Royal Wedding Cakes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The jordanian wedding cakes are great i love it

the cake from last photo is such... WOW. The little cakes are perfect, and the bigger one is simple but beautiful

Sent from my MediaPad 7 Youth using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness, those cakes look scrumptious, even if some of them were a bit overdone. I don't like completely plain wedding cakes myself, even if it has become fashionable in the last decade or so. However, I just think cornucopias and birds on top doesn't look the greatest, even though I'm sure Albert and Charlene of Monaco's cake was absolutely delicious.

Okay, i don't have a clue about wedding cakes, but if you do have an extravagant one, at least cut the cake itself and not just a tiny plain one in front of the actual cake (i'm looking at you Albert&Charlene)
:lol:

Okay, i don't have a clue about wedding cakes, but if you do have an extravagant one, at least cut the cake itself and not just a tiny plain one in front of the actual cake (i'm looking at you Albert&Charlene)

I imagine it takes some time to decorate those cakes, so perhaps they are hard and dry and don't taste very nice.
The fancy cake is for show, the plain one is for eating! :lol:

It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep one of the tiers for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.

Last edited:

i know - how very strange. i would be okay with it had the small cake been similar to the big one in decorations and looks, but this looks like a total different cake all together :ermm: (bride and groom are the most important that day and this is their cake! they should totally go ahead and cut it, in my opinion. if not them, then who?). wonder why they chose to cut a cake which bears no similarity whatsoever to the real thing.

It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep the first tier for the christening party for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.

yes, i believe this is what W and K have done. if i recall well, their wedding cake was served at george's christening. when i read that, i wondered how on earth that would keep for so long. well, now i know... ?

I know they last the longest, but I have never liked fruitcake.
I much prefer current trends of all sorts of cakes and fillings- who cares if they last, as long as they taste great at the wedding!

It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep one of the tiers for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.

Curryong-Did that tradition carry over to Australia or did have Australians established their own wedding cake customs?

Australia followed Britain until the last decade or so. Some people still have fruit cake because it keeps so well but many many other mixtures have now joined it.

When I married first, at a time when fruit cake was the norm, and had chocolate cake in a heart shape for my wedding cake (with pale pink and white icing) it was considered very unusual and practically every guest remarked on it. I wished later I had had fruit cake, as we had to buy one for my eldest child's christening, lovely though my cake was!

Australia followed Britain until the last decade or so. Some people still have fruit cake because it keeps so well but many many other mixtures have now joined it.
I agree. It's quite rare to find fruit cake as a wedding cake. Of all my friends, none of us had fruit cake. It's not popular with those in my age group (I'm the same age as Duchess of Cambridge).

I detest fruit cake. My mother in law tried to convince me as it was "traditional". I told her I hated fruit cake and chocolate is a far more popular choice. Who can refuse chocolate?

I still don't understand auctioning of wedding cake. Other than the British Royal Family, I don't recall other royal houses selling off cake.

My favorites (in no specific order)

Will and Kate
Marie Chantal and Pavlos
Grace and Rainier
Philippe and Mathilde
Mette Marit and Haakon
Frederick and Mary
Victoria and Daniel
Guiluame and Stephanie
Queen Mother and George VI
Elizabeth II and Philip
Diana and Charles
Rania and Abdullah (both cakes)
Martha Louise and Ari
Sarah and Andrew
Zeina of Jordan
Carl Philip and Sofia

Least favorites

WA and Maxima
Felipe and Letizia
Albert and Charlene
Madeleine and Chris
Beatrix and Claus

Last edited:
:previous:My least favorite list is pretty much the same as yours, except I would put Carl-Philip and Sofia's strange space age-looking concoction on my list.

Ugly. I hope it was tasty enough to compensate.:cool:

FAVORITES:

William and Kate
Pavlos and Marie-Chantal
Philippe and Mathilde
Guillaume and Stephanie
Rania and Abdullah

Last edited:
:previous::lol: It's even worse than I remember!

And yes IloveCP, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silivia's cake was nearly as bad.:ohmy:

Last edited:
CP and Sofia' weird loop-y thing-y wedding cake was the worst for me...

Back
Top Bottom