Royal Wedding Cakes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten

November 20, 1947

The wedding cake was made by Peak Freans from ingredients sent by the Girl Guides, Rangers, and Brownies of Australia. The cake had 4 tiers supported by silver pillars, stood 9 feet high and weighed 500 pounds.

The cake was intricately decorated with armorial bearings of the Princess and Lieutenant Mountbatten and depicts scenes from their lives on the bottom two tiers.

Cake Ingredients

56 lb. bag icing sugar
79 lb. castor sugar
50 lb. bag flour
6 tins powdered milk, 6 lb.
10 oz. ground cinnamon
10 oz. mixed spice
6 bottles essence lemon
1 tin almond meal, 28 lb.
60 lb. sultanas
10 lb. lemon peel
15 lb. seeded raisins
10 lb. crystallised cherries
12 lb. currants
7 lb. self raising flour
1 bottle Australian brandy
20 lb. brown sugar
10 lb. almond kernels
12 dozen eggs
30 lb. butter

www.gettyimages.com

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/5978/elizabethandphilipcake5da.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/3307/elizabethandphilipcake20sv.jpg
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/4551/elizabethandphilipcake38de.jpg

Last edited:
Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz

May 22, 2004

The Prince of Asturias cake consists of a base of almond sponge under several colourful layers – a passion fruit crème, raspberry sauce and rice pudding mousse – symbolising the Spanish national flag.

Topping the sweet creation, a combination of symbols representing everything from the city where the nuptials took place – Madrid – to the number of children the prince and future princess might have (the Prince mentioned he wishes to have between two to five children):)

Among the decorations completing the cake is the Prince of Asturias coat of arms, the shield of the royal house, two wedding rings and a pair of blooms representing the bride and groom. And finishing off the array of symbols are four smaller flowers.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/5221/felipeandletizia1mp.jpg

Last edited:
My absolute favourite is Elizabeth II´s wedding cake. Very exquisite. I also liked The Earl and Countess of Wessex´s wedding cake. The wedding cakes of Letizia/Felipe and Maxima/Willem-Alexander, on the other hand, look extremely dull (I am sure they were delicious, though).

Wow...Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia's cake is certainly unique.
Not that pretty though.

cakes, cakes, cakes

has there ever been a cake to fall over at a wedding......9' and weighing 300 lbs..pretty heavy.
another subject. the cake i like best charles & diana's cake.. very pretty

princessvalondra said:
Why do the Jordan royals have two wedding cakes?
because they usually have two receptions, one is more public and the other private.

Great pictures guys!

My favorite cake is Princess Noor's and Prince Hamzah's. I liked both of them, but my very favorite is the first one. It's very pretty simple and elegant. It looks like something that I would choose for my own wedding.

I would really appreciate if someone could find and post pics from the Royal Family weddings in Belgium--Philippe and Mathilde, Laurent and Claire, Astrid and Lorenz, Paola and Albert and Fabiola and Baudouin.
Also, any others will be very much appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

~*~Humera~*~ said:
because they usually have two receptions, one is more public and the other private.
I just can't understand why they perform 2 receptions,are the 2 ceremonies in one day(like rania and abdullah)or the day after the public wedding(like hamzah and noor)?so what was that official marriage of hamzah in september???:confused:

My favourite is Elizabeth II's.
I wonder if they managed to cut such a heavily decorated cake without destroying it. I read they used Philip's sword: perhaps this added more problems.

cute_girl said:
I just can't understand why they perform 2 receptions,are the 2 ceremonies in one day(like rania and abdullah)or the day after the public wedding(like hamzah and noor)?so what was that official marriage of hamzah in september???:confused:
Humera, explained about the two receptions very well at another thread. Here I will attach it to this post, so you can understand.

Here is her reply:

well so did princess noor and many other members of the royal family. I don't if it is the same in the Middle East, but in Pakistan, for example, after the wedding reception, there's another reception called the "Valimah" That's also an islamic tradition. The Valimah is given the next day or couple of days after the wedding by the groom's family. And so Pakistani brides, too, get to wear everything (dress, shoes, jewels etc) and so do the friends and family of the bride and groom. Im sure Rania didn't wear two dresses to waste money.

What about the fillings or flavors of the cakes? I rarely hear anything about those, if any at all. Anyone have any information?

Well, most of those ornately decorated British royal wedding cakes would have been a heavy fruit cake (which isn't the same as American fruit cake because it doesn't have all that candied melon and pineapple and other assorted sweet stuff in it - maybe a few candied cherries for colour, but that's about it; mostly it's currants, sultanas, raisins, and sliced almonds) covered with marzipan and royal icing (made of powdered sugar and egg white). Cakes like that have a shelf life of months to years, so the bakers and pastry chefs can take weeks or months decorating them. For cakes like the one described for Felipe and Letizia, which are made of perishable ingredients, the decoration has to be something that can be done quickly, which accounts for the relatively plain appearance. I think the Earl and Countess of Wessex had a cake with a fairly short shelf-life (it was chocolate or something) and again the decoration was rather plain by comparison with other British wedding cakes. This sort of cake is becoming more popular these days; it would have been unusual a few years ago but nowadays a more dessert-like cake made with chocolate or fruit mousses and decorated with fresh flowers or something else rather simple is much more common.

Back
Top Bottom