Royal Wedding Invitations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Nobility
City
Lafayette
Country
United States
Hope any of the forum members can help with this question.

I've seen copies of the actual invitations for royal wedding events, but after searching the forums and internet, I haven't seen any of the mailing or inner envelopes.

I was interested in these because I am wondering - who exactly are the invitations addressed to when sent to other royal families? I have read many instances where The Prince of Wales and/or The Earl and Countess of Wessex have represented Queen Elizabeth II. So is the invitation sent to the monarch/head of house/highest ranking member of the family and they decide who will attend? At some weddings, several members of foreign royal families attend (the Jordanians at the Dutch weddings, The current and former reigning Grand Dukes of Luxembourg as well as Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg at Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding). Are there multiple individual invitations sent or do the RSVP "seven of us will attend" from the one invitation?

Lastly, at many of the weddings in the past several years, I haven't seen many representatives from the Liechtenstein royal family. Are they not invited or just don't attend?

Thanks for any response.

Rascal

Its probably protocol to send an invite to the Head Of State, Queen, King Grand Duke etc. Then she/he decides who will represent them.
If 2 or more are attending then the royal family will give a list of which royals attending.

I don't know about the Liechenstein royal family, they seem to be very quiet.

Lastly, at many of the weddings in the past several years, I haven't seen many representatives from the Liechtenstein royal family. Are they not invited or just don't attend?

The members of the Princely Family of Liechtenstein live rather privately; but they attend royal events.
Often members of the Princely Family attend events of the Belgian Royal Family and of the Grand Ducal Family of Lxemburg (in particular Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, and also Prince Philipp and Princess Isabelle).
I know that some member attended several royal and noble weddings in the last years:
several Princes attended the wedding of Philippe and Mathilde in 1999 and of Laurent and Claire of Belgium in 2003;
Nikolaus and Margaretha attended the weddings of Louis and Tessy of Luxembourg in 2006 and of Rodolphe and Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum in 2008;
Hans Adam and Marie and Nikolaus and Margaretha attended the wedding of Alberto and Xenia Matta-Maya (she was born Princess Galitzine, granddaughter of AD Rudolph of Austria) in 2007;
Gundakar and Marie attended the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Vendome last May.
These are the only weddings I can remember now; they mostly attend events regarding relatives of them.

The members of the Princely Family of Liechtenstein live rather privately; but they attend royal events.
Often members of the Princely Family attend events of the Belgian Royal Family and of the Grand Ducal Family of Lxemburg (in particular Prince Nikolaus and Princess Margaretha, and also Prince Philipp and Princess Isabelle).
I know that some member attended several royal and noble weddings in the last years:
several Princes attended the wedding of Philippe and Mathilde in 1999 and of Laurent and Claire of Belgium in 2003;
Nikolaus and Margaretha attended the weddings of Louis and Tessy of Luxembourg in 2006 and of Rodolphe and Marie Christine de Limburg Stirum in 2008;
Hans Adam and Marie and Nikolaus and Margaretha attended the wedding of Alberto and Xenia Matta-Maya (she was born Princess Galitzine, granddaughter of AD Rudolph of Austria) in 2007;
Gundakar and Marie attended the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Vendome last May.
These are the only weddings I can remember now; they mostly attend events regarding relatives of them.

Thanks MAfan (U2 lumutqueen!). I knew about some of these occassions (most likely because of the tie to Belgium through Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte and her daughter Margaretha's marriage to Nikolaus of Liechtenstein. Same for Marie and Gundakar at the Orleans wedding.)

There is another "by-marriage" connection. Alois of Liechtenstein wed Sophie of Bavaria. Her sister Caroline wed Philipp of Wurttemberg. So it is understandable that they would be at Bavarian and/or Wurttemberg weddings. However, at Fleur of Wurttemberg's wedding, Prince Max and Princess Angela were in attendance. I wouldn't expect them to not be friends but perhaps the most private Liechtenstein couple attending this wedding? Was Max very good friends with Fleur?

Also, I'm not totally sure, but it appears there were not Liechtenstein representatives at the 60th birthday celebrations of Carl XVI Gustaf nor the 70th birthday celebrations of Harald V. Is it possible they were invited and just chose not to attend/send representatives? Or were they not invited at all? If so, why the "snub" by the Scandinavian countries?

Finally, considering the absence from the birthday occasions, could we expect there to be no Liechtenstein representation at the wedding CP Victoria or Princess Madeleine later this year?

