding will always stand out for me, including the music. The more metals, the better!

There's one person that's not excited about the wedding music in April - and that's the Queen's Composer, who was so looking forward to composing something for Prince William and his bride:

Royal wedding: Queen's composer refuses to watch after being overlooked - Telegraph

I guess I can understand why he would feel that way but there is no need for the attitude. William and Catherine music tastes are their own and while they didn't choose him, they didn't choose a lot of people dying to write music from them. He need to wake up and smell the hummus.....:D

I was Glad or Prince of Denmark's March?

I just wanted to throw this question out there and get some opinions. Which "here comes the bride" song did you like the most; Kate's "I Was Glad" or Diana's "Prince of Denmark March"?

Well for me it is I Was Glad. The Prince of Denmark's March/Trumpet Voluntary was magnificent when played at Charles and Diana's wedding and is a superb piece of processional music, but I Was Glad is not often heard and to use it for a wedding was wonderful and just as unusual as when Frederik and Mary used Zadok The Priest.

No contest " I Was Glad ". British composer words taken from one of the psalms, just right for a British Royal wedding. :flowers:

I Was Glad! No contest! Spine tingling and uplifting!

But then ,as a friend pointed out, which version of "I Was Glad " do we mean? He is right as there are 3 the first was written by Henry Purcell in the 1600's.
The version we heard at the Duke and Duchess of Cambridges wedding, is actually the secind version written by Parry ,(meaning he wrote two) the first starting so quietly that people did not know that the King EdwardVII ( I think ) had arrived.
Parry added the magnificent opening later. For me this final version with the full orchestra and organ is by far the best. :flowers:

Did any of you see the BBC 4 programme on the work of Hubert Parry - by Prince Charles ?

I'm sure it will be repeated more than once....

Yes, the first time . It was repeated again later on BBC 4, but some programmes from that channel are repeated on BBC2. There may also be chance to see it on BBC i player.
I knew quite a bit about Parry ,but didn't know that he had written symphonys.
"Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" was sung frequently at school, and "Jerusalem" was my school hymn. I had this sung at my wedding ,and it is a peice I have selected for when the time comes for my funeral, along with "I Was Glad".

Great, so my thread was put onto the end of the Royal wedding music thread which had nothing to do with my question. Anyway; so there are various versions of "I Was Glad" I'm not even going to try to find and distinguish these versions. How pathetic am I? I put Kate arriving at the church and walking down the aisle on my iPod! I have lost all semblance of cool.

Great, so my thread was put onto the end of the Royal wedding music thread which had nothing to do with my question. Anyway; so there are various versions of "I Was Glad" I'm not even going to try to find and distinguish these versions. How pathetic am I? I put Kate arriving at the church and walking down the aisle on my iPod! I have lost all semblance of cool.

" Lost all semblance of cool" Not at all !! :ohmy:

I think the music was the BEST part of the WillKat wedding...it was magnificent and moving and spiritual...just as a Royal wedding should be.

I especially loved the entrance processional "I Was Glad" and the a capella version of "Ubi Caritas et Amor"....soooo beautiful!

CP Victoria's wedding was perfectly romantic and beautiful, but some of the musical selections were more suitable to the reception than in Church.

I am a firm believer that only religious or classical music should be be performed in a house of worship...no pop tunes please.

Last edited:
I agree ! No pop tunes, I remember a friend telling me that she had been to a wedding where the bride came in to the music used for a TV show called " Match of the Day" which was a programme about football !! :ohmy:

I can't say if I am against church music; if a certain song is the bride's favorite of all time then I say play it. Speaking of music, I saw W*K's wedding on a cd at Barnes*Nobles. I admit I got bored during the ceremony because I think it went on too long with too much songs and praying, so I don't remember most of the songs.

The hymns were very beautiful and traditional and British.

I personally think it's impossible to have too much prayer at a wedding...especially a Royal wedding that is taking place in a Church.

Last edited:
I did get bored at William and Kates wedding, some of the selections were doozers, and I'm a great lover of classical and religious music. I think the Anthem I was Glad, has been played better before, especially at the Queen's Coronation where you can tell the people are singing their heart's out, but it was still romantic. The best wedding music wise was that of The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana, absolutely hands down the best, not one piece played at this wedding was boring, they all flowed together and made it a great musical experience!

Wow jonc93..Charles and Diana's wedding music bored me almost out of my mind. I hated Jeremiah Clarke's "Trumpet Voluntary" processional and it was all downhill from there.

I remember when Kiri Te Kwana(?) came on with that loong aria she was singing, I went to the kitchen for a snack LOL!

I love "I Was Glad" based on Psalm 122, and I have heard many versions of it...and I love mostly all of them.

Wow jonc93..Charles and Diana's wedding music bored me almost out of my mind. I hated Jeremiah Clarke's "Trumpet Voluntary" processional and it was all downhill from there.

I remember when Kiri Te Kwana(?) came on with that loong aria she was singing, I went to the kitchen for a snack LOL!

I love "I Was Glad" based on Psalm 122, and I have heard many versions of it...and I love mostly all of them.

Well, I really love classical music like what Kiri sang, that may be why I liked it all! lol The opening hymns Christ is made the sure foundation, was moving and lovely and great for an opening and I vow to the my country was lovely too, I thought. I liked trumpet voluntary, but it's been used so much since it's worn out!

Well first, I have a hard time paying attention in church. And when it comes to a wedding just need some "I do's", and then we go eat.
This was the first RW I had ever watched in its entirety and I kind of felt that when W*K sat down that the important part was over. Plus I hadn't slept for about 16hrs; all together equals not paying much attention.

Last edited:
When it comes to walking down the aisle,I loved Mette Marit,Victoria,Mary,Kate,and Maxima's.

I thought Letizia's song was not right to walk down the aisle.

I don't see what was wrong with Mary's procession music, it was beautiful and awe inspiring. I don't know what the song was, but I also like the music that Letizia and Felipe left the church in, probably the best I have heard as of now. As to the British music, Fergie's procession music was just really bad. I preferred Kate's walk down the aisle to "I Was Glad" over Diana's music; but Charles and Diana's exit music was definitely much better than Will and Kate's. Victoria's procession music isn't all that great either, but I admit I am not a fan of the sound of too many horns being played.

Mary's music was called Zadok the Priest.It's very beautiful!

I don't see what was wrong with Mary's procession music, it was beautiful and awe inspiring. I don't know what the song was, but I also like the music that Letizia and Felipe left the church in, probably the best I have heard as of now. As to the British music, Fergie's procession music was just really bad. I preferred Kate's walk down the aisle to "I Was Glad" over Diana's music; but Charles and Diana's exit music was definitely much better than Will and Kate's. Victoria's procession music isn't all that great either, but I admit I am not a fan of the sound of too many horns being played.
What song was played when Charles and Diana left the church?

Victoria's procession music isn't all that great either, but I admit I am not a fan of the sound of too many horns being played.

They were trumpets ;)
I have to say I loved the entrance march, it was very dignified and solemn. Their exit music was great too, perfect for such a big church.

Back
Top Bottom