Royal Wedding Dresses on Display

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pdas1201 said:
Here is a photo of the wedding gown worn by Princess Mary, Princess Royal. She was the only daughter of Queen Mary and King George V.

Since the pic of the wedding gown on the mannequin isn't very clear. I am attaching Princess Mary's wedding photo. So, you can make out (vaguely) what the gown really looked like.
Thank you for the photos. That is a very beautiful wedding dress. In my opinion, a lot of the 'older' dresses look more elegant than some of the ones in vogue today.

The dresses of Queen Sofia, of the Infantas Elena and Cristina and of Princess Letizia will be exhibited in Spain.

Posted by Elsa M. at the Spanish Royal Family Picture Thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052&page=2

Elsa M. said:
From ABC:

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050316/prensa/noticias/Gente/Gente/200503/16/NAC-GEN-102.asp

The wedding gowns belonging to the Royal Family will be exhibited at the Palace of Aranjuez, according to an announcement made yesterday by the president of the National Patrimony, Álvaro Fernández-Villaverde, Duke of San Carlos.

The idea is that the wedding gowns of the Queen, the Princess of Asturias and Infantas Elena and Cristina were exhibited, along with the suits worn on that day by the King and Don Felipe, in a great gallery, that will be placed at the Museo de la Vida of the Palace of Aranjuez.

Although the date when these dresses will be incorporated to the museum is not known yet, it's probable that the public will be able to contemplate them before next summer.

This way, it will be possible to admire the dress of satin silver-plated, covered with embroider and tulle that was designed by the Greek couturier Jean Dessés and worn by Doña Sofía on the 14th of May 1962, when she married Don Juan Carlos in Athens.

It will be also exhibited the gown worn by Doña Elena on the 18th of March 1995, when she married Jaime de Marichalar (a design of Petro Valverde in organza of silk, in ivory color and covered with embroiders), as well as the dress that Infant Doña Cristina took on the 4th October 1997, when she married Iñaki Urdangarín (and which was made by Lorenzo Caprile, in Spanish silk and silver embroiders).

To them it will be added the ones worn by the Prince and Princess of Asturias, on the past 22nd of May: the one of Doña Letizia, designed by Manuel Pertegaz, and the one of Don Felipe, made by Cecilio Serna.

agisele said:
are there any other photos of Princess Mary's wedding dress on display? i can't seem to view the ones that have already been posted.

Here it is...

#4. Closer look at the veil, previously worn by Princess Margaret (Queen Margrethe's grandmother), Queen Ingrid, Queen Margrethe, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Princess Benedikte, Princess Alexandra of Berleburg, and Princess Alexia of Greece.

www.polfoto.dk

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6606/6wa01kzvguest27xn.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7275/6wa01l02guest16zi.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1262/6vw01kfpguest21dv.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4519/6wa01kzxguest23vf.jpg

Last edited:
thanks pdas for answering my question about your avatar, and thanks for posting lovely pix everyone. The dresses are beautiful--every last one of them, it's just great to see so much detail

Anna_R said:
The dresses of Queen Sofia, of the Infantas Elena and Cristina and of Princess Letizia will be exhibited in Spain.

Posted by Elsa M. at the Spanish Royal Family Picture Thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052&page=2

thanks for info!

i cant wait see HM Queen Sofia and her 2 daughters and Princess Letizia's wedding dresses i wanted know when display their dress? June? July?

Sara Boyce

Oh, I hope someone takes pictures of this display. That will be interesting and beautiful.

diana's dress just sold for over 2 million

lamass said:
diana's dress just sold for over 2 million
Are you referring to Diana's wedding gown or some other dress?

i heard somewhere, that it was pieces of the dress. the actual dress is, or was, at one point anyway, on tour/display somewhere and is still in the hands of her family. the pieces that were sold, or so they're called were pieces from the ppl who designed her dress, and they gave them to someone, and that someone sold them. so, i don't think the actual dress was sold, namely due to historical/pop cultural/sentimental reasons; but if it were ever sold, it would probably go for well over 5 million. just mho.