Rascal

Thanks MAfan (U2 lumutqueen!). I knew about some of these occassions (most likely because of the tie to Belgium through Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte and her daughter Margaretha's marriage to Nikolaus of Liechtenstein. Same for Marie and Gundakar at the Orleans wedding.)

There is another "by-marriage" connection. Alois of Liechtenstein wed Sophie of Bavaria. Her sister Caroline wed Philipp of Wurttemberg. So it is understandable that they would be at Bavarian and/or Wurttemberg weddings. However, at Fleur of Wurttemberg's wedding, Prince Max and Princess Angela were in attendance. I wouldn't expect them to not be friends but perhaps the most private Liechtenstein couple attending this wedding? Was Max very good friends with Fleur?

Also, I'm not totally sure, but it appears there were not Liechtenstein representatives at the 60th birthday celebrations of Carl XVI Gustaf nor the 70th birthday celebrations of Harald V. Is it possible they were invited and just chose not to attend/send representatives? Or were they not invited at all? If so, why the "snub" by the Scandinavian countries?

Finally, considering the absence from the birthday occasions, could we expect there to be no Liechtenstein representation at the wedding CP Victoria or Princess Madeleine later this year?

Rascal

At the 60th birthday of King Carl XVI. Gustaf was present and also at the Wedding of Felipe and Letizia. At the Wedding of Frederik and Mary Prince Wenzeslaus was on the guestlist. At the norwegian Events the where not invited as it was said that there where no relations between the Families.
At the Wedding of Duchess Elizabeth in Bavaria and Daniel Terberger both the Princely as the Hereditary Pricnely Couple attended. At the Wedding of her sister Anna the Hereditary Pincely Couple was present as the bride was a sister of the Hereditary Princess. Allois and Sophie also attended the Wedding of Willem-Alexander and Maxima.

Thanks, Stefan! :)

BTW has anyone seen the addressed envelopes or know where I may look for copies/pics of them?

Rascal

Number of invitations and to whom

I originally posted this in the "musings" thread specific to CP Victoria and Daniel Westling, but it perhaps is more appropriate here. I would appreciate any information from anyone who may know. THANKS!

For those of you know...were individual invitations sent to each of these people/couples or is just one invitation sent to the head of the royal house and they decide who will attend?

In the British case, was one invitation sent to QEII and she decided that Edward and Sophie would attend and represent her while the others declined or were individual invitations sent to and declined by the POW & DOC, William, Harry, etc.?

I ask because I don't recall a confirmation for Prince Ali & Princess Rym of Jordan attending, only King Abdullah and Queen Rania. As Ali and Victoria have been fairly close in the past, I would have thought that he and his wife would have received a separate invitation. If so, would King Abdullah have "forbid" them from attending (strange since they attended CG's 60th bday party)? And if they did not receive a separate invite, it seems strange knowing the warm relations with Victoria that King Abdullah would not include Ali and Rym in the Jordanian representation.

Rascal

I would presume that invitations were sent seperately to all 6 invitees. Then when Charles and Camilla decided not to attend, Edward and Sophie became "representatives of the Queen".
I don't think it would have been forbade for them to attend the reason, there is no reason my multiple members of the same family to attend the events, it is possible that they haven't publically confirmed or they are not attending for some reason.

....it is possible that they haven't publically confirmed or they are not attending for some reason.

Thanks for the response, Lumutqueen. I also thought that they may have not publicly confirmed and am hoping as much. If there was another reason I would hope it would be something like another pregnancy or another good reason and not something involving poor health or poor relations within the Jordanian family.

I like the simple design of the invitations to the wedding of Victoria and Daniel - regal and elegant. Are there any pictures of the invitations to the weddings of the other crown princely couples? What about photos of the 'order of service' booklet?

Can anyone send an image of any British Royal wedding invitation. I'm working on a project and need to know specifically how they are worded. How will Prince William and Kate Middleton's invitation read?

You are more fortuante than I! I am searching for any image of British Royal wedding invitations within the last hundred years. Can you send an image to me or let me know where I can find one? I am particularly interested in how the invitation for Prince William's wedding will be worded.

