Royal Wedding Cakes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it...I love the soft 'unfinished' look to the frosting ..and the color palate.

LaRae

I am in love with the cake. I love the soft look of the buttercream, and the beautiful flowers. :flowers:

Never was one for over the top fondant and design.

It's pretty but that cannot possibly be "it", right? I mean that will feed not even 30 people! Will they have smaller version for each guest I wonder?

It's pretty but that cannot possibly be "it", right? I mean that will feed not even 30 people! Will they have smaller version for each guest I wonder?

Doubt it. It has to feed 600 guests. I'm assuming they have cakes for serving in the kitchens. This one is for William to cut with the saber and for Harry & Meghan to save for their anniversary.

Doubt it. It has to feed 600 guests. I'm assuming they have cakes for serving in the kitchens. This one is for William to cut with the saber and for Harry & Meghan to save for their anniversary.

The best man is cutting the cake, not the bride and groom :ohmy:

There are several tiers there. Not just one tier in the picture. But certainly not enough for 600. There are likely other tiers sliced up already.

I think that's a typo about William cutting the cake.

I'm sure that had a lot of the same cake made up for everyone else. This was the 'official' cake.

LaRae

Usually at weddings they give you a diet-sized slice of cake. Ours diet slices were placed in these little envelope-looking thingies.

I too loved the colour palette, very soft and delicate, of the Sussexes' cake. The baker did very well. I'm sure there were half a dozen duplicates stored in the kitchens.

Did they say what type of cake it was? I only saw the lovely pictures.

Yes that was released awhile back.

he dessert features elderflower syrup made at the Queen’s home in Sandringham from the estate’s own elderflower trees, as well as a sponge cake created for the newlyweds.

The cake is filled with elderflower buttercream and Amalfi lemon curd, and topped with Swiss meringue buttercream and 150 fresh flowers, including peonies and roses.

It doesn't look like what I expected, but it is indeed very beautiful.

And with those three huge sections it certainly does look like enough for 600 guests to me!

It looks like a 'naked cake' with some fresh flowers as decoration.

So this definitely can't be stored for years, but it looks delicious!

It looks like a 'naked cake' with some fresh flowers as decoration.

So this definitely can't be stored for years, but it looks delicious!

Not naked at all. Naked would either have just a crumb coat on it (very thin) or no outer icing at all. This is fully iced, its just done with buttercream.

But yes, the only way those wedding cakes store for so long, is because fondant preserves the cake longer.

My updated favorites, in no specific order:

Will and Kate
Marie Chantal and Pavlos
Grace and Rainier
Philippe and Mathilde
Mette Marit and Haakon
Frederik and Mary
Victoria and Daniel
Guiluame and Stephanie
Queen Mother and George VI
Elizabeth II and Philip
Diana and Charles
Rania and Abdullah
Martha Louise and Ari
Sarah and Andrew
Zeina of Jordan
Harry and Meghan
Hamzah and Noor

Least favorites

WA and Maxima
Felipe and Letizia
Albert and Charlene
Madeleine and Chris
Beatrix and Claus
Carl Philip and Sofia
CG and Silvia

Last edited:
I choose Prince Rashid and Princess Zeina, Charles and Diana, William and Kate, and Harry and Meghan, Stephanie and Guillaume.

Last edited:
Favourite.. the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh - a MASTERPIECE, of conception and execution.

Least favourite.. the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - NOT a masterpiece, it may have tasted delicious, but ANY competent Baker could rustle up something so simplistic, and used the Flowers and Silver Gilt to 'mask' the utter paucity of interest it creates visually.

Last edited:
But wyevale that's how they wanted the cake...it's not the baker's fault she did a simple cake.

It's a beautiful cake. It's just not what you are used to seeing. It's been a trend here for a long time.

LaRae

Eug and Jack have a gorgeous cake, but I honestly prefer the Cambridge cake for aesthetics alone...it was one of the most beautiful ever...and the Sussex cake for both looks and flavor...I absolutely LOVE lemon cake!?

Honestly I love the Sussex cake, style, color, type of cake etc. For the more Traditional Wedding cake style the Cambridges had my favorite style of cake.

Eugenie's was lovely in color and I loved the monogramed initials around the base but past that I just found it kinda meh in style.

LaRae

The Sussex cake was so stunning and delicious looking I saved it to my cell phone to marvel over!:lol:

Yes I wanted to try that cake!

LaRae

I like the look of this cake a lot more than the Sussex cake, but I'd much rather eat the lemon elderflower cake than the red velvet cake!

I like the look of this cake a lot more than the Sussex cake, but I'd much rather eat the lemon elderflower cake than the red velvet cake!

Pretty much my thoughts. I like the design of this cake better, and the colorful decorations, but I dislike red velvet cake. I'd eat a piece of lemon elderflower cake before that, even though I'm not all that impressed with elderflower. Taste-wise I'd probably go for William's chocolate groom cake.

I love the cake. I love the beautiful fall flowers and berries. And the monogram. So nice compared to the all white cakes of late.

I prefer Harry and Meghan's only because I prefer the buttercream.

The Cambridge cake was like their wedding and her dress.....blah, nothing new.

The Cambridge cake was like their wedding and her dress.....blah, nothing new.

I had not realised the wedding cake (or wedding per se, cake and the bride's dress) of the future King and Queen was meant to explore the new and exciting to keep Johny Public entertained, as opposed to what the couple may have wanted or what respected the heritage of the great family and institution they are the future face of!

How dare they have the temerity to have a traditional fruit cake when the public wnat to see Red Velvet or Lemon and Elderflower? Off with their heads!!!

William also had a groom's cake, chocolate biscuit, as an alternative served at the reception.
I grew up with fruitcake, and I like it. Nevertheless, in Britain there has been a generational shift over the last fifteen years or so away from it, traditional though it may be, and towards sponges and a variety of flavours and icing. Who knows, if William and Kate were marrying today they might not go for fruitcake either!

Back
Top Bottom