An article in italian about the royal wedding dresses.

http://www.sposiamoci.it/nozzereali.asp

They have made to dream million persons: the wedding of the real ones of all the world, fables from film, as those celebrated between Grace Kelly and Prince Ranieri di Monaco, or history from the dramatic end, like for Carl d' England and Lady Diana. To you to choose the wedding of the century

2004 Frederick of Denmark
and Mary Donaldson
Copenaghen, 14 May
Prince Frederick of Denmark and the Australian Mary Donaldson
have said yes.
The beautiful fable of the bourgeois small could not have a better
end. Mary, young lawyer 32enne, been born in Tasmania, it has married prince Frederick having become therefore the first
Australian never risen to the honor of being online hereditary for a
throne. Dress of satin white man long Irish lace pearl and veil for she, uniform of gala of Navy for the prince, the wedding of the year has been carried out in the cathedral of
Copenaghen.

2003 Emanuele Filiberto
and Clotilde Courau
Rome, 25 september
In the church of Saint Maria of the Angels in Rome the French
attrice and wedding of rampollo of house Savoia Emanuele Filiberto
Clotilde Courau have been kept. A wedding between originality and tradition, the scene é same of the wedding ceremony of the greats-grandfather
Vittorio Emanuele III and Queen Elena di Montenegro.
Hosts of the incoronate spouses little witness but many friends.
Clotilde, Maria of the Angels to flank of the father has entered in Saint. Dressed in a beautifulst dress style empire, with four meters of veil, in georgette of silk white woman, impreziosita of peaks and embroiderys and signed Valentino, accompanied from notes of the majestic Allegro of Corelli Angel.
Beautiful and affected, with the hand on the pancione the entire ceremony with the eyes has
lived polishes and sorridente.

1999 Edoardo d' England
and Sophie Rhys-Jones
Castle of Windsor, 19 june
The spouse: Edoardo has been the only one of the three sons of Queen Elisabetta to
go to the altar in tight from day and not in uniform, with vest and bicolored shirt. The spouse: Sophie Rhys-Jones, that it is similar the Diana passing very, it wore a dress in organza and leaks, with long sleeves and I unglue to tip. Like hairdo the tiara, as jewels a pearl thread white women with pendant to cross. It invites you to the ceremony, that it has been carried out to the 17,00, they had to already wear the evening dress, because from the nail head they have headed then to knows it from
dance of the castle.

1999 Filippo of Belgium
and Mathilde d' Udekem d' Acoz
Brussels, 4 Decembers
The spouse: ventisei years, beautiful and statuaria (it is high 1 meter and 76), it belongs to one of the most ancient and noble families of Belgium. Before 5 sons, it has grown in Vallonia, then it has been moved to Brussels where study of logopedia in order
curing the children with language problems has opened one. Mathilde knew the future Filippo spouse four years before the wedding
to one festivity. The dress: in Biancaneve style, with one train of five meters, signed from the Belgian designer Edouard Vermeulen. The veil was the same one that Paola of Belgium, mother of Filippo, it wore in day of its wedding. The tiara of diamonds it was donated from Queen Elisabetta to Astrid
of Belgium.

1997 Infanta Cristina di Borbone
and Inaki Urdangarin
Barcelona, 4 October
The dressed one: much simple one, signed from the Italian-Spanish Lorenzo Caprile. On hats one mantiglia of the ight hundred stopped from the same one
diadema worn from the Sofia mother for its wedding. The first encounter: to the Olympic Games di Atlanta. Inaki, with its square of pallamano, it gained the bronze: it was just the infanta to reward the square. Gossip: the king never was not seen sorridere to the wedding of the daughter. It seems was most contrary to this I generate Basque and without one
drop of blue blood.

1995 Prince Paul of Greece
and Marie-Chantal Miller
London, 1 July
The dressed one: created from Valentino, it demanded the collaboration of 25 knows you for four months of
working. The veil, of 5 meters, it was sormontato from a diadema adorned of butterflies, like augury of good fortune. The spouses: she, American, she is the daughter of the king of the duty free. He, son of the former king Costantino, it is become related with all the real ones of Europe. The lunch: mix between Greek specialties and Americans with lobsters of the
Maine, kidskin and lamb to the live coal.

1993 Prince Naruhito of Japan
and Masako Owada
Tokio, 9 june
The dressed one: composed from twelve kimono various for a total of 12 chili. Heavy trick with powder white woman, collected hats and deal to you with camelia oil. After the shintoista ceremony Masako it wore a dress white man and a
diadema of diamonds. The spouse: woman manager with two lauree, able to speak 5 languages. One says that it has resistito in order very six years to the court of
the prince: to the end surrendered.

1986 Prince Andrea
and Sarah Ferguson
London, 23 July
The dress of the spouse was color cream: the verginale white man in fact was not suited to "lively" the Sarah. The cake was high five plans, on which they were represents the Sunflowers to you of Van Gogh, the winged Pegaso, the abbey of Westminster: it was made in two copies, for fear that was broken off.

1981 Prince Carl
and Diana Spencer
London, 29 July
Transmitted in directed television and seen from 750 million
persons. Numbers: 100 chili the weight of the cake; the 500.000 fan in road; 300 million for the flowers; the all in cost of the wedding? 125 billions of Liras. The dressed one: rigorously made in England in silk taffeta: the 10 sottogonne and 7 meters of length of the tempestato veil of
paillettes of nacre.

1978 King Hussein of Jordan
and Lisa Halaby
Amman, 15 june
The dressed one of the spouse, signed Dior, it was in leaks of silk with bell sleeves. The ritual: short, according to the tradition Muslim, and for little intimate ones. In the course of the ceremony the Lisa American the name of Noor to
the Hussein taken (the light of Hussein) and the king proclamò the
Queen. The cake: to 12 plans, the spouse cut the first slice with the sword of the husband, commander of the army.

1962 Juan Carlos di Borbone
and Sofia of Greece
Atene, 14 May
The dressed one: created from the Parisian Jean Dessés it was of lamè of covered of
tulle white man and adorned silver with peak of Brussels. The ritual: us the pantry of Pope Giovanni XXIII wanted in order to make to marry
the catholic "Juanito" and the orthodox Sofia. In the same morning two ceremonies in two various cathedral of Atene
were carried out therefore. The cupido: Federica, mother of the spouse and the poor Queen of Europe. After the refusal of Harald of Norway, of which Sofia it was most in love, it found endured for the daughter the richest prince of Borbone.

1960 Prince Margaret
and Tony Armstrong-Jones
London, 6 May
The dressed one: simplest, without embroiderys neither peaks, some thirty of meters of organza of silk was formed from one, it had I unglue it to V, the tightened life, single the wide skirt and a meter of train. It was created from Hartnell, the taylor of the Windsor. The gifts: at least 5,000 the equipment: Margaret was made to manifacture from Dior and Dessés the dresses
that would have worn on the Britain yacht during the travel of
wedding.

1956 Prince Ranieri
and Grace Kelly
Monaco, 19 you open them
The dressed one: made in USA it was created from the costumista of Hollywood Helen
Roses and was constituted from one corpetto in ancient peak and one
skirt in taffeta. Former Deus machina: Francis Ticker, the confessore American of Ranieri, it arranged the wedding for giving lustro the principato one. The great absent: all the real ones of Europe, comprised the Windsor.

1947 Elisabetta d' England
and Filippo Mountbatten
London, 20 November
The dressed one: of Hartnell, the king of knows to you London, it was decorated with 10.000 pearls. For the veil they only served 100 miles of silk thread. The phrase: "I will not be never only a prince to the shadow of the throne", therefore Filippo declared before marrying itself.

1937 Edoardo di Windsor
and Wallis Simpson
Candé (France), 3 june
The dressed one: tightened and long, according to the fashion then, in blue silk leaks, it was created from the Mainbocher American. The ceremony: civilian, because it was in third wedding, and much intimate one, with solo sixteen persons. In fact the Windsor had interrupted every relationship with Edoardo
after that it had clamorously rinunciato to the throne in order to
marry one divorced, Wallis exactly. The equipment: the spouse was most elegant and had in its trunks 66 dresses (all with
accessories) of Chanel and Schiaparelli.

1930 Umberto di Savoia
and Josè Maria of Belgium
Rome, 8 January
The dressed one: in velvet white man with a heavy cape embroidered in gold, it was designed from the same Umberto. The festivity: the ceremony was celebrated to the morning, in the Paolina nail head, to the Quirinale. The evening was a great dance for cinquemila persons. Gossip: the spouse was not for null sweetheart and sopportava the real
Italians much to confidare to its per diem one: "I would better have made to escape the first night of wedding".

1903 Duca Alberto di York
and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
London, 26 you open them
The spouses: he, the future king George YOU, taken to the throne in place of the Edoardo brother that, in the ' 36, it abdicated for love. She: she is the Queen mother, amatissima from English, protagonist of a century of English history inasmuch as in 2000 he
catches up the goal of the 100 years. Gossip: pare che Elizabeth fosse innamorata di Edoardo e che per questo odiasse la cognata Wally Simpson.

Thank you so much, rchainho, for taking the time to translate the article. I loved reading it, especially Wallis Simpson and Maria Jose of Belgium. As the dresses of these two are not talked about very often.

An article in Italian! :)

The last sentence is still in Italian. Let me translate it:

It seems that Elizabeth was in love with Edward. For this reason she hated her sister-in-law, Wallis Simpson.

ElisaR said:
It seems that Elizabeth was in love with Edward. For this reason she hated her sister-in-law, Wallis Simpson.
I read about that in Kitty Kelley's The Royals. The Queen Mum had always blamed the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's actions for pushing George VI onto the throne just in time for WWII leading to his early death. Wallis countered saying that Elizabeth was just jealous because she had been interested in Edward, not Bertie. Other sources say she was in love with the Earl of Moray, and Queen Mary and the Countess of Strathmore arranged for the Earl to be shipped off to Oklahoma, allowing for Elizabeth to accept Bertie's proposal.

msfroyste said:
i heard somewhere, that it was pieces of the dress. the actual dress is, or was, at one point anyway, on tour/display somewhere and is still in the hands of her family. the pieces that were sold, or so they're called were pieces from the ppl who designed her dress, and they gave them to someone, and that someone sold them. so, i don't think the actual dress was sold, namely due to historical/pop cultural/sentimental reasons; but if it were ever sold, it would probably go for well over 5 million. just mho.
Thanks! I couldn't imagine them selling something of such historical value since Diana is now deceased. Those who did not have a chance to experience her when she was alive will at least be able to get somewhat of an idea of the kind of person she was. I really do miss her:(

Rchainho, I thoroughly enjoyed reading that translation. Some of those comments were postively scandalous:D

I tried find Wedding dress display of Sophie,Countess of Wessex when she got married to Prince Edward in June 1999 in Getty Images if you would post that pictures!

Sara Boyce

sara1981 said:
I tried find Wedding dress display of Sophie,Countess of Wessex when she got married to Prince Edward in June 1999 in Getty Images if you would post that pictures!

Sara Boyce

Mandy has already posted pics of Countess of Wessex's wedding dress on the first page

Last edited:
Mandy said:
Mette-Marit's wedding gown on display.
Mette's wedding gown is the most beautiful one in my opinion, always nice to have a look at it's picture....I like it's simple shape and it's tisue texture make it looks sooo elegant:)

just wondering about the dress - ownership

How did her family get possession of the dress? Why does the dress not belong to her children or the Royal family?

Has Princess Letizia's dress been put on display yet?

This thread has been completely converted to an ImageShack account now so that no images have been directly attached to the forum in an effort to conserve bandwidth.

It would be greatly appreciated if any newly-discovered images from this point forward would be hosted via a private image hosting account such as
Photobucket or Imageshack.

Please also review the images already posted and not re-post the exact same images over and over.

Please note that images which are attached directly to the forum are subject to removal by an Administrator or SuperModerator without notice to the member.

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter so that we can all continue to enjoy images of our favourite royals.

The TRF Team

Back
Top Bottom