I once found a picture of the Prince Andrew wedding invitation online, but it was a totally unrelated search and I can't remember what I'd been looking for so I could find it again ... anyway, it looked like this one:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40602000/jpg/_40602235_invite203.jpg

and I'm pretty sure it started:
"The Lord Chamberlain is commanded by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to invite _______________________________ to the Marriage of ... "

But if the invitations are issued by Clarence House, then they'll look like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2665164858_d5185991b9.jpg

Edit: Found it!
http://images.denhams.com.s3.amazonaws.com/375/375lot847.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the links. This was a big help to me. I guess I was expecting something a bit more unusual. Do you think the wedding invitation will come from the Queen and Duke or from Prince Charles or Charles and Camilla?

Also thought you might be interested in an event here in the States. One of our local museums, the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, Virginia is hosting a royal wedding reception in honor of William and Kate. Military Aviation Museum: Home
Seems they will be inviting the royal couple but I doubt they'll attend this on their honeymoon!!!

i have purchased several on ebay, so you might find some images there.

Actually I found all of them very boaring, with all the technology of today, creativity I think we could fins invitatins more originally and exiting!

Actually I found all of them very boaring, with all the technology of today, creativity I think we could fins invitatins more originally and exiting!

I see what you mean and to some extent I agree with you, but I think protocol and tradition are considered more important than originality and creativity.

I see what you mean and to some extent I agree with you, but I think protocol and tradition are considered more important than originality and creativity.

I love protocol and tradtion but I like creativity too, her is an example of weddings invitations tht I think would have suit them but of course that it is my taste! I had beautiful invitaitons in my wedding and now looking for my daughter birthday I found this ones, I was upset I did no find this one when I got married eventhough I had nice invitations I thoguht this ones are superb!

Scroll Wedding Invitations, ScrollWeddingInvitations.com

I for one am glad that they chose the ones they chose...

Last edited:

Yes, protocol and tradition plays a large part. Maybe one day someone will design an invitation that conforms to protocal and tradition with a little twist.

From what we've been seeing here, in bits and pieces, the royal invitations are made by a special engraving process that is at least a couple of centuries old. I expect it's expensive enough just to have best quality card stock. Adding furbeloes to those traditional invitations just doesn't seem right - but I keep hearing that Kate doesn't want a terribly extravagant wedding (!)

I was wondering how much professional calligraphers might charge in the U.K. to address all those invitations - it's quite expensive here. The personalized touch of writing in each invitee's name is well worth it, I think, but I doubt that those companies who cater to we common folk would find it hard to allow for such an option (the paper has to be just right - it cannot be to thin and porous).

Myself, I would have been ecstatic with the invitations that they chose.

I personally liked William and Catherine's wedding invitations. Victoria and Daniel's, too!

Are there any pictures of Frederick and Mary's, and William-Alexander and Maxima's wedding invitations?

Hello Everyone, I am Evanssstephan & it's my first post. I have joined this wedding forum to contribute here own views about royal wedding invitation.

This is such an invitation. There were several ones: for the pre-wedding ball, for the concert in the Royal Concertgebouw, for the National Wedding Celebration in the Amsterdam ArenA, for the marriage ceremony, for the blessing service, for the déjeuner (lunch), etc.

Here is one for the déjeuner. The gold application (depicting the royal arms) and the perchment paper project not so well on this picture. It reads in Dutch:

BY COMMAND OF

HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
AND
HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS PRINCE CLAUS OF THE NETHERLANDS

THE GRANDMASTER HAS THE HONOUR TO INVITE

MR AND MRS BOLL-KRUSEMAN

TO THE DÉJEUNER FOR THE OCCASION OF THE WEDDING OF
HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE PRINCE OF ORANGE
AND
MS MÁXIMA ZORREGUIETA
ON SATURDAY 2 FEBRUARY 2002 AFTER THE BLESSING SERVICE IN THE NIEUWE KERK
IN THE ROYAL PALACE AMSTERDAM

REQUESTING TO RETURN
THE ATTACHED REPLY
BEFORE 1 DECEMBER 2001

Such an invitation is part of a thick envelope with instructions, a seating arrangement, a security badge, a parking label, a transport card (for the shuttle between the parking and the venue), an attachment to respond on the invitation with the necessary extras (copy of ID, etc.). This invitation had no dresscode but because these were for guests in the Nieuwe Kerk, the dresscode was already mentioned on the invitation for the blessing service ("Heren: donker pak, Dames: middagjapon en hoed" / "Gentlemen: dark suit, Ladies: mid-day dress and hat")

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom