The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

(Then) Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus (NL) admire their weddingcake
https://images.nrc.nl/6z0bwLlvvk6FP1...binsoest66.jpg

Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep one of the tiers for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Okay, i don't have a clue about wedding cakes, but if you do have an extravagant one, at least cut the cake itself and not just a tiny plain one in front of the actual cake (i'm looking at you Albert&Charlene)
i know - how very strange. i would be okay with it had the small cake been similar to the big one in decorations and looks, but this looks like a total different cake all together (bride and groom are the most important that day and this is their cake! they should totally go ahead and cut it, in my opinion. if not them, then who?). wonder why they chose to cut a cake which bears no similarity whatsoever to the real thing.

Quote:
It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep the first tier for the christening party for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.
yes, i believe this is what W and K have done. if i recall well, their wedding cake was served at george's christening. when i read that, i wondered how on earth that would keep for so long. well, now i know...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I know they last the longest, but I have never liked fruitcake.
I much prefer current trends of all sorts of cakes and fillings- who cares if they last, as long as they taste great at the wedding!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
It was tradition in England, up to the last decade or so to have rich fruit cake iced for your wedding cake and keep one of the tiers for the guests at the christening party for your first child. Fruit cake, done well, as it is for Royal cakes, keeps very well and moist for years. They've just found a fruit cake in a hut in the Arctic brought for a pre World War 1 expedition and they reported it was as good as new.
Curryong-Did that tradition carry over to Australia or did have Australians established their own wedding cake customs?
Old 08-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Australia followed Britain until the last decade or so. Some people still have fruit cake because it keeps so well but many many other mixtures have now joined it.

When I married first, at a time when fruit cake was the norm, and had chocolate cake in a heart shape for my wedding cake (with pale pink and white icing) it was considered very unusual and practically every guest remarked on it. I wished later I had had fruit cake, as we had to buy one for my eldest child's christening, lovely though my cake was!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Majesty

A piece of fruit cake from Prince William and Kate's royal wedding will be sold at the Printed Books and Manuscripts auction at Chiswick Auctions on 26 September

Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding cake slice up for auction
Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Australia followed Britain until the last decade or so. Some people still have fruit cake because it keeps so well but many many other mixtures have now joined it.
I agree. It's quite rare to find fruit cake as a wedding cake. Of all my friends, none of us had fruit cake. It's not popular with those in my age group (I'm the same age as Duchess of Cambridge).

I detest fruit cake. My mother in law tried to convince me as it was "traditional". I told her I hated fruit cake and chocolate is a far more popular choice. Who can refuse chocolate?

I still don't understand auctioning of wedding cake. Other than the British Royal Family, I don't recall other royal houses selling off cake.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Majesty

"A Man Has Been Holding On to a Piece of Princess Di's Wedding Cake for 36 Years"

See this 36-year-old cake from Princess Diana's wedding to Prince Charles
Old 08-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Philippe and Mathilde's cake:

Queen Mathilde: Private: Mathilde's bakers

I have never seen their cake before. I find it beautiful.
I'd never seen it before either. It's probably the smallest Royal wedding cake I've seen, but also one of the most beautiful. It's like an exquisite little jewel.

Charlottesville,Virginia. USA. 08/12/2017
. SHAME.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
A piece of fruit cake from Prince William and Kate's royal wedding will be sold at the Printed Books and Manuscripts auction at Chiswick Auctions on 26 September

Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding cake slice up for auction

Work of art.

LaRae

Tags
royal weddings, wedding cake