Royal Wedding Bouquets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Madeleine's bridal boquet consisted of white garden roses: Austin roses, Schneewittchen, Winchester Cathedral and Alabaster roses. There were also lilies of the valley and myrtle from Sofiero.

Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain's 1947 boquet of white orchids was by Martin Longman of the "Worshipful Company of Gardeners". :flowers::flowers:

Princess Charlene of Monaco's boquet of Singapore orchids, freesias, and lily-of the-valley was designed by Armani and made by the Palace florists.

Catherine Middleton's boquet was designed by Share Connolly.

When Anne, Viscountess Anson (Bowes-Lyon) married Prince Georg of Denmark in 1950, she carried a hand-spray of white stephanotis, orchids, and lapageria.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like color in a bouquet. It shows up so nice against a white dress.

I like color in a bouquet. It shows up so nice against a white dress.

The loveliest wedding bouquet I saw was one that the bride made herself on the morning of her wedding using flowers from the garden, so it was quite a mixture of delicate colours.

I've just seen Queen Noor's bouquet of orchids and fern and thing it is gorgeous!

I've just seen Queen Noor's bouquet of orchids and fern and thing it is gorgeous!

I hate orchids in a wedding bouquet. Don't ask me why. Not nice at all

Stephanie's bouquet is nice but, it's not one of my favorites. Here is Mary's bouquet laid on her mothers grave in Scotland.

It's odd...Stephanie's bridal gown is on my Top Five list but I have never really paid any attention to her bouquet, which was gorgeous as well. It was designed by the House of Lachaume in Paris.

Madeleine's was beautiful too!

Last edited:
Well to be honest it's hard to look at anything else when Stephanie's dress is in the picture

In the unique category, no one has been able to top Sarah of Brunie (sp). It was really beautiful how you could still see the details of the flowers even though it was gold. That bouquet better be locked in a vault somewhere.
Maxima and Mathilde's are too green, looks like they are carrying house plants.

Both tiara and gold/diamond bouquet used by Crown Princess Sarah during her wedding were lend to a niece of Queen Salaha for use during her wedding in 2012.

Crown Princess Sarah
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/57/4f/7f/574f7fcbbfe50fe55c703bfe8959bbbc.jpg

Niece of Queen Saleha of Brunei
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img19/5782/505bdd8c20f2fhajahhafiz.jpg

[....]
Maxima and Mathilde's are too green, looks like they are carrying house plants.

Yes, Princess Mathilde's bouquet was very green: http://www.trouwshop.com/images/upload/loretje/2006-03-03_154231_prins-filip-en-mathilde.jpg

But Princess Máxima had a bridal bouquet in exactly the right proportions between green and white. In the Netherlands there is a tradition of having a fair amount of green to balance with the colour of flowers. It added a nice contrast to the overall view of Máxima as bride: http://bekendebruiden.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/maxima.jpg

Yes, Princess Mathilde's bouquet was very green: http://www.trouwshop.com/images/upload/loretje/2006-03-03_154231_prins-filip-en-mathilde.jpg

But Princess Máxima had a bridal bouquet in exactly the right proportions between green and white. In the Netherlands there is a tradition of having a fair amount of green to balance with the colour of flowers. It added a nice contrast to the overall view of Máxima as bride: http://bekendebruiden.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/maxima.jpg
I hadn't known of that tradition in the NL and thank you for sharing.

I hadn't known of that tradition in the NL and thank you for sharing.

I had no idea about this tradition and I live in the Netherlands, but then I am not necessarily involved or interested in Dutch custom. Where can I read more about this tradition of combined green/flowers?

I think Queen Mathilde's bouquet looked like she pulled up a small bush and carried it. Least favorite by far.

I had no idea about this tradition and I live in the Netherlands, but then I am not necessarily involved or interested in Dutch custom. Where can I read more about this tradition of combined green/flowers?

"Het klassieke Nederlandse bruidsboeket bestaat uit veel groen met witte bloemen. In deze traditionele vorm wordt een basis gemaakt van groene bladeren en takken. Er worden weinig bloemen gebruikt, meestal één of twee soorten. Vaak wordt dan wel gekozen voor hele bijzondere bloemen."

"The classic Dutch bridal bouquet consists of lots of green with white flowers. In this traditional form a base is created with lots of green leaves and branches. Only a few flowers are used, usually one or two species. Then often a choice is made for very special flowers."

:flowers:

"Het klassieke Nederlandse bruidsboeket bestaat uit veel groen met witte bloemen. In deze traditionele vorm wordt een basis gemaakt van groene bladeren en takken. Er worden weinig bloemen gebruikt, meestal één of twee soorten. Vaak wordt dan wel gekozen voor hele bijzondere bloemen."

"The classic Dutch bridal bouquet consists of lots of green with white flowers. In this traditional form a base is created with lots of green leaves and branches. Only a few flowers are used, usually one or two species. Then often a choice is made for very special flowers." :flowers:

Thank you for the context, Duc_et_Pair. :flowers: Would never have guessed. Good to know.

I am surprised at how well Catherine's bouquet stands up across the years. I like it. I fear I never focussed on it because I am not a fan of her make-up (which she likes lots, I know, and I respect that), plus the dress always feels too 'rigid' to me. There, I've said it. ;) I always try not to say anything if I don't agree with someone's fashion choices, but in this case those two features - dress and make-up that are major - will be set aside for what really is (imo) a very charming bouquet. :flowers:

Princess Martha Louise of Norway's hair and crown are one of the best placements I have seen. So few do tiara-cum-hair (and veil) well these days imo. (As though I am an expert. I'm not. I just know what pleases me. :) )

With Queen Maxima, another excellent tiara-cum-veil (and hair) placement, and just love her bouquet. The green is a splendid contrast with the white and the bouquet itself is just the right size, even though it's largish to my eye.

So of the nine pictures presented in the link, I would say Queen Maxima's bouquet wins hands-down, with Catherine's bouquet a sturdy second. Charlene's bouquet might be a choice except that I can't see the bouquet well enough in the picture given to choose it.

Last edited:
I particularly liked Katherine's, Mary of Denmark, Victoria and Charlene's. Those are my favorites. Maxima's was pretty nice too.

Not a fan of Martha-Louise, Letizia's or Marie of Denmark's

My least favorite...Mette-Marit, that one falls into the 'what on earth was she thinking' category.

LaRae

What I thought was perfect about Kate's bouquet and we even expected her to do it way before the wedding here at TRF is that she included the Sweet William in her bouquet.

Yes that was a charming touch....and of course the traditional Myrtle!

LaRae

MM's was ugly. But I found Kate's boring and under whelming. Too small and plain for such a venue.

Is that Kate's in the pic? It really looks very small. I know her wedding dress was not "big and grandiose" and perhaps the bouquet was meant to match it but I think it is too small

Yes, Kate's bouquet was a very pretty and charming one, but more suited to a simple country wedding perhaps. After all, if you're marrying into a royal family you might as well make a splash and go for something memorable!

Last edited:
It does not look as nice as mine, which was a posy of roses... and mine was a simple quiet wedding... but then I don't feel K has much taste.. I thought her dress was very derivative..

Back
Top Bottom